Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syrian army responds to deadly attacks by terrorists holed up in Dara'a Press TV 31 Aug 2021 -- The Syrian military has conducted retaliatory strikes on the last militant enclave in the southern city of Dara'a after the armed terrorists holed up in the area launched deadly attacks against army soldiers and civilians.
- China voices support for Syria reconstruction, improving Syrians' livelihood Press TV 27 Aug 2021 -- Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang says his country attaches great importance to developing relations with Syria and is keen to support the Arab country in combating the coronavirus pandemic, improving the livelihood of its people and accelerating reconstruction.
- The besiegement in Daraa must stop UK FCDO 24 Aug 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- Increased Syria violence prompts largest civilian displacements in a year, as gridlock stymies political talks UN News 24 Aug 2021 -- Progress towards resolving Syria's decade-long conflict has reached an impasse, the chief United Nations mediator told the Security Council on Tuesday, as an uptick in fighting throughout the country led to some of the largest civilian displacements in a year.
- Syria: Eighth Anniversary of the Ghouta Chemical Weapons Attack US Dept. of State 21 Aug 2021 -- Eight years ago, on the early morning of August 21, 2013, the Assad regime released the nerve agent sarin on its own people in the Ghouta district of Damascus, killing more than 1,400 Syrians, many of them children.
- Iraqi Refugees Alarmed at Increasing Violence at Syria's Al-Hol Camp VOA 11 Aug 2021 -- Iraqi refugees at the al-Hol camp in northeast Syria are voicing concerns about the growing violence inside the camp, which hosts thousands of people, including families of Islamic State (IS) foreign fighters.
- Syria's Assad approves new cabinet headed by Arnous, key portfolios unchanged Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in a decree on Tuesday approved a new cabinet headed by Hussein Arnous, less than two weeks after the caretaker-premier was tasked with forming a new government.
- US military forces have no legal mandate to operate in Syria: Russian Embassy in Washington Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- The Russian Embassy in Washington says US military forces deployed to the oil-rich northeastern part of Syria have no legal mandate to stay in the Arab country under the allegations of fighting the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group.
- US targets anti-terror resistance groups in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon with new sanctions Press TV 10 Aug 2021 -- The US State Department has imposed a new round of sanctions on resistance groups in Iraq Syria and Lebanon, in what appears to be a sign of Washington's anger over the successful role they have been playing in the fight against foreign-sponsored terror outfits in the two Arab countries.
- Civilians in southern Syria 'under siege' â€“ UN human rights chief UN News 05 Aug 2021 -- The top UN rights official once more sounded the alarm on Thursday over the plight of civilians in Syria, as intense fighting and indiscriminate shelling by Government forces and armed opposition groups paralyze neighbourhoods in and around the southern city of Daraa.
- Amphetamine Seizures Highlight the Role of Syria in Trafficking VOA 04 Aug 2021 -- Customs officials at the Al-Haditha Port, located near Saudi Arabia's border with Jordan, intercepted last month a consignment of more than 2 million Captagon pills hidden in the hollowed-out lids of jars of tomato paste.
- Urging Syria to cooperate fully with the OPCW UK FCDO 04 Aug 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Syria chemical weapons
- Work still remains on Syria chemical weapons destruction, Security Council hears UN News 04 Aug 2021 -- Identifying perpetrators of chemical weapon attacks, and holding them accountable, must remain a priority, a senior UN official said on Wednesday during the latest Security Council meeting on Syria.
- Syria strikes down spy drone near Aleppo Press TV 03 Aug 2021 -- The Syrian military's air defense units have brought down a spy drone in the countryside of the northwestern city of Aleppo.
- Islamic State Group Smuggling Boys to Desert Training Camps VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- More than two years after the collapse of its self-declared caliphate, the Islamic State terror group appears to be trying to rebuild its army in the eastern Syrian desert on the backs of boys and teenagers, many smuggled out of the displaced persons camps that dot Syria's northeast.
- Syria's Assad asks PM Arnous in presidential decree to form new cabinet Press TV 01 Aug 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has tasked Prime Minister Hussein Arnous with forming a new government, more than two months after a presidential election, which the 55-year-old leader won with 95.1% of the votes.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list