Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2017 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Turkey opens largest trial over failed putsch in Ankara Press TV 28 Feb 2017 -- Turkey has opened the biggest trial of those suspected of involvement in last July's attempted coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Turkey Establishes Temporary Base in Freshly Captured Syrian Al Bab Sputnik 28 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish army established a temporary military base in the Syrian town of Al Bab, the base is used as depot to repair armored vehicles taking part in the Euphrates Shield operation, according to local media.
- S-400 Deal to Be 'Priority' in Upcoming Talks Between Putin, Erdogan in Moscow Sputnik 28 Feb 2017 -- Russian President Putin and Turkish President Erdogan will discuss the purchase of S-400 air defense missile systems during their upcoming meeting in Moscow, Turkish chief presidential adviser Ilnur Cevik said Tuesday.
- Turkish General Staff Confutes Reports on Forces Discontent With Government Sputnik 28 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish General Staff called media reports on disagreements between the servicemen and government "unjustified criticism," according to official statement.
- Erdogan: Kurdish PYD/YPG Militia Forces Must Leave Syrian Manbij Sputnik 28 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated that Syria's city of Manbij is not a place for Syria's Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) and Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), city belongs to Arabs.
- Road to Nowhere: Syrian Army Blocks Turkey's Assault on Raqqa Sputnik 28 Feb 2017 -- The Syrian army, which continues its advance on the northern city of al-Bab, approached Manbij, another city in northern Syria where the Syrian Democratic Forces have positions in a move designed to block Turkey's offensive on Raqqa, unnamed sources told Sputnik Turkey.
- Turkey's Move Against Kurds in Manbij to Impact Coalition Campaign - Commander Sputnik 28 Feb 2017 -- Turkish military move against the Kurdish forces in the Syrian city of Manbij could interfere with the US-led coalition campaign against the Daesh terror group (banned in Russia), US Central Command head Gen. Joseph Votel said on Tuesday.
- Turkey Opposes Creation of Safe Zones in Kurdish Areas of Syria Because of PKK Sputnik 28 Feb 2017 -- Turkey is against the creation of a safe zone in Syria's Kurdish areas because it may help PKK fighters, the country's chief presidential adviser said.
- Russia to Start Air Mission Over Turkey on Monday Sputnik 27 Feb 2017 -- The head of Russia's Nuclear Risk Reduction Center said that Russian inspectors would conduct an aerial surveillance flight over Turkey.
- Free and Fair or Unfree and Unfair? Debate Over Turkish Referendum Intensifies Sputnik 27 Feb 2017 -- In April, a referendum on constitutional change will be held in Turkey. If successful, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will be granted greater powers, and could stay in office until 2029 - the prospect has sharply divided Turkish society, and prompted questions over the reforms' true implications and reach.
- Turkey Sends Troops, Armored Personnel Carriers to Syrian Border - Reports Sputnik 27 Feb 2017 -- A train carrying military vehicles of the Turkish Armed Forces on Monday arrived to the southeastern Turkish province of Gaziantep near the border with Syria, Anadolu news agency reported citing an anonymous military source.
- Greek Defense Minister Warns Against Turkish 'Foot' on Disputed Islands Sputnik 26 Feb 2017 -- Greece will do everything to prevent Turkey from getting to its territory, Greek Minister of National Defense Panos Kammenos said Sunday, adding that Greece is ready to rebuff Ankara in case of any provocation.
- Turkish premier says yes vote in April referendum to stabilize country Press TV 25 Feb 2017 -- In an attempt to rally support for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Turkey's prime minister has called for a yes vote in an upcoming constitutional referendum, arguing that a boost to the president's power would lead to a more stabilized country.
- Turkey shifting to open prisons amid jail overcrowding Press TV 24 Feb 2017 -- Turkey says prisoners serving lighter sentences would be transferred to open prisons amid reports of jail overcrowding since Ankara began its crackdown in the wake of the failed coup of July 2016.
- Turkey urges expats in Germany to spy for Erdogan: Report Press TV 24 Feb 2017 -- Turkey's government has reportedly asked teachers and parents of Turkish origin in Germany to collect information on any criticism of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in German schools.
- Goals of Euphrates Shield Operation in Syria Achieved - Turkish General Staff Sputnik 24 Feb 2017 -- The goals set at the beginning of the Euphrates Shield operation in Syria have been reached, Chief of the Turkish General Staff Hulusi Akar said Friday.
