Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- UN chief regrets lack of progress in work of Syria's Constitutional Committee People's Daily 31 Mar 2021 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday regretted the lack of progress in the work of Syria's Constitutional Committee.
- Defeat IS Coalition Worries About Resurgence VOA 30 Mar 2021 -- The United States and other key members of the global coalition to defeat Islamic State are voicing renewed concerns about the terror group against the backdrop of a massive campaign to root out operatives trying to turn a once-liberated area into a new stronghold.
- NATO Secretary General joins meeting of Foreign Ministers of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS NATO 30 Mar 2021 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg took part in a virtual meeting of Foreign Ministers of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS on Tuesday (30 March 2021), co-hosted by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Belgian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sophie WilmÃ¨s.
- Ending Syria's war is our collective responsibility, UN chief tells donor conference UN News 30 Mar 2021 -- Ending the war in Syria is the collective responsibility of the international community, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres reaffirmed during a major pledging event on Tuesday which raised $6.4 billion to support people affected by the conflict.
- Donors Pledge $4.4 Billion for Syria Humanitarian Response VOA 30 Mar 2021 -- The international community pledged $4.4 billion on Tuesday to assist millions of Syrian refugees and internally displaced persons this year, as the civil war entered its second decade this month with no end in sight.
- EU Pledges $650 Million at Syria Aid Conference VOA 30 Mar 2021 -- The European Union has pledged more than $650 million in humanitarian aid for Syrians during a Brussels pledging conference co-hosted by the United Nations, as aid officials warn of escalating needs inside and outside the war-torn country.
- Germany, US, UAE Pledge Over $2.5 Billion for Syrian Humanitarian Efforts Sputnik 30 Mar 2021 -- Germany announces its largest pledge in the past four years for Syria peace efforts, over $2 billion, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Tuesday.
- U.S. Announces Additional Humanitarian Assistance for the Syria Crisis Response US Dept. of State 30 Mar 2021 -- "Today at the fifth Brussels Conference on "Supporting the Future of Syria and the Region," U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield announced more than $596 million in new humanitarian assistance to respond to the Syrian crisis."
- UN humanitarian chief demands more access to Syria People's Daily 30 Mar 2021 -- UN Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Mark Lowcock on Monday asked for more access to Syria as humanitarian needs surge to an unprecedented level.
- UNICEF calls for more access to Syria, protection of children People's Daily 30 Mar 2021 -- UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) Executive Director Henrietta Fore on Monday called for more humanitarian access to Syria and for the protection of children in the war-torn country.
- Many issues concerning Syria warrant deep reflections: Chinese envoy People's Daily 30 Mar 2021 -- As 10 years of protracted conflict in Syria have brought untold suffering to the country and its people, many issues with regard to the current situation in the country warrant deep reflections, said a Chinese envoy on Monday.
- Analysts Urge Diplomatic Pressure on Russia to Allow Syria Aid Convoys VOA 30 Mar 2021 -- Analysts say the U.S. needs use its diplomatic leverage on Russia to ensure humanitarian aid continues to flow into Syria, where 90% of the population lives in poverty and is completely aid dependent. Improving the humanitarian situation there could be a major advance for U.S. policy, they say, as Washington is also the biggest single donor of assistance to the war-ravaged country.
- Two Humanitarian Routes in Syria Come Under Fire From Militants, State Media Says Sputnik 30 Mar 2021 -- Two humanitarian corridors in Syria have been blocked after militant groups shelled the routes for the safe crossing of civilians, the Syrian state-run news agency, SANA, reported on Tuesday.
- U.S. Notes 'Atrocities' Of Assad Regime, Russian Air Strikes In Pledging Aid To Syria RFE/RL 30 Mar 2021 -- The United States has announced nearly $600 million in new humanitarian assistance in response to the war in Syria, noting that it is aimed at helping people who have faced "innumerable atrocities," including air strikes carried out by the regime and its ally, Russia.
