Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2019 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- Taiwan vows to join int'l efforts to sanction NKorea oil transports CNA 31 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan on Saturday vowed to join the international community's efforts to sanction North Korea, as the United States included into its sanctions list several Taiwanese individuals and shipping companies allegedly involved in covertly trading petroleum products with Pyongyang.
- U.S. accountable for all Taiwan arms sales consequences: spokesperson People's Daily 30 Aug 2019 -- The United States is accountable for all consequences of its arms sales to Taiwan, a spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense said Thursday.
- Foreign Minister: Taiwan-US Relations Probably at Their Best Ever VOA 30 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan's relations with the United States have reached their strongest point ever despite a lack of formal diplomatic ties as officials in Washington value the Asian government's role in international causes, Taiwan Foreign Minister Joseph Wu said Friday.
- Taiwan urges dialogue following arrest of Hong Kong activists CNA 30 Aug 2019 -- Political leaders in Taiwan voiced grave concern and urged dialogue following the arrest of several pro-democracy leaders in Hong Kong on Friday, ahead of a rally planned for the next day which the police have banned for the first time since protests started 13 weeks ago.
- China plans to attain strategic nuclear capabilities by 2020: MND CNA 30 Aug 2019 -- China is planning to attain strategic nuclear capabilities that can counter other nuclear powers and protect its territory by 2020, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense's (MND's) latest assessment on the country's military power.
- Taiwan is not for sale: MOFA CNA 29 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan is not for sale and cannot be bought by any country, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) spokesperson Joanne Ou (歐江安) said Thursday, in response to a petition posted on a United States government website under the heading "Purchase Taiwan."
- Poking the Dragon: US Warplane Spotted Traveling Over Taiwan Strait Sputnik 29 Aug 2019 -- A US Air Force MC-130J Commando tanker aircraft was spotted taking an unusual flight path through the Taiwan Strait - possibly as provocation toward China.
- Taiwan will not intentionally provoke China: Tsai CNA 28 Aug 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Wednesday told the largest wartime veterans service organization in the United States that Taiwan will not intentionally provoke China, but neither will it be naïve to Beijing's true intentions.
- China Threatens Retaliation if US Sells F-16 Fighter Jets to Taiwan VOA 28 Aug 2019 -- China is threatening to retaliate if the United States sells some of its top military aircraft to Taiwan, narrowing the power gap between its People's Liberation Army and the forces of its rival Taiwan.
- Chinese Navy Drills Near Taiwan Following F-16 Sales by US Sputnik 27 Aug 2019 -- Beijing is set to perform new military exercises in the East China Sea later this week, as Taiwan pens a deal to buy dozens of advanced F-16V Viper fighters from the US.
- Another political party formed in Taiwan ahead of 2020 elections CNA 24 Aug 2019 -- The Taiwan Renewal Party (台灣維新黨) was launched in Taipei on Saturday less than five months before Taiwan's presidential and legislative elections, advocating political, economic and social reforms as its main platform.
- U.S. military sails through Taiwan Strait after Chinese protest CNA 23 Aug 2019 -- A United States military ship sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Friday, two days after Beijing warned Washington on a possible sale of advanced F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan.
- US Warship Sails Through Taiwan Strait Amid Tensions With China Sputnik 23 Aug 2019 -- The United States regularly sails its warships through the sensitive strait, which separates mainland China and Taiwan, which the Beijing government regards as a breakaway province.
- Visit of U.S. research ship not related to F-16V deal: AIT CNA 23 Aug 2019 -- A port call by U.S. naval research vessel Sally Ride to Taiwan is unrelated to the F-16V sale recently notified by the Trump administration to U.S. Congress, according to the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT).
- China Working on Sanctions List After US Ignored Warning Over Taiwan F-16 Deliveries Sputnik 22 Aug 2019 -- Earlier, Beijing noted that the US would "have to bear all the consequences" if it moved forward with the controversial sale of its fourth generation fighter plane to Taiwan, and urged Washington to "fully recognise the highly sensitive and harmful nature" of these plans.
- China vows to impose sanctions on US firms Global Times 21 Aug 2019 -- China has vowed to impose sanctions on US firms participating in arms sales to Taiwan after the US State Department announced that the Trump administration had given formal approval for the sale of fighter jets and other military aircraft to the island worth $8 billion.
- New F-16s mark new beginning of Air Force: president CNA 21 Aug 2019 -- The possible U.S. sale of advanced F-16 C/D aircraft to Taiwan marks a new beginning of the nation's Air Force, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Wednesday, after the U.S. officially notified Congress of the deal, which is expected to take effect in one month.
