Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2018 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Iraq starts deploying forces in Sinjar after Turkey's threats against PKK Press TV 31 Mar 2018 -- Iraq has started deploying forces in the country's northwestern Sinjar region after Turkey threatened to enter the area to attack Kurdish militants.
- Macron pledges support for Kurdish militants in Syria, infuriates Turkey Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has promised support for US-backed Kurdish militants in northern Syria, which has been the target of a Turkish offensive, prompting Ankara to angrily slam the offer as "clear support for terrorists."
- Turkish president sues opposition party leader over Gulen comments Press TV 29 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has filed a lawsuit against the leader of the main opposition party over "baseless" comments linking him to the US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, who is blamed for the failed coup of 2016.
- Turkey to push away YPG from borders if no deal reached with US: Cavusoglu Press TV 22 Mar 2018 -- Turkey warns that it will move to push the US-backed Kurdish militants away from Syria's Manbij if it does not reach an agreement with the US on a plan to remove them from the northern border town.
- Turkish F-16 Fighter Jet Crashes in Nevsehir Province Sputnik 22 Mar 2018 -- An F-16 fighter jet of the Turkish Air Force crashed in the central part of the country, the General Staff of the Turkish Armed Forces said Thursday.
- Turkish warplanes 'neutralize' 38 PKK members in northern Iraq: Report Press TV 21 Mar 2018 -- Turkish warplanes have "neutralized" 38 militants of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in northern Iraq, who were preparing to attack Ankara's forces, security sources say.
- Early Election Fever Grows With Turkish Military Victory in Syria VOA 21 Mar 2018 -- With Turkish led military forces scoring a decisive victory in Syria against the YPG Kurdish militia, speculation is rife in Turkey of early general and presidential elections.
- Turkish president says army to extend offensive in northwestern Syria Press TV 20 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed to extend the military operation further east of Syria's northwestern region, prompting fears of confrontation with US-led forces stationed in the area.
- UN calls on Turkey to end state of emergency, halt rights violations Press TV 20 Mar 2018 -- The United Nations has called on Ankara to end a state of emergency in place in the country since 2016, saying it has led to "massive and serious" rights violations in the southeastern Kurdish-majority areas.
- Turkish Foreign Ministry Insists Afrin Invasion Targets Terrorists, Amid Censure Sputnik 20 Mar 2018 -- The Turkish Foreign Ministry underscored that the Turkish operation in Syria's Afrin was targeting terrorists, not civilians, in response to a statement by the US State Department.
- Turkey's 18-month state of emergency has led to profound human rights violations - UN report UN News 20 Mar 2018 -- The United Nations on Tuesday called on Turkey to end its 18-month-old state of emergency, saying that the routine extension of emergency powers has resulted in "profound" human rights violations against hundreds of thousands of people and may have lasting impact on the country's socio-economic fabric.
- Iraq Ready to Cooperate With Turkey on Securing Common Borders Sputnik 20 Mar 2018 -- The Iraqi government has expressed its readiness to cooperate with Turkey on ensuring security of the countries' shared borders, the Iraqi Justice Ministry said Tuesday in a press release received by Sputnik.
- Kurds Vow to Halt 'Turkish Attempt to Establish Superiority Over Northern Syria' Sputnik 20 Mar 2018 -- With Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claiming control of northern Syria's Afrin region, the political wing of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) has promised to continue resisting "Turkish aggression."
- Civilians Who Fled Afrin Suffer from Dire Humanitarian Conditions VOA 19 Mar 2018 -- Thousands of civilians who fled the city of Afrin are enduring dire conditions after they reached Syrian-controlled areas south of the Afrin district.
- Turkish Leader Vows to Expand Military Campaign in Syria, Risking Clash with US VOA 19 Mar 2018 -- Emboldened by the Turkish-led forces' capture of the Syrian town of Afrin, Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is vowing to expand his military operation across Syria, raising the risk of a confrontation with Washington.
- Turkey Vows to Expand Syria Fight Against Kurds VOA 19 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed Monday to expand Ankara's military operations against more Kurdish strongholds in Syria, after ousting Kurds from their enclave in Afrin.
- Syria slams Ankara's capture of Afrin, wants 'immediate' Turkish withdrawal Press TV 19 Mar 2018 -- Syria's government has condemned the capture of Afrin by the Turkish military, calling on Ankara to "immediately" pull out troops from the northwestern Syrian city.