- Briefing with Acting Special Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS John Godfrey On U.S. Participation in the Upcoming D-ISIS Ministerial US Dept. of State 29 Mar 2021
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken at the UN Security Council Briefing and Consultations on the Humanitarian Situation in Syria US Dept. of State 29 Mar 2021
- US: Syrians in Dire need of Aid Must Receive it VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Monday urged the U.N. Security Council to authorize more border crossings for the delivery of humanitarian aid into Syria, where an estimated 13.4 million people require assistance.
- 'No respite' for civilians in Syria, UN officials urge international support UN News 29 Mar 2021 -- Senior United Nations officials have called on the international community to step up funding for relief programmes supporting millions of people in Syria and the region, who depend on the life-saving assistance and livelihood support after a decade of brutal conflict.
- Syria's decade of 'death, destruction, displacement, disease, dread and despair' UN News 29 Mar 2021 -- Now is not the moment to reduce humanitarian aid to Syria, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator told the Security Council on Monday, stressing that after 10 years of conflict, more support was needed to avoid further "dramatic and widespread" deterioration.
- US-Backed Syrian Forces Launch Anti-IS Campaign in al-Hol Camp VOA 29 Mar 2021 -- U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have announced a major security operation against Islamic State (IS) cells inside al-Hol camp in northeast Syria.
- Work of 3 Checkpoints in Syria Suspended From Tuesday Amid Escalation, Russian Military Says Sputnik 29 Mar 2021 -- The work of checkpoints Seraqab and Miznaz in Idlib, as well as Abu Zeidin in Aleppo, will be suspended from Tuesday amid escalation until the situation stabilizes, Rear Adm. Alexander Karpov, deputy head of the Russian Centre for the Reconciliation of Warring Parties in Syria, said on Monday
- UN Officials Urge More Aid for Syrians Crushed by Decade of War VOA 27 Mar 2021 -- Senior U.N. officials are urging international donors to increase aid for millions of Syrians crushed by a decade of conflict, and for the neighboring countries where they have found refuge. The appeal comes ahead of next week's Syrian pledging conference in Brussels.
- Syria, Russia say will intensify efforts to repatriate refugees despite US sanctions Press TV 25 Mar 2021 -- Syria and Russia say they will intensify efforts to repatriate refugees and displaced people to areas liberated from foreign-backed terrorists, despite sanctions imposed by the United States on the Arab country.
- UNICEF Alarmed by Spike in Children's Deaths in Syria's al-Hol Camp VOA 25 Mar 2021 -- United Nations officials are expressing concern over the deaths of more children in a refugee camp in northeastern Syria.
- On the Second Anniversary of ISIS's Territorial Defeat US Dept. of State 23 Mar 2021 -- Two years ago, the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS, together with our local partners, liberated all territory controlled by ISIS in Iraq and Syria, a major milestone in the effort to ensure the terrorist group's enduring defeat.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 23 Mar 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Russia Offers Turkey to Resume Operation of Checkpoints in Idlib, Aleppo Sputnik 23 Mar 2021 -- Russia has offered Turkey to resume the operation of several checkpoints in Idlib and Aleppo from March 25 due to the difficult humanitarian situation, Rear Adm. Alexander Karpov, deputy head of the Russian Center for the Reconciliation of Warring Parties in Syria, said on Tuesday.
- Syrian, Russian airstrikes inflict heavy losses on terrorists in Idlib' Press TV 22 Mar 2021 -- Russian and Syrian fighter jets have reportedly targeted positions belonging to foreign-backed Takfiri militants in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib near the Turkish border.
- Attacks on Civilians in Syria US Dept. of State 22 Mar 2021 -- The United States strongly condemns reported Assad regime artillery attacks and Russian airstrikes that killed civilians in western Aleppo and Idlib, yesterday.
- Turkish warplane bombs positions held by US-backed SDF militants in Syria's Raqqah: SOHR Press TV 21 Mar 2021 -- A so-called war monitor says a Turkish fighter jet has carried out airstrikes against an area held by US-sponsored SDF militants in Syria's northern province of Raqqah.
- Syria, Russia slam US for supporting terrorists, pledge safe return of Syrian refugees Press TV 18 Mar 2021 -- Syria and Russia say the United States has been obstructing the return of the displaced Syrians to their homeland by financing foreign-sponsored mercenaries and igniting conflict across the Arab country.
