Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2013 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- President touts Taiwan's first sub-hunter aircraft CNA 31 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou touted Thursday the functions and capabilities of Taiwan's first P-3C submarine-hunter aircraft, saying that it will bolster the military's anti-submarine capabilities.
- AIT declines comment on 'surveillance facility' report CNA 31 Oct 2013 -- The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), the de facto U.S. embassy to Taiwan in the absence of formal ties, said Thursday it would not comment on any reports or speculation about U.S. surveillance and intelligence operations.
- President's phone probably not tapped: NSB chief CNA 28 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou should not fall victim to electronic eavesdropping as long as he uses communication tools provided by the National Security Bureau (NSB), Taiwan's intelligence chief said Monday.
- Two cross-strait pacts progressing simultaneously: Chinese official CNA 27 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan's stalled legislative review of a controversial trade in services pact with China is not expected to affect the progress of a trade in goods agreement that two sides plan to sign later, a top Chinese official in charge of cross-strait affairs said Sunday.
- Air Force officer detained on espionage charges CNA 26 Oct 2013 -- An Air Force officer has been taken into custody on charges of espionage, the Taiwan High Prosecutors Office's Kaohsiung Branch said Saturday.
- Troops to remain on two remote Kinmen islets: premier CNA 25 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan will continue to station troops on two of its frontline islets, although the number might be reduced, Premier Jiang Yi-huah said Friday, effectively rebutting earlier suggestions that the otherwise uninhabited islets will be turned over to control by the coast guard and the police.
- Taiwan has not sidestepped cross-strait political issues: Ma CNA 25 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou has said in an interview with an American newspaper that his administration has not deliberately avoided political talks with mainland China and has been willing to discuss any pressing issue.
- Taiwan wants to buy submarines: president CNA 25 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou has reiterated Taiwan's desire to purchase submarines from the United States in an interview with an American paper earlier this week.
- President Ma outlines vision for Taiwan-U.S.-China ties CNA 25 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou has outlined his vision for expanding constructive relations with both China and the United States in an interview with the Washington Post.
- Taiwan military increases counter intelligence staff CNA 23 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan has increased its military staff assigned to counter intelligence against China, since China has not promised to renounce the use of force against Taiwan, Minister of National Defense Yen Ming said Wednesday.
- President denies sidestepping cross-strait political issues CNA 22 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou denied Tuesday an accusation that his government deals with China only on economic issues while avoiding anything political, saying there has been no attempt 'to deliberately sidestep issues that are politically sensitive.'
- Cabinet names new deputy defense minister CNA 22 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan's representative to Indonesia Andrew Hsia has been named the country's new deputy defense minister, the Cabinet said in a statement Tuesday.
- China Renews Pressure on Taiwan for Political Talks VOA 21 Oct 2013 -- China and Taiwan have shelved political hostilities for the past five years to reach a series of trade and investment deals, improving overall relations. Now, China's president has made a fresh bid for sensitive political talks with Taiwan. However, Taipei's politically weakened leadership may be unable to deliver.
- China remains Taiwan's enemy: defense minister CNA 21 Oct 2013 -- The relationship across the Taiwan Strait remains one between two adversaries, Minister of National Defense Yen Ming said Monday, adding that China poses the biggest security threat to Taiwan.
- Official P-3C sub-hunter plane delivery ceremony set for late October CNA 20 Oct 2013 -- The military said Sunday it will hold a ceremony marking the delivery of the first P-3C submarine-hunting aircraft from the United States at the end of this month, with President Ma Ying-jeou presiding.
- Exchange of offices with Beijing a 'political' issue: Ma CNA 18 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said Friday that the exchange of representative offices between Taiwan and mainland China is political in nature, apparently responding to Chinese criticism that Taiwan has avoided political issues in pursuing relations between the two sides.
- Taiwan to get US Apache attack copters Iran Press TV 18 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan is reportedly due to receive the first batch of attack helicopters, ordered from the United States, in November.
- Taiwan to get first batch of new Apache helicopters in November CNA 17 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan is expected to get six Apache attack helicopters from the United States in early November, a military source said Thursday.
- President reiterates Taiwan-China 'special' ties CNA 17 Oct 2013 -- President Ma Ying-jeou said Thursday that the relationship between Taiwan and China is not an international one but a 'special' one, citing the Republic of China Constitution, which defines the ROC as one sovereign country of which mainland China is a part.
