Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2020 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syrian air defenses respond to Israeli airstrike Press TV 31 Aug 2020 -- The Syrian air defenses have thwarted an Israeli missile aggression against military sites in southern Damascus.
- Over 2 million Syrians risk hunger, poverty, WFP warns Press TV 31 Aug 2020 -- The United Nations food agency has warned that around 2.2 million Syrians risk hunger and poverty in the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Militants Shell 3 Villages in Syria's Aleppo, Latakia, Russian Military Says Sputnik 31 Aug 2020 -- Syrian militants from the Jabhat al-Nusra* terror group shelled three villages in the provinces of Latakia and Aleppo, the deputy head of Russia's Syria reconciliation centre said Monday.
- Turkish-backed militants steal electricity poles, transmission towers in Syria's Hasakah: SANA Press TV 31 Aug 2020 -- Turkish-backed Takfiri militants have stolen electricity poles and transmission towers in the northern sector of Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, as they continue to commit various crimes against local populations.
- Russian, Turkish Military Hold First Joint Training in Syria Sputnik 31 Aug 2020 -- The Russian military police and the Turkish armed forces have conducted the first joint training in the Syrian province of Idlib, the deputy head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation, Rear Admiral Alexander Grinkevich, said on Monday.
- Syria's Assad issues decree on forming new government Press TV 30 Aug 2020 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has issued a decree on forming the new government, days after confirming Hussein Arnous as the Arab country's prime minister.
- UAE intelligence agents training YPG militants in northern, eastern Syria: Report Press TV 30 Aug 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE)'s spy agency has reportedly been training Kurdish militants affiliated with the anti-Damascus People's Protection Units (YPG) in areas under their occupation in northern and eastern Syria over the past few years.
- Syria's Assad Confirms New Cabinet Lineup Sputnik 30 Aug 2020 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad issued a decree on Sunday that will see Hussein Arnous head a new national government, the presidency said.
- UN envoy welcomes 'commonalities' shared by Syrians in Geneva talks UN News 29 Aug 2020 -- Syrian opponents meeting in Geneva as part of efforts to find a peaceful end to nearly a decade of conflict in their country have found common ground on which to pursue further discussions, UN Special Envoy for Syria, Geir Pedersen said on Saturday.
- Syrian Talks on New Constitution End on Amicable Note VOA 29 Aug 2020 -- Weeklong negotiations in Geneva aimed at drafting a new constitution for Syria have ended with an agreement to meet for further talks at an as yet unspecified date.
- Actual cases of COVID-19 in Syria may exceed official figures: UN official People's Daily 28 Aug 2020 -- A senior UN official said Thursday that the actual cases of COVID-19 in Syria may far exceed official figures.
- Turkey uses drinking water as weapon of war against civilians in Syria's Hasakah: UN envoy Press TV 28 Aug 2020 -- Syria's Permanent Representative to the United Nations Bashar al-Jaafari says Turkey uses drinking war as a weapon of war against ordinary people in the country's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Nearly two dozen Saudi troops enter US base in northeastern Syria: Report Press TV 28 Aug 2020 -- Saudi Arabia has reportedly deployed nearly two dozen combat troops to a US-run military base in Syria's oil-rich northeastern province of Hasakah as the Riyadh regime and some of its regional allies are vying with the United States to loot the natural resources of the war-ravaged country.
- 'Widespread' COVID-19 transmission, limited testing, deepen Syria's humanitarian woes UN News 27 Aug 2020 -- COVID-19 is having a dramatic impact on health services in Syria, where limited testing is obscuring the real extent of the pandemic, the UN's Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator said on Thursday.
- Statement on Russian Forces' Breach of Deconfliction Arrangement in Syria DoD 27 Aug 2020 -- Statement attributed to: Chief Pentagon Spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman on the Russian Forces' Breach of Deconfliction Arrangement in Syria:
- Russia blames US for tense confrontation in Syria Press TV 27 Aug 2020 -- Moscow has blamed Washington for a tense confrontation in Syria after the US reported injuries among its troops in a "collision" with a Russian vehicle, saying the incident happened when the US military tried to hinder a Russian patrol there.
- Russia Claims Convoy Rammed U.S. Military In Syria In Self-Defense RFE/RL 27 Aug 2020 -- The Russian Defense Ministry claims a Russian patrol in Syria acted in self-defense when a vehicle in a military convoy rammed a coalition vehicle carrying U.S. soldiers.