- Turkish Forces Prevent Return of Residents to 3 Villages in Northern Syria, Russian Military Says Sputnik 17 Mar 2021 -- Turkish troops have blocked three settlements in Syria's northern province of Raqqah to prevent the return of locals who left their homes due to combat, Rear Adm. Alexander Karpov, deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said on Wednesday.
- Syria's decade of conflict takes massive toll on women and girls UN News 16 Mar 2021 -- This week, Syria marks a grim anniversary: 10 years since the start of the country's grinding conflict. Today, one decade into the catastrophe, about half the country's population has been uprooted, with some 12 million people internally displaced or living as refugees.
- UN Envoy on Syria: War 'One of Darkest Chapters' in Recent History VOA 16 Mar 2021 -- The United Nations' special envoy for Syria expressed "profound regret" that the organization has not yet been able to mediate an end to the conflict that turned a decade old Monday.
- UNICEF, Aid Organizations Urge More Humanitarian Help as Decade of Conflict Takes Toll on Syrians VOA 16 Mar 2021 -- The decade milestone in the Syrian conflict has witnessed nearly half-a-million people killed, and about 12,000 children dead or injured, according to the U.N. children's agency, UNICEF. The conflict also has resulted in the largest displacement crisis since World War Two. In addition to U.N. agencies, 35 aid organizations have joined to warn of the suffering and increased, irreversible, damage if growing humanitarian needs in Syria are not met and a political solution is not found to the lingering conflict.
- Syria's Idlib De-escalation Zone Shelled 36 Times in Past Day, Russian Military Says Sputnik 16 Mar 2021 -- The Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group (banned in Russia) shelled Syria's Idlib de-escalation zone 36 times over the past 24 hours, Rear Adm. Alexander Karpov, deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said at a briefing.
- Number of Syrian Soldiers Killed, Injured in Terrorist Attack in Syria's Daraa, State Media Says Sputnik 16 Mar 2021 -- A number of Syrian soldiers were killed and injured as a result of an attack conducted by a terrorist group in the south-western province of Daraa, state news agency SANA reported on Tuesday.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK FCDO 15 Mar 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Turkey captures top Syrian Kurdish commander: Report Press TV 15 Mar 2021 -- Turkish intelligence agents have captured a senior figure from a US-backed Kurdish militant group operating in Syria.
- Russia Alarmed by Transfer of Turkish Army's Equipment in Syria's Raqqa, Military Says Sputnik 15 Mar 2021 -- Russia is alarmed by the transfer of equipment of the Turkish Armed Forces and the ongoing fortification works in the Syrian province of Raqqa, Rear Adm. Alexander Karpov, the deputy head of the Russian Center for the Reconciliation of Warring Parties in Syria, said at a briefing.
- Joint Statement by the Secretary of State of the United States of America, the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom, and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and Italy US Dept. of State 15 Mar 2021 -- The following statement was released by United States Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio, and UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on the occasion of the 10-year anniversary of the Syrian uprising:
- Syria: Grim 10-year anniversary of 'unimaginable violence and indignities' UN News 15 Mar 2021 -- As the Syrian war reaches its grim decade-long milestone, the UN envoy for the country told the Security Council on Monday that it will "go down as one of the darkest chapters in recent history" referring to the Syrian people as among "the greatest victims of this century".
- Syrian War 10 Years On: Idlib Battle 'Frozen' But Unfinished VOA 15 Mar 2021 -- On most Fridays, hundreds of protesters gather in "Seven Lakes," the main roundabout in Idlib, Syria. They dance, sing and chant "Revolution!"
- Marking the tenth anniversary of the Syrian conflict UK FCDO 15 Mar 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- New UK sanctions targeting Assad regime for repressing the Syrian people UK FCDO 15 Mar 2021 -- The UK has announced a fresh round of targeted sanctions on the Assad regime, including close allies of the Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad.
- UK sanctions Syrian leaders on 10th anniversary of failed proxy war Press TV 15 Mar 2021 -- The British government has chosen the 10th anniversary of the failed campaign to oust the Syrian government by means of foreign-sponsored armed uprisings and Takfiri terrorism, to impose sanctions on six leading Syrians.
