Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Turkey's Erdogan Under Renewed Pressure Following Mafia Boss Allegations VOA 31 May 2021 -- The Turkish government is facing accusations of arming and funding jihadists in Syria. The allegations are just the latest by an exiled mafia boss in a weekly YouTube broadcast that are putting the Turkish president in an increasingly tight spot.
- Mob boss: Turkey sent arms to Syria's al-Nusra through private military contractor Press TV 31 May 2021 -- A Turkish mob boss and former ally of the country's president has accused the country's ruling party of conspiring with a pro-government paramilitary contractor to divert aid intended for the Turkish minority in Syria to the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham Takfiri terrorist group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Syria: Renewal of sanctions proves EU 'partnership in unjust war' Press TV 30 May 2021 -- Syria has slammed the European Union for extending its inhumane sanctions against the nation, saying the move demonstrates the 27-nation bloc's "partnership" in the war on the Arab country and its "responsibility" for the blood spilled there.
- Iran's Rohani Congratulates Assad On Syria Election Victory RFE/RL 28 May 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has congratulated Syria's Bashar al-Assad on winning a fourth seven-year presidential term, according to an Iranian presidential website.
- Bashar al-Assad overwhelmingly wins Syria's presidential election Press TV 27 May 2021 -- Syria's President Bashar al-Assad wins the country's presidential election by a landslide, securing 95.1 percent of the popular vote.
- Syria Holds 2nd Presidential Election Since Conflict Began in 2011 VOA 26 May 2021 -- Syria held its second presidential election Wednesday since civil war broke out in 2011, despite accusations from around the world the polling is not free and fair. Two candidates are vying with veteran President Bashar al-Assad, who came to office in 2000, following the death of his father, longtime ruler Hafez al-Assad.
- Syrians head to polls to elect president as anti-terror fight nears end Press TV 26 May 2021 -- Syrians vote in a presidential election as the counter-terrorism operation in the Arab country nears an end with government forces winning back control of almost all regions from foreign-backed militants.
- During relative calm, growing humanitarian suffering in Syria, a 'tragic irony' UN News 26 May 2021 -- Violent conflict, terrorism and human rights abuses continue in Syria as its besieged population suffers economic destitution, displacement, detention and abduction, the UN's Special Envoy for the country told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- Joint Statement by the Secretary of State of the United States of America, the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom, and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and Italy US Dept. of State 25 May 2021 -- The following statement was released by United States Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio, and UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Syria's presidential election.
- Syria Presidential Election on 26 May: Quint Statement UK FCDO 25 May 2021 -- Joint Statement by the Secretary of State of the United States of America, the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and Italy on the presidential election in Syria.
- Western Governments Denounce Syria's Elections VOA 25 May 2021 -- In a joint statement released a day ahead of Syria's national elections, some Western countries denounced the poll, which they said would be neither free nor fair.
- Syria censures France's interventionist remarks on presidential vote Press TV 23 May 2021 -- The Syrian government has lambasted the French foreign ministry's interventionist remarks about the presidential vote in the Arab country, stressing that only Syrians have the final word in the matter and no foreign party is allowed to meddle in Syria's affairs.
- Syria hails 'massive' turnout of expatriates in presidential election Press TV 22 May 2021 -- The Syrian Foreign Ministry has extended its appreciation to expatriates and refugees for their "massive participation" in presidential election.
- Abkhazia Separatist Leader Meets Syrian President In Damascus RFE/RL 20 May 2021 -- The de facto president of Georgia's breakaway region of Abkhazia, Aslan Bzhania, has wrapped up a three-day visit to Syria, his office said on May 19.
- US, UN Officials Hail Uzbekistan's Repatriation of IS Families VOA 19 May 2021 -- U.S. and U.N. envoys to Uzbekistan have praised the country's repatriation of Islamic State wives and children in the Middle East, saying other nations should follow suit as a part of a global effort to reduce the risk of IS reemergence in Syria and Iraq.
- Iran to stand by Syrian nation, government in reconstructing their country: Defense Minister ISNA 19 May 2021 -- Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier-General Amir Hatami announced that economic centers of the Defense Ministry are ready for any sort of help and cooperation regarding reconstruction of Syria and meeting the country's needs.
- Syria: Prolonged violence, violation and abuse 'bound to affect generations to come' UN News 19 May 2021 -- Millions of children trapped in protracted conflict in Syria continue to endure severe violence with little support for survivors, according to the UN Secretary-General's third report on the situation, launched on Wednesday.
- The United States Designates ISIS Financial Facilitators US Dept. of State 17 May 2021 -- Today, the United States is designating three individuals and one entity connected to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) to coincide with the 14th meeting of the Counter ISIS Finance Group, which plays a key role coordinating the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS' efforts to disrupt the group's generation and transfer of resources.
