February 2012 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- Taiwan denies suspension of military exchange with with Singapore CNA 27 Feb 2012 -- The defense ministry said that Taiwan maintains stable ties with Singapore.
- Defense Ministry denies report of German submarine sale to Taiwan CNA 26 Feb 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense said it is still seeking to acquire submarines from the US.
- Taiwan MND supports domestic development of submarines CNA 21 Feb 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense supports Taiwan's domestic development of submarines if relevant expertise can be secured and restrictive factors addressed.
- Taiwan Navy does not confirm report on sources of submarines CNA 20 Feb 2012 -- U.S. submarines remain among the country's arms procurement priorities, Taiwan's Navy said.
- Safety review reveals no major concerns at nuclear power plants: AEC CNA 20 Feb 2012 -- A second-stage review of Taiwan's three operating nuclear power plants revealed no major or immediate safety concerns.
- U.S. lawmaker renews calls for F-16C/D sale to Taiwan CNA 19 Feb 2012 -- Another U.S. congressman has urged Washington to sell F-16C/D jet fighters to Taiwan.
- U.S. says Taiwan policy remains unchanged CNA 17 Feb 2012 -- The recent meeting between U.S. President Barack Obama and Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping has not led to any change in Washington's policy toward Taiwan.
- No change in U.S. stance on arms sales to Taiwan: envoy CNA 17 Feb 2012 -- The US will continue to sell defensive weapons to Taiwan in line with the Taiwan Relations Act, the Republic of China's top representative in Washington, D.C. said.
- Next round of Taiwan-China talks likely in June CNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Taiwan and China will likely hold the next round of high-level talks in June, focusing on investment protection and customs cooperation, sources said.
- Taiwan MND denies minister made 'secret visit' to Singapore CNA 15 Feb 2012 -- A recent visit by Defense Minister Kao Hua-chu to Singapore was to attend a large-scale air show there.
- Kinmen to step up patrols against intrusions by Chinese boats CNA 15 Feb 2012 -- Coast patrol authorities in Kinmen, one of Taiwan's outlying islands, said they plan to strengthen their patrol of the island's coastline.
- Foreign ministry broaches idea of arming Taiwan's fishing boats CNA 14 Feb 2012 -- The government should consider whether to allow Taiwanese fishing vessels to carry arms to defend themselves.
- Taiwan denies report on downgraded F-16s retrofit package CNA 13 Feb 2012 -- Taiwan's Air Force said that it will seek to purchase an advanced radar system from the United States.
- Government still mulls opening of Kinmen islets to tourists CNA 13 Feb 2012 -- The government is still mulling whether to open two more Kinmen County islets under military control for tourism.
- Court denies ex-defense minister to pay most in soldier's death CNA 13 Feb 2012 -- A military court on Monday denied reports that a former defense minister will pay the highest amount of compensation for his alleged role in the wrongful execution of a soldier.
- U.S. Pacific Command nominee backs Taiwan Relations Act CNA 11 Feb 2012 -- The nominee for U.S. Pacific Command commander has expressed his firm support for the Taiwan Relations Act which obliges Washington to help Taipei defend itself.
- Taiwan's armed forces should not be confused with PLA: spokesman CNA 10 Feb 2012 -- The government disagrees with any rhetoric that confuses the armed forces of the Republic of China on Taiwan with mainland China's People's Liberation Army.
- Taiwan MND rebuts failure to spot Chinese 'spy' vessel CNA 09 Feb 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense dismissed a report that the navy failed to recognize a Chinese "spy" vessel.
- Taiwan dismisses nuclear waste storage concerns CNA 09 Feb 2012 -- Taiwan's nuclear safety regulator dismissed a report that raised doubts about the security of facilities storing spent reactor fuel in Taiwan.
- Existing cross-strait accords part of 'peace pact': President CNA 08 Feb 2012 -- All 16 agreements signed between Taiwan and China since 2008 can be seen as part of a broadly defined cross-strait peace agreement.
- Taiwan still in talks with U.S. on F-16 upgrade details: MND CNA 07 Feb 2012 -- Taiwan's Air Force is still negotiating details of a retrofit package for the country's F-16 A/B fighter jets with the United States.
- Defense ministry identifies cause of September air crash CNA 07 Feb 2012 -- The failure of pilots to remain alert to the terrain they were flying over was behind the crashes of two military aircraft in northeastern Taiwan last September.
- Remote island to be equipped with TACAN antenna system CNA 06 Feb 2012 -- A tactical air navigation facility will be built on Taiwan's Taiping Island in the South China Sea.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|