Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2020 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Israeli choppers launch rocket attacks against southern Syria: Reports Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- Israeli military helicopters have fired rockets at several positions in southern Syria, including Quneitra region, media reports say.
- Israeli Helicopters Carry Out Attacks in Southern Syria - Syrian Media Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- The attack comes just days after Syrian media reported what it described as "Israeli aggression from Lebanese airspace", in which at least three civilians were killed.
- US-Led Coalition Conducts 28 Strikes in Iraq, Syria in March Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- The US-Led coalition has carried out 28 airstrikes against Daesh in March, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve (CJTF-OIR) said in a release on Thursday.
- China actively cooperating with Syria to combat COVID-19: envoy Global Times 30 Apr 2020 -- A Chinese envoy said Wednesday that China is actively cooperating with Syria to combat COVID-19, calling on other countries to do the same.
- Economic sanctions on Syria halt combat against COVID-19: UN envoy Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- Syria's UN ambassador has warned that unilateral and coercive economic sanctions by some countries as part of their "terrorist war" against the Arab country are preventing Syrians from obtaining even their basic needs and hindering efforts by Damascus to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Turkey deployed US-made HAWK missiles to Idlib: Syria's UN envoy Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- Syria's UN ambassador has once again denounced Turkey for defying Damascus and intensifying its "illegitimate" military presence in the Arab country, saying Ankara's forces have deployed US-made missiles to Syria's militant-held Idlib Province in a flagrant violation of international law.
- Turkey, Russia conduct 6th joint patrol in Idlib of Syria Global Times 29 Apr 2020 -- Turkish and Russian troops on Tuesday held their sixth joint patrol along key M-4 highway in northwestern Idlib province of Syria, Turkish Defense Ministry said.
- Syria: As coronavirus threat intensifies, ceasefire more urgent than ever UN News 29 Apr 2020 -- Syria desperately needs a nationwide ceasefire to enable its war-weary citizens to access the equipment and resources necessary to combat COVID-19, the UN's top envoy for the country told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- Syrian Market Blast Kills at Least 40 VOA 29 Apr 2020 -- The Turkish Defense Ministry and rescue workers on the scene say a bomb attached to a fuel tanker truck exploded Tuesday in a market in the northern Syrian town of Afrin, killing at least 40 people.
- Terrorist Attack in Afrin, Syria US Dept. of State 28 Apr 2020
- US dispatches new reinforcements to Syria's Hasakah: SANA Press TV 28 Apr 2020 -- The United States has reportedly deployed new military reinforcements to Syria's oil-rich northeastern province of Hasakah, irrespective of the Damascus government's vehement opposition to the presence of American troops on the Arab state's soil.
- Fuel truck bomb kills 40 in Turkish-controlled northwestern Syria city Press TV 28 Apr 2020 -- More than three dozen people have lost their lives when a powerful fuel truck bomb explosion rocked a northwestern Syrian city seized by Turkish military forces and their allied militants in the aftermath of a cross-border ground offensive against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militants more than two years ago.
- 40 Civilians Killed in Bomb Attack in Syria's Afrin, Turkish Defence Ministry States Sputnik 28 Apr 2020 -- Ambulances and fire brigades are working on the scene of the explosion, local media reported.
- IS Militants Stepping Up Attacks in Syria's Desert VOA 28 Apr 2020 -- Militants linked to the Islamic State (IS) terror group have increased their attacks in recent weeks against military forces and civilians in the desert region of Syria.
- Iran Shipping Large Quantity Of Crude Oil To Syria Radio Farda 28 Apr 2020 -- Tanker tracking sources say Iran's oil exports to Syria have increased substantially in recent weeks and currently several cargoes have reached the Baniyas port in Syria.
- Two US troops go missing in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr after gunmen attack their vehicle: SANA Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- At least two US soldiers have gone missing after a group of unknown gunmen attacked their vehicle in Syria's northeastern province of Dauyr al-Zawr, amid a growing antipathy against the presence of American forces in the area.
- OPCW report on Syria chemical attacks one-sided, biased: Iran Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry has denounced as "one-sided" a recent report by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) about a series of suspected gas attacks in Syria's western region of Hama in 2017.