- Turkey-Backed Syrian Rebels Fully Control Al-Bab Sputnik 24 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish General Staff has confirmed that Free Syrian Army (FSA) rebels gained full control over al-Bab previously controlled by Daesh.
- Turkey Wants to Buy Russian S-400 to 'Develop Its Own Missile Defense System' Sputnik 24 Feb 2017 -- Ankara has expressed interest in purchasing the S-400 Triumf mobile surface-to-air missile systems from Russia to develop its own air defense system, Turkish MP Ahmet Berat Conkar of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) told Sputnik Turkey.
- Turkey's Air Forces Kill 27 PKK Militants in Northern Iraq - General Staff Sputnik 24 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish Air Forces killed 27 Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants in an operation carried out in northern Iraq, the General Staff of the Turkish army said Friday.
- Turkey Ramps Up Pressure on Washington to Abandon Syrian Kurds VOA 24 Feb 2017 -- Top Turkish officials are increasing pressure on the United States to dissolve the American military partnership with Syrian Kurds in the battle against Islamic State.
- Turkey, Saudi advance own interests in Iraq: Ex-US ambassador to Baghdad Press TV 24 Feb 2017 -- After a full liberation of Mosul, Iraq needs to dispatch its troops to the border with Syria, Turkey and Saudi Arabia to prevent terrorists from returning to the country, a US-based journalist says.
- Turkey says nearly in full control of Syria's al-Bab Press TV 23 Feb 2017 -- Turkish Defense Minister Fikri Isik says his country's armed forces and allied militants are almost in full control of the Syrian city of al-Bab taking the city from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Turkish Army Will Allow Women to Wear Headscarves With Uniforms Sputnik 23 Feb 2017 -- On Wednesday Turkish defense officials said the country's military will begin allowing women to wear headscarves with their uniforms, despite the country's armed forces historically viewing themselves as secular institutions.
- Tension Rising Between Regional Rivals Turkey and Iran VOA 22 Feb 2017 -- Tensions are on the rise between Turkey and Iran. A growing war of words between the countries' diplomats has brought to the surface simmering competition for influence in the region.
- Turkish Coast Guard Vessels Enter Greek Waters Near Imia Island Sputnik 22 Feb 2017 -- The Greek navy and coast guard monitored that Turkish coast guard vessels entered Greek territorial waters near the disputed islet of Imia in the southeast Aegean, according to local media reports.
- Why Turkey Wants to Obtain Russian-Made S-400 Air Defense Systems Sputnik 22 Feb 2017 -- Turkey urgently needs to deploy its own independent air defense system to cope with modern security threats, retired Turkish Brigade General Nejat Eslen told Sputnik, stressing that the Russian-made S-400 Triumf is one of the best anti-aircraft systems in the world.
- Turkish parliament strips pro-Kurdish opposition party leader of lawmaking status Press TV 21 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish parliament has removed Figen Yuksekdag, the co-leader of the pro-Kurdish opposition Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), from her status as a legislator, three months after security forces detained the lawmaker as part of a "counter-terrorism investigation."
- Turkey-Russia Talks on S-400 Deliveries 'Positive' - Turkish Foreign Minister Sputnik 21 Feb 2017 -- Turkish Foreign Minister said that negotiations with Russia on deliveries of advanced S-400 Triumf air defense systems to Turkey are progressing successfully.
- Turkish President Resurrects Death Penalty Issue VOA 21 Feb 2017 -- Protesters chant, "We want the death penalty|," as 40 soldiers are led into an Ankara court. The soldiers are accused of trying to assassinate President Recep Tayyip Erdogan during a failed coup in July, in which more than 250 people were killed.
- Turkey Says it Will Attack Syrian Kurdish Forces at Manbij VOA 20 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has declared his nation's forces will liberate the Syrian town of Manbij from the Kurdish YPG and hand it back to local Arabs.
- Turkey to Use Strategy Implemented in Al-Bab Against Terrorists in Raqqa Sputnik 20 Feb 2017 -- Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said that the situation in Al Bab is now under control, however the operation to clear the city from terrorists is still continuing.
