Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syria Sees Record 51 Applications From Candidates for Presidential Election, Reports Claims Sputnik 28 Apr 2021 -- The Syrian People's Council received applications from 51 candidates from the Supreme Constitutional Court for the presidential elections on May 26, state-run news agency SANA reported.
- Delivering equitable vaccine access and a sustainable solution to conflict in Syria UK FCDO 28 Apr 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- Revived peace process, lasting calm, and a new constitution needed in Syria UN News 28 Apr 2021 -- In addition to the challenges that all Syrians have faced during a 10-year conflict, women have experienced sexual and gender-based violence, early and forced marriage and trafficking, the country's UN envoy told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- Syria backs Russia's efforts to stand against West's escalatory moves, Assad says Press TV 27 Apr 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says his country supports Russian efforts to confront the escalatory steps taken by certain Western countries and the US-led NATO military alliance to provoke hostilities, especially in the eastern Ukraine region.
- China sends COVID-19 vaccine to Syria People's Daily 26 Apr 2021 -- Syria on Saturday received a batch of Chinese-manufactured COVID-19 vaccines offered by the Chinese government.
- China sends COVID-19 vaccine to Syria People's Daily 25 Apr 2021 -- Syria on Saturday received a batch of Chinese-manufactured COVID-19 vaccines offered by the Chinese government.
- Syria urges intl. pressure on Turkish forces to stop cutting off water supply to Hasakah city Press TV 25 Apr 2021 -- Damascus has called for international pressure on the Turkish occupation forces to stop cutting off access to drinking water through the Alouk water pumping station in Hasakah city and its suburbs.
- Syria receives first COVID-19 vaccines, for most vulnerable UN News 22 Apr 2021 -- More than 250,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine arrived in Syria on Thursday from the UN-backed COVAX initiative, to inoculate the country's frontline health workers.
- Over 250,000 COVID-19 Vaccine Doses Delivered to Syria VOA 22 Apr 2021 -- The Syrian government and the country's last rebel-controlled enclave received their first doses of COVID-19 vaccines Thursday.
- Syria calls on Security Council to take firm action against Israeli aggression Press TV 22 Apr 2021 -- Syria has called on the UN Security Council to take "firm and immediate" action to end Israeli acts of aggression following the regime's aerial assault on the Arab country.
- OPCW Condemns Syria's Repeated Use of Chemical Weapons US Dept. of State 22 Apr 2021 -- On April 21, 2021 in The Hague, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) Conference of the State Parties adopted a historic decision in response to the Assad regime's continued use and possession of chemical weapons in violation of its obligations under the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) and its failure to complete the measures set out in the OPCW Executive Council's July 2020 decision.
- IDF Investigating Why Its Cutting Edge Air Defences Failed to Shoot Down Rogue Syrian Missile Sputnik 22 Apr 2021 -- Israel's Defence Forces announced on Thursday that they had attacked missile batteries in Syria in response to the launch of a Syrian surface-to-air missile that landed near the Shimon Peres Negev Nuclear Research Centre â€“ suspected birthplace of Israel's first nuclear bomb. The launch took place right after a separate Israeli attack on Syria.
- IDF: Surface-to-Air Missile Launched From Syria Was Not Intercepted Sputnik 22 Apr 2021 -- Earlier, the Syrian state-run SANA media outlet reported that Syrian air defence systems repelled an Israeli rocket attack near the capital of Damascus.
- 'Syria missile' lands near Israeli military nuclear facility Dimona Press TV 22 Apr 2021 -- The Israeli military says a Syrian missile fired towards an Israeli warplane has overflown its target, landing near the occupying regime's top-secret military nuclear facility Dimona.
- Bashar al-Assad registers for Syria's presidential elections Press TV 21 Apr 2021 -- Syria's President Bashar al-Assad officially registers for participation in upcoming presidential elections, a crucible for the country's efforts to defeat its adversaries and restore calm and security.
- Assad to Run for President of Syria in 2021 Election, Parliament Speaker Says Sputnik 21 Apr 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad has put forward his candidacy for the presidential election scheduled for 26 May, Parliament Speaker Hammouda Sabbagh said on Wednesday.
- Russian airstrikes destroy terrorist base in Syria People's Daily 20 Apr 2021 -- The Russian Aerospace Forces launched airstrikes against a terrorist training base near Syria's Palmyra, killing up to 200 militants, the Russian military said Monday.
- Russian jets hit terror base near Syria's Palmyra, kill 200 terrorists Press TV 20 Apr 2021 -- Russian aircraft target a terrorist stronghold near the western Syrian city of Palmyra, killing up to 200 terrorists and afflicting considerable material damages on them.
- OPCW report into February 2018 Syria chemical weapons attack: Foreign Secretary statement UK FCDO 20 Apr 2021 -- The OPCW released its second report on 12 April 2021, investigating and identifying those responsible for chemical weapons use in Syria in February 2018.
- Russian Forces Destroyed Terrorists' Shelters Northeast of Syria's Palmyra, Up to 200 Militants Dead Sputnik 19 Apr 2021 -- Militants created a camouflaged base northeast of Syria's Palmyra, where groups were formed for terrorist attacks and explosive devices were made. Russian Aerospace Forces planes have hit these targets, Rear Adm. Alexander Karpov, deputy head of the Russian Center for Reconciliation of Warring Parties in Syria, said on Monday.
