Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syria says air defenses repelled daytime Israeli aggression on Damascus countryside Press TV 30 Oct 2021 -- The Syrian military says the country's air defenses have in a rare daytime strike intercepted missiles fired from the direction of the Israeli-occupied territories at Damascus countryside.
- Electricity transfer deal reached among Lebanon, Syria, Jordan Press TV 29 Oct 2021 -- A deal has been reached between Lebanon, Syria, and Jordan to help transfer electricity to Lebanon, which is suffering from acute energy and economic crises.
- Turkish forces shell Syrian villages amid massive military buildup Press TV 29 Oct 2021 -- Turkish military forces have shelled two villages in Syria's northwestern province of Aleppo, only a few days after Ankara dispatched military and logistical equipment to northern amid mass protests against the presence of Turkish troops in the conflict-plagued Arab country.
- US expected to wage more wars across world, record more defeats in return: Syrian President Assad Press TV 28 Oct 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the United States is expected to wage more wars in different parts of the world and sustain further losses despite its record of failures and defeats in the past.
- Urging the Syrian regime to put the Syrian people ahead of its own survival UK FCDO 27 Oct 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria.
- Syria: Progress still possible, following 'disappointment' over constitutional talks UN News 27 Oct 2021 -- Although the outcome of the latest meeting of the Syrian Constitutional Committee was "a disappointment", members must continue their vital work, the UN Special Envoy for the country said in a briefing to the Security Council on Wednesday.
- CJTF-OIR Reconsolidates assets in shift to Advise, Assist, Enable Posture CENTCOM 27 Oct 2021 -- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve continues to transition from a tactical combat role into one that meets the advise, assist, and enable mission needs for the Government of Iraq and partner forces in Syria.
- Official Tells VOA Iran Believed Behind Attack on US Troops in Syria VOA 26 Oct 2021 -- Iran is believed to have been behind a drone attack last week at the al-Tanf military outpost in southern Syria where American troops are based, two U.S. officials told VOA.
- Pentagon: Senior Al-Qaida Leader Killed in US Drone Strike in Syria VOA 23 Oct 2021 -- A U.S. military drone strike in Syria Friday killed a high-level al-Qaida leader, according to the U.S. Central Command.
- Syrian Constitutional Talks Fail to Reach Consensus VOA 23 Oct 2021 -- U.N.-mediated talks aimed at drafting a new constitution for Syria's war-strapped government have failed to reach a consensus on how to move forward with the political process.
- U.S. strike in the vicinity of Suluk, Syria, Oct. 22, 2021 CENTCOM 22 Oct 2021 -- Statement, attributable to U.S. Army Maj. John Rigsbee, a U.S. Central Command Spokesperson:
- 'Big disappointment' over lack of Syria constitution agreement UN News 22 Oct 2021 -- The process of drafting a new constitution for Syria has been "a big disappointment" UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen concluded on Friday. Following the end of discussions in Geneva, a consensus on how to move forward was not achieved, he added.
- Drone attack targets U.S. base in southern Syria: media People's Daily 21 Oct 2021 -- A drone attack targeted a U.S. base in the al-Tanf area in southern Syria on Wednesday night, state news agency SANA reported.
- Erdogan threatens use of heavy weapons against Syrian army in Idlib Press TV 21 Oct 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has reiterated support for terrorist groups in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, warning that if necessary Ankara can use heavy weapons against Syrian government forces in the area.
- Erdogan Warns Turkey Could Deploy Heavy Weaponry Against Syrian Army Sputnik 21 Oct 2021 -- Damascus has repeatedly condemned Turkey's illegal deployments in its northern territories, and has demanded that all foreign militaries and militias not explicitly invited into the war-torn country by its internationally recognised government leave immediately.
- Bomb Attack on Syrian Army Bus in Damascus Kills at Least 14 VOA 20 Oct 2021 -- At least 14 people were killed Wednesday when two bombs exploded that were attached to a Syrian army bus in Damascus, state media reported
- Northeast Syria Hit Hard by COVID Pandemic VOA 19 Oct 2021 -- Barely conscious, 70-year-old Abbas yanks on the tube piping oxygen into his lungs.
- Syrian government, opposition delegates agree to start drafting new constitution, says UN special envoy Press TV 18 Oct 2021 -- The United Nations special envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen, says representatives of the Syrian government and moderate opposition groups have reached a long-awaited agreement to start drafting new constitutional provisions during UN-mandated talks between the two sides in Geneva this week.
- Press release on Russian representatives' conversation with President of the Syrian Arab Republic Bashar al-Assad Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 18 Oct 2021 -- On October 17, Special Presidential Representative for the Syrian Settlement Alexander Lavrentyev and Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Vershinin were received by President of the Syrian Arab Republic Bashar al-Assad together with members of a Russian interdepartmental delegation including representatives of the Russian Defence Ministry.
- UNHCR chief urges better support for 13 million 'exhausted' and displaced Syrians UN News 18 Oct 2021 -- UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, has urged greater international support for the more than 13 million Syrians who've been displaced in the past 10 years.
- Process to draft Syria constitution begins this week UN News 17 Oct 2021 -- The process of drafting a new constitution for Syria will begin this week, the UN Special Envoy for the country, Geir Pedersen, said on Sunday at a press conference in Geneva.