- Pentagon Expects Return to Deconfliction After 'Unfortunate Encounter' With Russian Troops in Syria Sputnik 27 Aug 2020 -- On Thursday, a spokesperson for the US Department of Defense said the US expects a "return to routine" in eastern Syria following a clash with a Russian patrol that left four US service members injured.
- Russian Military Chief Holds Talks With US Gen. Milley on Recent Incident in Syria Sputnik 27 Aug 2020 -- Russian Chief of the General Staff Gen. Valery Gerasimov spoke with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Mark A. Milley about the recent incident with the US troops and Russian military police in Syria, the Russian Defence Ministry said Thursday.
- US-Russia Skirmish in Northern Syria Leads to Minor US Injuries VOA 27 Aug 2020 -- U.S. coalition and Russian military patrols narrowly avoided a serious mishap in the north of Syria Tuesday when vehicles from each side appeared to have tried to outrun each other in a wheat field in northeastern Hasakah province.
- Syrian Constitutional Talks Resume After COVID-19 Threat Fades VOA 27 Aug 2020 -- Negotiations to draft a new constitution for Syria have resumed at U.N. headquarters in Geneva. They were temporarily suspended after four members of the Constitutional Committee tested positive for COVID-19 Monday.
- UN Struggles to Meet Humanitarian Needs in Northern Syria VOA 27 Aug 2020 -- The United Nations said Thursday that it is struggling to meet massive and growing humanitarian needs in northern Syria after losing access to a vital border crossing last month, at a time when the country's economy is collapsing and COVID-19 is spreading.
- Who Are Syria's National Defense Forces? VOA 26 Aug 2020 -- The United States last week imposed sanctions against military, government and financial supporters of the Syrian regime for their role in persecuting civilians in the war-ravaged country.
- Four US Troops Injured After Alleged Altercation With Russians in Syria, Reports Say Sputnik 26 Aug 2020 -- Four US soldiers were reportedly wounded during an altercation with Russian troops in northern Syria, US media outlet Politico reported on Wednesday, citing a draft Defence Department statement and an unnamed source.
- US troops injured in interaction with Russian forces in Syria Press TV 26 Aug 2020 -- A number number of US forces in Syria were injured during an interaction with the Russian troops, Reuters reported, quoting two US officials.
- US troops injured in 'collision' with Russian forces in Syria Press TV 26 Aug 2020 -- A number of US troops have been wounded during a 'collision' with Russian forces in northeastern Syria, the first time American casualties have been reported in such an encounter, US officials say.
- Astana guarantor states censure Israeli aggression on Syrian soil Press TV 26 Aug 2020 -- Iran, Russia and Turkey – the three guarantor states of the Astana peace process – have blasted Israel's continued attacks on Syria as well as the illegal US seizure of the Syrian oil.
- Russia, Iran, Turkey Issue Joint Statement on Syria Condemning Israeli Attacks, US Theft of Oil Sputnik 26 Aug 2020 -- The statement was formulated on the sidelines of the meeting of the Syrian Constitutional Committee, a United Nations-facilitated negotiating platform aimed at reconciling the Syrian government and the opposition and establishing an enduring peace in the war-torn country.
- US supports terrorist attacks to impede Syria's reconstructionb process, Russian military says Press TV 25 Aug 2020 -- The Russian military says the United States continues to support acts of terror and sabotage by allied Takfiri terrorists operating at the al-Tanf region in southern Syria to justify its illegal military deployment in the war-torn Arab country.
- Joint Russia-Turkey Patrol Comes Under Fire in Idlib Sputnik 25 Aug 2020 -- Last week, the Russian centre for Syrian reconciliation stated that Turkish troops were hit by an unidentified explosive device while patrolling a highway in Syria's Idlib.
- COVID Infections Delay Syria Constitution Talks VOA 25 Aug 2020 -- UN sponsored talks to draft a new constitution for war-torn Syria have been suspended one day after they began, after four representatives of the 45-member constitutional committee tested positive for COVID-19.
- Syria condemns Turkish force's move to cut off drinking water in Hasakah Press TV 24 Aug 2020 -- The Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates has condemned in the strongest terms Turkish military forces' latest decision to cut off the drinking water supply in the country's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Syrian sides meet in Geneva to discuss possible new constitution Press TV 24 Aug 2020 -- Members of the Syrian Constitutional Committee have met at the United Nations Headquarters in the Swiss city of Geneva to discuss a possible new constitution aimed at paving the way for a political ultimate solution to the ongoing conflict in the war-torn Arab country.