- Turkey fires over 200 judges, prosecutors over alleged links to Gulen Press TV 20 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish government has dismissed 227 more judges and prosecutors over alleged links to an outlawed movement, as Ankara continues with its crackdown following last July's failed putsch against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Ankara detains nearly 1,600 for alleged links to militants Press TV 20 Feb 2017 -- Nearly 1,600 people have been detained in Turkey over the last week for suspected links to militant groups launching terror attacks in the country.
- Trial of 44 Suspects in Erdogan Assassination Attempt Begins in Turkey Sputnik 20 Feb 2017 -- A total of 47 supporters of Islamic preacher Fethullah Gulen, living in exile in the United States, are charged with attempting to assassinate Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan during the July 15 failed military coup, according to local media reports.
- Turkey presents Raqqah occupation plan to US Press TV 19 Feb 2017 -- Turkey has presented the United States with two plans for an alleged potential operation to "liberate" the northern Syrian city of Raqqah from Daesh.
- Turkey arrests 26 following car bomb blamed on PKK militants Press TV 18 Feb 2017 -- Turkish security forces have arrested at least 26 people in connection with the recent car bomb attack in the country's Kurdish-majority province of Sanliurfa, which claimed the lives of two civilians and left more than a dozen others injured.
- Top US General Hears Turkey's Complaints About Kurdish Fighters VOA 18 Feb 2017 -- The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Joseph Dunford, met his Turkish counterpart Hulusi Akar Friday at NATO's Incirlik airbase in southern Turkey. Talks between the NATO allies reportedly focused on Washington's support for Syrian Kurdish militias in the fight against the Islamic State group.
- Turkey close to capturing Syria's al-Bab from Daesh: Army Press TV 17 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish military has claimed that it is close to capturing the northern Syrian city of al-Bab in Raqqah Province from the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Bilateral Meeting with Turkish Minister of Defense Fikri Isik DoD 16 Feb 2017
- Two dozen Syrian civilians, including children, killed in Turkish bombardment of al-Bab: Group Press TV 16 Feb 2017 -- At least two dozen civilians, including children, have been killed in airstrikes and shelling by the Turkish military in Syria's northern border city of al-Bab over the past 24 hours, a monitoring group says.
- Turkish Forces 'Could Stay' in Syria's al-Bab After Its Liberation Sputnik 16 Feb 2017 -- On Thursday morning, Turkish media released reports about the full liberation of the Syrian city of al-Bab from Daesh, citing the head of the Turkish General Staff Hulusi Akar. Capturing the city is of strategic importance to Turkey in order to prevent the Syrian Kurds taking it and unifying their own territories.
- Over 20 Civilians Dead in Turkish Strikes on Syria's Al-Bab - Kurdish Politician Sputnik 16 Feb 2017 -- At least 24 civilians have died as a result of the Turkish offensive on northern Syria's Al Bab, Rezan Hedo, a member of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Council, told Sputnik on Thursday.
- Iraq calls on Turkey to withdraw forces as precondition for normal ties IRNA 16 Feb 2017 -- Iraq says withdrawal of the Turkish forces from the country's northern territories is the key to resumption of ties between Ankara and Baghdad.
- Turkish Aircraft Destroy Four PKK Targets in Southern Country's Region Sputnik 15 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish Air Force destroyed four targets of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the Amanos Mountains located in the country's south, local media reported.
- Fears Grow Over Fairness of Upcoming Election in Turkey VOA 15 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has signed into law constitutional amendments aimed at giving him sweeping new powers under an executive presidency. The reforms are deeply divisive, with supporters saying they will strengthen democracy, while critics warn of dictatorship. Turks will decide in a referendum set for April 16. Doubts over its fairness are growing among opponents of the reforms, who claim a crackdown against them already has started.
- Iran dismisses Erdogan's allegations of Tehran's interference in Iraq, Syria Press TV 15 Feb 2017 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi has dismissed recent anti-Tehran remarks by the Turkish president, stressing that promoting security in the region has been among the Islamic Republic's main foreign policies.
- Turkey arrests 600 over alleged PKK links ahead of referendum Press TV 14 Feb 2017 -- Turkey has arrested more than 600 people for alleged links to Kurdish militants ahead of a referendum on constitutional amendments that would give the president sweeping executive powers.
- Turkish PM Says Referendum to Amend 'Coup-Produced Constitution' Sputnik 14 Feb 2017 -- Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim stated that Turkish citizens will go to ballot boxes and change "coup-produced constitution" during referendum on April 16.
