Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2021 - Syria Special Weapons News
- 11 killed in car bomb explosions in Syria's Aleppo province Press TV 31 Jan 2021 -- At least eleven people were killed when two separate car explosions rocked Syria's northern Aleppo province, a London-based monitoring group reports.
- Children among dead following bomb attacks in northern Syria UN News 31 Jan 2021 -- Several people, including four children, are reported dead, with many more injured, following a weekend of deadly bomb attacks in towns in northern rural Aleppo, Syria.
- UN Warns of Dangers to 120,000 in Northern Syria VOA 31 Jan 2021 -- United Nations aid agencies warn more than 120,000 people who have fled war in northern Syria are struggling to survive weeks of torrential rains and heavy winds that have flooded and wreaked havoc on their campsites.
- Fresh Clashes Erupt Between Kurdish, Government Forces in Northeast Syria VOA 31 Jan 2021 -- New clashes were reported Sunday between Kurdish forces and militias affiliated with the Syrian government in a major city in northeastern Syria.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 30 Jan 2021 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- US Reportedly Builds New Base in Kurdish-Controlled Part of Syria Sputnik 29 Jan 2021 -- Former US President Donald Trump repeatedly promised to withdraw American troops from "endless wars", specifically the ongoing Syrian civil war, but failed to deliver on his promise. Instead, he reduced the US contingency in the Arab republic, leaving a small number of soldiers under the pretext of "keeping the oil".
- Syria floods: Humanitarians working 'round the clock' to provide urgent relief UN News 29 Jan 2021 -- Humanitarian staff have been working "round the clock" to reopen access roads and provide emergency relief from the disastrous impact that recent floods have unleased on displaced people living in camps in northwest Syria, the UN's deputy humanitarian coordinator there said on Friday.
- 'We can't continue like this': UN envoy's grim assessment of Syria peace process UN News 29 Jan 2021 -- Geir Pedersen, UN Special Envoy for Syria, lamented the slow progress of the peace process in the country, in remarks to the press on Friday, following a meeting involving members of the UN-facilitated Syrian Constitution Committee, in Geneva.
- UN-Sponsored Syrian Constitutional Talks Remain Frozen VOA 29 Jan 2021 -- A weeklong effort to move forward on drafting a new constitution for battle-scarred Syria has ended with no progress and with fading hopes of breaking the deadlock.
- Iran, Russia, Turkey reaffirm commitment to Syria sovereignty, territorial integrity Press TV 28 Jan 2021 -- Iran, Russia, and Turkey that act as the guarantors of an all-Syria ceasefire have issued a joint statement in support of the resolution of the Arab country's conflict on the sidelines of a gathering aimed at devising a new constitution for the war-weary nation.
- US establishing new military base in Hasaka: Report Press TV 28 Jan 2021 -- The US occupation forces have begun to build a new military base in al-Yaroubia area in Hasaka, Syria, deploying logistic materials and military equipment there, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA).
- Syrian troops kill Daesh terrorists attacking civilian, military buses Press TV 28 Jan 2021 -- Syrian government forces have killed at least eight militants, who were involved in attacks on civilian and military buses in a desert area of the eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, local media reports say.
- US Condemns Killing of Two Women by IS in Syria VOA 28 Jan 2021 -- The United States has condemned the killings of two local female officials who were recently kidnapped by militants affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) terror group in northeastern Syria.
- Tens of thousands in northwest Syria lose shelter after floods inundate camps UN News 27 Jan 2021 -- Heavy rains and floods in north-west Syria has worsened the plight of tens of thousands of internally displaced persons, destroying their tents, food and belongings in the midst of winter, the UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Tuesday.
- Syria: 18 children killed since the start of the year, UNICEF reports UN News 25 Jan 2021 -- The brutal fighting in Syria continues to exact a terrible toll on children, with at least 18, including a one-year-old killed in incidents involving explosive weapons and unexploded ordnance, since 1 January, UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) said on Sunday. At least 15 others were wounded.
- More than half of children in war-torn Syria deprived of education: UNICEF Press TV 24 Jan 2021 -- The UN Children's Agency says more than half of Syrian children in the war-ravaged Arab country are missing out on education, as almost a third of schools have either fallen down or been commandeered by militant factions.
- Tensions Remain After Kurdish, Government Forces Clash in Syria's Qamishli VOA 24 Jan 2021 -- Tensions remain high after violent clashes broke out between local Kurdish security forces and Syrian government troops in a strategic city in northeastern Syria.
