Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Pentagon Suggests Iran-backed Group Responsible for Rocket Attack in Syria VOA 29 Jun 2021 -- The Pentagon is suggesting that Monday's rocket attack against U.S. forces in Syria was launched by Iranian-backed militia forces.
- U.S. Support for the People of Syria US Dept. of State 29 Jun 2021
- UK Minister visits Syria border to push for continued humanitarian access UK FCDO 29 Jun 2021 -- Minister for the European Neighbourhood, Wendy Morton, visited the Bab al-Hawa border crossing between Turkey and northern Syria and reiterated the UK's call for the essential aid corridor to remain open.
- US Strikes Back After Rocket Attack in Syria VOA 28 Jun 2021 -- U.S. troops in Syria have returned fire after a rocket attack targeted American forces there Monday, according to a military spokesman.
- U.S. Defends Strikes Against Iran-Backed Militias In Iraq-Syria Border Area RFE/RL 28 Jun 2021 -- The United States has defended weekend U.S. air strikes against Iran-aligned militias near the Iraqi-Syrian border as both Baghdad and Damascus condemned the unilateral attacks as violations of their sovereignty.
- White House: Biden Ordered Airstrikes on Iran-Backed Militia to 'Limit Escalation' Sputnik 28 Jun 2021 -- US President Joe Biden ordered US airstrikes against Iran-backed militia forces in Iraq and Syria in order to limit escalation, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said on Monday.
- Iraqi Shia Militia Say No Ammunition Depots Located in Areas Targeted by US Airstrikes Sputnik 28 Jun 2021 -- Iraq's Shiite-dominated Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF) denied on Monday any presence of arms depots at the positions struck by the US Air Force on the country's border with Syria.
- Iraq Condemns US Airstrike on Border With Syria, Pledges to Investigate, Official Says Sputnik 28 Jun 2021 -- Iraq denounces the latest US airstrike against Shia militia on the Iraqi-Syrian border and will investigate the attack, Yehia Rasool, the spokesman for the Iraqi commander-in-chief, said on Monday.
- Joint Statement on the Ministerial Meeting on Syria US Dept. of State 28 Jun 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States, Italy, Canada, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Iraq, Ireland, Japan, Jordan, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and representatives of the League of Arab States and European Union, which met today to discuss the crisis in Syria.
- Statement by the Department of Defense DoD 27 Jun 2021 -- "At President Biden's direction, U.S. military forces earlier this evening conducted defensive precision airstrikes against facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups in the Iraq-Syria border region."
- U.S. Strikes Iran-Backed Militias In Iraq-Syria Border Area RFE/RL 27 Jun 2021 -- The U.S. military carried out air strikes against Iran-backed militias in the Iraq-Syria border area, in retaliation for drone attacks by the groups against U.S. personnel and facilities in Iraq.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 25 Jun 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- 'We remain firm in our belief that the way to secure rights for all Syrians is by bringing about a negotiated end to this appalling conflict' UK FCDO 25 Jun 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador James Roscoe, UK Acting Deputy Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- Syria's last cross-border aid lifeline must stay open, insist UN humanitarians UN News 25 Jun 2021 -- The imminent closure of the last cross-border aid lifeline to northwest Syria must be postponed beyond the 10 July deadline, UN humanitarians said on Friday, noting that no cross-line supplies had reached Idlib from Damascus, in 11 months.
- Syria: 'Gulf of mistrust', complex realities, prevent political progress UN News 25 Jun 2021 -- Progress towards resolving Syria's decade-long war is unlikely, given the 'gulf of mistrust' among parties and complexity of conditions on the ground, the chief UN mediator for the country told the Security Council on Friday, as he urged delegates to unite around elements of resolution 2254 (2015) and called for a new international dialogue to achieve a breakthrough.
- Syria Faces Humanitarian Catastrophe if Turkish Border Closes VOA 25 Jun 2021 -- U.N. agencies warn of a humanitarian catastrophe if the Turkish border crossing into northwest Syria is closed, preventing aid agencies from delivering life-saving assistance to millions of Syrians displaced by war.