- Erdogan vows to expand Syria offensive to eastern regions Press TV 19 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed to further expand military operations against Kurdish militants in Syria to the eastern parts of the Arab country, even threatening to send troops to northern Iraq if Baghdad could not clear the region of the militants.
- Turkish troops, pro-Turkey militia will not remain in Syria's Afrin: Ankara Press TV 19 Mar 2018 -- Turkey says its military troops and pro-Ankara forces do not plan to remain in Syria's Afrin as occupiers after they ousted Kurdish militants from the northern city, insisting that Ankara will leave the region to its "real owners."
- Damascus Demands Turkish Forces' Immediate Withdrawal From Syrian Lands Sputnik 19 Mar 2018 -- According to the Syrian Foreign Ministry, Ankara's seizure of Afrin in the course of its Olive Branch Operation in Syria violates the principles enshrined in the UN Charter.
- Turkish Army Seizes US Arms Left by YPG 'Terrorists' in Afrin - Deputy PM Sputnik 19 Mar 2018 -- Speaking about the success of Turkey's military operation in Syrian Kurdish-dominated Afrin, the country's deputy Prime Minister announced that Ankara had managed to reduce the significant threat on its border by capturing the city.
- Concern Over the Situation in Afrin, Syria US Dept. of State 19 Mar 2018 -- "The United States is deeply concerned over reports from Afrin City over the last 48 hours. It appears the majority of the population of the city, which is predominantly Kurdish, evacuated under threat of attack from Turkish military forces and Turkish backed opposition forces. "
- YPG forces to shift from direct confrontation to guerrilla tactics: Afrin official Press TV 18 Mar 2018 -- The administration of Syria's Kurdish-populated northwestern Afrin region has indicated that members of the US-backed People's Protection Units (YPG) militants will shift from direct confrontation to guerrilla tactics in their battles against Turkish military forces and allied militants from the so-called Free Syrian Army.
- Syrian Kurds Vow 'New Phase' of War Against Turkish Forces in Afrin VOA 18 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the center of Afrin is entirely under the control of Turkish and allied Syrian forces and that Turkish flags have been raised over the town.
- Erdogan: Turkish troops capture center of Syria's Afrin Press TV 18 Mar 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkish troops and their militant allies have entered the Syrian city of Afrin and taken control of its center after Kurdish militia pulled out.
- Erdogan: Turkish Flags Raised Over Syrian Town VOA 18 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the center of Afrin is entirely under the control of Turkish and allied Syrian forces and that Turkish flags have been raised over the town.
- Turkish attacks kill over 20 civilians in Syria's Afrin Press TV 17 Mar 2018 -- Two separate Turkish attacks have claimed the lives of at least 22 civilians in Syria's northwestern town of Afrin as Ankara presses ahead with its operation against US-backed Kurdish militants there.
- Mass Exodus in Syria's Afrin as Turkish Offensive Continues VOA 17 Mar 2018 -- The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Saturday that more than 150,000 Afrin residents have been displaced since Wednesday as Turkish warplanes and artillery are reported to have struck the northern Syrian region overnight.
- Turkey Slams Europe Over Calls to End Syria Offensive VOA 16 Mar 2018 -- Turkey has reacted furiously to the European Parliament's motion calling for an end to Ankara's military offensive in Syria's Afrin enclave against a Kurdish militia. The motion cited concerns for the hundreds of thousands of civilians trapped in Afrin city under siege by Turkish forces for almost two months. But beyond the diplomatic haranguing, both the European Union and Ankara appear anxious to continue to work to rebuild relations.
- Turkish shelling, strikes kill 36 in Syrian town of Afrin, UN receiving 'alarming' reports on deaths Press TV 16 Mar 2018 -- The Turkish military's shelling and airstrikes against a hospital and purported positions of the People's Protection Units (YPG) militants in Syria's northwestern town of Afrin have claimed the lives of over three dozen civilians, Syrian Kurdish forces and a so-called monitoring group say.
- Thousands of Syrians Leave Afrin for Gov't-Controlled Areas Amid Turkish Advance Sputnik 16 Mar 2018 -- Tens of thousands of Syrian civilians are leaving the northern Kurdish-controlled city of Afrin as the Turkish army is tightening its grip on the city, Sputnik correspondent reported Friday, citing witnesses.
- Turkey says army to take center of Syria's Afrin 'in very short time' Press TV 15 Mar 2018 -- Turkey says its military will take the center of Syria's Afrin "in a very short time" and oust Kurdish militants from the region, amid Ankara's ongoing cross-border offensive into the Arab country in a declared bid to eliminate the US-backed Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) and other militant outfits in northwestern Syria.
