Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2022 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syria: Council extends sanctions against the regime for another year EC/CEU 31 May 2022 -- The Council extended EU restrictive measures against the Syrian regime for an additional year, until 1 June 2023, in light of its continued repression of the civilian population in the country.
- Call for safe zone part of Turkey's policy of ethnic cleansing in northern Syria: Damascus Press TV 30 May 2022 -- Syria has once again rejected Turkish military operations in the northern part of the Arab country, saying the offensives and relevant arbitrary measures constitute war crimes and are part of the Ankara government's policy of ethnic cleansing in the occupied territory.
- Defying US, Turkey says doesn't need 'permission' to launch new offensive in Syria Press TV 29 May 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has defied a warning from the United States about launching a new offensive into northern Syria.
- Erdogan Says Turkey Plans New Syrian Offensive, Won't Seek U.S. Permission RFE/RL 29 May 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country is still committed to driving Syrian Kurdish militias out of northern Syria and that Ankara will not wait for permission from the United States before launching any new offensive.
- Iran rejects Turkey's threat to launch incursion into Syria, calls for dialog Press TV 28 May 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh says Tehran opposes the use of military action against regional countries, stressing that the only way to assuage Turkey's security concerns is through dialog, rather than another incursion into neighboring Syria.
- Russia sends helicopters, fighter jets to its base in northeastern Syria Press TV 28 May 2022 -- Russia has dispatched attack helicopters and fighter jets to its base in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah upon a request from the Damascus government.
- US Allies in NE Syria Warn Against New Turkish Incursion VOA 27 May 2022 -- U.S. allies in northeastern Syria are increasingly worried about Turkey's pledge to launch a new round of military operations in the region, warning it could embolden and even strengthen the Islamic State terror group.
- UN Syria Commission: 'unconscionable to consider closing last border crossing' UN News 26 May 2022 -- The UN Syria Commission of Inquiry said on Thursday that not extending current cross-border aid to Syria along the remaining route, would be a "failure of the highest order". The warning to the Security Council comes as humanitarian needs throughout Syria are at their highest, since the start of the devastating 11-year war.
- Syria rejects Turkey's call for safe zone in northern Syria as 'aggressive, colonial act' Press TV 25 May 2022 -- Damascus has categorically rejected Turkish President Recep Tayyeb Erdogan's call for the establishment of a so-called safe zone in the occupied northern part of the war-ravaged country, describing the proposal as an "aggressive, colonial act."
- Syria: US must pay for atrocities, immediately withdraw troops Press TV 22 May 2022 -- Syria has firmly rejected a Pentagon report that the US military was not at fault for a 2019 deadly airstrike targeting civilians in the eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, saying American forces must pay for their atrocities and immediately withdraw from the war-battered country.
- We urge the Security Council to expand the UN's cross-border mandate in Syria UK FCDO 20 May 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the UN Security Council meeting on the situation in Syria
- Syria: 'Largest-ever number' in need, warns UN relief chief UN News 20 May 2022 -- With a scorching summer fast approaching, food prices rising and access to water and electricity limited in many parts of Syria, donors must make good on $4.3 billion in humanitarian pledges committed at last week's Brussels funding conference, the UN's senior humanitarian official told the Security Council on Friday.
- FM: Illegal US military presence in Syria reaching its end, occupied areas will soon return to govt. control Press TV 19 May 2022 -- Syria's Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Faisal Mekdad says the illegal presence of American military forces in the energy-rich northern flank of Syria is reaching its end, and the Damascus government will soon regain its control over the occupied areas.
- For first time, Russian military fires S-300 missiles at Israeli warplanes over Syria's Hama Press TV 18 May 2022 -- The Russian military has reportedly used advanced S-300 surface-to-air missile systems to fire at Israeli warplanes during a recent strike in Syria, signaling a major shift in Moscow's attitude to the Israeli regime.
- The world must not grow numb to the suffering of the Syrian people UNOCHA 18 May 2022 -- Joyce Msuya, the Assistant Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator, today concluded a three-day visit to Syria, her first official mission to the region since she assumed her functions. During the visit, Msuya met with affected families and renewed the United Nations' commitment to helping those in need, urging donors to not let Syria become a forgotten crisis.