- 60 Syrian civilians killed in Turkish shelling of Syrian city: Group Press TV 14 Feb 2017 -- A monitoring group says at least 60 civilians been killed in shelling by the Turkish military in Syria's northern border town of al-Bab over the past few days.
- Turkish-Russian Rapprochement Questioned VOA 13 Feb 2017 -- Russia is to host a pan-Kurdish conference Wednesday, and among those invited to attend are members of the Syrian Kurdish group the PYD.
- Turkish Police Detain Over 1,300 Terrorist Suspects During Last Week Sputnik 13 Feb 2017 -- 1,300 terror suspects, including 45 supposed the Daesh members, were arrsted in Turkey since February 6, according to Turkey's Interior Ministry statement.
- Syrian Kurds Want Turkish 'Occupants' to Stay Away From Liberating Raqqa Sputnik 13 Feb 2017 -- The Syrian Kurds are capable of liberating the city of Raqqa, a stronghold of the Daesh terrorist group, on their own without participation of Turkey, Representative to Russia of Northern Syria's Rojava Kurdish region Rodi Osman told Sputnik.
- Turkey renews call for establishment of safe zone in northern Syria Press TV 13 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has renewed his call for the establishment of a "safe zone" in northern Syria, an area he says should be free from terrorists and should include a "no-fly zone."
- Raqqah final goal of Turkey's incursion into Syria: Erdogan Press TV 12 Feb 2017 -- Turkey's president has claimed that the ultimate goal of the country's incursion into Syria is to "cleanse" a border region, including the cities of al-Bab and Raqqah, of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists.
- Turkish forces, allied militants enter Syria's northern city of al-Bab Press TV 12 Feb 2017 -- Turkish forces along with allied militants have entered the Daesh-held Syrian city of al-Bab, says a UK-based monitoring group.
- Erdogan Says Turkish Forces Advanced Into Center of Syrian Town of al-Bab Sputnik 12 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan stated that Turkish forces together with Free Syrian Army entered the center of the northern Syrian town of al-Bab.
- Russian Military Inspectors to Assess Designated Area in Turkey Sputnik 13 Feb 2017 -- Chief of Directorate of Treaty Monitoring of the Russian Defense Ministry Sergey Ryzhkov said that a group of Russian inspectors would visit a designated location in Turkey under the Vienna Document to verify the information on the military activity in the area.
- Turkish Court Formally Charges Nightclub Massacre Suspect VOA 11 Feb 2017 -- A Turkish court has formally charged an Uzbek man with murdering 39 people and wounding scores of others in a New Year's Day shooting rampage at an Istanbul nightclub.
- CIA chief Pompeo visits Turkey to seek better bilateral relations Press TV 10 Feb 2017 -- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Director Mike Pompeo is paying an official visit to Turkey to explore avenues for an improvement in relations between Washington and Ankara, which soured under the administration of former US President Barack Obama.
- Erdogan approves bill on constitutional reforms, paving way for referendum Press TV 10 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has approved a bill that would change the country's political system into a presidential one if such a change is approved in a referendum.
- Turkey's Erdogan Approves Constitutional Reform Bill, Paving Way For April Vote RFE/RL 10 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has approved a constitutional reform bill that paves the way for an executive presidential system that would strengthen his powers.
- Turkish Airstrikes, Artillery Target 150 Daesh Positions During Al-Bab Operation Sputnik 10 Feb 2017 -- Turkish airstrikes and shelling targeting over 150 Daesh positions and strongholds in Syria's al-Bab have killed a total of 23 IS militants, local media reported Friday, citing a Turkish military statement.
- Turkey's Erdogan Signs Constitutional Changes on Presidential Form of Governance Sputnik 10 Feb 2017 -- Turkey will hold a referendum on whether to introduce the presidential form of governance.
- Turkey gave coordinates for al-Bab airstrikes: Kremlin Press TV 10 Feb 2017 -- Moscow says the Russian air force conducted recent airstrikes that accidentally killed three Turkish soldiers in Syria based on coordinates provided by Turkey.
- Government soldiers, Turkish forces clash in Syria: Group Press TV 10 Feb 2017 -- A monitoring group says Syrian government soldiers and Turkish forces have clashed near Syria's border with Turkey, in a first such confrontation since Turkish forces entered Syrian territory without permission from Damascus.