- Turkey, US Will Form 'Safe Zone' Around Syria's Manbij - Erdogan's Spokesman Sputnik 15 Mar 2018 -- According to Ankara, the replacement of Tillerson with Pompeo would not affect the agreement.
- Turkey-Qatar Defense Cooperation Stepped Up As Regional Crisis Drags On Sputnik 14 Mar 2018 -- In mid-2017, Saudi Arabia and a range of other regional powers severed diplomatic and trade ties with Qatar, accusing Doha of funding terrorism and destabilizing the region. Qatar has denied the allegations, and is solidifying military ties and defense cooperation with Turkey to counter the threat posed by the Saudi-led bloc.
- Turkish hopes to fully seize Syria's Afrin region daydream: YPG spox Press TV 14 Mar 2018 -- A high-ranking member of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) has dismissed as a "daydream" Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's latest remarks that Turkish military forces and their allied militants will fully capture Syria's northwestern region of Afrin by nightfall.
- Erdogan: Turkey to Fully Encircle Afrin, Will 'Stomp' on Militants in Iraq Sputnik 14 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan expressed hope on Wednesday that Turkish servicemen would take control over the Syrian city of Afrin as early as Wednesday evening.
- Turkish Airstrikes Kill 8 Pro-Syrian Gov't Forces Near Afrin - Source Sputnik 14 Mar 2018 -- After pro-Syrian government militia joined the battle in Afrin on behalf of the Kurds, Ankara slammed the move, saying that the fighters had become Turkey's "legitimate target." Damascus has dubbed the Turkish campaign as "aggression," however, refrained from sending armed forces to the area.
- Turkey Uneasy Over Firing of Tillerson as US Top Diplomat VOA 14 Mar 2018 -- The dismissal of U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is threatening to further complicate efforts to resolve a crisis involving key NATO ally, Turkey.
- Turkish Armed Forces Reportedly Lost Over 40 Servicemen Since Start of Afrin Op Sputnik 13 Mar 2018 -- Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag announced that the country's armed forces had lost 42 soldiers since the start of the Operation Olive Branch in Syria's northern district of Afrin, while 202 servicemen had sustained injuries, local media reported on Tuesday.
- Turkish Foreign Minister Rules Out Use of S-400 Systems in Syria Operation Sputnik 13 Mar 2018 -- Turkey will not use Russian S-400 air defence systems during its operation Olive Branch in Syria's Afrin, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Tuesday.
- Turkish Forces Encircle Center of Syria's Afrin in Operation Olive Branch Sputnik 13 Mar 2018 -- The Turkish military on Tuesday surrounded the Kurdish-held Syrian city of Afrin in the course of its Operation Olive Branch, the Turkish General Staff said.
- Russia Agrees to Speed Air Defense System Delivery to Turkey Sputnik 13 Mar 2018 -- Russia will speed up the delivery of its S-400 air defense systems to Turkey at the latter's request, says Russian presidential aide Vladimir Kozhin.
- Turkey Debunks Reports on US Troops Withdrawal From Incirlik Airbase Sputnik 13 Mar 2018 -- Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag has refuted media reports about US intentions to withdraw its troops from the Incirlik airbase in southern Turkey.
- Turkish forces lay siege to Syria's key Kurdish town, civilians fleeing Press TV 13 Mar 2018 -- Turkish forces and allied Syrian militants have laid siege to the main urban center of the Kurdish region of Afrin in northwestern Syria, forcing thousands of the civilian population in the city to escape their homes.
- Contentious electoral bill passes Turkish parliament, brawl erupts at legislature Press TV 13 Mar 2018 -- Turkish lawmakers have approved controversial legislation that will overhaul existing electoral regulations, amid angry reactions by opposition politicians who say the new law would facilitate fraud.
- Turkish Forces Surround Key Syrian Kurdish City VOA 13 Mar 2018 -- Turkish led forces are claiming to have surrounded the city of Afrin, home to several thousand people in northwestern Syria, and the main target of Turkey's Operation Olive Branch.
- Turkey, US to oversee withdrawal of Kurds from Manbij: Cavusoglu Press TV 13 Mar 2018 -- Turkey and the United States are set to oversee the withdrawal of Kurdish militants from the northern Syria city of Manbij, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says.