- Treasury Targets ISIS Financial Facilitators in Syria and Turkey US Treasury 17 May 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated three individuals and one entity in connection with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
- US Targets Islamic State Moneymen in Turkey, Syria VOA 17 May 2021 -- The United States is taking new steps to make it more difficult for the Islamic State terror group to move money, including donations from international supporters, through Syria and Turkey.
- Three Killed, Four Injured as Militants Shell Syrian Gov't Forces in Idlib, Russian Military Says Sputnik 16 May 2021 -- Three Syrian servicemen were killed and four others were injured as militants shelled government forces in the southwest of the Idlib de-escalation zone, Rear Adm. Alexander Karpov, the deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said on Sunday.
- FM Zarif voices Iran's support for Syria presidential vote in meeting with President Assad Press TV 12 May 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has voiced the Islamic Republic of Iran's support for the elections in Syria as Damascus is set to hold a presidential vote in two weeks' time.
- Russia Expands Military Facilities in Syria VOA 12 May 2021 -- Russia is expanding its navy base at the Syrian port of Tartus and planning to construct a floating dock to boost the port's ship repair facilities, according to Russian military officials.
- Israeli helicopter attacks Quneitra in southwestern Syria, one civilian injured Press TV 10 May 2021 -- The Israeli military has carried out an airstrike against a residential area in Syria's southwestern province of Quneitra, in what would be the second such attack in less than a week.
- Iran rejects â€˜fabricated' report on transferring Syria fighters to Yemen Press TV 09 May 2021 -- Iran has dismissed as "fabricated" a report published by a Turkish news agency which claimed that the Islamic Republic is transferring fighters from Syria to Yemen.
- Iran dismisses Morocco's baseless accusations at AIPAC Press TV 08 May 2021 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry has rejected baseless accusations by the Moroccan government that Iran carries out destabilizing activities in North and West Africa.
- Addressing the 'extant threat' to peace and security posed by unresolved chemical weapons issues in Syria UK FCDO 06 May 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Syria chemical weapons
- Water Drop in Euphrates River Increases Tensions Between Syrian Kurds, Turkey VOA 06 May 2021 -- A dramatic drop in water levels on the Euphrates River in recent weeks is adding to tensions between Turkey and Syrian Kurdish forces.
- Moscow: US has no right to criticize Russia's legitimate presence in Syria Press TV 06 May 2021 -- Russia has sharply dismissed America's criticism of Moscow's role in Syria, saying the United States, which maintains an illegal presence in the Arab country, is in no position to comment on the Russian presence there, which comes at the request of the legitimate government in Damascus.
- Israel stages 2nd round of airstrikes against Syria in 24 hours Press TV 06 May 2021 -- An Israeli helicopter has reportedly attacked some locations in Quneitra Province in Syria's extreme southwest, the second round of airstrikes by the regime to target the Arab country in a little over 24 hours.
- Russia Reminds US Its Presence in Syria is Illegal After Washington Charges Moscow With 'Violations' Sputnik 06 May 2021 -- Damascus and its allies have repeatedly blasted the US over their illegal occupation of Syrian territory in the country's south and northeast, and have demanded that all foreign military forces not explicitly invited into the country by the Syrian government vacate the Middle Eastern nation immediately, in accordance with international law.
- Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Actions of the Government of Syria The White House 06 May 2021
- Letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Actions of the Government of Syria The White House 06 May 2021
- Syria's air defense units repel Israeli aggression, shoot down missiles near Latakia Press TV 05 May 2021 -- The Syrian army's air defense units have intercepted and shot down a number of Israeli missiles near the country's western coastal city of Latakia, amid an upsurge in the Tel Aviv regime's acts of aggression against the Arab country.
- COVID Wave Hitting Northeastern Syria, Aid Group Reports VOA 04 May 2021 -- A new wave of COVID-19 is breaking out in war-torn northeastern Syria, according to a Doctors Without Borders/MÃ©decins Sans FrontiÃ¨res (MSF) news release.
- G-7 Nations Vow to End Syrian War, Top US Diplomat Says VOA 04 May 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Tuesday that the Group of 7 industrialized nations have vowed to end the 10-year civil war in Syria.
- F-35B jets to join the fight against Daesh from the Carrier Strike Group UK MOD 03 May 2021 -- UK F-35B fighter jets operating from HMS Queen Elizabeth will join Operation Shader in the fight against Daesh.
- RAF's 'Dambusters' squadron set to begin Iraq and Syria bombing mission Press TV 03 May 2021 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) is set to deploy its 617 squadron â€“ known as the "Dambusters" â€“ allegedly against Daesh targets in Iraq and Syria.
- Syrian President Assad to face two rivals in this month's presidential vote Press TV 03 May 2021 -- Syria's Supreme Constitutional Court has accepted three applications out of 51 for candidacy for this month's presidential election in the conflict-stricken Arab country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list