- Turkish MoD Claims Russia Knew Turkish Army's Coordinates in Al-Bab Strike Area Sputnik 10 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish General Staff claimed that Russian military had been warned in advance of the presence of Turkish servicemen in the area targeted by the Russian jets in Syria's al-Bab.
- Turkey Satisfied With Russia's Response After Airstrike Incident - Source Sputnik 10 Feb 2017 -- A high-ranking Turkish military source in Ankara told Sputnik that Turkey has positively assessed Russia's constructive position in connection with the airstrike incident in northern Syria.
- Putin condoles with Erdogan after mistaken airstrikes kill 3 Turkish troops Press TV 09 Feb 2017 -- Moscow has "expressed condolences" to Ankara over the accidental death of three Turkish soldiers in Russian counter-terrorism air raids in Syria.
- CIA Chief's Ankara Visit Sparks Hope of Reset in Bilateral Relations VOA 09 Feb 2017 -- Ankara rolled out the red carpet Thursday for U.S. Central Intelligence Agency Director Mike Pompeo, who met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim and his Turkish counterpart, Hakan Fidan.
- Kremlin Confirms Accidental Russian Airstrike Kills Turkish Soldiers in Syria Sputnik 09 Feb 2017 -- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov confirmed to Sputnik that Russian President Vladimir Putin expressed condolences to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan over an accidental Russian airstrike that had killed Turkish soldiers in Syria.
- Putin, Erdogan Agree to Expand Russia-Turkey Military Coordination in Syria Sputnik 09 Feb 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan discussed in a phone call on Thursday the situation in Syria and steps aimed at expanding joint efforts in the fight against Daesh and other terrorist groups in the war-torn country, the Kremlin press service said.
- Erdogan urges nation to vote for stronger presidency as purge continues Press TV 08 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on the nation to vote in favor of bolstering his presidential powers, stressing that failure to do so will strengthen militants trying to divide the country.
- Turkey 'Has Own Specific Tasks in Syria' - Russian Diplomat Sputnik 08 Feb 2017 -- Moscow believes that it would be wrong to say that Turkey does not have its own specific tasks in Syria, a senior Russian diplomat told Sputnik Wednesday.
- Turkey Coordinates Al-Bab Campaign With Russia to Avoid Clashes With Damascus Sputnik 08 Feb 2017 -- Turkey coordinates its military campaign in the northeastern Syrian city of al-Bab with Russia to prevent clashes with the government forces, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said Wednesday.
- Turkey President Mute About US Travel Ban in Hope of Concessions VOA 08 Feb 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by telephone Tuesday with his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and the White House described the 45-minute conversation as productive.
- Turkish, Rebel Fighters Seize Area Around Key Syrian Town VOA 08 Feb 2017 -- Turkey's military said Wednesday that Syrian rebel forces with Turkish support have taken control of strategic hills surrounding the Islamic State-held town of al-Bab.
- War on Daesh Rages On: Syrian Army, Turkish Troops Enter Outskirts of al-Bab Sputnik 08 Feb 2017 -- According to information from sources in the Syrian Arab Army, Turkish troops together with the Syrian army have launched an offensive on the outskirts of the Syrian town of al-Bab. Sputnik Turkey spoke with Syrian commander Ahmed Osman about this operation.
- Moscow Believes Turkey Not Creating Buffer Zone in North Syria Amid Al-Bab Op Sputnik 08 Feb 2017 -- Moscow believes Turkey is not currently creating a buffer zone in northern Syria, a senior Russian diplomat told Sputnik.
- Russia, Turkey, Iran and UN hash out details of monitoring regime for Syria ceasefire UN News 07 Feb 2017 -- The delegations of Russia, Turkey and Iran as well as United Nations representatives held their first meeting yesterday to discuss the establishment of a ceasefire implementation regime in Syria that was decided at the 23-24 January talks held in the Kazakh capital of Astana, a UN spokesperson in Geneva said today.
- Turkish Forces Kill 21 Daesh Terrorists in Northern Syria in 24 Hours Sputnik 07 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish army announced that it had killed 21 Daesh terrorists in Syria over the course of 24 hours.
