Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2020 - Syria Special Weapons News
- UN special envoy hopes to resume Syrian constitutional talks in November People's Daily 28 Oct 2020 -- United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen said Tuesday that he is hoping a fourth round of Syrian constitutional talks will take place in November in Geneva, after the Syrian government and opposition negotiators failed to agree on the agenda.
- UN Syria envoy places hope in new talks, works towards lasting ceasefire UN News 27 Oct 2020 -- The UN's special envoy for war-torn Syria is hoping that a fourth round of talks on a new constitution will take place in November in Geneva, after Government and opposition negotiators failed to agree on the agenda.
- Russian airstrikes kill 78 Turkish-backed militants in Syria's Idlib: SOHR Press TV 26 Oct 2020 -- Dozens of Turkish-backed Takfiri militants have been killed in Syria's troubled northwestern province of Idlib when Turkish fighter jets carried out a string of airstrikes against the positions of terror groups operating in the area.
- Reports: Russian Air Strikes Kill Dozens In Northwestern Syria RFE/RL 26 Oct 2020 -- Suspected Russian air strikes on a camp in northwestern Syria run by Turkish-backed militia fighters have reportedly killed at least 50 people and wounded scores of others.
- Airstrike in Syria's Idlib Province Reportedly Kills Over 40 Militants Sputnik 26 Oct 2020 -- An airstrike conducted by the Russian Aerospace Forces in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib has killed more than 40 terrorists and injured at least 60 others, Syria's Al Watan newspaper reported on Monday, citing health sources in Idlib.
- Airstrike on Syrian Rebel Base Kills at Least 50 VOA 26 Oct 2020 -- War monitors say an airstrike on a rebel training camp in northwestern Syria on Monday killed more than 50 Turkish-backed fighters and wounded at least 90.
- Daesh Shells Idlib De-Escalation Zone in Syria 39 Times, Reconciliation Center Reports Sputnik 26 Oct 2020 -- Militants of the Daesh group* carried out 39 attacks on the Idlib de-escalation zone in Syria, Rear Adm. Alexander Grinkevich, deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said at a briefing.
- US-Backed Forces Target IS Remnants in Eastern Syria VOA 25 Oct 2020 -- U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) continue to carry out raids targeting militants affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) terror group in eastern Syria.
- US drone raid in NW Syria kills 17 civilians, militants Press TV 25 Oct 2020 -- US military forces have reportedly killed 17 militants and civilians in a drone strike in northwest Syria near the Turkish border, identifying the targets as leaders of an al-Qaeda-linked group.
- Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministers of the Small Group on Syria US Dept. of State 22 Oct 2020 -- Following is the text of a Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministers of the Small Group on Syria.
- US Backs Release of 'Low-Level' Islamic State Prisoners in Syria VOA 20 Oct 2020 -- An effort to reduce growing strains on overcrowded prisons in Syria, some holding thousands of captured Islamic State fighters, is being met with cautious optimism in Washington, even though it involves letting hundreds of the terror group's adherents walk free.
- Turkish forces, allied militants shell town in northeastern Syria Press TV 19 Oct 2020 -- Turkish forces and allied Takfiri militants have reportedly shelled residential areas in the countryside of Syria's northeastern province of Raqqah.
- Top US Official Traveled to Syria for Talks With Damascus on US Citizens' Release - Report Sputnik 19 Oct 2020 -- Top White House counterterrorism official Kash Patel recently went to Damascus to discuss the release of US citizens with the Syrian government, The Wall Street Journal reports, citing unnamed Trump administration officials.
- Iraq's Hashd Sha'abi fighters, govt. forces foiling Daesh infiltration bids on Syria border: Military official Press TV 17 Oct 2020 -- A high-ranking Iraqi military official says fighters from Popular Mobilization Units, better known by the Arabic word Hashd al-Sha'abi, alongside national security forces are effectively thwarting infiltration attempts of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists on the western border with Syria.
- US-backed SDF forces set free 100s of Daesh terrorists in Syria's Hasakah Press TV 16 Oct 2020 -- US-sponsored and Kurdish-led militants affiliated with the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have released hundreds of people detained on suspicion of having collaborated with the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- Syria: Humanitarians 'very concerned' for thousands still living in Al Hol camp UN News 16 Oct 2020 -- Humanitarians are "very concerned" about the plight of more than 64,000 people living in the restive Al Hol camp in northeast Syria, the UN Spokesperson told journalists on Friday.
- Are Syrian Mercenaries Helping Azerbaijan Fight For Nagorno-Karabakh? RFE/RL 15 Oct 2020 -- Despite continued reports of Syrian mercenaries fighting in Nagorno-Karabakh after weeks of fighting over the breakaway region, Baku and Ankara deny reports that Turkey has recruited militants from Syria to fight for Azerbaijan.
- Rights Group: Syrian-Russian Attacks On Rebel-Held Idlib May Amount To Crimes Against Humanity RFE/RL 15 Oct 2020 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) says the Syrian government and its Russian ally have shown "callous disregard" for the lives of millions of civilians during their military offensive to retake the last rebel-held enclave in northwestern Syria.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 14 Oct 2020 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Israel Confirms September Attacks on Syrian Military Targets Sputnik 14 Oct 2020 -- The Israeli armed forces conducted strikes on Syrian military targets back in September, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesman for Arab media, Avichay Adraee, confirmed on Wednesday.
