Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Hundreds of Iraqi Nationals Leave al-Hol Refugee Camp in Syria VOA 30 Sep 2021 -- More than 100 Iraqi families have been released from a refugee camp that houses thousands of people, including families of Islamic State fighters, in northeastern Syria.
- Syria, Jordan Reopen Border Crossing Amid Push to Normalize Ties VOA 30 Sep 2021 -- Jordan reopened its main border crossing with Syria on Wednesday, amid an apparent regional push to reintegrate Damascus into regional political and economic structures.
- All uninvited foreign forces must leave Syria without further delay: Iran's envoy to UN ISNA 29 Sep 2021 -- Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the United Nations Majid Takht Ravanchi stressed that thanks to the efforts made by Special Envoy of the UN for Syria and cooperation of the Syrian Government, the next meeting of the Constitutional Committee is expected to take place soon and this is an encouraging development.
- Jordan reopens main border, to resume Syria flights for first time in decade Press TV 29 Sep 2021 -- Jordan has fully reopened its main border crossing with Syria, in a step to restore extensive business ties with Damascus.
- UN launches initiative to support returnees trapped in Syria camps UN News 29 Sep 2021 -- When the extremist militant group ISIL, or Da'esh, collapsed in Iraq and Syria, thousands of foreign nationals were hastily detained in prisons and camps. At least 42,000 foreign women and children, most under the age of 12, currently remain in squalid and overcrowded conditions inside camps in northeast Syria.
- Seizing the opportunity for political progress in Syria UK FCDO 28 Sep 2021 -- Statement by Permanent Representative Barbara Woodward at the Security Council on The situation in the Middle East
- Syria will continue fight against terrorism, work to end foreign occupation: Mikdad Press TV 27 Sep 2021 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad has lashed out at the United States and Turkey for occupying territories in the Arab country, calling on Washington and Ankara to withdraw their forces and stop "plundering" the country's wealth.
- Syria committed to 'combating and eradicating terrorism', General Assembly hears UN News 27 Sep 2021 -- In his speech to the high-level debate at the UN General Assembly on Monday, Fayssal Mekdad, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Expatriates of Syria, reaffirmed his country's commitment to combat terrorism and aim to 'restore security and stability'.
- UN: At Least 350,000 Civilians Killed in Syria's Civil War VOA 25 Sep 2021 -- A United Nations analysis of documented killings in Syria's decade-long war finds that roughly 350,000 civilians have been killed between March 2011, when the conflict erupted, and March 2021. The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights commissioned the analysis and has submitted the results to the U.N. Human Rights Council.
- Pentagon on Milley Proposal: US-Russia Military Contacts Limited to Syria Deconfliction Sputnik 24 Sep 2021 -- Coordination between US and Russian troops is limited to deconfliction in Syria as "a matter of policy and law" due to the situation in Ukraine, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said on Friday in response to a question about US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mark Milley's comments.
- Syria: 10 years of war has left at least 350,000 dead UN News 24 Sep 2021 -- A decade of war in Syria has left more 350,200 people dead, High Commissioner Michelle Bachelet told the Human Rights Council on Friday, noting that this total was an "under-count of the actual number of killings".
- Militants give up weapons as Syrian Army advances in Dara'a province Press TV 23 Sep 2021 -- In a bid to get rid of terrorist remnants in southern Syria, the Syrian Army has entered several towns in Dara'a province, where militants handed their weapons to the army under a truce agreement proposed by the Damascus government last month.
- Syria urges immediate withdrawal of Turkish troops from northern regions Press TV 23 Sep 2021 -- Foreign Minister Faisal Mikdad has reiterated Syria's calls for Turkey to immediately withdraw its forces from the northern regions of the Arab country.
- UN Human Rights Council 48: UK statement for the interactive dialogue with UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria UK FCDO 23 Sep 2021 -- UK Ambassador to the UN and WTO in Geneva Simon Manley gave this statement expressing the UK's deep concern about the situation in Dara'a.
- U.S. forces conducted a kinetic counterterrorism strike near Idlib, Syria, Sept. 20th, 2021 CENTCOM 20 Sep 2021 -- The CPS mission in Lebanon is designed to build partner capacity through subject-matter-expert exchanges, enhancing interoperability and the military-to-military relationship between the U.S. Navy and Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF).
- US Strike Targets al-Qaida in Syria VOA 20 Sep 2021 -- Just days after the United States admitted killing civilians instead of terrorists in a drone strike in Afghanistan, the U.S. military launched a strike to kill a top terror official in Syria.