- UK Targets Bashar Al-Assad's Close Allies With Sanctions on 10th Anniversary of Syrian Conflict Sputnik 15 Mar 2021 -- The new restrictive measures against top Syrian officials come as a decade has passed since Syria descended into a bloody civil war that grew to involve multiple regional and foreign actors.
- EU liable for Syrian people's sufferings, shedding their blood: Foreign ministry Press TV 15 Mar 2021 -- The Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has denounced the European Union's recent declaration on the decade-long conflict in the war-torn Arab country, saying the bloc is responsible for the sufferings of Syrian people as it backs sanctions which amount to economic terrorism.
- Security Services Prevent Terrorist Attack in Damascus, Syria, Source Reveals Sputnik 15 Mar 2021 -- The attempted attack comes as Monday marks 10 years since the beginning of the Syrian civil war. It also comes as the war-torn nation is expected to hold a presidential election.
- Syria foils 'large-scale' terrorist attack on Damascus: SANA Press TV 15 Mar 2021 -- Syrian government forces have foiled a 'large-scale terrorist operation' by killing at least three terrorists and arresting three others who intended to launch attacks across the capital Damascus.
- Complaint Filed In Moscow Against Vagner Mercenary Group Over Torture Of Syrian Detainee RFE/RL 15 Mar 2021 -- Three nongovernmental organizations based in France, Syria, and Russia have announced a legal case in Moscow against the Vagner Group, a Russian military contractor with indirect ties to the country's political elite, over the 2017 torture of a detainee in Syria.
- US military convoy enters northeast Syria from northern Iraq: Report Press TV 14 Mar 2021 -- The US-led military coalition has reportedly sent a new convoy of trucks carrying military and logistical equipment to northeastern Syria.
- Foreign Enablers Continue to Fuel Syria's Conflict, UN Says VOA 13 Mar 2021 -- U.N. investigators call for greater international action to end the impunity prevailing in Syria, which is hindering efforts to find a durable peace for the country's decade-long conflict. The Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria has submitted its latest report to the U.N. Human Rights Council.
- Syria, Russia say US not letting stability return to Syria Press TV 12 Mar 2021 -- Syrian and Russian officials say the United States continues to impede the restoration of stability in the country through the imposition of economic sanctions, arguing Washington is using various methods of economic and political pressure on international bodies and organizations to turn a blind eye on the repercussions of such bans.
- Syria war: Average of one child injured or killed every eight hours over past 10 years - UNICEF UN News 12 Mar 2021 -- The grim ten-year anniversary of the war in Syria has left 90 percent of the country's children in need of help, as a triple crisis of violence, economic misery and the COVID-19 pandemic has pushed families to the brink of despair, UNICEF reported on Friday.
- Joint Statement of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the State of Qatar, Republic of Turkey, and Russian Federation, Doha, 11 March 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 11 Mar 2021
- UN chief asks for continuing to reach all Syrians in need of humanitarian assistance Global Times 11 Mar 2021 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Wednesday urged the international community to continue to reach all Syrians in need of humanitarian assistance.
- Lavrov: US, Western sanctions target Syrian people, obstruct reconstruction process Press TV 11 Mar 2021 -- Russia's foreign minister says the sanctions imposed on Syria by the United States and other Western countries target all Syrian people and obstruct the reconstruction process in the war-torn country.
- Russia, Turkey, Qatar jointly making attempt to seek political resolution to Syria's conflict Press TV 11 Mar 2021 -- Russia, Turkey, and Qatar are making a joint attempt to help find a lasting, political solution to Syria's decade-long conflict, the Turkish foreign minister says.
- Russian jets bombard Daesh positions in Syria's southeastern desert: Monitoring group Press TV 11 Mar 2021 -- A UK-based war monitoring group says Russian fighter jets have carried out a new wave of airstrikes against the positions of Daesh Takfiri terrorist group deep inside a desert region in southeastern Syria.