- Two retired officers indicted for espionage CNA 17 Oct 2013 -- Two retired military officers were indicted Thursday for allegedly helping China develop an espionage network in Taiwan.
- Taiwan to receive more anti-submarine aircraft this year CNA 16 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan will take delivery of three more submarine-hunting aircraft from the United States by the end of this year, as part of an order for 12 P-3C anti-submarine aircraft, the military said recently.
- Conscripts prepare for alternative service overseas CNA 16 Oct 2013 -- Taiwanese servicemen set to spend their alternative military service terms abroad expressed excitement Wednesday over their role in supporting assistance programs and cooperative projects in other countries.
- Taiwan reiterates sovereignty over Diaoyutai Islands CNA 15 Oct 2013 -- A presidential aide reiterated that the Diaoyutai Islands and their surrounding waters are inherent parts of the territory of the Republic of China.
- Ex-ROC intelligence officer sentenced for working for PRC CNA 15 Oct 2013 -- The Taiwan High Court sentenced a former Republic of China military intelligence officer to eight years in prison for setting up an acquaintance for interrogations by mainland Chinese agents.
- Defense minister urges distance from defected pilot's flight school CNA 14 Oct 2013 -- Defense Minister Yen Ming urged retired military personnel Monday to keep their distance from a former Air Force pilot who defected to China and a flight school he plans to open.
- Taiwan testing local-made military camouflage CNA 14 Oct 2013 -- The Army Special Forces Command has been testing a new, locally made camouflage uniform since Oct. 1 to decrease detectability and increase maneuverability.
- MND denies reported plan to retire all Knox-class warships CNA 11 Oct 2013 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Friday denied a report that the Navy plans to cut Taiwan's number of frigates by six to cut costs.
- China an increasing military threat to Taiwan: defense report CNA 08 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan's latest national defense report highlighted an increasing military threat from China, saying that China plans to boost its combat capabilities to a point where it can mount a full attack on Taiwan.
- Defense report includes effort to improve human rights protection CNA 08 Oct 2013 -- The military's effort to improve human rights protection was highlighted in the 2013 National Defense Report released on Tuesday, a concession to the hot-button issue it became after an Army corporal died in July under questionable circumstances.
- Army pushes creature comforts to broaden appeal CNA 08 Oct 2013 -- In a bid to boost lower-than-expected enlistment figures, the Army said Tuesday it has implemented initiatives at around three dozen military units that allow soldiers to use smartphones and live off-base.
- China military preparing capability to control Taiwan by 2020: MND CNA 07 Oct 2013 -- China plans to enhance its combat capabilities to a level sufficient to mount a full attack against Taiwan by 2020, showing that its military threat to Taiwan has not diminished, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) has concluded in a report.
- Taiwan seeking comprehensive settlement to Diaoyutais dispute CNA 04 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan is seeking a comprehensive settlement with Japan and China over the territorial dispute regarding the Diaoyutai Islands, President Ma Ying-jeou said recently.
- Taiwan's armed forces capable of deterring China: minister CNA 02 Oct 2013 -- Minister of National Defense Yen Ming said that while China continues its military build-up, Taiwan is building a leaner and meaner military.
- U.S. arms sales to Taiwan based on shared understanding: officials CNA 02 Oct 2013 -- Taiwan will formally submit letters of request to buy more arms from the United States as long as the two sides reach an understanding on the matter.
- Taiwan institute denies it was approached by Chinese CNA 02 Oct 2013 -- The defense ministry's research institute rebutted charges that it had been approached by a Chinese company interested in purchasing its UAVs.
- Lawmakers oppose plan to withdraw forces from Kinmen islets CNA 02 Oct 2013 -- Several lawmakers voiced concerns over a plan approved by the Cabinet that could see military personnel withdrawn from two islets in outlying Kinmen County.
- MND to mull plan to withdraw forces from islets close to China CNA 01 Oct 2013 -- The Ministry of National Defense will contemplate a plan aimed at withdrawing military forces from two frontline bases on Kinmen.
- Taiwan said to begin cluster bomb production in 2015 CNA 01 Oct 2013 -- Mass production of a cluster bomb developed in Taiwan will begin in 2015, one to two years ahead of schedule, a lawmaker said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list