- US Launches Air Strike on 'Senior al-Qaeda Leader' in Idlib, Syria Sputnik 20 Sep 2021 -- The Pentagon announced on Monday it had carried out an airstrike against a senior leader of Al-Qaeda* located in Idlib Governorate, the northern Syrian province occupied by Turkish troops and radical Muslim rebel militias.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 20 Sep 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Syria condemns Turkish military aggression, stresses right to respond Press TV 20 Sep 2021 -- The Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has strongly condemned the Turkish military's ongoing operations in the northern part of the country, stressing that the offensives are in blatant violation of the Arab nation's sovereignty and independence.
- Syrian defense minister makes rare visit to Jordan to talk border security, Dara'a situation Press TV 20 Sep 2021 -- Syrian Defense Minister General Ali Abdullah Ayyoub has made a rare trip to neighboring Jordan to discuss stability on their mutual border as well as the situation in Syria's southwestern city of Dara'a.
- Daesh claims responsibility for attack on Syrian gas pipeline Press TV 19 Sep 2021 -- The Daesh terrorist group has claimed responsibility for a recent attack on a major natural gas pipeline southeast of the Syrian capital that led to power outages in the city and surrounding areas.
- Hundreds of armed militants lay down weapons in Syria's Tafas Press TV 19 Sep 2021 -- Hundreds of armed militants have handed over their weapons to the Syrian army in the town of Tafas in southwestern Dara'a province under a reconciliation agreement with the government.
- China urges stepped up efforts aimed at improvement of Syria's humanitarian situation Press TV 16 Sep 2021 -- China has called on the international community to step up efforts aimed at considerable improvement of the humanitarian situation in war-ravaged Syria.
- Syrian army forces make fresh gains in Dara'a, raise flag in another town Press TV 16 Sep 2021 -- Syrian army troops and security forces have raised the national flag in another town in the country's southwestern province of Dara'a, as government soldiers continue their push to retake full control of areas that Takfiri militants once held.
- Kurdish Authorities Release 324 Syrian Nationals From al-Hol Camp VOA 16 Sep 2021 -- Kurdish-led authorities in northeast Syria have released 324 Syrian nationals from a refugee camp that houses thousands of people, including families of Islamic State fighters.
- Concern for Syria's civilians amid escalation of violence UK FCDO 15 Sep 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council Briefing on the humanitarian situation in Syria.
- Russia: US seeking 'de facto partition' of Syria through occupation Press TV 15 Sep 2021 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has denounced the illegal US military presence in Syria, warning that Washington is actually seeking to disintegrate the Arab country.
- Christians Concerned About Turkish Attacks in Northeast Syria VOA 14 Sep 2021 -- Syrian Christian leaders are expressing concerns over escalating Turkish attacks in northeast Syria, saying the recent military activity has driven many Christians and members of other minority groups from their homes.
- After 10 years of war in Syria, siege tactics still threaten civilians UN News 14 Sep 2021 -- The future for Syria's people is "increasingly bleak", UN-appointed rights experts said on Tuesday, highlighting escalating conflict in several areas of the war-ravaged country, a return to siege tactics and popular demonstrations linked to the plummeting economy.
- UN Probe Finds Uptick in Fighting, War Crimes 10 Years Into Syrian Conflict VOA 14 Sep 2021 -- A U.N. investigative body finds what it calls, an alarming upsurge in fighting and violence, with some incidents amounting to war crimes and crimes against humanity, ten years into Syria's civil war. The report by the U.N. Syria Commission of Inquiry will be submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Council.
- Putin criticizes foreign forces in Syria at Kremlin meet with Assad Press TV 14 Sep 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has paid a surprise visit to Moscow where Russian President Vladimir Putin told him that the presence of foreign forces without a UN mandate is hindering the Arab country's recovery.
- Meeting with President of Syria Bashar al-Assad President of Russia 14 Sep 2021 -- Yesterday Vladimir Putin had a meeting at the Kremlin with President of the Syrian Arab Republic Bashar al-Assad, who is currently in Russia on a visit.
- Putin, Assad Meet For First Time In Over A Year RFE/RL 14 Sep 2021 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has met with Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad in Moscow to discuss military cooperation against the remaining rebel-held areas in Syria, state media in Damascus reported on September 14.
- Presence of US Troops in Eastern Syria is 'De Facto Partition', Russian Foreign Ministry Says Sputnik 14 Sep 2021 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov warned Tuesday that the continued presence of American troops in eastern Syria amounts to a de facto partition of the country.