- ICRC Survey: Young Syrians Pay Heavy Toll in Decadelong Conflict VOA 11 Mar 2021 -- Ten years of war in Syria has had a devastating impact on the Syrian people, particularly on young Syrians living inside and outside the country, according to a newly released survey by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC),
- Ten years on, Syrian crisis 'remains a living nightmare': UN Secretary-General UN News 10 Mar 2021 -- Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres has underlined the UN's determination to continue pursuing a negotiated political settlement to the Syrian civil war, a "living nightmare" that has endured for 10 years now.
- UN Chief: 10 Years Into Conflict, Syria Remains 'A Living Nightmare' VOA 10 Mar 2021 -- The U.N. secretary-general said Wednesday that the situation in war-torn Syria "remains a living nightmare" a decade after the government sought to violently suppress peaceful protests and plunged the country into civil war.
- Syrian president, 1st lady test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 10 Mar 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his wife Asma al-Assad were tested positive for COVID-19, state news agency SANA reported on Monday.
- Syrian President Assad, wife test positive for COVID-19, both in good health and stable condition Press TV 08 Mar 2021 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his wife Asma have tested positive for coronavirus, according to a statement by his office, but they are both in good health.
- 'Russian, Syrian missile strikes target militants smuggling oil to Turkey' Press TV 07 Mar 2021 -- Russian and Syrian military forces have launched a barrage of missiles at makeshift refineries in Syria's northwestern province of Aleppo, causing a massive blaze as hundreds of tankers caught fire in the area that is controlled by Turkish troops and their allied Takfiri militants.
- Ten years of war in Syria has cost more than $1.2 trillion: World Vision report Press TV 06 Mar 2021 -- A new report by a humanitarian aid group has revealed that the economic cost of the ongoing foreign-sponsored conflict in Syria after 10 years is estimated to be at over US 1.2 trillion, besides the loss of thousands of civilian lives and displacement of millions of people.
- Russia warns against using IAEA to settle scores with Syria Press TV 04 Mar 2021 -- Russia has called for not politicizing and exploiting the work of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Syria, warning against using the body to settle scores with the Damascus government.
- Pursuing the elimination of the Syrian chemical weapons programme UK FCDO 04 Mar 2021 -- Statement by Sonia Farrey, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria Chemical Weapons
- Humanitarian Crisis Worsens in Syria After Decade of War VOA 04 Mar 2021 -- Leaders of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent movement warn the suffering of millions of Syrians is deepening as the country enters a second decade of warfare, with no political solution to the crisis in view.
- Shining a light on human rights violations in Syria UK FCDO 03 Mar 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the General Assembly dialogue on Syria
- Rebuilding Efforts Continue in Syria's Former IS Stronghold VOA 03 Mar 2021 -- Nearly four years after it was liberated from the Islamic State (IS) terror group, the Syrian town of Tabqa has become a leading example of the reconstruction efforts currently underway in parts of the war-ravaged country.
- Israel attacks vicinity of Syrian capital People's Daily 01 Mar 2021 -- A fresh Israeli missile attack targeted positions in the vicinity of the Syrian capital Damascus on Sunday night, state TV reported.
- Syria urges Security Council to condemn Israeli attacks on its territory Press TV 01 Mar 2021 -- Syria has once again called on the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to condemn Israeli attacks on its territory, urging the world body to act decisively to stop the regime.
- Fate still unclear of 'tens of thousands' of civilian detainees in Syria UN News 01 Mar 2021 -- The fate of tens of thousands of civilians being held in Syria's "notorious" prisons or detention centres is still unclear, 10 years after the country's civil war began, UN investigators said on Monday.
- UN: Tens of Thousands of Syrian Detainees Have Disappeared VOA 01 Mar 2021 -- U.N. investigators say the fate of tens of thousands of people detained by all warring parties during Syria's decade-long war remains unknown and a matter of great concern. The report will be submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Council March 11.
- Jihadist Women's Demands Come at Crucial Time for France VOA 01 Mar 2021 -- A group of French women who joined the so-called Islamic State militant group and are currently detained in Syria continue a hunger strike as the French government denies their requests to be repatriated to France, along with their children.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list