Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Foreign-backed militants launch new attack on Syrian positions in Dara'a Press TV 29 Jul 2021 -- At least eight anti-terror fighters have been killed in fierce fighting with Takfiri militants in Syria's southern province of Dara'a, a UK-based monitoring group says.
- Syrian Military Launches Operation Against Remaining Terrorists in Daraa - Source Sputnik 29 Jul 2021 -- The Syrian armed forces launched an operation to neutralize terrorist groups refusing to lay down arms in the southern city of Daraa on Thursday morning, a Syrian military field source told Sputnik.
- Designation of Al-Qa'ida-Linked Financial Facilitators US Dept. of State 28 Jul 2021 -- The United States is designating one Turkey-based al-Qa'ida financial facilitator for materially assisting al-Qa'ida and one Syria-based terrorist fundraiser and recruiter for providing material support to Hay'at Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS), a group linked with al-Qa'ida.
- Treasury Designates Al-Qa'ida-Linked Financial Facilitators in Turkey and Syria US Treasury 28 Jul 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated one Turkey-based al-Qa'ida financial facilitator for materially assisting al-Qa'ida. Additionally, OFAC designated one Syria-based terrorist fundraiser and recruiter for providing material support to Hay'et Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS).
- Imposing Sanctions in Defense of Human Rights in Syria US Dept. of State 28 Jul 2021 -- The United States is taking action to promote accountability for entities and individuals that have perpetuated the suffering of the Syrian people. The United States is sanctioning eight Syrian prisons, five Assad regime officials in the institutions that run those facilities, two militia groups, and two militia leaders.
- Treasury Sanctions Syrian Regime Prisons, Officials, and Syrian Armed Group US Treasury 28 Jul 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is sanctioning eight Syrian prisons run by the Assad regime's intelligence apparatus, which have been sites of human rights abuses against political prisoners and other detainees.
- US Treasury Sanctions Syrian Prisons, Officials, Armed Group VOA 28 Jul 2021 -- The U.S. Treasury Department on Wednesday announced sanctions on eight Syrian prisons run by President Bashar al-Assad's intelligence agencies, citing human rights abuses against political prisoners and other detainees.
- Islamic State Resilient as Ever in Iraq, Syria VOA 26 Jul 2021 -- Intelligence agencies studying the fate of the Islamic State in Iraq fear the terror group is not going anywhere, even as U.S. combat forces in the country prepare to "recede deep into the background" and leave the brunt of the work to Iraqi forces.
- Two Turkish Soldiers Killed in Attack in Northern Syria, Military Says Sputnik 24 Jul 2021 -- The Turkish forces did not specify the perpetrators of the attack, but it could apparently come from Kurdish forces fighting in the region, who Ankara considered to be terrorists, affiliated with the PKK, which is banned in Turkey.
- Syria's air defense systems downed all missiles Israeli jets fired at Homs, says Russia Press TV 23 Jul 2021 -- The Russian Defense Ministry says Syria's air defense systems intercepted and shot down all four guided missiles launched by Israeli warplanes during a recent aggression on the Arab country's central province of Homs.
- Syria says to spare no effort to defend its sovereignty after new Israeli raid Press TV 22 Jul 2021 -- Reacting to Israel's new airstrikes, Syria says it will spare no effort to defend its sovereignty in the face of Israeli acts of aggression.
- Syria shot down seven of eight Israeli missiles targeting Aleppo: Russia Press TV 21 Jul 2021 -- The Russian Defense Ministry says Syria's air defenses shot down seven out of eight missiles launched by Israeli warplanes during a recent aggression on the northwestern Syrian province of Aleppo.
- Videos: Syrian Air Defenses Repel 'Aggression' in Sky Over Homs Governorate, State Media Report Sputnik 21 Jul 2021 -- According to Syrian state television and local reports, Syrian anti-air defenses were engaging hostile targets over the central city of Homs early on Thursday morning, which were identified as Israeli.
- Syria warns of 'serious repercussions' after Israel launches airstrike on Aleppo Press TV 20 Jul 2021 -- Syria has warned the Israeli regime of "serious repercussions" of unrelenting military attacks against the war-torn country, saying such acts of aggression will not dissuade Syrian forces from battling Israeli-backed militant groups.
- Israel shells southern Lebanon after airstrikes target Aleppo in Syria Press TV 20 Jul 2021 -- The Israeli military has fired artillery shells into southern Lebanon, shortly after the regime's aircraft launched a number of missiles at targets near the northwestern Syrian city of Aleppo.
- Syria defenses fend off Israeli missiles: SANA Press TV 19 Jul 2021 -- Syria's air defense units reportedly intercept several missiles fired during Israeli airstrikes against the Arab country's northwestern province of Aleppo.
- Video: Syrian Air Defenses Repelling 'Israeli Aggression' in Sky Over Aleppo, State Media Report Sputnik 19 Jul 2021 -- The Syrian government has repeatedly appealed to the UN Security Council with a demand to put pressure on Israel in order to end the systematic violation of Syria's sovereignty, since such aggressive actions threaten the stability of the entire region.
- North Macedonia Repatriates Four Suspected Islamic State Fighters, Families RFE/RL 19 Jul 2021 -- North Macedonia says it has repatriated four suspected former fighters of the Islamic State (IS) extremist group and their families from Syria and Iraq.
- Kosovo Repatriates 11 Citizens From Islamic State Camps In Syria RFE/RL 18 Jul 2021 -- Kosovo has repatriated 11 of its citizens from camps in Syria holding Islamic State group fighters and their families.