- Turkish forces gun down two protesters in northwest Syria Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- Turkish forces have reportedly opened live fire on people protesting their patrolling of a key highway in northwestern Syria, killing two people and wounding three more.
- Syria air defenses down Israeli missiles over Damascus Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- Syrian air defenses have thwarted an Israeli aggression, and shot down a number of "hostile" missiles in the skies over the capital, Damascus, before reaching their targets.
- COVID: Syrian Facilities Holding IS Prisoners Receive Needed Supplies VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- U.S.-led coalition forces delivered much-needed medical and sanitation supplies to detention facilities in Syria holding 10,000 Islamic State prisoners, the coalition said Sunday.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in Northern Syria 'Highly Likely' Bigger Than Reported - MSF Sputnik 25 Apr 2020 -- The international medical NGO, Doctors Without Borders (MSF), believes that it is "highly likely" that the real number of COVID-19 cases in northern Syria is bigger than officially reported, since there is a lack of testing capacities in the region, MSF emergency manager for Syria, Will Turner, said.
- Nearly 10,000 Syria militants recruited by Turkey so far to fight in Libya; over 220 killed in action: SOHR Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has recruited nearly 10,000 allied Takfiri militants to fight in Libya and has sent more than half of them from Syria to the North African country, a war monitor says.
- Turkey brings additional military reinforcement to Syria's Hasakah: SANA Press TV 23 Apr 2020 -- The Turkish army has brought additional military reinforcements to Syria's easternmost Hasakah province as part of Ankara's unauthorized cross-border offensive into the Arab country, says a report by Syria's official news agency.
- Syria reports 3 new COVID-19 cases, 42 in total Global Times 22 Apr 2020 -- Three new COVID-19 infections were recorded in Syria on Tuesday, the Syrian health ministry said in a statement.
- FMs of Iran, Russia, Turkey stress consultations within Astana process as best solution to Syria crisis Press TV 22 Apr 2020 -- The Iranian, Turkish and Russian foreign ministers have emphasized the need to continue consultations and coordination among the three guarantors of the Astana process as the most effective format for the settlement of the crisis in Syria.
- Syria seizes US-made missiles, ammunition in terrorist redoubts Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- Syrian government forces have seized United States-made weapons and ammunition, left behind by terrorists, in Syria's southwestern Dara'a and Sweida provinces.
- Pro-Iranian Fighters Reported Killed In Israeli Attack In Syria RFE/RL 21 Apr 2020 -- Nine pro-Iranian militiamen were killed when Israeli planes fired several missiles in central Syria, according to a group monitoring the Syrian conflict.
- Syrian air defenses intercept Israeli missiles over Palmyra: SANA Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- The Syrian air defenses have intercepted a number of Israeli missiles over the ancient city of Palmyra in the central province of Homs.
- Iran, Syria Criticize U.S. For Keeping Sanctions During Coronavirus Pandemic RFE/RL 20 Apr 2020 -- Iran's foreign minister has held talks with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad as both countries grapple with the coronavirus outbreak.
- Russian fighter jet shadows US reconnaissance aircraft off Syrian coast Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- A Russian fighter jet has intercepted a US Navy surveillance aircraft flying over the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Syria, after the latter sought to break through Russia's air defense.
- Unidentified assailants attack US military vehicle in Syria's Hasakah: Report Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- Unidentified armed men have attacked a military vehicle of the US forces in Syria's easternmost province of Hasakah, a report by Syria's official news agency says.
- Unidentified Forces Attack, Destroy US Hummer in Northeast Syria – Reports Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- US occupation forces, Syrian troops and local residents have been engaged in a tense standoff in the country's northeast for several months now, with locals attempting to block US convoys zipping along local highways to fulfill President Trump's orders to "keep" the region's oil resources.
- US sends huge convoy of logistics supplies for Syria militants Press TV 19 Apr 2020 -- US forces have reportedly dispatched a convoy carrying logistics supplies from Iraq to Syria's Kurdish-populated city of Qamishli in the northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Trial by Fire and Sand: Russian Armata Battle Tank Gets Tested in Syria Sputnik 19 Apr 2020 -- As Russia's minister of trade and industry explained, the T-14 Armata main battle tank has no analogues in the world, and is constantly undergoing a cycle of additional tests and upgrades.