- Military base housing US troops in northeastern Syria hit by barrage of rockets Press TV 17 May 2022 -- A barrage of rockets have reportedly hit a military facility housing US occupation forces in Syria's oil-rich northeastern province of Hasakah, but the casualties and the extent of the damage was still unclear.
- Syrian refugees in Iraq, risk losing access to basic food supplies UN News 17 May 2022 -- Syrian families living in refugee camps in Iraq are facing new and alarming levels of food insecurity, according to figures released by the World Food Programme (WFP) and UN refugee agency, UNHCR, on Tuesday.
- Syrian refugees in Iraq will lose access to basic foods without urgent funds WFP 17 May 2022 -- Syrian families living in camps in Iraq face alarming levels of food insecurity, according to a new figure from the World Food Programme (WFP) and UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency.
- Syrian air defenses destroyed 16 of 22 Israeli missiles fired in latest raid on Hama, Russian military says Press TV 15 May 2022 -- The Russian military says Syrian air defense units intercepted most of the missiles fired during a recent Israeli raid on the Arab country's western-central province of Hama, and shot down more than a dozen projectiles during the attack that had been fired over the Mediterranean.
- Israeli missile attack kills 5 in central Syria People's Daily 14 May 2022 -- Five people were killed and seven others injured after Israel attacked military sites in central Syria on Friday, state news agency SANA reported.
- Fresh Israeli air raid on Syria's Hama kills 5; most missiles intercepted Press TV 13 May 2022 -- The Israeli regime carried out fresh airstrikes on Syria's northwestern province of Hama late on Friday, killing at least five people, including a civilian, according to Syrian media.
- Dozens of Syrian forces killed, injured in terrorist missile attack in Aleppo: Report Press TV 13 May 2022 -- At least a dozen Syrian government forces have been reportedly killed and more than a dozen others injured in a missile attack in the northwestern Syrian province of Aleppo.
- Ten Syrian Troops Killed and Nine Wounded After Militant Attack Near Aleppo, Reports Indicate Sputnik 13 May 2022 -- According to Al-Ikhbariya broadcaster, the incident occurred on Friday morning, with attackers targeting an army bus.
- Joint Statement on Syria US Dept. of State 12 May 2022 -- Representatives of the United States, the Arab League, Egypt, the European Union, France, Germany, Greece, Iraq, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom met in Brussels on May 10, 2022, to discuss the crisis in Syria.
- Authorizing Specified Economic Activities in Non-Regime Held Areas of Northeast and Northwest Syria in Support of D-ISIS Efforts US Dept. of State 12 May 2022 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today issued Syria General License (GL) 22, authorizing specific economic activities in certain non-regime-held areas of northeast and northwest Syria.
- Israeli military carries out missile strike against Syria's Quneitra near occupied Golan Heights Press TV 11 May 2022 -- Syria says Israel has carried out a missile attack at various targets on the outskirts of Syria's southwestern city of Quneitra near the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, which marks the second such aggression against the war-ravaged country in a fortnight.
- Don't forget Syria crisis: UN humanitarian, refugee, development chiefs People's Daily 11 May 2022 -- The UN humanitarian, refugee, and development chiefs on Tuesday warned against sidelining the Syria crisis.
- Ankara Tightens Russian Access to Syria VOA 10 May 2022 -- Ankara is increasing pressure on Russia's military presence in Syria with its decision to close its airspace until July to Russian civilian and military planes carrying troops to Syria.
- Officials, Humanitarian Groups Worry About Donor Fatigue at Syrian Pledging Conference VOA 10 May 2022 -- The war in Ukraine cast a shadow over an international donors' conference for Syrians Tuesday, with their country now in its 12th year of conflict. Russia was not invited to the Brussels meeting, where countries pledged billions of dollars in support for Syrians â€” but where some admitted to donor fatigue.
- UN launches joint appeal for Syria: 'Apathy is not an option' UN News 10 May 2022 -- As Syria begins 12 years of conflict amidst soaring humanitarian needs, UN agency heads launched during a European Union conference on Tuesday, a joint appeal for $10.5 billion.