- Assad takes oath for new term, vows to fight 'economic war' Press TV 17 Jul 2021 -- President Bashar al-Assad has taken the oath of office for a fourth term in war-ravaged Syria, after taking 95 percent of the vote.
- Syria's Assad Takes Oath for Fourth Seven-Year Term VOA 17 Jul 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who was formally re-elected to a fourth seven-year term in May despite allegations of fraud by many Western countries, took the oath of office Saturday in Damascus.
- US Calls Out Genocide, Atrocities Committed in 6 Countries VOA 12 Jul 2021 -- The United States called out genocide and atrocities happening in six countries â€”Myanmar (also known as Burma,) China, Ethiopia, Iraq, Syria and South Sudan â€” as part of a report highlighting how the U.S. government is using financial, diplomatic and other measures to try to stop them.
- Briefing with Acting Assistant Secretary for Conflict and Stabilization Operations Robert Faucher On Release of the 2021 Congressional Report Pursuant to the Elie Wiesel Genocide and Atrocities Prevention Act US Dept. of State 12 Jul 2021
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken Remarks to the Press on Release of the 2021 Congressional Report Pursuant to the Elie Wiesel Genocide and Atrocities Prevention Act US Dept. of State 12 Jul 2021
- Press release on UN Security Council resolution extending use of border crossing for humanitarian aid into Syria Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 12 Jul 2021
- US Forces Come Under Rocket Attack in Syria's Deir ez-Zor, Defense Official Confirms Sputnik 10 Jul 2021 -- A blast was reportedly heard in a factory used by American troops as a military base, allegedly caused by a mortar shell, local media reports say. US forces have been repeatedly accused by the Syrian government of plundering the country's resources in the oil-rich eastern part of the Arab Republic.
- More cross-line aid delivery in Syria, no unilateral sanctions -- Chinese envoy People's Daily 10 Jul 2021 -- A Chinese envoy on Friday called for the enhancing of cross-line aid delivery in Syria and the lifting of unilateral sanctions against the country.
- Iran: Any assistance to Syria must respect its national sovereignty IRNA 09 Jul 2021 -- Iran's representative in the 16th round of talks on Syria, known as the Astana Process, Aliasghar Khaji stressed that any humanitarian aid to Syria must be through its government with respect to the national sovereignty and territorial integrity of this country.
- UN Approves Resolution Agreed By Russia, U.S. On Humanitarian Aid For Syria RFE/RL 09 Jul 2021 -- The UN Security Council has approved an extension of a cross-border aid operation for millions of desperate people in Syria after Russia agreed to a compromise in last-minute talks with the United States in a move commended by U.S. President Joe Biden and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in a phone call.
- 'The minimum necessary to meet the humanitarian needs of the Syrian people' UK FCDO 09 Jul 2021 -- Explanation of Vote by Ambassador Barbara Woodward following the Security Council adoption of resolution on Syria
- Foreign Secretary statement on Bab Al-Hawa crossing UK FCDO 09 Jul 2021 -- UK Foreign Secretary welcomes UN Security Council Resolution on Syria aid access.
- Syria: UN chief welcomes Security Council extension of vital cross-border aid operation UN News 09 Jul 2021 -- The UN chief has welcomed a decision on Friday by the Security Council to extend the UN cross-border aid operation in northwest Syria for another 12 months, providing a lifeline for more than 3.4 million people in need, including some one million children.
- UN Security Council Extends Cross-border Aid to Syria for 1 Year VOA 09 Jul 2021 -- The United States and Russia reached a last-minute compromise Friday to keep humanitarian aid flowing for another year from Turkey to millions of people in northwestern Syria.
- Iran, Russia, Turkey to cooperate to eradicate terrorism in Syria IRNA 08 Jul 2021 -- At the end of the 16th round of talks on Syria, known as the Astana Process, the Islamic Republic of Iran, Russia, and Turkey announced in a joint statement that they will continue their cooperation until the complete eradication of the ISIS and other terrorist groups in Syria.
- Joint Statement by the Representatives of Iran, Russia and Turkey on the 16th International Meeting on Syria in the Astana Format, Nur-Sultan, 7-8 July 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 08 Jul 2021
- Russia Will Not Support 1-Year Extension of Cross-Border Aid into Syria, Amsassador to UN Says Sputnik 08 Jul 2021 -- Russia will not support the extension for 12 months of the cross-border humanitarian aid delivery mechanism into Syria as the UN Security Council prepares to vote on the issue on Friday, Russian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Vassily Nebenzia told reporters on Thursday.
- Syria Out of Media Spotlight, but War and Suffering Continue VOA 07 Jul 2021 -- A U.N. panel of experts warns that while Syria's 10 year long civil conflict may have fallen off the world's media spotlight, the fighting and suffering of millions of people is far from over. The three-member Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria has submitted its latest report to the UN human rights council.
- Fate of Millions of Syrians Hangs in Balance of Tough UN Talks VOA 06 Jul 2021 -- The U.N. Security Council began potentially contentious negotiations Tuesday on whether to continue humanitarian aid operations from Turkey into northern Syria for another year.
- Syrian Kurds Transfer 20 Children To Russia For Repatriation From Islamic State Camps RFE/RL 03 Jul 2021 -- The Syrian Kurdish administration has handed over another 20 children languishing in camps for the Islamic State group to a Russian delegation for repatriation.
- Syrian Families Released from Camp Face Challenges at Home VOA 01 Jul 2021 -- Many displaced residents of the Syrian town of Sarrin are returning to their homes after spending years in al-Hol camp, which hosts thousands of people who lived under Islamic State (IS) rule.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list