- Official: Syrian MP killing a cowardly act, assassination rooted in 'Israeli nature': Official Press TV 17 Oct 2021 -- A senior Syrian official has censured Israel's assassination of former Syrian lawmaker Midhat Saleh al-Saleh in the occupied Golan Heights as a cowardly act, saying the crime is rooted in "Israeli nature" which will be avenged.
- Israeli Army Says Not Hiding Behind Civilian Aircraft While Operating in Skies Over Syria Sputnik 17 Oct 2021 -- The Israeli army is not using civilian aircraft as a shield while operating in the skies over Syria, considering the safety of air traffic in the area as one of the highest priorities, a high-ranking officer told Sputnik.
- Syrian Opposition Parties Agree to Begin Drafting New Constitution VOA 17 Oct 2021 -- After a nearly nine-month break, Syrian government and opposition representatives are set to begin a new round of U.N.-mediated talks aimed at drafting a new constitution for battle-weary Syria. Ahead of Monday's start of the talks, a U.N. official met informally on Sunday with members of the committee tasked with drafting the measure.
- Turkey's Erdogan threatens fresh military campaign against Kurdish militants in Syria Press TV 16 Oct 2021 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has threatened to launch a new military campaign on the Syrian soil after a rocket attack blamed on Kurdish militants killed two Turkish special force police in northern Syria.
- Syria Accuses Israel of Killing Head of Cabinet's Golan Affairs Office - Reports Sputnik 16 Oct 2021 -- The Syrian government has accused the Israeli military of shooting dead Midhat Saleh al-Saleh, the head of the office of the occupied Syrian Golan affairs at the Syrian cabinet, the state-run SANA news agency reports.
- Russia: Syria held back fire as Israel used civilian aircraft as cover in Homs raid Press TV 15 Oct 2021 -- Israel has one again used civilian aircraft as a shield against Syrian air defense systems during its attacks on the Arab country, says a Russian general.
- Turkish Military Convoy Targeted in IED Attack Outside Idlib, Injuries Reported Sputnik 15 Oct 2021 -- According to local reports, a Turkish military convoy in the occupied Idlib governorate was struck by an improvised explosive device (IED) on Friday, with reports suggesting that two Turkish soldiers were killed and another five wounded in the attack.
- Israeli warplanes attack Syria's Homs for 2nd time in a week, kill 1 soldier Press TV 14 Oct 2021 -- The Israeli regime carries out another aerial assault against the central Syrian province of Homs in less than a week, killing one soldier and wounding three others.
- Syrian Air Defenses Engage Hostile Targets Over Homs Province, State Media Reveals Sputnik 13 Oct 2021 -- According to social media reports, Syrian anti-aircraft defenses engaged several inbound targets over Homs Governorate shortly before midnight on Wednesday.
- Israel moves tanks to occupied Golan after Syria vows to reclaim it Press TV 12 Oct 2021 -- Israel's military has transferred its tanks to the occupied Golan Heights, a 500-square-mile area with strategic importance, in a dangerous move smacking of provocation.
- Syria's FM hails military co-op with Russia, demands end to illegal US, Turkish presence Press TV 10 Oct 2021 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mikdad says his country does not disagree with Russia over the priorities in the fight against terrorism, while demanding that Turkey and the United States immediately end their illegal occupation of the Arab country.
- Syrian air defense units shot down 8 of 12 Israeli missiles launched at Homs: Russian military Press TV 10 Oct 2021 -- The Russian military says Syrian air defense units have successfully intercepted and shot down most of the missiles launched by Israeli military aircraft at an airbase in the Arab country's central province of Homs.
- Syrian Military Launches Clearing Operation in Deraa Sputnik 10 Oct 2021 -- Fighting resumed in the province this summer after insurgents killed several servicemen and shelled settlements controlled by the government.
- Syrian air defenses thwart Israeli missile attack on Homs province: SANA Press TV 08 Oct 2021 -- Syria's air defenses have thwarted an Israeli missile attack on a military airbase in the country's central province of Homs, shooting down most of the missiles, Syrian state media say.
- Syrian army forces comb southern city in Dara'a for hidden bombs, unexploded ordnance Press TV 07 Oct 2021 -- Syrian army troops have been deployed across the rubble-strewn streets of another town in the country's southwestern province of Dara'a to look for unexploded ordnance and booby traps left by Takfiri terrorists.
- Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Situation in and in Relation to Syria The White House 07 Oct 2021
- Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Situation in and in Relation to Syria The White House 07 Oct 2021
- Syria, Russia slam politicization of Syrian chemical file Press TV 05 Oct 2021 -- Syria and Russia have slammed continued politicization of the Arab country's chemical file by certain countries, maintaining that the Damascus government has honored its commitments under the Chemical Weapons Convention, contrary to the claims made by Western states and their allies.
- A lack of substantial progress in Syria's chemical weapons declaration UK FCDO 04 Oct 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on chemical weapons in Syria.
- Syria's Assad, Jordan's King Abdullah II hold 1st phone talk since start of conflict in 2011 Press TV 03 Oct 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has held a phone call with Jordan's King Abdullah II for the first time since foreign-backed militancy broke out in Syria a decade ago.
- Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova's answers to questions from Agence France-Presse on the repatriation of foreign terrorist fighters and their family members from Syria and Iraq Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 01 Oct 2021
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list