Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2020 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Russia proves strong military capability in anti-terror operations in Syria People's Daily 30 Sep 2020 -- Russia's anti-terrorist operations in Syria have demonstrated the country's high military capability, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said in an article published Wednesday.
- US Targets 3 Persons, 13 Entities in New Syria Sanctions Sputnik 30 Sep 2020 -- The United States has targeted three people and 13 entities, including the Syrian Tourism Ministry, in new round of Syria-related sanctions, the US Department of the Treasury announced in a release on Wednesday.
- Syria Sanctions Designations on the Anniversary of Assad's Attack Against the People of Armanaz, Syria US Dept. of State 30 Sep 2020 -- Three years ago yesterday, on September 29, 2017, Assad regime forces, backed by Russia, killed at least 34 Syrians in the town of Armanaz. Since then, thousands of Bashar al-Assad's bombs have been dropped on schools, hospitals, and markets across Syria. Too many lives have been lost in Assad's futile search for a military conquest over his own people.
- Treasury Continues Targeting Facilitators of Assad Regime US Treasury 30 Sep 2020 -- Today, as part of the U.S. government's continued effort to achieve a peaceful, political resolution of the Syrian conflict, the U.S. Department of the Treasury is taking action against key enablers of the Assad regime that are associated with the Fourth Division of the Syrian Arab Army, the Syrian General Intelligence Directorate, and the Central Bank of Syria.
- Russian Servicemen Killed Over 133,000 Militants in Syria, Defence Minister Says Sputnik 29 Sep 2020 -- Russian troops in Syria have killed more than 133,000 militants, including 4,500 from former Soviet republics, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu said.
- New 'COVID-19 reality' should compel some to put aside narrow interests and seek multilateral solutions, Syrian Minister says UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- As some States continue to pursue their own narrow agendas above all else, the world is straying further from the principles that underpin international norms and the work of the United Nations, the Foreign Minister of Syria told the high-level General Assembly plenary on Saturday.
- Syrian island escapes war, but caught by tough economic situation Global Times 24 Sep 2020 -- During the more than nine-year-long war in Syria, actual battles have engulfed the country except for a small island that has escaped unscathed, protected by the surrounding sea.
- The United States Announces Additional Humanitarian Assistance for the Syrian People US Dept. of State 24 Sep 2020 -- Today, at the UN General Assembly High-Level Meeting, "A Dialogue with the World's Top Ten Donors on Global Humanitarian Needs," hosted by the United States, we announced more than $720 million in additional humanitarian assistance for the people of Syria both inside Syria and across the region.
- Iran To Fund The Fortification Of Syrian Air Defense Radio Farda 23 Sep 2020 -- A senior spokesman for the General Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces says Iran plans to fortify Syria's air defense.
- Families of Missing IS Victims Beg for Answers as New Mass Graves Discovered in Northeast Syria VOA 22 Sep 2020 -- As local authorities in northeastern Syria announce the discovery of new mass graves belonging to the victims of Islamic State in Raqqa, families whose loved ones disappeared during the group's control over the region hope they might finally get some answers.
- Gasoline Shortages Bite as Ordinary Syrians Try to Recover from 9 Years of Conflict VOA 22 Sep 2020 -- Long gasoline lines have many ordinary Syrians fuming, adding a fresh layer of hardship to lives that are already fraught with suffering. Syria's oil minister blames U.S. sanctions for the fuel shortages, but some analysts point to poor infrastructure maintenance.
- 60 US trucks loaded with military equipment enter Syria‚Äôs Hasakah: SANA Press TV 21 Sep 2020 -- A US convoy of 60 trucks, loaded with military and logistic reinforcement, has arrived in Syria‚Äôs northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Turkish-backed militants rob commuters, loot properties in northern Syria: SANA Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- Turkish-backed Takfiri militants have blackmailed and forcibly snatched cash from commuters in Syria‚Äôs northeastern province of Hasakah as they continue to commit various crimes against local populations.
- US-sponsored SDF militants abduct dozens of Syrian civilians in Raqqah Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- US-sponsored militants affiliated with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have abducted dozens of civilians in Syria‚Äôs northern province of Raqqah as public outrage boils in areas controlled by them over deteriorating security conditions.
- US convoy transports stolen Syrian oil to Iraq: SANA Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- A US convoy, consisting of 30 tanker trucks laden with stolen Syrian oil, has left the war-stricken country and sneaked into neighboring Iraq, official SANA news agency says.