- Syrian army takes full control of terrorist-held town in Dara'a after 10 years Press TV 13 Sep 2021 -- The Syrian army has entered the town of al-Yadudah in the southern province of Dara'a after 10 years following an agreement with local tribal elders brokered by Russia, reports said on Monday.
- US, Turkey must end Syria occupation, respect its national sovereignty: FM Mikdad Press TV 11 Sep 2021 -- Syrian Foreign and Expatriates Minister Faisal Mikdad says Damascus opposes any foreign interference in its domestic affairs, urging the United States and Turkey to end their occupation of the Arab country's territories and their violations of its sovereignty.
- Syrian Army units enter Dara'a al-Balad in bid to push terrorists out Press TV 08 Sep 2021 -- Units of the Syrian Army have entered Dara'a al-Balad, the last stronghold of militants in the war-torn country's south, and raised Syria's national flags there, as a push to get rid of terrorist remnants proceeds successfully.
- Syrian Army Enters Last Militant Stronghold in Daraa Sputnik 08 Sep 2021 -- Syrian Army units, accompanied by Russian military police, have entered Daraa al-Balad, the last stronghold of armed criminal groups in the country's south, a Sputnik correspondent reported on 8 September.
- Syria rejects Cavusoglu's claim about talks with Turkey on security issues Press TV 07 Sep 2021 -- Syria has dismissed the Turkish foreign minister's comments about communications with the Damascus government on security issues, calling Ankara the "main sponsor" of terror groups wreaking havoc on the neighboring Arab country.
- Russian, Syrian helicopter pilots hold first-ever joint drills in Syrian Desert Press TV 07 Sep 2021 -- Russian and Syrian helicopter pilots have been holding their first-ever joint drills in Syria's southeastern desert.
- Over 400 militants lay down arms in Dara'a after truce deal with Syrian army: Military source Press TV 07 Sep 2021 -- More than 400 militants holed up in Syria's southwestern province of Dara'a have agreed to lay down their arms and renounce violence following breaches of a truce agreement they reached with the national army last month.
- Syria resumes pounding militants' positions in Dara'a after Russia-mediated deal fails Press TV 05 Sep 2021 -- The Syrian military has renewed its attacks against the last militant enclave in the southwestern city of Dara'a following the collapse of a Russian-mediated deal to restore government rule in the area and end the presence of militants there.
- Syrians will achieve final victory in face of aggression forces' economic war: President Assad Press TV 04 Sep 2021 -- President Bashar al-Assad says the aggression forces have imposed an economic blockade on Syria after their failure in the militarily and security arenas, emphasizing that the country's people will be able to overcome this stage and achieve the final victory.
- Syrian air defenses shot down 21 of 24 Israeli missiles fired in latest raid on Damascus, Russian military says Press TV 04 Sep 2021 -- The Russian military says Syrian air defense units intercepted most of the missiles fired during a recent Israeli raid on the capital Damascus, shooting down 21 projectiles during the attack launched from the Lebanese airspace.
- Damascus agrees to Beirut's request to help transport Egypt's gas, Jordan's electricity to Lebanon via Syria Press TV 04 Sep 2021 -- Damascus has agreed to the Lebanese government's request to help transport gas from Egypt and electricity from Jordan via Syrian territory to Lebanon, which is struggling with an energy crisis.
- Syria: Prevent 'entire generation from being lost', urges UN humanitarian chief UN News 04 Sep 2021 -- Some 13.4 million Syrians throughout the beleaguered country are in need of assistance, the UN humanitarian office said on Saturday, calling for "greater access and expanded funding", to better help them.
- Syrian air defense units intercept, destroy Israeli missiles over Damascus Press TV 03 Sep 2021 -- Syrian air defenses have thwarted another Israeli act of aggression against the war-ravaged Arab country, and shot down a number of "hostile" missiles in the skies over the capital city of Damascus.
- ISIS Militant Pleads Guilty to Role in Deaths of Four Americans in Syria US Dept. of Justice 02 Sep 2021 -- 'Beatles' Member Admits to Participating in Hostage-Taking Scheme that Resulted in the Deaths of American, British and Japanese Citizens
- Syria's breach of international obligations by using chemical weapons UK FCDO 02 Sep 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Syria Chemical Weapons
- Syrian Forces, Iran-Backed Militias Intensify Deraa Attacks RFE/RL 01 Sep 2021 -- Syrian forces and pro-Iran militias heightened an offensive against a rebel enclave in a southwestern region on the border with Jordan and Israel, military and opposition sources say.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list