- Pentagon Slams Report of Reduced US Ops at Turkish Base as 'Speculation' Sputnik 12 Mar 2018 -- Amid rising tensions between Ankara and Washington, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing unnamed US officials, that the US military has slashed its operations at Turkey's Incirlik air base. However, later the Pentagon refuted the report.
- Turkey begins debating changes to electoral laws Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- The Turkish parliament has begun debating a series of changes in the country's electoral laws, something that opponents of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan say would further consolidate his powers while affecting the integrity of votes.
- Russia to start delivering S-400 missile systems to Turkey in early 2020 Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- Russia will begin the delivery of S-400 surface-to-air missile defense systems to Turkey under an agreement concluded between the two countries late last year.
- US slashes military operations at Turkey base amid rising tensions Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- The US military has reportedly slashed its combat operations at Turkey's Incirlik air base, and is contemplating permanent cutbacks there amid rising tensions between the two NATO allies over Washington's steadfast support for the Kurdish militants operating at Turkish doorstep in Syria.
- Erdogan censures NATO for not helpimg in Turkey's Syria operations Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has slammed NATO over its refusal to aid Ankara in its anti-terror operations in Syria's northwestern region of Afrin.
- Don't Even Try: Ankara Vows Response to Possible US Sanctions Over S-400 Deal Sputnik 10 Mar 2018 -- Turkey is ready to respond to possible US sanctions, for example, those over Ankara's decision to purchase Russian S-400 Triumf air defense systems, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said.
- Turkish jets bomb northern Iraq, hit 'PKK targets' Press TV 11 Mar 2018 -- Turkey says its warplanes have destroyed at least 18 targets reportedly belonging to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in northern Iraq.
- Turkish Warplanes Conduct Raids in Northern Iraq, Destroy 18 Kurdish Targets Sputnik 11 Mar 2018 -- In conjunction with allied Syrian militants, the Turkish military launched operation Olive Branch in January 2018 to oust Kurdish-led forces, which allegedly have ties to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), from parts of northern Syria near the border with Turkey.
- Turkey to Host Tripartite Summit on Syria VOA 10 Mar 2018 -- A preliminary tripartite meeting among the foreign ministers of Russia, Iran and Turkey is expected to be held in Kazakhstan's capital, Astana, next week to discuss the deteriorating situation in Syria, as well as to set the agenda for a summit on Syria by leaders of the three countries in April.
- Greece close to fatal accident with Turkey: Defense minister Press TV 10 Mar 2018 -- The Greek defense minister has slammed Turkey for what he said was violating its airspace and territorial waters, warning that Athens is on the verge of a "fatal accident" with Ankara.
- Syrian Kurds accuse Turkey of ethnic cleansing in Afrin region: Report Press TV 10 Mar 2018 -- Syrian Kurds in the country's northwestern Afrin region have accused Turkey of waging an ethnic cleansing campaign against the residents of the enclave as Turkish forces intensify their military aggression against the region.
- Turkish troops will enter Syria's Afrin 'at any moment': President Erdogan Press TV 10 Mar 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country's troops will enter Syria's northern city of Afrin "at any moment," less than two months after Ankara launched a full-scale cross-border offensive into the Arab country in a declared bid to eliminate the US-backed Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militants.
- Turkey issues arrest warrants for 243 over affiliation to Gulen network Press TV 09 Mar 2018 -- Turkish prosecutors have issued arrest warrants for 243 people, including 92 teachers, on suspicion of affiliation to a movement led by US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom the Ankara government accuses of having masterminded the failed July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Turkey, Iraq to carry out joint military ops against PKK in N Iraq: Turkish FM Press TV 08 Mar 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Ankara and Baghdad will carry out a joint military operation against members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in the northern parts of the Arab country.
- Turkish forces, allied militants capture town in Syria's Afrin Press TV 08 Mar 2018 -- Turkish army forces and allied militants from the so-called Free Syrian Army (FSA) have seized control of a town in Syria's northwestern Afrin region that has been the target of a military campaign over the past weeks.
- Turkish Forces Take Control of Jandaris Town in Syria's Afrin – Reports Sputnik 08 Mar 2018 -- Turkish forces took control of the town of Jandaris in Syria's Afrin as part of Operation Olive Branch, the Daily Sabah newspaper reported.
- Turkey Announces Preliminary End Date of Olive Branch Op in Afrin Sputnik 08 Mar 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has said that the country's military will end the operation in Syria's Afrin by early May, CNN Turk reported Thursday.
