Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2020 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Russia says agreed with Turkey to reduce tensions in Syria's Idlib Press TV 29 Feb 2020 -- Russia says it has agreed with Turkey to ease tensions in Syria's embattled Idlib province, the last major terrorist stronghold in the war-torn country.
- Syria: Turkey using observation posts to back terrorists Press TV 29 Feb 2020 -- Syria's ambassador to the United Nations tells an emergency UN Security Council meeting that Turkey uses the observation posts it has set up in the Arab country's northwest to level support for terrorists.
- Putin, Erdogan Look To Ease Soaring Tensions After Deadly Syrian Air Strike RFE/RL 29 Feb 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have held crisis talks amid rising tensions after 33 Turkish soldiers died in an air strike by Moscow-backed Syrian government warplanes.
- Syrian Government Claims to Capture More Ground in Idlib VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- As tensions continue to simmer between Turkey and Russia in the north of Syria, Ankara says another Turkish soldier was killed in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 34 in the last several days.
- Statement by the Secretary General after Article 4 consultations NATO 28 Feb 2020
- Press point by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg following the North Atlantic Council meeting at Turkey's request for Article 4 consultations on the situation in Syria NATO 28 Feb 2020
- Greece tightens border control after Turkey opens gates Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- Greece has tightened control on the border with Turkey following a decision by Ankara to stop preventing the flow of refugees into Europe and amid fears of a new coronavirus spread.
- Syrian state media: Turkish-backed militants hit hard in Idlib Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- Syrian forces have dealt stinging blows to Turkish-backed Takfiri militants in the southern environs of the northwestern province of Idlib as tensions in the conflict between Ankara and Damascus have soared to a dramatic level after dozens of Turkish troops were killed in air raids in the region.
- Russia says Turkish troops killed among terrorists, warns against op Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- A senior Russian lawmaker has warned that a full-scale Turkish operation in Syria will end badly for Ankara after Russia's Defense Ministry said Turkish soldiers killed in Syria were targeted after being deployed alongside terrorists.
- In Call With Erdogan, Trump 'Reaffirms' Support For Turkey In Syria's Idlib RFE/RL 28 Feb 2020 -- President Donald Trump has "reaffirmed" U.S. support for Turkey in a phone call with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan while urging President Bashar al-Assad's regime, Russia, and Iran to halt their offensive in Syria's northwestern Idlib Province -- the last rebel-held area in northwestern Syria -- the White House said on February 28.
- Turkey Retaliates Against Syrian Forces After 33 Of Its Soldiers Killed In Air Strikes RFE/RL 28 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says at least 33 of its soldiers have been killed in an air strike by Russia-backed Syrian government forces in northwestern Syria, rising tensions between Ankara and Damascus ally Moscow.
- 'Mayhem' in Syria's Idlib amid ongoing violence, as Guterres urges immediate ceasefire UN News 28 Feb 2020 -- Rapidly escalating conflict in northwest Syria has created healthcare "mayhem", amid reports of displaced people moving closer to the Turkish border in search of shelter, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday, as the UN Secretary-General appealed for all warring parties to "step back from the edge of further escalation."
- Syria: UN urges Russia and Turkey to secure 'fresh ceasefire' as risk of military escalation grows UN News 28 Feb 2020 -- With the Security Council meeting in emergency session on Syria following the death on the battlefield of dozens of Turkish troops, the UN strongly urged Russia and Turkey on Friday "to build on previous agreements to secure a fresh ceasefire" across the war-torn northwest.
- Russia, Turkey Are on the Edge in Syria VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Tensions between Russia and Turkey over their sometimes allied and often dueling military campaigns in Syria broke into the open Friday, with Moscow blaming Ankara for the deaths of 33 Turkish troops in Syria's Idlib region during airstrikes.
- Turkish, Russian Leaders Talk as Fighting Continues in Syria VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Fears of an escalating conflict in Syria grew Friday as Turkish forces pounded Syria's military in retaliation for the killing of 33 Turkish soldiers. Meanwhile, Russia's and Turkey's presidents spoke, as Ankara threatens to launch even more assaults on Russian-backed Syrian forces.