- Syria: 'terror blast' causes temporary countrywide blackout Press TV 24 Aug 2020 -- An explosion caused by a "terrorist attack" against a major gas pipeline in Syria has caused a temporary countrywide blackout.
- Gunmen kill, wound several US-backed SDF militants across northern Syria Press TV 23 Aug 2020 -- Unidentified armed men have shot dead and wounded several US-sponsored militants affiliated with the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) across the northern sector of Syria as public outrage boils in areas held by the Takfiris amid worsening security conditions.
- Syria calls on UN to end Hasakah water supply cut by Turkish forces Press TV 22 Aug 2020 -- Syria has appealed to the United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres to intervene immediately and to utilize all available means in order to stop Turkish military forces' decision to cut off water supply for thousands of people in the Arab country's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Syrians Will Meet to Draft New Constitution After Nine-Month Break VOA 21 Aug 2020 -- Syrian government, opposition and civil society representatives will meet for the first time in nine months Monday to resume negotiations to draft a new constitution for their war-torn country.
- Clashes of Pro-Turkish Militants in Syria Result in Civilian Casualties, Russian Military Says Sputnik 21 Aug 2020 -- Numerous clashes take place between the units of pro-Turkish militants in Syria, resulting in civilian casualties, the head of the Russian centre for Syrian reconciliation, Rear Adm. Alexander Shcherbitsky, said at a daily briefing on Friday.
- Anniversary of Assad's Brutal Chemical Weapons Attack on Ghouta US Dept. of State 21 Aug 2020 -- Today marks a somber anniversary in the history of the Syrian conflict. In the early morning hours of August 21, 2013, in the Damascus suburbs of Ghouta, the Assad regime killed more than 1,400 Syrians, many of them children, with the chemical agent sarin.
- Syrian health ministry receives Iran's medical aid shipment aimed at fighting COVID-19 Press TV 20 Aug 2020 -- Iran has sent a medical aid shipment to Syria to support the Arab country's health ministry better combat the COVID-19 pandemic, Syria's state media says.
- Syria Sanctions Designations US Dept. of State 20 Aug 2020 -- Tomorrow will mark the seventh anniversary of the Assad regime's chemical weapons attack in Ghouta which killed over 1,400 Syrians.
- Treasury Sanctions Senior Syrian Government Officials US Treasury 20 Aug 2020 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury continued the U.S. government's campaign of pressure to compel the Bashar Al-Assad (Assad) regime to end its attacks against the Syrian people.
- US Sanctions Senior Syrian Officials on Eve of Anniversary of Ghouta Gas Attack VOA 20 Aug 2020 -- The United States has sanctioned six government, financial and military supporters of the Assad regime, including two senior government officials, the U.S. State and Treasury departments announced. The measures enacted Tuesday include sanctions on Syria's presidential media adviser Luna Al Shibl and senior Ba'ath party official Mohamad Amar Saati.
- US Imposes Syria-Related Sanctions on 6 People, Including Assad's Press Officer, Treasury Says Sputnik 20 Aug 2020 -- The United States has imposed new Syria-related sanctions on six individuals including President Bashar Assad's press officer Luna al-Shibli, the Treasury Department said in a statement on Thursday.
- Tribes vow to fight US-backed militants in northeastern Syria Press TV 20 Aug 2020 -- A number of Arab clans, tribes and national elites have voiced their support for popular resistance forces against US troops and their allies, accusing the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and other militant groups of stealing the country's resources.
- UN envoy Ja'afari: West subverts political process in Syria Press TV 20 Aug 2020 -- Syria's permanent representative to the United Nations says some permanent members of the Security Council are desperately attempting to undermine the political process in Syria.
- Unidentified gunmen shoot dead US-backed SDF militant in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 20 Aug 2020 -- Unidentified armed men have shot and killed a militant affiliated with the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr as security situation is deteriorating in areas controlled by the US-sponsored and Kurdish-led militants.
- Militants Shell Towns in Syria's Aleppo, Russian Military Says Sputnik 20 Aug 2020 -- Militants from the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group have attacked a settlement in the Syrian province of Aleppo, Rear Admiral Alexander Shcherbitsky, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's centre for Syrian reconciliation, said on Wednesday.