- Taiwan thanks U.S. after formal notification of F-16V deal CNA 21 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan has expressed its appreciation to the Trump administration for formally notifying the United States Congress of the possible sale of advanced F-16C/D aircraft to Taiwan and said it expected the deal to take effect in one month.
- President vows to safeguard Taiwan's sovereignty CNA 21 Aug 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Wednesday that facing the challenges from China, Taiwan will not provoke Beijing but will firmly safeguard its national sovereignty and continue serving as a bastion of democracy in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Arms purchase puts Taiwan at risk Global Times 21 Aug 2019 -- The US State Department formally announced on Tuesday that the US government had decided to sell $8 billion in military equipment, including 66 new F-16V fighter jets, to the island of Taiwan. The plan still needs congressional approval but it is unlikely to be turned down.
- China threatens sanctions over US sale of F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan Press TV 21 Aug 2019 -- China has threatened to impose sanctions on US firms involved with the sale of F-16 fighter planes to Taiwan, in retaliation against what it describes as Washington's attempt to undermine Chinese national security.
- US State Department approves $8 billion fighter jet sale to Taiwan Press TV 21 Aug 2019 -- The US State Department has approved a possible $8 billion sale of F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan, one of the biggest arms deals between Washington and Taipei which is expected to increase tensions with China.
- China Threatens US Companies with Sanctions For Selling Arms to Taiwan Sputnik 21 Aug 2019 -- On Tuesday, The United States greenlighted an $8 billion sale of 66 F-16 fighter jets and related equipment to Taiwan which seeks to modernise its military and maintain credible defence capabilities.
- US Defence Department Approves $8Bln Sale of 66 F-16 Fighter Jets to Taiwan Sputnik 21 Aug 2019 -- The United States has approved an $8 billion military sale of 66 F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan, the Defence Security Cooperation Agency said in a press release.
- Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States (TECRO) - F-16C/D Block 70 Aircraft and Related Equipment and Support DSCA 20 Aug 2019 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to TECRO for the 66 F-16C/D Block 70 aircraft and related equipment and support for an estimated cost of $8 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- China urges US to immediately stop arms sales plan to Taiwan Global Times 20 Aug 2019 -- China on Monday urged the United States to immediately stop its planned arms sales to Taiwan and cease military contact with Taiwan, saying otherwise, the US side will have to bear all the consequences.
- Trump approves F-16 sale to Taiwan CNA 19 Aug 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has approved a plan by his administration to sell new F-16 fighter jets valued at US$8 billion to Taiwan.
- Taiwan thanks Trump for approving F-16V sale amid China's threats CNA 19 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan's government expressed appreciation Monday to U.S. President Donald Trump for approving the sale of F-16V multi-role fighter jets amid increasing threats and coercion from Beijing.
- Taiwan's Big Military Budget Aims to Resist China, Buy US F-16 Fighter Jets VOA 19 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan intends to raise its military budget more than usual next year following an increase in perceived threats from its old rival China, which has the world's third largest armed forces, and a nod from the United States to sell a major new round of F-16 fighter jets.
- Taiwan concerned, but will not intervene in HK protests: president CNA 19 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan's government is concerned about the months-long pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong but will not intervene, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Monday.
- US F-16 sale to Taiwan could lead to new round of military drills, economic sanctions: analyst Global Times 18 Aug 2019 -- The US' potential sale of F-16V fighter jets to the island of Taiwan is a serious provocation that may lead to strong responses from the Chinese mainland, including further military drills and economic countermeasures, Chinese experts said on Sunday.
- Tsai welcomes U.S.' decision to press ahead with sale of F-16 jets CNA 17 Aug 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Saturday welcomed a move by the United States to press ahead with the sale of F-16V fighter jets to Taiwan, saying the gesture symbolized the stable relations between the two countries.
- U.S. lawmakers support sale of F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan CNA 17 Aug 2019 -- Several U.S. Congress members voiced their support Friday for a plan by the Donald Trump administration to sell new F-16 fighter jets valued at US$8 billion to Taiwan.
- US prepares sale of F-16s to Taiwan despite Chinese warning Press TV 17 Aug 2019 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump has reportedly decided to sell billions of dollars' worth of Lockheed Martin's latest and most advanced F-16V fighter jets to Taiwan, despite Beijing has warned the United States against moving forward with the controversial plan.
- China warns of 'consequences' if US sell F-16 jets to Taiwan Press TV 17 Aug 2019 -- China has warned the United States against moving forward with a new controversial plan to provide self-ruled Taiwan with F-16 fighter jets, saying Washington will be held responsible "for all related consequences."
- Taiwanese Divided on Further Government Support For Hong Kong Protests: Poll Radio Free Asia 16 Aug 2019 -- While the president of democratic Taiwan, Tsai Ing-wen, has been a vocal supporter of anti-extradition protests in Hong Kong, it would appear that a sizable minority of the country's 23 million residents oppose further active support for the movement by their own government, a recent opinion poll has revealed.
