Turkey dismisses over 2,800 judges, prosecutors in post-coup purge
Iran Press TV
Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:52PM
Turkey has fired more than 2,800 judges and prosecutors in the latest wave of dismissal of the country's officials following the July 15 coup attempt.
Broadcaster CNN Turk said the judges and prosecutors were sacked on Wednesday.
Ankara has so far dismissed or suspended some 80,000 people from the civil service, judiciary, police and courts over their suspected links to US-based cleric, Fethullah Gulen, whom it blames for the failed putsch.
Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said on Wednesday that Ankara would send a coup-related extradition request to the US next week.
This comes as Washington confirmed on Tuesday that it had received a formal request from Turkey for Gulen's extradition but said that the request was not over the putsch.
US State Department spokesman, Mark Toner, told journalists that the request was for other issues for which Gulen was being sought by authorities in Ankara. He, however, did not specify what those issues were.
Erdogan had previously warned the US that it had to "choose between Turkey and Gulen."
Gulen has condemned the coup attempt and denied any involvement in the violence.
A faction of the Turkish military declared itself in charge of the country on the night of July 15. Renegade military personnel made use of tanks and helicopters to fight loyalists to the incumbent government in Ankara and Istanbul.
The coup attempt was suppressed as people turned to the streets to support President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his ruling Justice and Development Party.
At least 246 people were killed and more than 2,100 others sustained injuries in the coup attempt.
Turkey's crackdown has raised concerns among European countries and human rights organizations, who have urged the Turkish government to show restraint and act within the law.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|