- Russian Investigative Committee Opens Case Over Death of Russian General in Syria Sputnik 19 Aug 2020 -- The Russian Investigative Committee has opened a case over the death of a Russian Armed Forces general in Syria and the injury of two more servicemen, the committee said in a statement.
- Russian major general dies, two servicemen injured in roadside blast in eastern Syria Press TV 19 Aug 2020 -- A Russian major general has lost his life and two servicemen have sustained injuries when an improvised explosive device went off near their military convoy in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Several rockets strike US military base in eastern Syria: SANA Press TV 19 Aug 2020 -- Syrian state media say a US military base located near an oilfield in the eastern part of the Arab country has come under a rocket attack.
- Militants Continue Shelling Settlements in Syria's Northern Provinces, Russian Military Says Sputnik 19 Aug 2020 -- The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group has shelled settlements in the Syrian provinces of Aleppo and Idlib, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian reconciliation said at a daily briefing on Tuesday.
- Syria constitutional reform talks, hold promise for new social contract UN News 19 Aug 2020 -- Constitutional reform talks between Syria's Government and opposition leaders next week in Geneva, offer an opportunity to reconcile differences and establish a social contract with people across the country, who are desperate for progress after more than nine years of war, the Special Envoy told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- China, Syria highlight cooperation against COVID-19 People's Daily 18 Aug 2020 -- Chinese Ambassador to Syria Feng Biao discussed medical cooperation against COVID-19 pandemic with Syrian Health Minister Nizar Yazigi in the capital Damascus on Monday.
- Three Rockets Strike Near US Base in Syria's Deir Ez-Zor Sputnik 18 Aug 2020 -- According to local authorities in Syria's Deir ez-Zor Governorate, several rockets landed near the US base set up outside the region's eponymous capital city, causing no damage or casualties.
- Militants Shell Localities in Syria's Aleppo Province, Russian Military Says Sputnik 18 Aug 2020 -- The Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group has attacked settlements in Syria's Aleppo province, Rear Admiral Alexander Shcherbitsky, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said at a briefing.
- US Patrol Returns Fire at Government Checkpoint in Northeast Syria VOA 17 Aug 2020 -- A U.S. military patrol returned fire at a checkpoint manned by pro-Syrian regime forces in northeast Syria, reportedly killing one soldier and wounding two others.
- One Syrian Officer Killed, Two Injured in US Airstrike South of Qamishli, Reports Say Sputnik 17 Aug 2020 -- Syrian state news agency SANA on Monday reported that one officer was killed and two people injured following a US strike south of Qamishli.
- US choppers attack Syrian army checkpoint in Hasakah, kill soldier Press TV 17 Aug 2020 -- The US military has carried out an airstrike in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, killing a soldier and injuring two others.
- Turkish-Russian Joint Patrol Hit By Blast In Northwest Syria RFE/RL 17 Aug 2020 -- A Turkish military vehicle was damaged by an explosion during a joint patrol with Russian troops in northwest Syria's Idlib region, but there were no casualties.
- Turkish Military Hit by Explosion During Joint Patrol With Russian Troops in Syria's Idlib Sputnik 17 Aug 2020 -- Russia and Turkey have been jointly patrolling the M4 highway in Syria, which connects the provinces of Latakia and Aleppo, since March.
- US sends truckloads of military, logistic reinforcements to Syria's oil-rich Hasaka: SANA Press TV 16 Aug 2020 -- The United States has dispatched a convoy of trucks carrying arms and logistics supplies to Syria's oil-rich Kurdish-populated province of Hasakah, a local media report says.
- 8 Children in Syria's Al-Hol Camp Die From Preventable Illnesses VOA 16 Aug 2020 -- U.N. officials are expressing dismay and alarm at the recent deaths of eight children under the age of five in al-Hol Camp, northeastern Syria, where tens of thousands of displaced from the conflict with the Islamic State Group are housed.
- Strain of Islamic State Prisoners, Families Gnaws at Key Alliances VOA 14 Aug 2020 -- The struggle to make a future for thousands of captured Islamic State fighters and their families currently in makeshift prisons and overcrowded displaced persons camps across northeastern Syria may be starting to erode key partnerships in the fight against the terror group.