- UN Security Concerns Rise Following Killings in Syria's Al-Hol Camp VOA 24 Jan 2021 -- U.N. officials are expressing alarm over worsening security at Northeast Syria's al-Hol refugee camp after multiple killings between January 1 and 16.
- Three killed after bomb blast hits US Hummer in Syria: SANA Press TV 23 Jan 2021 -- A powerful bomb blast has hit a US military vehicle in Syria's oil-rich eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, killing at least three people.
- UN Mediator Deplores Slow Pace of Syrian Constitutional Talks VOA 22 Jan 2021 -- Syria's warring parties are gearing up for another round of U.N.-mediated peace talks next week aimed at drafting a new constitution as a preamble to U.N.-supervised elections in Syria.
- Experts: Israel Likely to Continue Attacking Iranian Targets in Eastern Syria VOA 22 Jan 2021 -- Israel is likely to continue its air campaign against Iranian forces and allied militias in Syria, particularly in the eastern part of the country, according to some experts.
- Syrian air defense units intercept, destroy Israeli missiles over Hama Press TV 22 Jan 2021 -- Syrian air defenses have thwarted another Israeli aggression against the war-ravaged Arab country, and shot down a large number of "hostile" missiles in the skies over the western-central province of Hama.
- US military transfers hundreds of troops from Iraq to Syria's Hasakah: Report Press TV 21 Jan 2021 -- As part of Washington's attempts to wrest further control over oil reserves in Syria and plunder natural resources there, the US military has reportedly transferred hundreds of troops from Iraq to Syria's energy-rich northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Senior panel probing violations in Syria, examining new measures to safeguard humanitarians UN News 21 Jan 2021 -- The UN chief announced on Thursday that he has set up an independent Senior Advisory Panel on strengthening the mechanism whereby humanitarian workers and sites are better protected from attack in Syria, according to a statement released by his spokesperson.
- Ensuring humanitarian access and a political solution to end crises in Syria UK FCDO 20 Jan 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Jonathan Allen at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- Decade of conflict triggering 'slow tsunami' across Syria, Security Council hears UN News 20 Jan 2021 -- After a decade of conflict, economic collapse compounded by COVID-19, corruption and mismanagement, the UN Syrian envoy told the Security Council on Wednesday that "a slow tsunami" is now "crashing across Syria".
- Russia sends more troops to Syria's Hasakah after US deployment Press TV 18 Jan 2021 -- Russia's military says it is dispatching additional units of military police - about 300 servicemen - to Hasakah Province in northeastern Syria in order to reinforce joint observation posts manned by Russian and Syrian forces.
- Syrian Foreign Ministry Refutes Reports About Contacts With Israel Sputnik 18 Jan 2021 -- The Syrian Foreign Ministry on Monday denied reports about alleged contacts with Israel, reiterating its "firm" stance on "Israeli occupiers."
- Syria Shouldn't Be Turned Into Battlefield For Israel and Iran, Lavrov Says Sputnik 18 Jan 2021 -- Russia calls on Israel to report on the possible security threats from Syria, foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday, stressing that Syria should not turn into a battlefield for Iran and Israel.
- US-led military convoy enters northeastern Syria from Iraq: Report Press TV 17 Jan 2021 -- The US-led military coalition purportedly formed to fight the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has reportedly sent a new convoy of trucks carrying military and logistical equipment to Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, as Washington is seeking to maintain its grip on energy resources in Syria and loot natural reserves in the war-hit country.
- Obscure Islamist Group Targets Turkish Military in Northwest Syria VOA 17 Jan 2021 -- A small Islamist militant group has claimed responsibility for an attack on Turkish forces in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib.
- EU adds Syria's foreign minister to sanctions blacklist Press TV 15 Jan 2021 -- The European Union has added recently-appointed Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad to its sanctions blacklist, as Damascus has repeatedly said the Western restrictions come in clear disregard of international law and the UN Charter.
- EU Adds New Syrian Foreign Minister to Sanctions List Sputnik 15 Jan 2021 -- The European Union added Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad to its sanctions list, according to a decision published Friday in the official journal.
- Syria condemns new Israeli raids, urges UN action Press TV 14 Jan 2021 -- The Syrian government has condemned new Israeli airstrikes on Syrian territory, calling on the United Nations Security Council to take immediate and decisive measures to prevent the repetition of such attacks.
- US-Israeli Intelligence Reportedly Closely Coordinated 'Massive Air Strikes' on Syria Sputnik 14 Jan 2021 -- Israeli warplanes carried out a series of intense air strikes near the Syrian towns of Deir ez-Zor, Mayadeen and Boukamal along the border with Iraq on Wednesday, amid heightened tension in the region, driven by fears of retaliation for the US killing of Iran's Revolutionary Guard commander Qassem Soleimani last year in Baghdad.
