Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syrian air defenses intercept Israeli missiles targeting Damascus suburb Press TV 28 Feb 2021 -- The Syrian military says the country's air defenses have intercepted Israeli missiles coming from the direction of the occupied Golan Heights.
- UNICEF urges repatriation of all children in Syria's al-Hol camp following deadly fire UN News 28 Feb 2021 -- The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) on Sunday urged all countries to repatriate and safely reintegrate their young nationals being held at Syria's largest camp for refugees and internally-displaced, following a deadly weekend fire at Al-Hol camp which saw at least three children die, and another 15 injured.
- Biden Says U.S. Air Strike In Syria A Warning To Tehran RFE/RL 27 Feb 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden says the air strike against an Iran-backed militia in eastern Syria should be seen by Tehran as a warning against any further aggressive actions.
- FM spox says Iran will stand by Syrian nation IRNA 27 Feb 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Saturday that Iran will stand by the Syrian people in reconstruction of the country and participation in Syrian economic and cultural development.
- Iran vows to continue supports for Syria in anti-terror war People's Daily 27 Feb 2021 -- Iran will keep supporting the Syrian government in the fight against terrorism, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said in a telephone conversation with the Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad on Friday.
- Syria urges UN Security Council to swiftly end US aggression after recent strike on resistance forces Press TV 27 Feb 2021 -- Syria's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has urged the United Nations Security Council to assume its responsibility and put an immediate end to US acts of aggression against the Arab country.
- Defense Official Says F-15s Struck Iranian-Backed Militia Facilities in Syria DoD News 26 Feb 2021 -- Last night's U.S. military airstrike over eastern Syria involved two F-15E Strike Eagles that dropped seven, precision-guided munitions, which totally destroyed nine facilities and partially destroyed two others, functionally destroying them, Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby said.
- Islamic State Exploiting Security Gaps to Step Up Violence, US Partners Warn VOA 26 Feb 2021 -- The Islamic State terror group appears to be exploiting security gaps across Syria and Iraq to reposition its forces and help fuel an increase in violence that is reenergizing fighters and supporters.
- Pentagon Believes Properly Notified Russia About US Strikes in Syria Sputnik 26 Feb 2021 -- The United States believes it properly notified Russia ahead of its airstrikes in Syria without compromising the security of the mission, Defense Department spokesperson John Kirby responded on Friday to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's criticism of the US short-term warning regarding the attack.
- US Informed Russia Via Deconfliction Channel About Thursday Airstrike in Syria, Pentagon Says Sputnik 26 Feb 2021 -- The United States informed Russia through the deconfliction channel about Thursday's airstrike in eastern Syria that targeted Iran-backed militia groups, Defence Department spokesperson John Kirby said in an interview on Friday.
- Three Democratic senators say Biden should brief Congress on Syria strike Press TV 26 Feb 2021 -- A number of Democratic US lawmakers have found faults with the legal justifications of President Joe Biden's administration for the airstrikes against Iraqi counter-terrorism force on the border with Syria, demanding that officials at the White House immediately brief Congress on the matter.
- U.S. strikes Iranian-backed militia targets in Syria -- Pentagon People's Daily 26 Feb 2021 -- The Pentagon confirmed on Thursday that the U.S. military had conducted airstrikes against infrastructure utilized by Iranian-backed militant groups in eastern Syria.
- US bombs Iraq's anti-terror fighters on Biden's order Press TV 26 Feb 2021 -- The US says President Joe Biden ordered military airstrikes against facilities belonging to anti-terror resistance groups on the Iraqi-Syrian border.
- Syria Strongly Slams 'Cowardly' US Airstrike, Warns Such Move Will Escalate Tensions Sputnik 26 Feb 2021 -- Syria condemns in the strongest terms the recent US airstrike on areas near the Iraqi border describing the move as a "cowardly" act, the country's Foreign Ministry said on Friday, adding that such actions will result in the escalation of tensions in the region.