- Message from the United Nations humanitarian, refugee, and development chiefs on the situation in Syria and the region UNHCR 10 May 2022 -- As the Syrian crisis enters its 12th year without a solution, it is the Syrian people who are paying the price. Within the country, and across the region, the outlook for Syrians is deteriorating. Needs are far greater than ever.
- UNICEF Executive Director Catherine Russell's remarks at the Brussels VI Conference: "Supporting the future of Syria and the region" UNICEF 10 May 2022
- Syria: Press remarks by HR/VP Josep Borrell at Brussels VI Conference on supporting the future of Syria and the region European External Action Service (EEAS) 10 May 2022
- Brussels VI Conference on supporting the Future of Syria and the region: Opening remarks by High Representative/Vice-President Josep Borrell at the Ministerial session European External Action Service (EEAS) 10 May 2022
- Syria and the region: close to â‚¬6.4 billion mobilised during the 6th Brussels Conference European Commission 10 May 2022 -- Today, the international community pledged close to â‚¬6.4 billion for 2022 and beyond during the sixth Brussels Conference on 'Supporting the future of Syria and the Region', organised by the European Union.
- U.S. Announces Additional Humanitarian Assistance for the Syria Crisis Response US Dept. of State 10 May 2022 -- At today's sixth Brussels Conference on "Supporting the Future of Syria and the Region," Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield, U.S. Representative to the United Nations, announced nearly $808 million in new humanitarian assistance to respond to the crisis in Syria.
- UK pledges Â£158 million to support vulnerable Syrians UK FCDO 10 May 2022 -- The UK is pledging up to Â£158 million to support vulnerable Syrians as well as help mitigate the destabilising impact of the conflict in the region.
- Designating an International ISIS Network of Financial Facilitators US Dept. of State 09 May 2022 -- Coinciding with the 16th meeting of the Counter ISIS Finance Group (CIFG) of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS, the United States is designating today five individuals participating in an ISIS network of financial facilitators operating across Indonesia, Syria, and Turkey.
- Treasury Designates Facilitation Network Supporting ISIS Members in Syria US Treasury 09 May 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated a network of five Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) financial facilitators operating across Indonesia, Syria, and Turkey. The five individuals, who are designated today pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, as amended, have played a key role in facilitating the travel of extremists to Syria and other areas where ISIS operates.
- Syrian President Visits Tehran On Unannounced Trip RFE/RL 09 May 2022 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad met on May 8 with Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi during an unexpected visit to Iran.
- Notice on the Continuation of The National Emergency with Respect to the Actions of the Government of Syria The White House 09 May 2022
- Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate, on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Actions of the Government of Syria The White House 09 May 2022
- Number of Syrian children in need hits record high UNICEF 08 May 2022 -- "Millions of children continue to live in fear, need and uncertainty inside Syria and in neighbouring countries.
- 11 years of conflict: with hunger at historic levels, millions of Syrians hang by a thread WFP 08 May 2022 -- The war in Ukraine has dealt a fresh hammer blow to Syria's ability to feed itself just as the country struggles to deal with levels of hunger that are up by half since 2019, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said today on the eve of the annual donor pledging conference held in Brussels.
- New international partnerships needed to boost healthcare in Syria UN News 06 May 2022 -- As the protracted conflict in Syria continues to push millions deeper into poverty and increase their vulnerability to health risks, UN agencies and their partners met on Friday to spur action to revitalize the country's embattled healthcare system.
- Syrian Families Wait to See if Presidential Amnesty Covers Loved Ones VOA 05 May 2022 -- A presidential amnesty decree issued by Syrian President Bashar al Assad to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan has many families anxiously waiting to see if their loved ones will benefit from the pardon. The amnesty does not include those with blood on their hands, and it is not clear how it will affect thousands of Syrians who have fled the country during a bitter civil war, which began in March 2011.
- Turkey to repatriate 1 million Syrian refugees: Erdogan Press TV 03 May 2022 -- Turkey's president says the country is to send back around one million Syrian refugees to northern Syria, under a plan aimed at enabling their resettlement in houses partially built by Turkey there.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list