UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)

Iran Press TV

Turkey's Dogan rejects executive's links to Gulen

Iran Press TV

Thu Dec 1, 2016 3:56PM

Turkey's Dogan news agency has ruled out that a government probe launched against an executive of its holding company could be linked to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric whom Ankara accuses of masterminding a mid-July coup attempt.

Dogan confirmed in a statement on Thursday that one of its executives was under investigation, but said it was clear that the case was not linked to Gulen's movement.

The statement comes against the backdrop of other reports in state media, which suggested that Dogan's Ankara representative had been detained in an investigation related to the July 15 coup attempt.

Turkey has arrested more than 37,000 on suspicions of having played a role in the abortive attempt. More than 100,000 have also been fired or suspended from their jobs in the army and other public institutions.

Ankara says the suspected plotters are members of Gulen's network. The cleric, who runs a network of educational and cultural institutions in Turkey and other countries, has denied the charges altogether.

Many journalists and media staffers have also been subject to Turkey's post-coup crackdown. The move has been met with huge international ire and has undermined Turkey's relations with the West.

Key members of the European Union, including Germany and Austria, have repeatedly censured Ankara's targeting of journalists, saying the crackdown would affect Turkey's stalled bid to join the EU.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list