Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2015 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- China would invade Taiwan in certain circumstances: MND report CNA 31 Aug 2015 -- China would probably invade Taiwan under certain circumstances, the Ministry of National Defense said in a report .
- MND reports China deploying more missiles against Taiwan CNA 31 Aug 2015 -- Legislator Lin Yu-fang said Monday that China is posing an ever-growing threat to Taiwan and the Asia-Pacific region as a whole.
- MND proposes NT$2.9 billion for indigenous submarine project CNA 31 Aug 2015 -- The Ministry of National Defense on Monday submitted a budget proposal of NT$2.9 billion (US$89.32 million) to the Legislative Yuan for an indigenous submarine project.
- Beijing acknowledges KMT's fight against Japanese army CNA 30 Aug 2015 -- China's top Taiwan affairs official on Sunday acknowledged the Kuomintang's (KMT's) contributions to China's War of Resistance against Japan during World War II.
- Taiwan still optimistic about shifting to all-volunteer military CNA 27 Aug 2015 -- Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense expressed optimism over its plan to shift to an all-volunteer force by 2017, after it decided recently to push back the target date for ending conscription.
- Taiwan conducts first live-fire drill with Apache helicopters CNA 27 Aug 2015 -- Taiwan's Army conducted a live-fire drill earlier this week to test the combat capabilities of the recently acquired AH-64E Apache attack helicopters.
- Plans for all-volunteer military still on track: defense ministry CNA 26 Aug 2015 -- The Ministry of National Defense denied media reports that it was backpedaling on its plan to convert Taiwan's military into an all-volunteer force, saying that it had only extended the target date.
- Huge public interest in Apache helicopters draws ire of military CNA 25 Aug 2015 -- More than 200,000 people have expressed the wish to have an up-close look at Taiwan's most advanced helicopter, the AH-64E Apache.
- Taiwan still in market for U.S. submarines: MND CNA 24 Aug 2015 -- Taiwan's Defense Ministry insisted on Monday that it had still not given up on the idea of buying submarines from the United States.
- Taiwan does not need nuclear submarines: President Ma CNA 24 Aug 2015 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said Sunday that Taiwan needs diesel-electric submarines rather than nuclear-powered ones and has decided to build the type of craft it requires.
- Second stage of Han Kuang exercises set for Sept. 7-11 CNA 18 Aug 2015 -- The second stage of the "Han Kuang 31" series of military exercises will be held from Sept. 7 to 11 on Taiwan proper and on the country's outlying islands and will simulate an attack from China.
- Third Candidate in Taiwan Hurts Ruling Party’s Campaign VOA 17 Aug 2015 -- Taiwan’s ruling political party, which is known for its conciliatory stance toward old rival China, is lagging in the polls ahead of January’s presidential election.
- New home-developed UAV, weaponry to be shown at defense exhibit CNA 12 Aug 2015 -- The military will showcase an array of locally developed unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and various kinds of weaponry, including missile and rocket systems.
- KMT chairman vows to push for nuclear-free Taiwan CNA 10 Aug 2015 -- New Taipei Mayor Eric Chu, who is also chairman of the ruling Kuomintang, pledged to continue the efforts toward building a nuclear-free Taiwan.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list