- Briefing With Special Representative for Syria Engagement and Special Envoy to the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS Ambassador James Jeffrey An Update on Syria US Dept. of State 13 Aug 2020
- US brings 40 trucks loaded with military, logistic reinforcements to Syria's Hasakah: SANA Press TV 13 Aug 2020 -- A US convoy of 40 trucks, loaded with military and logistic reinforcement, has arrived in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, Syria's state media reports.
- Deaths of children in northeast Syria 'could have been averted': UNICEF UN News 13 Aug 2020 -- The UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) has expressed "deep alarm" over reports that eight children – all under the age of five – have died in Syria's Al Hol camp, where several thousand children are languishing in dire conditions.
- Centcom Chief: Enduring ISIS Defeat Requires Plans for Refugees, Local Security DoD News 12 Aug 2020 -- While ISIS no longer has the ability to hold ground, the terrorist organization isn't completely defeated. An enduring defeat, the commander of U.S. Central Command said, will require, in part, plans for refugees displaced by the Syrian civil war and for local security forces to be able to handle ISIS on their own.
- CENTCOM Chief Warns of Resurgent IS Without Repatriation from Syrian Camps VOA 12 Aug 2020 -- The top U.S. general for military operations in the Middle East is warning of a potential Islamic State resurgence should the international community not act quickly to repatriate and deradicalize former members and supporters of the terror group who are in Syrian camps.
- Assad: US needs terrorists, uses sanctions to support them Press TV 12 Aug 2020 -- Syria's President Bashar al-Assad says the US needs terrorists on the ground in the region, and levied its recent draconian sanctions against Syria as a means of throwing support behind them.
- Assassinations Highlight Security Challenges for US-Backed Forces in Eastern Syria VOA 11 Aug 2020 -- Tensions are flaring in an eastern Syria province after the assassinations of several powerful Arab tribal leaders, with U.S.-backed forces accusing Islamic State (IS) sleeper cells and Syrian government proxies of carrying out such attacks to cause instability in the former IS stronghold.
- US-backed SDF militants abduct 9 Syrian civilians in Dayr al-Zawr amid growing public anger Press TV 11 Aug 2020 -- US-sponsored and Kurdish-led militants affiliated with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have abducted several civilians in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr as public discontent grows over the presence and arbitrary practices of the militants and American military forces.
- Syria's Arab Tribes Give Pro-American Forces and SDF One Month to Leave Eastern Syria Sputnik 11 Aug 2020 -- On 11 August, sheikhs and elders of the Arab Al-Uqaydat tribe met in the Syrian Deir ez-Zor province, agreeing that the US-led coalition is responsible for murdering tribal sheikhs in the province, and demanding that the region be cleared of SDF forces, local control returned to the Syrians, and stating: "leave the Arab region to the Arabs".
- US to Withdraw Troops From MidEast Regardless of Who Wins Election, Syrian Opposition Says Sputnik 11 Aug 2020 -- The withdrawal of US troops from the Middle East will proceed regardless of the upcoming presidential election's outcome, Qadri Jamil, the leader of Syria's Popular Front for Change and Liberation opposition coalition and the head of the Syrian opposition's Moscow Platform, said on Tuesday.
- Syrian tribe declares popular war against US forces, SDF Press TV 10 Aug 2020 -- A Syrian tribe in the eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr has launched a popular resistance force against US troops and their allies, accusing the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) of stealing the country's resources.
- Military convoy of SDF militants attacked in northeastern Syria Press TV 09 Aug 2020 -- A military convoy belonging to militants affiliated with the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) has reportedly come under attack by unidentified assailants in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Israel Military Official Says Iran Behind Thwarted Attack On Syrian Border Radio Farda 08 Aug 2020 -- Israeli Defense Force (IDF) Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Aviv Kochavi, on Friday met with elite Maglan troops that Israel says thwarted an attack on the Syrian border last week "ordered by Iran".
- Russia says oil deal between US firm, SDF shows Washington's continued violation of Syria's sovereignty Press TV 08 Aug 2020 -- Russia says an agreement signed between the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and an American oil company clearly reveals Washington's persistent violation of Syria's sovereignty and international law.
- Infighting erupts among Turkish-backed militants over stolen objects in northern Syria Press TV 08 Aug 2020 -- Fierce clashes have broken out among Turkish-backed Takfiri militants in Syria's northeastern Hasakah province following dispute over the distribution of stolen objects and occupation of local people's houses.