- US-Led Coalition Deploying Bradley Fighting Vehicles to Northeast Syria - Report Sputnik 19 Sep 2020 -- The US-led coalition plans to deploy Bradley fighting vehicles to northeast Syria to protect its troops, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR) spokesman Col. Wayne Marotto said in a press release on Friday.
- US military deploys more troops, armored vehicles to oil-rich eastern Syria Press TV 19 Sep 2020 -- The US military has sent a new convoy of military vehicles and troops to oil-rich eastern Syria amid rising tensions with Russian forces in the region, and as Washington seeks to loot crude resources in the war-torn country.
- UN warns of 'war crimes' in Turkish-occupied areas in northern Syria Press TV 19 Sep 2020 -- The United Nations has urged Turkey to launch an immediate and independent investigation into war crimes and other violations of international law committed in the northern part of Syria, which are under the control of Turkish occupation forces and allied militant groups.
- Bradleys arrive into Syria to support OIR mission CJTF OIR 18 Sep 2020 -- Bradley armored vehicles rolled into eastern Syria and will be used by service members in support of Operation Inherent Resolve‚Äôs mission of working by, with and through Partner Forces to ensure the enduring defeat of Daesh.
- Turkey dragging feet on commitments under Idlib agreement: Russia Press TV 18 Sep 2020 -- Russia has criticized Turkey for its failure to fulfill its obligations under a bilateral ceasefire agreement on Syria's northwestern Idlib province, where the two countries back opposing sides.
- UN rights chief calls for Turkey to probe violations in northern Syria UN News 18 Sep 2020 -- The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights has urged Turkey to launch an immediate independent investigation into violations and abuses committed in parts of north, northwest and northeast Syria, which are under the control of its forces and affiliated armed groups.
- 'Substantive' talks on new constitution bring hope of forging path out of Syria's near decade-long conflict UN News 18 Sep 2020 -- While deep distrust persists among warring parties in Syria, a "faint but real ray of hope" emerged with the convening in Geneva of the Constitutional Committee after a nine-month hiatus, the top UN envoy helping chart a path out of the near decade-long conflict, told the Security Council on Friday.
- Turkey, Russia Failed to Reach Common Position on Syria's Idlib – Source Sputnik 17 Sep 2020 -- According to the source, Turkey refused to leave checkpoints on the territories controlled by the Syrian army as well as reduce the number of its troops in the region and withdraw heavy weapons.
- Syria COVID spread may be much higher than figures suggest, Lowcock tells Security Council UN News 16 Sep 2020 -- Reports from inside Syria are pointing to a much broader spread of COVID-19 than the number of confirmed cases – currently 3,618 – suggests, the UN's top humanitarian official says.
- UN war crimes panel urges Turkey to rein in allied militants in N Syria Press TV 16 Sep 2020 -- A panel of United Nations war crimes investigators has called on Turkey to rein in allied militants in northern Syria, who may have committed a range of war crimes against civilians, including hostage-taking, rape and torture.
- Trump acknowledges plan to have Syria's Assad assassinated in 2017 Press TV 15 Sep 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has admitted that he intended to have Syrian President Bashar al-Assad assassinated after an alleged chemical attack in 2017 that Washington blamed on Damascus but reversed his decision due to purported opposition by the then-Secretary of Defense James Mattis.
- Syria: Bombshell report reveals 'no clean hands' as horrific rights violations continue UN News 15 Sep 2020 -- Despite a reduction in largescale hostilities since a ceasefire in March, the UN Syrian Commission of Inquiry reported on Monday that armed actors continue to subject civilians to horrific and increasingly targeted abuse.
- Targeted Abuse of Civilians on Rise by Syria's Warring Parties VOA 15 Sep 2020 -- The U.N. Commission of Inquiry on Syria said civilians increasingly are being subjected to targeted abuse by all warring parties. The commission's report, which documents violations during the first half of this year, will be submitted to the U.N. Human Council later this month.
- Alleged Israeli Airstrike Near Aleppo Reportedly Damaged Syrian Missile Production Facility Sputnik 14 Sep 2020 -- The attack was blamed on Israel by Syrian state media, but the IDF has refused to comment on the accusation. Tel Aviv is suspected of having carried out hundreds of airstrikes in Syria over the last decade, but it has officially confirmed conducting only a handful of them.
- At least 4 civilians killed, several others wounded in bomb attack in Syria's Hasakah Press TV 12 Sep 2020 -- At least four civilians have been killed and several others wounded in a bomb attack in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, the state media reports.