- Northeast Syria Reports First Confirmed Coronavirus Death, Braces for Outbreak VOA 18 Apr 2020 -- Authorities in northeastern Syria have confirmed the region's first death from the coronavirus, renewing fears the pandemic is about to make a devastating run through the war-torn region.
- US-backed militants escape al-Tanf base, defect to Syrian army Press TV 18 Apr 2020 -- Members of the last remaining US-backed militant group in Syria have fled an occupied American military base to government-held territory, defecting to the Damascus army that is on the verge of winning the war against Takfiri terrorists.
- 34 US-Backed Militants Surrender, Hand Weapons to Syrian Army – Reports Sputnik 18 Apr 2020 -- Earlier, the Russian Defence Ministry's Centre for Syrian Reconciliation confirmed that over two dozen militants trained at a US military base in Syria had surrendered to the Syrian Army after breaking out of the US-controlled At-Tanf area and engaging in a shootout with other militia members.
- Russia sends 1st medical aid shipment to Syria to help it combat COVID-19: Ministry Press TV 17 Apr 2020 -- Syria says it has received the first shipment of medical aid from Russia to help Damascus curb the current COVID-19 pandemic in the Arab country.
- Syrian villagers force US military convoy to return to base Press TV 17 Apr 2020 -- Local people in Syrian village of Abu Qasaib in northeastern province of Hasakah stopped a US military convoy on Thursday, forcing the US troops to return to their occupied base.
- China donates COVID-19 test kits to Syria Global Times 16 Apr 2020 -- China on Wednesday donated 2,016 COVID-19 test kits to the Syria to help its fight against the novel coronavirus.
- Statement by the Political Directors of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS Small Group US Dept. of State 16 Apr 2020
- OPCW's Syria report 'lacks due diligence', prepared with 'malicious' intent: Russia Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- Russia says a recent report by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) on a series of toxic attacks in western Syria is a repetition of "baseless" accusations earlier levelled by certain states, and has been prepared with "malicious" intent.
- Coronavirus Raises Tensions Between Syrian Government, Kurds VOA 15 Apr 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic has increased tensions between the Syrian government and Kurdish groups in the war-torn country.
- Secretary General of Arab League Warns about Humanitarian Crisis in Syrian Refugees Camps SPA 15 Apr 2020 -- Secretary General of the Arab League Ahmad Abu Al-Ghait warned today about humanitarian crisis in the camps of the Syrian refugees due to the possibility of the spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Syria Faces Critical Shortage of Artificial Lung Ventilators Amid Pandemic - Military Sputnik 15 Apr 2020 -- Syria is facing a critical shortage of artificial lung ventilators amid the coronavirus pandemic, and Western sanctions are hindering the delivery of medical equipment, the heads of the joint Russia-Syria coordination centre on refugee repatriation said in a joint statement on Wednesday.
- Turkish-backed Takfiri militants torch homes in northeastern Syria: SANA Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- Turkish-backed Takfiri militants have reportedly burned a number of residential buildings in the countryside of Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Russia, Turkey Hold 4th Joint Patrol of M4 Highway in Idlib - Russian Military Sputnik 15 Apr 2020 -- Russia and Turkey held the fourth joint patrol of the M4 highway in the Syrian province of Idlib, the Russian military said Wednesday.
- Syria coronavirus threat sparks broad UN containment effort UN News 14 Apr 2020 -- The United Nations and its partners are doing their utmost to support a comprehensive, multi-pronged effort to stem the impact of COVID-19 in Syria, where the viral disease has claimed the lives of two people, sickened 23 others and presented epic challenges for ensuring the smooth delivery of life-saving assistance.
- Turkey dispatches another military convoy to Syria's Idlib: Group Press TV 14 Apr 2020 -- A monitoring group says Turkey has dispatched a new military convoy to Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, despite a recent ceasefire deal that Ankara has signed with Moscow to halt the escalation of violence there.