- Militants Shell 8 Towns in Syria's Idlib, Aleppo Provinces, Russian Military Says Sputnik 08 Aug 2020 -- Syrian militants from the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist group shelled eight towns in the northwestern Idlib and Aleppo provinces, the head of Russia's Syria reconciliation centre said Saturday.
- US Military Base in Northeastern Syria Comes Under Missile Fire – Reports Sputnik 06 Aug 2020 -- An illegal US military in the northeastern Syrian province of Al-Hasakah has come under missile fire, Syrian media reported.
- Missiles hit US base in northeast Syria after report of oil 'theft' plan Press TV 06 Aug 2020 -- Multiple missiles have struck a US-occupied military base in Syria's northeast where Washington seeks to control and loot crude resources in the war-torn Arab country.
- Situation in Parts of Syria's Idlib, Deir Ez-Zor Tense, Russian Military Says Sputnik 06 Aug 2020 -- A number of settlements on the east bank of the Euphrates are under the control of Arab militia opposed to the US-backed armed formations, the head of the Russian centre for Syrian reconciliation, Rear Admiral Alexander Shcherbitsky, said at a daily briefing on Thursday.
- US Firm Secures Oil Deal with US-Backed Forces in Syria VOA 06 Aug 2020 -- A U.S. company has reportedly reached a deal with Kurdish-led authorities in northeast Syria to develop and export crude oil in areas under their control in the war-torn country.
- Israeli Raids Target Golan Heights, Eastern Syria Amid Border Tensions VOA 04 Aug 2020 -- Arab and Syrian government media report a series of Israeli airstrikes over the Golan Heights and near the Syrian border with Iraq. More than a dozen pro-Iranian Iraqi militiamen reportedly were killed at a base near the Syrian border town of Alboukamel. Russian planes also reportedly raided areas around the opposition held enclave of Idlib.
- Iran: Oil deal between US firm, SDF militias lacks legal validity Press TV 04 Aug 2020 -- Iran has condemned an oil agreement signed between the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) militant group and an American company as "a violation of Syrian sovereignty," saying such a deal has "no legal validity."
- 'Heed the calls' for ceasefire in north-western Syria – UN UN News 04 Aug 2020 -- The United Nations expressed concern on Tuesday for the safety and protection of more than four million civilians in north-western Syria, which has been hit with aerial bombardments over the past few days.
- Syrian air defenses respond to fresh Israeli aggression Press TV 03 Aug 2020 -- The Syrian air defenses have responded to the Israeli military's Monday night aggression against the Arab country's army positions, state media reports.
- Syrian Air Force jets destroy major militant weapons cache in northern Idlib Press TV 03 Aug 2020 -- Syrian Air Force fighter jets have reportedly targeted and completely destroyed a major cache containing various types of munitions belonging to foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists during an operation in the country's northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syrian Air Defenses Intercept 'Hostile' Targets Over Damascus, IDF Confirms Multiple Strikes Sputnik 03 Aug 2020 -- Syrian air defenses intercepted "hostile" targets late Monday over the capital city of Damascus following airstrikes by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), according to state media reports from the Syrian Arab News Agency.
- Syrian Army Repels Militants' Attack in Idlib, Suffers Losses - Russian Military Sputnik 03 Aug 2020 -- Militants tried to break through the positions of the Syrian army in the area of the village of Hamrat in Idlib de-escalation zone, the head of the Russian centre for Syrian reconciliation, Rear Adm. Alexander Shcherbitsky, said at a daily briefing on Monday.
- Turkey says oil deal between SDF, US firm amounts to 'financing of terrorism' Press TV 03 Aug 2020 -- Turkey has denounced a deal recently signed between the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and an American company aimed at stealing oil in northeastern Syria, describing it as equivalent to 'financing of terrorism'.
- Damascus condemns "void agreement" between US company, SDF militants for stealing Syria oil Press TV 02 Aug 2020 -- Syria has strongly condemned an agreement signed between the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) militant group and an American oil company aimed at stealing the country's oil, stressing that Damascus considers the contract null and void with no legal effect.
- Syria Views US-Kurdish Oil Deal as 'Theft' Lacking Any Legal Force Sputnik 02 Aug 2020 -- Syria considers an oil deal recently struck between an alliance of Kurdish militias and a US company to be null and void, a Foreign Ministry official told SANA on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list