- US-Backed Syrian Forces Hand Over 34 Children of IS Fighters to Russia VOA 19 Apr 2021 -- Authorities in northeast Syria handed over 34 children of Islamic State fighters in Syria to the Russian government, Kurdish officials said Sunday.
- FM Mekdad: US, allies have turned OPCW into a tool to pursue anti-Syria objectives Press TV 16 Apr 2021 -- Syrian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Faisal Mekdad has categorically dismissed the new report by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), stating that the United States and its allies have turned the international watchdog into a tool to pursue their political goals against Damascus.
- Syria rejects 'fabricated' OPCW report on alleged 2018 gas attack in Saraqib Press TV 15 Apr 2021 -- Syria has dismissed as "false and fabricated" the results of a probe by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) into an alleged chemical attack in the northwestern city of Saraqib on February 4, 2018.
- Damascus Condemns, Denies OPCW Report on Use of Chlorine by Syrian Military on Saraqib Sputnik 14 Apr 2021 -- Damascus condemns and denies a report by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) that claimed that the Syrian military used chlorine in the town of Saraqib, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said.
- OPCW Charges Syrian Regime with Chemical Weapons Attack US Dept. of State 14 Apr 2021 -- On April 12, 2021, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) Investigation and Identification Team (IIT) released its second report attributing yet another chemical weapons attack in Syria to the Assad regime.
- Kyiv Urged To Bring Home Ukrainian Women, Children Detained In Syria RFE/RL 13 Apr 2021 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) is urging Kyiv to repatriate dozens of Ukrainian women and children it says are being held in "horrific" conditions in Syrian camps.
- 'Reasonable grounds' to believe Syrian military helicopter deployed chemical weapon: OPCW UN News 12 Apr 2021 -- A report released on Monday by the body dedicated to freeing the world of chemical weapons, concludes that there are "reasonable grounds" to believe that a Syrian military helicopter carried out a chemical attack on the town of Saraqib, in 2018.
- RAF clears Daesh stronghold in Iraq in support of an Iraqi Security Force operation UK MOD 08 Apr 2021 -- A Daesh stronghold in northern Iraq has been cleared as part of Operation Shader, the Ministry of Defence has announced today. The RAF has carried out a series of air strikes working in support of the Iraqi Security Forces ground operations. Operation Shader remains essential to dismantling Daesh's networks and reducing the terrorist group's global ambitions.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 08 Apr 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Two Turkish soldiers killed in northwest Syria as YPG militants launch attack Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- The Turkish defense ministry says two of its soldiers have been killed in Syria's northwestern province of Aleppo in an attack by US-sponsored Kurdish militants from the so-called People's Protection Units (YPG).
- Syria urges UNSC to adopt firm, immediate action against Israeli attacks Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- Syria has renewed its call for the United Nations Security Council to take a "firm and immediate" action against acts of aggression by the Tel Aviv regime, urging the world body to hold to account Israeli authorities over their support for terrorism, crimes against the Syrian and Palestinian nations as well as their backing of Takfiri terror outfits.
- Syria intercepts Israeli missiles near Damascus Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- Syria intercepts missiles fired by the Israeli regime from the Lebanese airspace towards the capital Damascus' countryside.
- Condemning the use of chemical weapons UK FCDO 07 Apr 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Syria chemical weapons
- Islamic State Kidnaps 19 People in Central Syria VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- Militants affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) terror group kidnapped at least 19 people, mostly civilians, near a town in central Syria, state media and a monitor group said.
- Weeklong Operation Loosens Islamic State Grip on Syria's al-Hol Camp VOA 03 Apr 2021 -- U.S.-backed forces in northeastern Syria are hailing significant gains following a nearly weeklong effort to clear Islamic State terror group operatives from the region's largest displaced persons camp, though they warn the danger is far from over.
- Russian Rights Groups Condemn Moscow's Role In Abuses In Syria RFE/RL 02 Apr 2021 -- Leading human rights groups in Russia have condemned the country's role in abuses in Syria, including its participation in the bombing of civilian targets.
- Terrorists Carry Out 30 Attacks on Syria's Idlib De-escalation Zone, Reconciliation Center Says Sputnik 02 Apr 2021 -- The Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group* shelled Syria's Idlib de-escalation zone 30 times over the past 24 hours, Rear Adm. Alexander Karpov, deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said at a briefing.
- Crackdown at Syria's al-Hol Camp Nets Senior Islamic State Operative VOA 02 Apr 2021 -- The crackdown on Islamic State operations at the al-Hol displaced persons camp in northeastern Syria appears to be loosening the terror group's grip on the sprawling facility.
- More Arrests Made in Ongoing Crackdown on IS at al-Hol Camp VOA 01 Apr 2021 -- U.S.-backed forces in northeastern Syria have arrested more than 70 people in their sweep of the al-Hol displaced-persons camp, which has emerged in recent months as a new hub for the Islamic State terror group.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list