Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2017 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- China warns US against military contacts with Taiwan Press TV 22 Aug 2017 -- China has warned the United States against any military contacts with Taiwan ahead of brief visits to the US by the "defense minister" of the self-ruled island territory, which is claimed by China.
- KMT lays out vision for peaceful development of cross-strait ties CNA 20 Aug 2017 -- The national congress of the opposition Kuomintang (KMT) on Sunday approved a new policy platform that revolves around a vision for the peaceful development of cross-Taiwan Strait relations and respect for the "1992 consensus on one China with respective interpretations."
- Taipei Remains on 'High Alert' During Chinese Military Drills Sputnik 16 Aug 2017 -- The Taiwanese National Defense Ministry urges "restraint to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait," following a Chinese military aircraft's intrusion into Taipei's Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) on Sunday.
- National defense system unaffected by power outage CNA 15 Aug 2017 -- The country's national defense system continued to operate normally despite a power outage that impacted large swathes of Taiwan on Tuesday afternoon, due to the existence of a back-up power supply system, according to Ministry of National Defense Spokesman Maj. Gen. Chen Chung-chi (陳中吉).
- Chinese aircraft enters Taiwan's ADIZ: MND CNA 15 Aug 2017 -- A Chinese military aircraft flew in Taiwan's Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) at one point while on its way back to China after a far-sea training mission two days ago, a Ministry of National Defense (MND) official said Tuesday.
- China's military activities near Taiwan said to be war preparation CNA 15 Aug 2017 -- Recent frequent incidents in which Chinese military aircraft have flown close to Taiwan indicate that Beijing is preparing for a "partial, limited and non-nuclear war" in the Taiwan Strait, a retired Taiwanese vice admiral said Tuesday.
- Chinese military aircraft again fly near eastern Taiwan CNA 14 Aug 2017 -- Chinese military aircraft were observed close to Taiwan's airspace in the east of the country on Monday, the third time in as many days, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said in a statement.
- More Chinese military aircraft spotted near eastern Taiwan CNA 13 Aug 2017 -- Two Chinese military surveillance aircraft were seen flying east of Taiwan on Sunday, the third time in August that Chinese military planes were seen near Taiwan, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense.
- Chinese military aircraft again fly near eastern Taiwan CNA 12 Aug 2017 -- Several Chinese military aircraft flew east of Taiwan Saturday morning as part of its long-distance training program, the latest in a series of Chinese military activities close to Taiwan, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense.
- Nuclear power not an option for Taiwan: president CNA 11 Aug 2017 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Friday that the government will use all possible means to ensure a stable electricity supply but will not consider opening the fourth nuclear power plant, which has been mothballed since 2014 amid anti-nuclear protests, according to a statement released by the Presidential Office.
- Chinese military surveillance plane reportedly spotted near Taiwan CNA 10 Aug 2017 -- A Chinese military surveillance aircraft was seen flying over international waters east of Taiwan on Wednesday, according to a post on the website of Japan's Ministry of Defense.
- Taiwan needs to play 'more proactive' role in Asia-Pacific: Tsai CNA 08 Aug 2017 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Tuesday Taiwan is committed to peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region and must play a "more proactive" role there.
- China urged to adopt more flexible approach to Taiwan relations CNA 08 Aug 2017 -- Beijing should listen more carefully to what President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has said in her policy toward China and be more creative and flexible in its relations with Taiwan, a visiting American scholar said Tuesday in Taipei.
- Taiwan conducts air defense drill featuring GDF-006 anti-air guns CNA 06 Aug 2017 -- Troops from the Air Defense Artillery Command's 303rd battalion last Thursday conducted a drill simulating air-to-ground combat in the southern county of Pingtung to test their ability to handle aerial attacks during which a firing drill for the Oerlikon GDF-006 35mm anti-aircraft canon was conducted at night.
- Three days of national security drills begin in Taipei CNA 04 Aug 2017 -- A national security exercise that simulates various emergency scenarios, including some in which the safety of national leaders is jeopardized during a military crisis, began in Taipei on Friday.
- Security drill will not simulate attack on president: MND CNA 03 Aug 2017 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Thursday denied an earlier report that an upcoming national security drill will simulate an attack on a motorcade carrying the country's president and vice president.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list