Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2022 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Joint statement on Syria by the Arab League, Egypt, the European Union, France, Germany, Iraq, Jordan, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States Germany Federal Foreign Office 29 Apr 2022 -- Representatives of the Arab League, Egypt, the European Union, France, Germany, Iraq, Jordan, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States met in Paris on April 28 to discuss Syria.
- Holding the Assad regime accountable for its repeated use of chemical weapons in Syria - UK Statement at the UN Security Council UK FCDO 29 Apr 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the UN Security Council meeting on Syria Chemical Weapons
- Humanitarian situation in Syria dire amid economic crisis: UN official People's Daily 27 Apr 2022 -- The humanitarian situation in Syria remains dire amid a worsening economic crisis, said Joyce Msuya, the deputy UN relief chief, on Tuesday.
- Syria crisis should not be neglected: UN envoy People's Daily 27 Apr 2022 -- UN Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen warned Tuesday that the Syria crisis should not be neglected despite its absence from news headlines.
- Iran slams illegal foreign presence in Syria, says war on terror must not be used as pretext Press TV 27 Apr 2022 -- Iran's ambassador to the United Nations has censured the "illegal presence" of foreign forces in Syria, stating that the war on terrorism must not be used as a pretext to undermine Syria's sovereignty.
- Israeli airstrike on Damascus countryside kills four soldiers, injures three others Press TV 27 Apr 2022 -- At least four Syrian army troops have been killed and three others injured after "hostile" Israeli missiles hit the outskirts of the capital, Damascus, in yet another act of aggression against the Arab country.
- Terrorists Carry Out Six Attacks on Syria's Idlib Zone, Russian Military Says Sputnik 26 Apr 2022 -- Jabhat al-Nusra* shelled Syria's Idlib de-escalation zone six times over the past 24 hours, Rear Adm. Oleg Zhuravlyov, deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said.
- Hostilities have driven record levels of need in Syria: UK Statement at the UN Security Council UK FCDO 26 Apr 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the UN Security Council meeting on Syria
- Don't lose focus on Syria, UN envoy tells Security Council UN News 26 Apr 2022 -- Although the war in Syria may not be making headlines lately, the international community must remain focused on achieving a comprehensive political solution to the conflict, UN Envoy for the country, Geir Pedersen, said on Tuesday in his latest briefing to the Security Council in New York.
- Daesh Operations in Syrian Desert Thwarted With Help of Russian Air Power, Source Says Sputnik 24 Apr 2022 -- Syria and its anti-terrorism coalition partners have spent years battling jihadist fighters seeking to topple the Damascus government. Syrian authorities have repeatedly accused the United States of providing direct and indirect support to militants. The Pentagon typically dismisses these allegations, or refuses to comment.
- Turkey Closes Airspace For Russian Military & Civilian Planes Heading to Syria Sputnik 23 Apr 2022 -- Turkey has closed its airspace to Russian military and civilian planes headed to Syria, as flight permission expired in April, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Saturday.
- Syria denies contact with Turkey on rebuilding ties, calls reports 'fabricated' Press TV 23 Apr 2022 -- Syria has strongly denied any contact with Ankara contrary to claims made by some Turkish officials, asserting that there can be no cooperation in the fight against terrorism with a country that aids and abets terror.
- Israeli F-16 Jets Attacked Damascus Province on Thursday, Russian Military Says Sputnik 15 Apr 2022 -- Israeli F-16 fighter jets attacked the Damascus province on Thursday, and Syria's air defense repelled one missile out of two, a Russian military official with the center for Syrian reconciliation said on Friday, adding that the incident did not lead to any casualties.
- Syria confronts Israeli airstrikes outside Damascus Press TV 15 Apr 2022 -- Syria's air defenses confront airstrikes by the Israeli regime against the countryside of the Arab country's capital of Damascus.
- 'Justice Prevailed,' Say Families of Hostages Tortured in Syria VOA 14 Apr 2022 -- The families of American hostages kidnapped and killed in Syria by Islamic State militants welcomed a guilty verdict handed down Thursday by a U.S. court.
- Several militants dead, injured in clashes between rival Turkish-backed groups in Syria: SANA Press TV 14 Apr 2022 -- Amid brazen attempts by rival Turkish-backed Takfiri militants to consolidate their grip on areas under their control, the extremists have turned against each other and engaged in a fierce exchange of fire in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Israeli Jets Launch Strikes Against Damascus, Syrian Air Defenses Engaged - State Media Sputnik 14 Apr 2022 -- No other details were immediately provided. The country's defense ministry stated that there was a destruction, but it was not clear of which scale. No casualties were reported either. However, the number and type of attacking projectiles has remained unknown.
- Syria calls on UN to interfere to stop "systematic" Israeli strikes People's Daily 11 Apr 2022 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad on Sunday urged the United Nations to interfere to curb the repetitive Israeli attacks in Syria, slamming such strikes as systematic, according to the state news agency SANA.
- Syria reserves right to respond to Israeli aggression on its soil: FM Mikdad Press TV 10 Apr 2022 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mikdad has slammed an Israeli missile attack, which targeted the town of Masyaf in the central province of Hama, saying Damascus reserves the right to give a proper and lawful response to the aggression.
- US troops, SDF militants stage joint military drill in eastern Syria as Iraq concerned over Daesh infiltration Press TV 10 Apr 2022 -- US military forces and allied militants from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have held a joint military exercise in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr near the Iraqi border, amid concerns in Baghdad over a possible release of Daesh terrorists from US-run prisons in Syria.
- Rights chief highlights urgent need for action over thousands missing in Syria UN News 08 Apr 2022 -- Twelve years into the war in Syria, thousands of families "remain in the dark" when it comes to the fates of their missing relatives, UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet told the General Assembly on Friday.
- Syrian air defenses repel Israeli aggression over town of Masyaf in Hama province Press TV 09 Apr 2022 -- The Syrian air defenses have repelled an Israeli missile attack, which targeted the town of Masyaf in the central province of Hama, Syrian media sayd.
- Two American soldiers injured as military bases housing US occupying forces attacked in Syria Press TV 07 Apr 2022 -- Two American soldiers have been injured when an indirect fire attack targeted a military base housing forces from the US-led military coalition purportedly formed to fight the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in eastern Syria, marking the third assault this year on occupation troops in the area.
- Report: Turkey weighs possibility of starting talks with Syria Press TV 05 Apr 2022 -- Turkish media say Ankara is evaluating the possibility of starting talks with the Syrian government and that discussions are underway for new relations to be built between the two neighbors.
- UN Human Rights Council 49: UK cross-regional Core Group statement introduce Item 4 resolution on Syria UK FCDO 01 Apr 2022 -- Simon Manley, UK Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva, delivered the statement on behalf of a cross-regional Core Group of France, Germany, Italy, Jordan, Kuwait, the Netherlands, Qatar, Turkey, the USA, and the UK.
- Syria: Rights experts call for humanitarian access to detained children UN News 01 Apr 2022 -- Humanitarians must have full and unimpeded access to children arbitrarily held in detention centres in northeast Syria, a group of independent UN human rights experts said on Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list