- Who Are Iran-backed Militants Struck by US in Syria? VOA 26 Feb 2021 -- The U.S. military Thursday struck facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups in eastern Syria, a decision the Pentagon said President Joe Biden authorized in response to recent attacks against U.S. personnel in Iraq.
- Iran reaffirms support for Syria to defeat terrorism, restore security Press TV 26 Feb 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says Tehran will keep supporting Syria in various fields, particularly in the war against terrorism and in the efforts to ensure security and stability across the country.
- Iraq's Defence Ministry Denies Exchanging Intelligence With US Before Syria Airstrike Sputnik 26 Feb 2021 -- The Iraqi Ministry of Defence denied on Friday having provided intelligence to the United States before its airstrike in eastern Syria, as it was claimed by US Secretary of Defence Lloyd Austin.
- U.S. Bombs Iran-Backed Militias Blamed For Rocket Attacks In Iraq RFE/RL 26 Feb 2021 -- The United States has launched airstrikes in eastern Syria targeting facilities used by Iran-backed militias on the border with Iraq, the Pentagon said.
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III Briefs Reporters on Defensive Precision Strike DoD 25 Feb 2021
- U.S. Conducts Defensive Precision Strike DoD 25 Feb 2021 -- At President Biden's direction, U.S. military forces earlier this evening conducted airstrikes against infrastructure utilized by Iranian-backed militant groups in eastern Syria."
- U.S. Conducts Defensive Airstrikes Against Iranian-backed Militia in Syria DoD News 25 Feb 2021 -- American forces have struck at an Iranian-backed militia in Syria that launched rocket attacks against U.S. bases in Iraq, Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby told reporters traveling with Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin.
- Syria: Economic decline, rising hunger and surging humanitarian needs UN News 25 Feb 2021 -- Syria's fragile economy has "suffered multiple shocks" over the past 18 months, with its currency plummeting and joblessness swelling as people struggle to cover their basic needs, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator told the Security Council on Thursday.
- German Court Convicts Assad Official VOA 24 Feb 2021 -- A German court has convicted a former member of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's secret police of accessory to crimes against humanity for facilitating the torture of prisoners.
- Syrian troops open humanitarian corridor for civilians trapped in terrorist-held areas in Idlib Press TV 21 Feb 2021 -- Syrian government forces have opened a new humanitarian corridor in the northwestern province of Idlib for the safe exit of civilians fleeing violence by foreign-backed terrorists.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 18 Feb 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- 'Put Syrians firstâ€¦finally', UN rights investigators urge after deadly decade of conflict UN News 18 Feb 2021 -- Along with an end to the "instrumentalization" of humanitarian aid, victims of Syria's decade-long civil war and their families need justice to help rebuild their lives, Human Rights Council-appointed investigators said on Thursday.
- UN Report Points to Continuing War Crimes in Syria VOA 18 Feb 2021 -- A U.N. report finds nearly 10 years of warfare in Syria has been marked by what investigators describe as the most heinous violations of international humanitarian and human rights law, including genocide, with civilians bearing the brunt of past and ongoing atrocities.
- Joint Statement by the Representatives of Iran, Russia and Turkey on the International Meeting on Syria in the Astana format, Sochi, 16-17 February 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 17 Feb 2021 -- The representatives of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the Russian Federation and the Republic of Turkey as guarantors of the Astana format:
- Iranian, Russian diplomats discuss Syria peace in Sochi ISNA 17 Feb 2021 -- The Iranian delegation headed by Ali-Asghar Khaji, the Iranian foreign minister's senior assistant in special political affairs, which has travelled to the Russian city of Sochi to attend the 15th International Meeting on Syria within the Astana Format, held talks with the Russian delegation headed by Alexander Lavrentiev, the Russian president's special envoy for Syria.
- Peace guarantors stress respect for Syria sovereignty, cooperation on eradicating terror Press TV 17 Feb 2021 -- Iran, Russia, and Turkey, the states that have been serving as the guarantors of an all-Syria ceasefire, stress the importance of respect for the Arab country's sovereignty and lay emphasis on the need to fight terrorism there until its complete eradication.