- Dozens of Fighters Killed in Israeli Airstrikes Inside Syria VOA 14 Jan 2021 -- A series of airstrikes in eastern Syria this week, allegedly by Israel, killed at least 57 people, most of them fighters from Iranian-backed militias, according to international monitoring groups. The targets were reportedly Iranian weapons storehouses and fighters.
- US official reveals Israel carried out attacks on eastern Syria using American intelligence Press TV 13 Jan 2021 -- A senior US intelligence official says recent airstrikes on eastern parts of Syria near the Iraqi border were carried out by Israel with intelligence provided by the United States.
- Dozens Said Killed As Alleged Israeli Strikes Hit Iran-Backed Militias In Syria RFE/RL 13 Jan 2021 -- A Syrian war monitor says at least 40 government soldiers and allied paramilitaries have been killed in alleged Israeli air strikes apparently targeting positions and arms depots of Iran-backed forces.
- Israeli Warplanes Strike Eastern Syria VOA 13 Jan 2021 -- Israeli warplanes carried out airstrikes in eastern Syria early Wednesday.
- Syrian protesters call for withdrawal of Turkish, SDF forces from Qamishli Press TV 10 Jan 2021 -- Hundreds of people in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah have staged separate demonstrations to denounce the Turkish military deployment to their area, in addition to the presence of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and arbitrary practices of the US-backed militants.
- Drone attack hits oil refineries in militant-held northern Syrian: Reports Press TV 10 Jan 2021 -- An unidentified drone has reportedly bombed oil refineries in northern Syria, an area which is controlled by Turkish-backed armed militants, causing explosions and fire.
- Turkish forces, militants target villages in Syria's Raqqah with artillery shells Press TV 07 Jan 2021 -- Turkish military forces and allied militants have launched barrages of artillery shells at residential neighborhoods in the northern sector of Syria's province of Raqqah.
- Israeli missile attack targets military sites south of Syrian capital: report People's Daily 07 Jan 2021 -- The Syrian air defenses responded to an Israeli missile attack on south of the capital Damascus on Wednesday night, state news agency SANA reported.
- China calls for caution in dealing with Syria chemical weapon issue People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- A Chinese envoy on Tuesday called for caution in dealing with the issue of Syria's chemical weapons.
- Syrian air defenses thwart Israeli aggression: SANA Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Syria's air defenses have thwarted an Israeli missile attack on southern Damascus, shooting down most of the missiles.
- OPCW, its teams serve as tools in hands of states hostile to Syria: UN envoy Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Syria says the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and its investigation teams have become tools in the hands of countries hostile to the Damascus government, and that reports compiled by the organization lack credibility.
- Deadly car bomb attacks 'tragic reminder' of price civilians pay in Syria UN News 06 Jan 2021 -- The killing of civilians in separate car bomb attacks in northern Syria on Saturday has been condemned by top UN humanitarian officials for the country.
- Tackling chemical weapons in Syria through both OPCW and UNSC UK FCDO 05 Jan 2021 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council
- Syria: 'Identified gaps, inconsistencies' raise questions over elimination of chemical weapons UN News 05 Jan 2021 -- "Identified gaps, inconsistencies and discrepancies" that remain unresolved, have brought into question the true extent of the elimination of chemical weapons during Syria's bloody conflict, the UN disarmament chief told the Security Council in her briefing on Tuesday.
- Fighting Continues Over Flashpoint Town in Northern Syria VOA 05 Jan 2021 -- A town in northern Syria is increasingly becoming a battleground between Turkish-backed groups and U.S.-backed forces amid fears of a new large-scale Turkish offensive in the area.
- Syria foreign ministry condemns recent terror attacks on civilians in Hama, Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 04 Jan 2021 -- Syria has strongly condemned the terrorist attacks in its central province of Hama and eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr that led to the killing of a number of people and wounding of dozens more.
- Daesh attack in Syria kills several soldiers, civilians Press TV 04 Jan 2021 -- Terrorists affiliated with Daesh have ambushed several cars and a bus on Syria's Damascus-Raqqa highway in the central Syrian desert, killing nine people and injuring nearly two dozen others, according to several sources.
- Car bomb hits near Russia base in Syria's Raqqah: Monitoring group Press TV 01 Jan 2021 -- A bomb has reportedly gone off near a Russian military base in Syria's northeastern province of Raqqah.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list