Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syria air defenses confront Israeli attack on Latakia Press TV 28 Dec 2021 -- Syria's air defenses have confronted an Israeli attack on Latakia, the Arab country's biggest port city, which lies in its northwest.
- Rocket Attack Sparks Major Conflagration at Syrian Port of Latakiya VOA 28 Dec 2021 -- Syrian media is accusing Israel of a rocket attack that set off a major conflagration in the port area of Latakiya early Tuesday, damaging a large number of shipping containers. Arab media claims that Israel destroyed a number of containers transporting Iranian weapons.
- Syria strongly condemns Israel's plan to double settler population in occupied Golan Heights Press TV 27 Dec 2021 -- Syria has strongly condemned the controversial Israeli plan to double the settler population in the Golan Heights, warning against the "unprecedented and dangerous" uptick in the Tel Aviv regime's land expropriation and settlement expansion activities in the strategic area.
- Israel Approves Plan to Double Population in Occupied Golan Heights Sputnik 26 Dec 2021 -- The Israeli cabinet approved a $317 million "unprecedented" plan on Sunday to double the Jewish population of the occupied Golan Heights by building two new settlements and thousands of housing units in the existing communities.
- Iran, Russia, Turkey reject any military solution to Syrian conflict IRNA 22 Dec 2021 -- Representatives of Iran, Russia and Turkey - as guarantors of the Astana format - issued a statement in the end of the 17th International Meeting on Syria in the Astana Format on Wednesday noting that there could be no military solution to the Syrian conflict.
- Joint Statement by the Representatives of Iran, Russia and Turkey on the 17th International Meeting on Syria in the Astana Format, Nur-Sultan, 21-22 December 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 22 Dec 2021
- Closure of Iraq-Syria Border Crossing Worries Aid Groups, Travelers VOA 22 Dec 2021 -- A vital border crossing between Iraq's Kurdistan Region and Syria's northeast remains closed one week after violent clashes broke out between supporters of a major Syrian Kurdish party and border guards on the Iraqi side.
- Stalemate in Syria proves military solution still 'an illusion', says UN envoy Press TV 21 Dec 2021 -- United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen has brushed aside the so-called military solution to the decade-long conflict in Syria as "an illusion," stating that the warring parties are locked in a "strategic stalemate" on the ground for the past 21 months.
- UN envoy outlines 'possibilities for progress' in Syria next year UN News 20 Dec 2021 -- Now is the time to explore whether a political process in Syria can meaningfully move forward in 2022, UN Special Envoy Geir Pedersen told the Security Council on Monday.
- Nothing can replace the scale or scope of the UN mandated Syrian cross-border mechanism UK FCDO 20 Dec 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 16 Dec 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- RAF Typhoon Destroys Terrorist Drone in Syria UK MOD 16 Dec 2021 -- TheThe event was the first operational air-to-air engagement conducted by an RAF Typhoon, and also the first RAF air-to-air missile firing during Operation SHADER.
- UN Chief Says Cross-Border Aid To Syria Remains 'Essential' RFE/RL 16 Dec 2021 -- UN cross-border humanitarian aid from Turkey to a rebel-held enclave in northwestern Syria remains vital for millions of people, the United Nations secretary-general has said in an internal report.
- Israel's F-16s Strike 8 Missiles at Damascus Airport, 1 Person Killed - Russian Military Sputnik 16 Dec 2021 -- The Israeli Air Force's F-16 fighters struck with eight cruise missiles near Damascus airport, damaged a warehouse, killed a person, Rear Adm. Vadim Kulit, deputy head of the Russian Center for the Reconciliation of Warring Parties in Syria, said on Thursday.
- Israeli missile strike kills Syrian soldier Press TV 16 Dec 2021 -- The Israeli regime has conducted yet another missile strike against southern Syria, killing one Syrian soldier.
- Towards accountability and the verifiable destruction of Syria's chemical weapons programme UK FCDO 09 Dec 2021 -- Statement by Fergus Eckersley, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria's use of chemical weapons
- Israeli airstrikes target Syria's lifeline port Press TV 07 Dec 2021 -- The Israeli regime has targeted Syria's principal port city of Latakia with airstrikes, prompting the Arab country to launch defensive action.
- Videos: Israel Hits Latakia Port Area in Syria, State Media Reports Sputnik 07 Dec 2021 -- Israel has carried out an airstrike on the Latakia port area in Syria, Syrian state television has reported.
- Turkish military forces dispatch new reinforcements to northwestern Syria to prop up allied militants Press TV 06 Dec 2021 -- Turkish forces have sent new military reinforcements to Syria's northwestern province of Idlib to prop up their allied Takfiri militants as they seek to consolidate their grip on areas under their control.
- US military bases, troops come under attack in Syria, Iraq Press TV 05 Dec 2021 -- Two military bases used by US occupation forces in Syria and a convoy of American troops in Iraq have come under attack, amid rising anti-US sentiment in the two neighboring Arab countries.
- UN General Assembly demands full Israeli withdrawal from occupied Syrian Golan Press TV 02 Dec 2021 -- The UN General Assembly has adopted a resolution demanding that the Israeli regime fully withdraw from the Syrian Golan Heights, declaring "null" and "void" the regime's imposition of its jurisdiction on the occupied territory.
- Joint Statement on the Syria Special Envoy Meeting US Dept. of State 02 Dec 2021 -- The following is the Joint Statement on the Syria Special Envoy Meeting.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list