- Displaced Syrians Heading Home From Notorious al-Hol Camp VOA 14 Oct 2020 -- The first Syrians to be released from the al-Hol displaced persons camp in the country's northeast are on their way home, raising new questions about security and their ability to integrate back into society.
- US military building new base in Syria's oil-rich Dayr al-Zawr: Report Press TV 13 Oct 2020 -- The United States has reportedly started building a new military base in Syria's oil-rich eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr as Washington moves to tighten its grip on the country's energy resources.
- US military brings 30-truck convoy into Syria's oil-rich Hasakah: SANA Press TV 11 Oct 2020 -- A US military convoy of 30 vehicles, loaded with logistic reinforcement, has arrived in Syria's oil-rich northeastern province of Hasakah, media report says.
- President Bashar Assad: No Iranian troops in Syria IRNA 08 Oct 2020 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad emphasized on Thursday that "no Iranian troops are in Syria".
- Russia's Assistance 'Turning Point' in Syrian War, Allowing to Crush Terrorists, Bashar Assad Says Sputnik 08 Oct 2020 -- The war in Syria will continue until every part of the nation's territory is liberated from terrorists, Syrian President Bashar Assad told Sputnik, recalling how Russia's involvement in the conflict at Damascus' request changed the course of events and resulted in a massive counterterrorist advance.
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency With Respect to the Situation In and In Relation to Syria The White House 08 Oct 2020
- Text of a Letter to the Speaker of the House and President of the Senate The White House 08 Oct 2020
- Assad Says Would Like to Get Inoculated Against COVID-19 With Russian Vaccine Sputnik 07 Oct 2020 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad told Sputnik he would like to get personally inoculated against the coronavirus with a Russian vaccine.
- ISIS Militants Charged With Deaths Of Americans In Syria US Dept. of Justice 07 Oct 2020 -- Two 'Beatles' charged with hostage-taking of American citizens in Syria and other terrorism offenses that resulted in the deaths of James Wright Foley, Steven Joel Sotloff, Peter Edward Kassig, and Kayla Jean Mueller
- Remarks by Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers on ISIS Militants Charged with Deaths of Americans in Syria US Dept. of Justice 07 Oct 2020
- US Indicts 2 British Members of Islamic State 'Beatles' VOA 07 Oct 2020 -- Two alleged members of Islamic State's once notorious hostage-taking cell dubbed "The Beatles" are in the United States to stand trial, U.S. officials said Wednesday.
- Two Daesh Members Known as 'the Beatles' Face Life Sentence in US for Beheading Americans in Syria Sputnik 07 Oct 2020 -- Two former British citizens were indicted on Wednesday on charges of torturing and beheading four Americans along with other individuals taken hostage by Daesh* in Syria, according to a court ruling.
- Iran helping Syria rebuild as part of 'religious duty' Press TV 07 Oct 2020 -- A deputy minister says Iran is sending building materials to Syria under its "religious duty" to rebuild the Arab country, seriously damaged by years of a foreign-orchestrated war.
- Terrorist Attack in al Bab, Syria US Dept. of State 07 Oct 2020 -- The United States strongly condemns the terrorist attack near a crowded traffic circle in al Bab yesterday, which according to initial reports killed more than 20 innocent people and injured scores more.
- 17 killed, dozens wounded in bomb attack in northwest Syria: Reports Press TV 06 Oct 2020 -- At least 17 people have been killed and dozens of others wounded in a car bomb explosion in northwest Syria, reports says.
- Iranian Deputy Minister Outlines Reconstruction Projects Funded By Tehran In Syria Radio Farda 06 Oct 2020 -- Iran's Deputy Minister of Industry, Mines, and Trade (MIMT) Hamid Zadboom called the reconstruction of countries such as Syria a "religious duty," adding that "Iranian building materials needed to renovate the war-torn country are underway."
- Syrian Victims of Chemical Weapons Attacks Look to Germany for Justice VOA 06 Oct 2020 -- Human rights lawyers have filed a complaint in Germany asking authorities to probe the alleged use of chemical weapons in Syria by government forces, which killed hundreds of civilians.
- 10-truck convoy of US military arrives in Syria's Hasakah: SANA Press TV 05 Oct 2020 -- Another US convoy consisting of vehicles laden with weapons, military equipment, and logistic materials has arrived in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah from Iraq.
- Assad: Russian military presence in Syria important to intl. order Press TV 05 Oct 2020 -- Syria says apart from helping it fight terrorism, Russia's military presence in the Arab country is important to ensuring international order.
- Islamic State Families to Be Cleared from al-Hol Camp VOA 05 Oct 2020 -- Tens of thousands of Syrians, many connected to the Islamic State terror group, could soon be free under a plan to start clearing out the overcrowded al-Hol displaced persons camp in northeast Syria.
- Turkish artillery strikes Syrian military positions in Idlib, no casualties reported Press TV 04 Oct 2020 -- A London-based war monitoring group says Turkish military units have hit the positions of Syrian government troops in the eastern part of the country's northwestern province of Idlib with no immediate report of casualties.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list