- Iran, Russia, Turkey resume Syria peace talks in Sochi Press TV 17 Feb 2021 -- Iran, Russia and Turkey have launched a new round of negotiations in the Astana format between Syrian government delegates and representatives of foreign-sponsored opposition groups, months after the intra-Syrian peace talks were called off amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Claims Turkey Boosting Military Presence in Country Sputnik 17 Feb 2021 -- Syria's Assistant Foreign Minister Ayman Sousan on Wednesday at the Astana-format talks in Russia's Sochi accused Ankara of strengthening its military presence in the country.
- Food insecurity in Syria reaches record levels: WFP UN News 17 Feb 2021 -- The number of Syrians who lack access to sufficient food has reached a record 12.4 million, or nearly 60 per cent of the population, the World Food Programme (WFP) reported on Wednesday, citing "alarming" new national data.
- US-led coalition building new base in Syria's Hasakah near Iraq, Turkey borders: Report Press TV 15 Feb 2021 -- The so-called US-led military coalition is reportedly building a new base in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah near the border with Iraq and Turkey.
- Syrian air defenses thwart Israeli attack on Damascus Press TV 15 Feb 2021 -- Syria's air defenses have neutralized the latest Israeli aggression against the western outskirts of Damascus.
- US hasn't done enough to 'limit' civilian deaths in Syria, Iraq: Report Press TV 14 Feb 2021 -- A report by a US government-funded organization warns that the country should take action to "limit" the civilian death toll from its overseas operations, citing grim figures from Washington's 2014-present military operations in Iraq and Syria.
- SDF militants 'hand over' to Iraq 100 suspected Daesh terrorists captured in Syria Press TV 14 Feb 2021 -- A group of Kurdish forces in northern Syria has handed over 100 captured terrorists from Daesh to Iraqi security officials this week, a source says.
- US military brings weapons, equipment to base in Syria's al-Omar oil field: Report Press TV 14 Feb 2021 -- In a move to deepen its footprint in Syria, the US military has brought a number of trucks transporting logistic support, equipment and weapons to their base in al-Omar oil field in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, a report says.
- US Forces in Syria Reportedly Bring Convoy of Weapons, Equipment to Oil Field in Deir ez-Zor Sputnik 14 Feb 2021 -- Washington maintains its military presence in the Arab Republic despite having neither a UN Security Council mandate, nor an invitation from Damascus to do so. The previous administration of Donald Trump vowed twice to withdraw all troops, but in the end, left a small contingency to "keep the oil".
- US establishing airport within oilfield in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr province: Report Press TV 13 Feb 2021 -- The United States is establishing an airport in its military base within an oilfield in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, a report says.
- Bomb blast kills 2, wounds dozen in Syria's northern town Press TV 13 Feb 2021 -- At least two people have been killed and a dozen others wounded in a car bomb attack in Syria's northern province of Aleppo, the state media reports.
- Syrian soldiers liberate southern key town of Tafas in Dara'a province: Report Press TV 12 Feb 2021 -- Syrian government forces are now in full control of a strategic town in southwestern province of Dara'a following an intense operation against foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists.
- Pentagon claims US troops 'not guarding' oil fields in Syria Press TV 09 Feb 2021 -- A Pentagon spokesman has claimed that the American troops deployed to Syria are not protecting oil reserves in the Arab country, while admitting that an American firm is exploiting Syrian oil without authorization from Damascus.
- US Troops Not Involved in Guarding Syria's Stolen Oil, Pentagon Says Sputnik 09 Feb 2021 -- In 2019, the US redeployed troops from the Syrian-Turkish border into the war-torn country's interior, with President Donald Trump admitting freely that the forces were assigned to "take the oil." Russia estimates that the Pentagon, the CIA, contractors and Kurdish militias make over $30 million a month smuggling the stolen oil out of the country.
- Without 'constructive international diplomacy' Syria's peace process will not move forward UN News 09 Feb 2021 -- The UN Special Envoy for Syria said there had to be "constructive international diplomacy" if the peace process is to move forward in any way, appearing before the Security Council behind closed doors on Tuesday.
