Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2009 - Taiwan Special Weapons News
- Taiwan Aboriginal Village Targeted for Nuclear Waste Disposal VOA 30 Sep 2009 -- Taiwan has tried and failed to sell its nuclear waste to N, Korea and China.
- Military urged to prepare for disaster relief operations CNA 21 Sep 2009 -- The armed forces may earn greater public respect by engaging in disaster relief operations.
- Policy on arms sales to Taiwan remains unchanged: U.S. admiral CNA 16 Sep 2009 -- US policy on arms sales to Taiwan will remain unchanged as it is consistent with the Taiwan Relations Act.
- Submarine captain's body recovered off Zuoying naval base CNA 16 Sep 2009 -- The body of sub captain who slipped and fell overboard from his vessel was recovered after an intensive search.
- Search for submarine captain continues: Navy CNA 15 Sep 2009 -- Taiwan's Navy continued its search for a submarine captain who was swept overboard off the coast of Kaohsiung in southern Taiwan.
- Taiwan sub captain slips off vessel, remains unaccounted for CNA 14 Sep 2009 -- The captain of the submarine Hai Lung, Chen Chi-tsung, slipped and fell overboard from the vessel during a mission.
- Taiwan has enough flu vaccine: officials CNA 14 Sep 2009 -- The government repeated an attempt to allay concern about the outbreak in Taiwan of influenza A(H1N1).
- Ex-president and wife given life sentences CNA 11 Sep 2009 -- Ex-president Chen Shui-bian and his wife Wu Shu-jen were both given life sentences and fined NT$200 million (US$6
- Former Taiwan President Sentenced to Life in Prison VOA 11 Sep 2009 -- Former Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian has been found guilty of corruption and sentenced to life in prison.
- U.N. bid this year will set tone for the future: Foreign Ministry CNA 10 Sep 2009 -- Taiwan's approach to its bid for representation in the United Nations this year will set the tone for its future strategies to participate in international organizations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Thursday
- KMT secretary-general tapped to be new premier CNA 07 Sep 2009 -- Ruling Kuomintang (KMT) Vice Chairman and Secretary-General Wu Den-yih was named Monday as the man who will take over as premier following the resignation Thursday of Premier Liu Chao-shiuan along with the rest of his Cabinet, according to Presidential Office spokesman Wang Yu-chi
- Chu said he could not turn down appointment CNA 07 Sep 2009 -- Taoyuan County Magistrate Eric Liluan Chu, who will become vice premier in the new Cabinet, offered his apology Monday to residents of Taoyuan, where he has been the county chief since 2001, for leaving office before the end of his term at the end of year
- Military exercises to include disaster response training: MND CNA 05 Sep 2009 -- Disaster rescue operations, including mobilizing specialized equipment and operating diving and salvage missions, will be included in next year's combined services Han Kuang military exercises for the first time, the Ministry of National Defense said in a statement Friday
- Dalai Lama wraps up Taiwan visit CNA 04 Sep 2009 -- The Dalai Lama left Taiwan Friday after wrapping up a six-day visit to comfort the victims of Typhoon Morakot
- President wants rigorous implementation of disaster prevention act CNA 04 Sep 2009 -- President Ma called for the rigorous implementation of a disaster prevention law.
- Post-disaster relief to be made core military mission CNA 02 Sep 2009 -- Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense will list post-disaster rescue and relief as one of its core missions.
- Ex-senior military officer gets stiff sentence for corruption CNA 02 Sep 2009 -- Former deputy commanding general of Taiwan's Reserve Command was sentenced to prison for his involvement in corruption case.
- Boeing, Lockheed Martin, US Army Mark 10 Years of PAC-3 Missile Seeker Production Boeing 01 Sep 2009 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] today marked the 10th anniversary of its production of the seeker for the Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) Missile, as well as the upcoming delivery of the 1,000th seeker to prime contractor Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT], with a ceremony at the Boeing production facility in Huntsville.
- Raytheon Awarded $27 Million to Support Taiwan's Patriot Systems Raytheon 01 Sep 2009 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has been awarded $26.9 million for technical assistance in support of Taiwan's Patriot Air and Missile Defense System.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list