- Turkey mobilizing funds for megaprojects Press TV 06 Feb 2017 -- Turkey says it is moving billions of dollars in state assets to a sovereign wealth fund in what appears to be a plan by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to finance a series of ambitious infrastructure projects.
- Turkey detains 748 Daesh suspects in nationwide operations Press TV 06 Feb 2017 -- Security forces in Turkey have raised the number of detained suspects linked to the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group to nearly 750 people, says the Interior Ministry.
- Turkish Deputy PM Vows Referendum on Constitutional Changes to Be Transparent Sputnik 06 Feb 2017 -- Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus expressed hope that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan would approve all the 18 articles of the of constitutional reform, despite the rumors that some of the amendments would be rejected.
- Turkish Security Forces Launch Major IS Crackdown VOA 06 Feb 2017 -- Since early Sunday, Turkish police have been breaking down the doors of suspected Islamic State members, detaining more than 700 people across the country.
- Total of 149 Turkish Officers Involved in Summer Coup Attempt Still at Large Sputnik 05 Feb 2017 -- 21 sergeants, 120 officers, seven generals and one school cadet involved in the summer coup attempt in Turkey are still on the run, according to local media.
- Turkish Air Force Eliminates Senior Daesh Commander Near al-Bab in Syria Sputnik 05 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish Air Force eliminated a senior Daesh commander in the area of the Syrian town of al-Bab on Friday, a source said.
- Turkish Forces Kill 33 Daesh Terrorists, Destroy 39 Targets in Northern Syria Sputnik 05 Feb 2017 -- The Turkish Armed Forces have killed over 30 Daesh jihadists and destroyed 39 targets over the past 24 hours as part of the Euphrates Shield operation near the town of al-Bab in northern Syria.
- Turkey 'arrests 400 suspected Daesh terrorists' Press TV 05 Feb 2017 -- Turkey says its police forces have detained 400 suspects linked to the Daesh terrorist group across the country, including in the capital city, Ankara.
- Turkey, Greece trade barbs over Aegean Press TV 04 Feb 2017 -- Turkey and Greece have been trading accusations of impolitic behavior in the Aegean Sea, where they are engaged in a territorial dispute.
- Erdogan Urges Turkish Citizens to Vote in Favor of Extending His Powers Sputnik 03 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan advocated on Friday voting in favor of major constitutional amendments that extend the powers of the president, launching the campaign for the upcoming referendum.
- Rising Tensions: Greece Reports Over 130 Airspace Violations by Turkey Sputnik 02 Feb 2017 -- Six Turkish aircraft violated the airspace of Greece at least 138 times on Wednesday, Greek media report.
- Germany urges Turkey to protect separation of powers in new system Press TV 02 Feb 2017 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has called on Turkey to ensure that its constitutional principle of separation of powers will be protected as the country is to shift to a new presidential system.
- Scores killed in Turkish airstrikes in north Syria Press TV 02 Feb 2017 -- At least 51 people have been killed in Turkish airstrikes in northern Syria where Ankara has deployed forces and occupied land with the help of militants.
- Turkey's Erdogan 'Saddened' By Merkel Comments On 'Islamist Terrorism' RFE/RL 02 Feb 2017 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan took German Chancellor Angela Merkel to task for using the phrase "Islamist terrorism," creating an uncomfortable moment during her visit to Ankara.
- Merkel Sits Down With Erdogan to Talk EU-Turkey 'Press Release' Migrant Deal Sputnik 02 Feb 2017 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel is in Turkey for meetings with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to discuss developments in Syria and Iraq and talk about topics ranging from press freedom, terrorism and the refugee crisis.
- Syria writes to UN condemns Turkey's attacks near al-Bab Press TV 02 Feb 2017 -- Syria has strongly denounced Turkey's recent attacks near the flashpoint town of al-Bab, calling on the United Nations to assume its responsibilities and put an end to the violation of the Arab country's sovereignty.
- Germany Refuses to Share Intelligence With Turkey, Fearing Its Use Against Kurds Sputnik 02 Feb 2017 -- The German Defense Ministry has announced that it will decline to share recently-collected intelligence with Turkey, for fear that Ankara will use the information in its military campaign against the Kurds.
- Turkey Not to Tolerate Greece Taking Any Steps to Escalate Tensions - Ankara Sputnik 01 Feb 2017 -- Turkey is not going to escalate tensions with Greece, Turkish Defense Minister Fikri Isik said Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list