Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2016 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- MOFA sticks to argument that Diaoyutais secretly annexed by Japan CNA 27 Feb 2016 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) insisted on Saturday that it is consistent with historical facts to describe Japan's occupation of the Diaoyutai Islands as a 'secret annexation.'
- U.S. repeats calls for China to be flexible in cross-strait ties CNA 27 Feb 2016 -- A senior White House official on Friday reiterated U.S. calls for China to show flexibility in its relations with Taiwan but did not comment on the latest remarks by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi (王毅) that were seen by some in Taiwan as conciliatory.
- President Ma sees China's remarks on ROC Constitution as positive CNA 27 Feb 2016 -- President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) has responded positively to remarks by China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi (王毅) on cross-Taiwan Strait issues and the hope that Taiwan's new elected leader will respect Taiwan's 'one China' Constitution.
- Taiwan responds positively to China's remarks on cross-strait ties CNA 26 Feb 2016 -- Taiwan responded positively Friday to remarks by China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi (王毅) in which he expressed hope that President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) will be committed to the pursuit of peaceful development in her administration's ties with China in line with the country's constitution.
- DPP will seek to maintain cross-strait peace under ROC Constitution CNA 26 Feb 2016 -- In response to remarks by China on ties with Taiwan, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said Friday that the party, which will take power in May, will seek to maintain the peaceful and stable status quo across the Taiwan Strait in accordance with the Republic of China Constitution.
- Taiwan reiterates its sovereignty over Diaoyutai Islands CNA 25 Feb 2016 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterated Thursday Taiwan's sovereignty over the Diaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea, insisting that based on all historical and geographic factors and international law, the islands form part of the Republic of China's inherent territory.
- Defense minister vows to improve military police training CNA 24 Feb 2016 -- Minister of National Defense Kao Kuang-chi (高廣圻) said Wednesday that he has directed the Military Police Command to improve its training and deal out punishments for trainers who fail to perform their jobs well.
- Arms sales to Taiwan ensures its democracy: U.S. admiral CNA 24 Feb 2016 -- Continued arms sales to Taiwan help ensure its democratic government, the head of the United States Pacific Command said Tuesday.
- Taiwan will not develop nuclear weapon: defense ministry CNA 21 Feb 2016 -- Taiwan will continue to maintain its stance of not developing or storing nuclear weapons, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Sunday, in response to a U.S. magazine article that revealed Taiwan's efforts to acquire such weapons in the 1970s.
- Ex-president's Diaoyutai remarks contradict his own actions: official CNA 18 Feb 2016 -- The latest claim by former President Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) that the Diaoyutai Islands do not belong to Taiwan contradicts the actions he took over the islands when he was in office, a Presidential Office spokesman said Thursday.
- Taiwan will not accept court ruling on South China Sea disputes CNA 17 Feb 2016 -- The Republic of China will not accept an imminent ruling on the sovereignty disputes in the South China Sea by The Hague-based Permanent Court of Arbitration, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Wednesday.
- Taiwan watching China's military build-up in South China Sea: MND CNA 17 Feb 2016 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) has been keeping abreast of the latest developments in relation to reports that the Chinese military has deployed an advanced surface-to-air missile system to Woody Island (永興島), part of the Paracel Island chain in the South China Sea, a spokesman for the ministry said Wednesday.
- President-elect urges restraint as tensions rise in South China Sea CNA 17 Feb 2016 -- President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Wednesday called for restraint in the South China Sea, after news surfaced that day that China has deployed an advanced surface-to-air missile system on one of the islands in the contested region.
- Presidential Office reaffirms ROC sovereignty over Diaoyutais CNA 17 Feb 2016 -- The Republic of China's (ROC, Taiwan) sovereignty over the Diaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea is indisputable and any statements that deny this fact are tantamount to the surrender of the country's sovereign rights under humiliating terms, Presidential Office spokesman Charles Chen (陳以信) said Wednesday.
- Tsai refutes ex-president's controversial remarks on Diaoyutais CNA 17 Feb 2016 -- President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Wednesday refuted former President Lee Teng-hui's (李登輝) controversial remarks that the Diaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea do not belong to Taiwan.
- Ex-president's Diaoyutis remarks draw ire of fishermen CNA 17 Feb 2016 -- A statement by former President Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) that the Diaoyutai Islands do not belong to Taiwan has drawn the ire of fishermen in the northeastern county of Yilan, with some threatening to protest Japan's attempts to restrict Taiwanese fishing vessels' access to fishing areas near the islands in the East China Sea.
- Former president calls for changing ROC into new republic CNA 16 Feb 2016 -- Former President Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) has called for a constitutional revision to change the Republic of China into a 'new republic,' saying that this is something that will have to be done sooner or later.
- No question of Tsai toeing Ma's line in cross-strait policy: DPP CNA 15 Feb 2016 -- President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) will not follow incumbent President Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) line on China as a scholar has suggested, the Democratic Progressive Party said on Monday.
- Taiwan expels 4 trespassing Chinese fishing boats CNA 12 Feb 2016 -- Taiwan's coast guard recently expelled four Chinese fishing boats caught trespassing and poaching in the country's territorial waters, near Wuqiu in outlying Kimen County, the Maritime Patrol Directorate General (MPDG) of the Coast Guard Administration said Friday.
- Taiwan's status not diminished in any way by U.K. position CNA 05 Feb 2016 -- The Republic of China is a sovereign independent democracy, and its status will not be diminished in any way by the stance of the British government, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Friday.
- UK restates position on Taiwan in response to petition CNA 05 Feb 2016 -- The British government on Thursday reiterated its official position of not recognizing Taiwan as a country and said the issue of Taiwan's status should be resolved through dialogue based on the wishes of the people on both sides of the Taiwan Strait.
- Recent PLA restructuring partially aimed at Taiwan: analyst CNA 03 Feb 2016 -- China unveiled Monday five new military theater commands -- the East, West, South, North and Middle theater commands -- the latest move in a high-profile military reform program.
- Taipei concerned about Manila's downgrading of Taiping Island CNA 02 Feb 2016 -- The government is 'highly concerned' about a case Philippines has brought against China in an international court in which it argues that the land features comprising the Spratly Islands in the disputed South China Sea are not islands, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Tuesday.
- Fire breaks out on LaFayette frigate CNA 01 Feb 2016 -- A fire broke out in the rear master cabin of a LaFayette-class frigate conducting a trial run in waters off Zuoying, with one officer suffering mild burns on his arms.
- Taiwan's Opposition Parliament Expected to Review Dialogue with China VOA 01 Feb 2016 -- Taiwan's opposition party, historically an anti-China force, took the reins in parliament for its first time Monday with an agenda that could eventually slow dialogue with Beijing and shake up domestic politics.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list