- UN officials appeal for extension of lifesaving cross-border aid operations into Syria UN News 23 Jun 2021 -- Humanitarian convoys from Turkey that bring lifesaving aid into northwest Syria must continue, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- 'Ending the cross-border mandate would cut off the last lifeline into the country for millions of vulnerable Syrians in the northwest' UK FCDO 23 Jun 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- Russia, China Question Need for Aid Operations from Turkey to Northwest Syria VOA 23 Jun 2021 -- The U.N. secretary-general personally appealed to the Security Council on Wednesday to extend vital cross-border aid from Turkey into northwest Syria for another year, saying not to do so "would have devastating consequences."
- Somalia, Congo, Afghanistan, Syria Among Most Dangerous for Children in Conflict VOA 21 Jun 2021 -- Somalia, Congo, Afghanistan and Syria top the list of the most dangerous conflict zones for children, the United Nations said Monday, accounting for nearly 60% of all violations among the entries on its annual blacklist of countries where children suffer grave abuses.
- UN strongly condemns 'appalling' attack on Syrian hospital UN News 14 Jun 2021 -- Senior UN officials have condemned a deadly attack on a hospital in Syria this past weekend, underlining the need for accountability for crimes committed in the country's decade-long war.
- Attack on Hospital in Afrin, Syria US Dept. of State 13 Jun 2021
- Attack on Hospital in Afrin, Syria US Dept. of State 13 Jun 2021 -- "We condemn in the strongest terms yesterday's attacks on the al Shifaa Hospital in Afrin, Syria. This barbaric attack took the lives of children, medical staff, and first responders."
- HTS spokesman killed as Syrian army hits militant positions in southern Idlib: Reports Press TV 10 Jun 2021 -- The official spokesman for the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) Takfiri terrorist group has reportedly been killed after Syrian government forces struck positions belonging to foreign-sponsored militants in the southern part of the country's troubled northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syria rejects Blinken's remarks on occupied Golan Heights Press TV 09 Jun 2021 -- Syria has categorically rejected remarks by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken about the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, reiterating that the land was and will remain a "Syrian Arab" territory.
- Syria's air defenses intercept Israeli missiles over Damascus Press TV 08 Jun 2021 -- The Syrian military says the country's air defenses have intercepted a number of Israeli missiles in the skies over the capital Damascus.
- Netherlands Admits 4 Nationals Held by Kurds in Syria VOA 07 Jun 2021 -- A senior government delegation from the Netherlands arrived in Qamishli, a predominantly Kurdish city in northeastern Syria, to take back four Dutch nationals tied to the Islamic State.
- Syria condemns illegal entry of Dutch, French delegations into areas held by US-backed SDF militants Press TV 06 Jun 2021 -- Syrian Foreign Ministry has strongly denounced illegal entry of western delegations from the Netherlands and France into troubled northeastern part of the country, which has been occupied by US-backed militants.
- UN's World Food Programme cuts assistance to Syrian refugees in Jordan Press TV 04 Jun 2021 -- The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) announces that funding shortages have forced it to cut its food assistance for thousands of Syrian refugees living in Jordan.
- Syria's liberation, close ties with allies high on Assad's agenda in new term: Aide Press TV 03 Jun 2021 -- A senior aide to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the liberation of the country from occupation and the reinforcement of relations with allies are among the priorities of the head of state during his new term in office.
- We continue to insist on Syria's full cooperation with OPCW UK FCDO 03 Jun 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria Chemical Weapons
- Accountability crucial to 'truly relegate' Syria chemical weapons to history UN News 03 Jun 2021 -- Until those responsible for any and all chemical weapons use in Syria are held responsible, the global community will continue sending a message of impunity, the senior UN disarmament official warned the Security Council on Thursday.
- Israel claims destroying Syrian army post in occupied Golan Heights Press TV 02 Jun 2021 -- The Israeli military says it has blown up a Syrian army post in the Golan Heights, using ground forces to detonate the site instead of targeting it from the air in order to send a message to Syria and Lebanese resistance group Hezbollah.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list