- Militants Attack Settlement in Syria's Idlib - Russian Military Sputnik 13 Apr 2020 -- Militants of the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham* terrorist organization have attacked the Miznaz settlement in the Syrian province of Idlib, Oleg Zhuravlev, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's centre for the Syrian reconciliation, said during a briefing on Monday.
- US military brings in 35 trucks to oil-rich northeastern Syria: SANA Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- The United States has dispatched truckloads of military and logistical equipment to Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah as Washington and some of its regional allies keep vying with one another to seize oil reserves and plunder natural resources in the war-battered country, Syrian media say.
- Turkey dispatches some 300 allied Takfiri militants from Syria to Libya: SOHR Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has reportedly sent new batches of allied Takfiri militants from Syria to Libya, following a bill passed by the parliament earlier this year that allows the Ankara government to deploy forces to the North African country to intervene in the civil war.
- Syrian army repels Daesh offensive to overrun town in Homs Press TV 10 Apr 2020 -- Syrian forces have thwarted a major attack by Daesh terrorists against the central province of Homs, killing some 22 of the terrorists in fierce clashes.
- Comment by the Information and Press Department on the Release of the first report by the OPCW Investigation and Identification Team ("Syrian Chemical Dossier") Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 09 Apr 2020-- Established by the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) as a result of targeted political and legal manipulations by Western countries, the "attributive" Investigation and Identification Team (IIT) released, on April 8, the findings of its first, pilot report on the three alleged chemical incidents in the Syrian village of Ltamenah on March 24, 25 and 30, 2017.
- Turkey sends another convoy of military vehicles into Syria's Idlib Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- A Britain-based war monitor says Turkey has dispatched another military convoy to Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, as Ankara beefs up its military presence in the embattled region following a ceasefire reached earlier this month with Moscow to halt an escalation of violence there.
- Syria asks Russia for help to combat COVID-19 Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- Syria has officially asked for Russia's assistance to combat the spread of the COVID-19 disease in the Arab country, which is under rounds of crippling economic sanctions imposed by the United States.
- Syria rejects OPCW report on chemical attacks as misleading, fabricated Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- Syria has roundly dismissed a recent report by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) about a series of toxic attacks in the country's western Hama region as misleading, and based on fabricated information provided by Takfiri terrorists and the so-called civil defense group, White Helmets.
- OPCW report on Syria chemical attack unreliable: Russia Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- Russia has censured as "untrustworthy" a recent report by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) – tasked with probing a series of suspected "chemical attacks" on a Syrian town in 2017, saying the watchdog has violated the basic principle of its work by conducting a remote investigation without visiting the sites.
- Watchdog Blames Syria For Chemical-Weapons Attacks RFE/RL 09 Apr 2020 -- The global chemical-weapons watchdog has for the first time directly blamed the Syrian government for three chlorine and sarin nerve-gas bomb attacks in late March 2017 on the central town of Lataminah.
- Briefing With Senior State Department Officials On the Release of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) Report on Syria US Dept. of State 08 Apr 2020
- Syrian air force used deadly chemical weapons in 2017 attacks, UN watchdog finds UN News 08 Apr 2020 -- The Syrian air force used deadly chemical weapons in three separate attacks in March 2017 on the central town of Ltamenah that affected a total of at least 106 people, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said in a report on Wednesday.
- OPCW Investigators Say Syrian Air Force Responsible for March 2017 Attacks on Ltamenah Sputnik 08 Apr 2020 -- The OPCW's newly-formed body in charge of identifying the perpetrators of chemical attacks said in its first report on Wednesday that the Syrian Arab Air Force's aircraft had dropped bombs containing sarin and chlorine on the town of Ltamenah in Hama province in March 2017.
- Report of the OPCW Investigation and Identification Team Regarding Incidents in Ltamenah, the Syrian Arab Republic on 24, 25, and 30 March 2017 US Dept. of State 08 Apr 2020 -- On April 8, 2020, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) released a report attributing 3 instances of chemical weapons use to the Assad regime.
- Turkish forces, allied militants shell villages in Syria's Hasakah: Report Press TV 07 Apr 2020 -- Turkish army forces and militants allied to Ankara have attacked several villages in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, a report says.
- Syrian troops, residents block another US convoy in Hasakah, force it to retreat Press TV 07 Apr 2020 -- Another US military convoy has been forced to retreat from an area in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah after local residents, in coordination with government forces, prevented the foreign forces from passing through the community.