- 'Unknown number' of foreign nationals have died in squalid Syrian camps, say rights experts UN News 08 Feb 2021 -- "An unknown number" of foreign nationals have died while being detained in squalid camps in Syria's northeast, senior UN-appointed independent rights experts said on Monday.
- UN Experts Call for Repatriation of Women, Children in Syrian Displacement Camps VOA 08 Feb 2021 -- U.N. human rights experts are calling for the repatriation of tens of thousands of women and children held in squalid conditions in northern Syria's Al Hol and Roj refugee camps, which are run by U.S.-backed Kurdish forces.
- Killings Spike at Syrian Displacement Camps, Raising Fears of IS Resurgence VOA 08 Feb 2021 -- A surge in violence at one of the biggest displaced persons camps in northeastern Syria is sparking renewed fears that the Islamic State terror group maintains a worrisome grip on the region.
- US-Backed Forces Stepping Up Campaign Against IS in Eastern Syria VOA 08 Feb 2021 -- U.S.-backed forces have intensified their campaign against the remnants of the Islamic State (IS) terror group in eastern Syria.
- Turkish-backed militants cut power to 24 Syrian villages for more than a month: SANA Press TV 08 Feb 2021 -- Turkish-backed militants have deprived several villages in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah of electricity for more than a month, as they continue to commit various crimes against local populations.
- Damascus slam Turkey's 'dangerous' plan to open schools in Syria Press TV 08 Feb 2021 -- Damascus has strongly objected to Turkey's decision to open schools in northern Syria, calling the decision a "dangerous act" and a "flagrant violation of international law."
- Terrorists launched nearly 2 dozen attacks within 24 hours in de-escalation zone in Syria's Idlib: Russia Press TV 07 Feb 2021 -- Russian Defense Ministry says terrorist groups based in the de-escalation zone of Syria's northwestern province of Idlib and its environs have carried out nearly two dozen terror attacks in the past 24 hours against other areas in the province and neighboring provinces of Hama, Aleppo, and Latakia.
- West uses OPCW as weapon to serve its agenda against Syria: Damascus Press TV 04 Feb 2021 -- Syria's Permanent Representative to the UN Bashar al-Ja'afari has lambasted Western countries for their continued use of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and the so-called "chemical file" of the Arab country as a weapon in a war imposed on the Syrian nation.
- Urging Syria's cooperation with the UN and OPCW UK FCDO 04 Feb 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the Security Council briefing on Syria chemical weapons
- End impunity for use of chemical weapons in Syria, UN disarmament chief urges Security Council UN News 04 Feb 2021 -- The United Nations top disarmament official, on Wednesday, stressed the urgent need to not only identify those who have used chemical weapons in Syria, but also hold them accountable for their deeds.
- Syria demands Security Council take firm measures against Israeli acts of aggression Press TV 04 Feb 2021 -- Syria has once again called on the United Nations Security Council to assume its responsibilities within the framework of the UN Charter, and to adopt prompt and practical measures to stop Israeli acts of aggression against the Syrian territory.
- Syrian air defenses intercept Israeli missiles coming from occupied Golan Heights Press TV 04 Feb 2021 -- The Syrian Army's air defenses have intercepted Israeli air-to-surface and surface-to-surface missiles coming from the direction of the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, state media say.
- Report: Israeli Missiles Hit Syrian Army, Pro-Iranian Militia Positions Along Golan Heights VOA 04 Feb 2021 -- Syrian state TV showed government anti-air defense systems intercepting Israeli missiles along the Golan Heights near the town of Quneitra. Arab media reported that some of the Israeli missiles hit their intended targets.
- Lebanon army arrests 18 members of Daesh-linked cell near Syria border Press TV 01 Feb 2021 -- The Lebanese army says it has arrested 18 people linked to the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the town of Arsal on the border with Syria.
- Attacks on Civilians in Syria US Dept. of State 01 Feb 2021 -- "The United States condemns the terrorist attacks this past weekend in Azaz, al-Bab, and Afrin that resulted in the deaths of at least 20 civilians, including children."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list