- Syrian air defense units intercept, destroy Israeli missiles over Aleppo Press TV 11 Sep 2020 -- Syrian air defenses have thwarted another Israeli act of aggression against the war-ravaged Arab country, and shot down a number of "hostile" missiles in the skies over the strategic northwestern province of Aleppo.
- Issues surrounding Syria's chemical weapons programme must be resolved, to restore global confidence UN News 10 Sep 2020 -- Until outstanding issues related to Syria's initial declaration of its chemical weapons stockpile and programme are resolved, the international community cannot have full confidence that its activities have ended, the UN's top disarmament expert told the Security Council on Thursday.
- Syrian Economy Continues to Struggle as Sanctions Bite, Shortages Hit VOA 08 Sep 2020 -- A day after a high profile visit to Syria by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov to discuss reviving the Syrian economy, Arab media is reporting that bakeries across the country are running out of flour for bread and fuel stations are running out of petrol.
- U.S., Turkish forces bring in military reinforcement to bases in NE Syria People's Daily 07 Sep 2020 -- The U.S. and Turkish forces on Sunday brought in new military reinforcements to their bases in the northeastern province of Hasakah, state news agency SANA reported.
- Russia trying to help Syria cope with blockade amid US sanctions: Deputy PM Press TV 07 Sep 2020 -- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Borisov says Moscow is trying to help Damascus break through an economic blockade created by Washington's new sanctions under the so-called Caesar Act, which deters any foreign companies and individuals from taking part in the reconstruction of the war-ravaged country.
- US, Turkey send more military reinforcements into bases in oil-rich northeast Syria Press TV 06 Sep 2020 -- US occupation forces have dispatched a convoy of trucks carrying military equipment to Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, Syrian media reports.
- Militants Shell Settlement in Syrian Province of Aleppo, Russian Military Says Sputnik 06 Sep 2020 -- The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group shelled a settlement in the Syrian province of Aleppo, the deputy head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation, Rear Admiral Alexander Grinkevich, said on Sunday.
- Militants Shell Settlements in Syria's Latakia, Aleppo Provinces, Russian Military Says Sputnik 05 Sep 2020 -- The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group shelled settlements in the Syrian provinces of Latakia and Aleppo, the deputy head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation, Rear Admiral Alexander Grinkevich, said on Saturday.
- Illegal US military deployment in Syria creates tensions in Middle East: Russia, Syria Press TV 04 Sep 2020 -- Russian and Syrian joint coordination committees on the repatriation of Syrian refugees have denounced the presence of US troops on the Syrian soil, stating that such an illegal military deployment stokes new tensions in the Middle East.
- Militants Shell Settlements in Syria's Idlib, Latakia, Aleppo, Russian Military Says Sputnik 04 Sep 2020 -- The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group shelled settlements in the Syrian provinces of Idlib, Latakia, and Aleppo, the deputy head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation, Rear Admiral Alexander Grinkevich, said on Friday.
- US-Led Coalition Downsizes Program That Spent $5 Bn to Equip 'Security Partners in Iraq and Syria' Sputnik 04 Sep 2020 -- The US will attempt to maintain equipment and other supplies for local fighters battling pockets of remaining fighters of the Daesh* terror group in Syria and Iraq while scaling back aid that totaled more than $5 billion since 2014, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve said in a press release on Thursday.
- Conflict in Syria requires political solution without foreign interference: Lavrov tells UN envoy Press TV 03 Sep 2020 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has stressed the need for a political solution to the conflict in Syria, saying the settlement of the conflict must be in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 2254 and without foreign interference.
- Syria thwarts fresh Israeli missile attack on T4 airbase Press TV 02 Sep 2020 -- The Syrian air defenses have foiled a fresh Israeli missile attack against the T4 airbase in central Syria.
- Syria Intercepts Israeli Strike on Central Air Base - State Media Sputnik 02 Sep 2020 -- According to Syrian state media, several missiles fired at the Tiyas T4 air base in Homs Governorate were intercepted on Wednesday.
- Militants Shell Settlement in Syria's Aleppo Province, Russian Military Says Sputnik 02 Sep 2020 -- The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group shelled a settlement in Syria's Aleppo province, the deputy head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation, Rear Admiral Alexander Grinkevich, said on Wednesday.
- Seven Iran-Backed Paramilitary Members Killed In Monday Israeli Strikes On Syria Radio Farda 01 Sep 2020 -- The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Tuesday that seven Iran-backed paramilitary fighters were killed in the Monday Israeli strikes on Syria, which also killed one civilian and three Syrian regime members.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list