- Turkey Eyes Refugees Returning to Afrin, Syria VOA 08 Mar 2018 -- Questions about the fate of Syrian refugees in Turkey are emerging as its forces in Syria's Afrin province fight a Kurdish militia linked to a long-running insurgency within Turkish borders.
- Turkey, Iran part of 'triangle of evil' in region: Saudi crown prince Press TV 08 Mar 2018 -- Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman claims Turkey and Iran, along with extremist groups, have formed a "triangle of evil" in the region amid Riyadh's anger over Tehran-Ankara cooperation in Syria and the Turkish support for Qatar in the standoff with a Riyadh-led quartet of states.
- Turkey Urges US to Prevent YPG Redeployment From Syria's Manbij to Afrin Sputnik 07 Mar 2018 -- Ankara urges Washington to prevent redeployment of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) from Syria's Manbij to Afrin, Ibrahim Kalin, the spokesman of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said Wednesday.
- Tensions Re-Emerge Ahead of Key Turkey-US Talks VOA 07 Mar 2018 -- Turkish and U.S. officials are scheduled to meet Thursday to resolve unprecedented bilateral tensions between the NATO allies.
- Turkey calls on US to stop YPG militants' advance to Syria's Afrin Press TV 07 Mar 2018 -- A high-ranking Turkish official has called upon the United States to stop militants from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) from moving to Syria's northwestern region of Afrin, where Ankara is conducting a cross-border military operation.
- Turkey Calls for 24-Hour Ceasefire in Eastern Ghouta - Presidential Spokesman Sputnik 07 Mar 2018 -- Ankara is taking measures to extend the Eastern Ghouta ceasefire in Syria from 4-5 hours to 24 hours a day, presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said.
- Putin Discusses Situation in Syria's Eastern Ghouta With Erdogan Sputnik 07 Mar 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed situation in Eastern Ghouta in the context of the UN Security Council's resolution on the Syrian ceasefire in a phone conversation with Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Kremlin's press service said in a statement.
- Turkish court sentences 65 to life in prison over 2016 botched putsch Press TV 06 Mar 2018 -- A court in Turkey has sentenced 65 former military personnel to life imprisonment on charges of involvement in the July 2016 coup attempt, which the Ankara government says was orchestrated by US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen.
- Turkey to build refugee camp in Syria's Idlib Press TV 06 Mar 2018 -- Turkey says it is building a camp for refugees inside the Syrian territory as it seeks to allay concerns about its devastating campaign against Kurdish militants, which has forced hundreds of thousands out of their homes.
- Turkey expects US to take back weapons handed to Syria-based Kurdish militants: Foreign Ministry Press TV 06 Mar 2018 -- Turkey says it wants the United States to take back the weapons it has given to Syria-based Kurdish militants, whom Ankara considers a threat to its security, and will discuss the issue with American officials in an upcoming meeting.
- Erdogan Slams NATO's Negative Reaction to S-400 Deal With Russia Sputnik 06 Mar 2018 -- President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday accused NATO of having double standards following the alliance's reaction to Ankara buying an anti-aircraft S-400 missile system from Russia.
- Turkey asks Germany to detain, extradite Kurdish leader Saleh Muslim Press TV 05 Mar 2018 -- Turkey has asked Germany to detain and extradite Salih Muslim, a senior Kurdish figure from Syria whom Ankara blames for two terror attacks in the capital Ankara that killed dozens.
- Turkish airstrikes leave 13 civilians dead in Syria's Afrin Press TV 05 Mar 2018 -- Turkish airstrikes have claimed the lives of more than a dozen civilians in Syria's northwestern region of Afrin as Ankara is continuing its cross-border military operation against the purported positions of US-backed militants from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) there.
- Battle for Afrin: 48 Pro-Syrian Gov't Fighters Killed Amid Turkish Op Sputnik 05 Mar 2018 -- To date 48 pro-Damascus soldiers have died during the clashes with Turkey and allied opposition groups in Afrin, Behchet Ebdo, the chairman of the Afrin Canton Council told Sputnik. Ankara is continuing on with its Operation Olive Branch regardless of UN Resolution 2401 which stipulates the cessation of hostilities between the warring parties.
- Turkish Troops Gain Control Over Nearly Half of Afrin Operation Area - Official Sputnik 05 Mar 2018 -- The Turkish army in cooperation with militias loyal to Ankara have established their control over almost half of the territory of the Syrian northern district of Afrin, where Turkey is holding a military operation against the Kurdish militants, the Turkish deputy prime minister said Monday.