- US officer killed in ambush in eastern Syria Press TV 07 Apr 2020 -- A US officer has been killed in an ambush in the eastern Syrian province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- UN Probe Blames Syria, Allies For Civilian Attacks, Avoids Blaming Russia RFE/RL 07 Apr 2020 -- A United Nations investigation has concluded the Syrian government or its allies was likely responsible for attacks on a school, a hospital, and two other civilian facilities, but the probe avoided specifically blaming Syria's main military sponsor, Russia, drawing rebukes from rights activists.
- Calls Grow for Release of Political Prisoners in Syria Amid Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- The rapid spread of the coronavirus has raised concerns among United Nations officials and rights groups about the fate of political prisoners in war-ravaged Syria.
- Rights Groups Concerned for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon amid Coronavirus Pandemic VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Advocacy groups say Lebanon has put into place restrictions that discriminate against Syrian refugees as it battles the coronavirus. Human rights groups say the restrictions do not apply to Lebanese citizens and could both undermine the country's public health response and endanger the refugees' health.
- Turkish Defence Ministry to Minimise Troop Movements in Syria Amid COVID-19 Pandemic Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- The Turkish Defen?e Ministry has ordered to minimise the movement of its military in Syria due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- US military dispatches 35 trucks to oil-rich northeastern Syria: SANA Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- Syrian media say the United States has dispatched truckloads of military and logistical equipment to the country's northeastern province of Hasakah as Washington and some of its regional allies keep vying with one another to seize oil reserves and plunder natural resources in the war-battered country.
- Terrorists in Syria demonstrate against Ankara, demand salaries Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- Turkish-backed terrorists positioned in northeastern Syria have staged a protest denouncing their treatment by Turkey and demanding their salaries to be paid.
- Syria: Warring parties failed to abide by international law over hospital attacks UN News 06 Apr 2020 -- Parties to Syria's brutal civil war, now in its tenth year, failed to abide by their obligations under international law to avoid attacks on hospitals and other civilian facilities that featured on the UN's so-called deconfliction list, Secretary-General António Guterres said on Monday.
- US-led coalition airdrops military equipment to Syria's biggest oil field: Report Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- The so-called US-led military coalition purportedly formed to fight the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has reportedly airdropped military and logistical equipment to oil-rich areas it has occupied in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, as Washington and some of its regional allies vie to seize oil reserves and plunder natural resources in the war-battered country.
- US Moves to Bolster Prisons Holding Captured Islamic State Fighters VOA 04 Apr 2020 -- Help is on the way to the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces, less than a week after a riot at a Syrian prison holding thousands of captured Islamic State fighters allowed some to briefly escape.
- Turkey sends another military convoy to de-escalation zone in Syria's Idlib Press TV 03 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has dispatched new reinforcements to Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, as Ankara beefs up its military presence in the embattled region following a ceasefire reached earlier this month with Moscow to halt an escalation of violence there, says the so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).
- Turkish forces, militants shell Syria's Hasakah; two civilians killed Press TV 02 Apr 2020 -- At least two people have lost their lives and several others sustained injuries when Turkish military forces and allied militants launched barrages of mortar shells at residential neighborhoods in the western sector of Syria's northeastern province of al-Hasakah.
- Syrian UN envoy calls for removing of all US economic sanctions amid COVID-19 pandemic Press TV 02 Apr 2020 -- Syria's Ambassador to the UN Bashar al-Ja'afari has reiterated a call by his country for immediate and unconditional lifting of all US economic sanctions, a few days after the coronavirus killed the first patient in the Arab country.
- Trials of IS Fighters in Syria Suspended Indefinitely VOA 02 Apr 2020 -- "It's like we are holding a ticking bomb in our hands," a guard in a prison in northeastern Syria told us in February. The facility holds roughly 5,000 accused Islamic State militants from all over the world.
- Syrian air defenses intercept Israeli missiles over Homs: SANA Press TV 01 Apr 2020 -- The Syrian army says the country's air defenses in the central province of Homs have intercepted a number of missiles fired by Israeli warplanes.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list