- Taiwan's Air Force says it plans to add new wing of F-16V CNA 16 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan's Air Force said it is planning to establish a new fighter wing when new fighter jets are acquired after the Washington Post reported that the Trump administration is moving ahead with its US$8 billion sale of F-16V fighter jets to Taiwan.
- US Informally Approves Sale of Dozens of F-16 Fighter Jets to Taiwan - Reports Sputnik 16 Aug 2019 -- The United States has informally approved the proposed military sale of dozens of F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan, CNN reported on Friday.
- 2020 national defense budget to account for 2.3 percent of GDP CNA 15 Aug 2019 -- The Executive Yuan passed the 2020 central government budget Thursday, giving the green light to the NT$411.3 billion (US$13.1 billion) in spending proposed by the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Taiwanese want US to help counter Chinese practices: AIT CNA 15 Aug 2019 -- The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) said Thursday that its digital dialogue initiative held over the past two months indicates that Taiwanese people want the United States to work with Taiwan and like-minded Indo-Pacific partners to counter Chinese market-distorting practices.
- President tests F-16 simulator, hopes U.S. will decide on F-16V sale CNA 15 Aug 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Thursday made clear her intention to buy more upgraded F-16 fighter jets from the United States and expressed hope that the U.S. will reach a decision on the sale.
- Taiwan Displays Indigenous Jian Hsiang Anti-Radiation Drone at Arms Expo Sputnik 15 Aug 2019 -- Taiwan showed off its indigenous Jian Hsiang anti-radiation drone at the Taipei Aerospace and Defense Technology Exhibition on Thursday, putting on display just one of 81 pieces of military equipment for interested visitors to the three-day event.
- China's Recent Squeeze on Taiwan Could Backfire VOA 14 Aug 2019 -- China's recent squeeze on the Taiwan economy and its international profile is expected to backfire by making Taiwanese ever angrier and endearing them to leaders who oppose Beijing.
- Taiwan to show off indigenous MALE drone at Defense Exhibition CNA 14 Aug 2019 -- An updated version of the Taiwan-made "Teng Yun" (騰雲) drone, which is currently in development, is scheduled to make its public debut at the Taipei Aerospace and Defense Technology Exhibition (TADTE) Thursday.
- Reuters report confirms China's infiltration of Taiwan: Tsai CNA 10 Aug 2019-- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Saturday that a report by Reuters a day earlier saying that China was buying positive coverage in Taiwanese media confirmed Beijing's widespread infiltration of Taiwan.
- Taiwan faces tougher mainland measures Global Times 08 Aug 2019 -- After the suspension of individual tourists and retreat from film festival, experts warned of possible following measures in economic cooperation by the Chinese mainland if the cross-Straits relations continue to worsen, which will inflict a heavy loss on the Taiwan economy.
- Taiwan People's Party formed by Taipei mayor CNA 06 Aug 2019 -- The Taiwan People's Party (TPP), initiated by Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲), was established Tuesday, with Ko elected its founding chairman.
- Taiwan, US Discuss New Location for F-16 Joint Training Program Sputnik 05 Aug 2019 -- The Taiwanese air force may soon be sending its F-16 pilots to train at a new Air Force base in the US, according to reports.
- 3 Reasons China Cut Permits for Tourists Going to Taiwan VOA 05 Aug 2019 -- China's decision last week to stop issuing permits for independent tourists to Taiwan applies new economic pressure to their already strained relations, and analysts see three underlying reasons behind Beijing's move.
- Taiwan releases missile test video shortly after China's drill CNA 02 Aug 2019 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Friday released a video of its recent missile tests in southern Taiwan, demonstrating the country's surface-to-air, air-to-ship, ship-to-ship, and air-to-surface capabilities, one day after China concluded a military drill near the Taiwan Strait.
- China using tourism as political tool: President Tsai CNA 01 Aug 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Thursday that Beijing's ban on individual travel to Taiwan was a political tool that would only create a negative view of China among the Taiwanese people.
- Taiwan travel industry in doom and gloom at losing mainland tourists Global Times 01 Aug 2019 -- A pilot program that allowed residents from 47 cities on the Chinese mainland to visit Taiwan as individual tourists was suspended from Thursday. Industry insiders said the travel industry in Taiwan will suffer huge losses as a result.
- Taiwanese back government support for Hong Kong people: survey CNA 01 Aug 2019 -- Just over six out of ten Taiwanese back the Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) administration's support for Hong Kong demonstrators demanding democracy and freedom, a recent survey commissioned by the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) showed Thursday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list