- Turkey, Russia Have No Disagreements Over Ankara's Afrin Operation - Erdogan Sputnik 04 Mar 2018 -- There are no contradictions over Turkey's Olive Branch operation in Syria's Afrin between Ankara and Moscow, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday.
- Turkish Army Claims to Have Neutralized Over 2,600 Militants During Afrin Op Sputnik 04 Mar 2018 -- The Turkish forces have neutralized 2,612 members of the terrorist organizations in Syrian northern district of Afrin since start of Ankara's operation in the region, the General Staff of the Turkish Armed Forces said Sunday.
- 13 people detained in Turkey for opposing Afrin operation Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Turkish forces have arrested more than a dozen people over their vehement opposition to the Ankara government's military operation in Syria's northwestern region of Afrin against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militant group.
- Turkish warplanes kill at least 36 Syrian pro-government forces in Afrin: SOHR Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Turkish warplanes have killed at least 36 pro-Syrian government forces in their airstrikes on Syria's northwestern Kurdish region of Afrin, a monitoring group affiliated to Syria's foreign-based opposition groups says.
- 41 Turkish troops killed during operation in north Syria: Minister Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- Ankara says 41 of its soldiers have been killed in Syria's northwestern region of Afrin, where the Turkish military has been engaged in a ground operation against US-backed Kurdish militants for more than a month.
- Turkish Forces, Free Syrian Army Reportedly Capture Town of Rajo Near Afrin Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- Fierce fighting near a town located to the northwest of the embattled city of Afrin was ongoing as the Turkish armed forces launched the second phase of operation Olive Branch, aimed at the elimination of Kurdish armed factions in northern Syria that Ankara considers to be terrorists.
- Monitor: Turkish Airstrikes Kill 36 Pro-Syrian Government Fighters VOA 03 Mar 2018 -- Turkish warplanes attacked pro-Syrian government forces Saturday in Syria's northwestern Kurdish enclave of Afrin, killing at least 36 fighters, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
- Turkey Expects F-35 Delivery Soon, But Greeks, Armenians Seek to Block Deal Sputnik 02 Mar 2018 -- The Turkish armed forces are expecting to take delivery of their first F-35 joint strike fighters before the end of 2018, according to Turkish daily Yeni Safak.
- Ankara Faces Mounting Pressure Over Syria Operation VOA 02 Mar 2018 -- The Turkish military says eight Turkish soldiers and 13 others were wounded in fighting in northern Syria's Afrin enclave in one of the deadliest days for the Turkish military since it launched "Operation Olive Branch" against the Syrian Kurdish militia, YPG, in January.
- 17 dead as Turkish helicopters hit pro-government forces in Syria's Afrin Press TV 02 Mar 2018 -- Turkish military helicopters, operating as part of an unauthorized campaign in Syria's Afrin, have reportedly targeted a group of pro-government forces defending the northern region.
- Turkish attacks on Syria's Afrin leave nearly two dozen civilians dead Press TV 02 Mar 2018 -- Nearly two dozen people have lost their lives when Turkish military forces launched a series of attacks against the purported positions of US-backed militants from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in Syria's northwestern region of Afrin.
- Turkey Imposes Curfew in 3 Districts Amid Anti-Kurdish Op Sputnik 02 Mar 2018 -- Turkey has introduced a curfew in its three districts located in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir as the Turkish forces are carrying out an operation against Kurdish militants, the province's authorities said.
- Turkey orders arrest of 154 over alleged Gulen links Press TV 02 Mar 2018 -- State prosecutors in Turkey have issued arrest warrants for 154 people, including navy officers, teachers, and union members, for alleged links to a US-based Turkish figure accused of organizing a coup against Ankara in 2016.
- Armenia Scrapping Protocols To Normalize Relations With Turkey RFE/RL 01 Mar 2018 -- Armenia has canceled two 2009 protocols aimed at normalizing bilateral relations with bitter regional rival Turkey, the Caucasus country's presidential office says.
- Turkey Sends Special Police Forces to Afrin - Reports Sputnik 01 Mar 2018 -- Turkey's military advance in the Kurdish-dominated area was launched on January 20 and continues amid the UN Security Council's recent resolution 2401, calling on all parties to immediately cease hostilities in the area to secure safe and unhindered humanitarian aid supplies, as well as medical evacuations.
- Kurdish Forces Reportedly Hit Turkish Helicopter in Northern Syria Sputnik 01 Mar 2018 -- A Turkish attack helicopter was hit in northern Syria but was able to safely fly back to Turkey this afternoon, according to Kurdish media.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list