- Syria's Idlib Remains Explosive After Deadly Attack on Turkish Troops VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- The situation in Syria's rebel-controlled Idlib region remains explosive, following the killing there of more than 30 Turkish soldiers in an airstrike by Russia-backed Syrian government forces. Bracing against possible Turkish countermeasures, Russia is moving two warships toward the eastern Mediterranean.
- Turkey Calls for World Powers to Impose No-Fly Zone in Syria VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Turkey called on the international community Friday to impose a no-fly zone in Syria to protect hundreds of thousands of civilians from airstrikes by government forces in the Idlib region.
- UN Chief Calls for Cease-fire Before Syria Gets 'Entirely Out of Control' VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said the escalation of fighting in Syria is "one of the most alarming moments" of the conflict and called for an immediate cease-fire.
- 34 Turkish troops killed in Syria's Idlib as govt. forces continue gains Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Dozens of Turkish soldiers have reportedly been killed in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib as Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, continue to score territorial gains in battles against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in their last major bastion in the country.
- Turkish military firing at Russian, Syrian military planes in Idlib: Military source Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Turkish military forces are using shoulder-fired missiles to shoot down Russian and Syrian military aircraft in Syria's embattled northwestern province of Idlib as heavy fighting continues in the area, a military source says.
- Syrian army troops continue advancing in southern Idlib, liberate six more villages Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have retaken control of a number of villages in the southern countryside of the northwestern province of Idlib following clashes with foreign-backed Takfiri militants.
- Turkey says 2 soldiers killed in Syrian airstrike in Idlib Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says two of its army soldiers have been killed in an airstrike launched by the Syrian army in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, the last militant bastion in a nine-year war.
- Cross-border aid delivery in northwest Syria 'absolutely essential', Security Council hears UN News 27 Feb 2020 -- Cross-border humanitarian deliveries from Turkey last month reached more people in northwest Syria than at any time since operations began more than five years ago, the UN's Deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator told the Security Council on Thursday.
- Fighting Escalates in Idlib Ahead of Ankara Ultimatum VOA 27 Feb 2020 -- Fighting in Syria's Idlib province is escalating with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claiming rebels backed by Turkish troops have recaptured a strategic town from Damascus forces.
- Syrian army forces push further into southern Idlib, liberate three villages Press TV 25 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have made further progress in the southern countryside area of the country's embattled northwestern province of Idlib, liberating more villages from the clutches of foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants.
- Turkish shelling kills nine Syrian forces in Idlib: Monitor Press TV 25 Feb 2020 -- A Turkish shelling has reportedly killed nine Syrian forces in the northwestern Idlib province, where the Syrian army is fighting Ankara-backed militants to retake the last stronghold of terrorists, a London-based monitoring group said.
- Several Turkish forces killed in Syrian-Russian strikes in Idlib: SOHR Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- At least 10 Turkish army soldiers have reportedly been killed or injured following joint airstrikes launched by the Syrian and Russian air forces in Syria's embattled northwestern province of Idlib.
- Turkish Casualties Rise in Syria, but Ankara Wary of Confronting Russia VOA 24 Feb 2020 -- Turkish forces have suffered more casualties in the latest round of fighting in Syria's northwestern Idlib province. But despite Russia backing Syrian government forces in the ongoing attacks on Turkish forces, Ankara has refrained from confronting Moscow – a sign, analysts suggest, of the considerable economic leverage Russia retains over Turkey.
- Russia Denies Its Air Forces Hit Villages of Kansafra and Al-Bara in Idlib Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- The London based monitor claimed on Monday that air strikes by the Russian Air Force resulted in the deaths of five civilians.
- Syrian army continues anti-terror operation in Idlib, liberates more villages Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, supported by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have continued their operation against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the country's embattled northwestern province of Idlib, liberating more areas from the grip of the extremists.
- Syrian air defenses confront Israeli missile attack Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- Syrian air defenses have intercepted Israeli missiles targeting the capital city of Damascus.
- Russian, Turkish defense ministers discuss situation in Syria's Idlib People's Daily 23 Feb 2020 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu discussed the situation in the Syrian city of Idlib with his Turkish counterpart Hulusi Akar during a phone conversation, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement Saturday.
- Any violation of Syrian airspace will be dealt as foreign aggression: General Command Press TV 23 Feb 2020 -- Syria has warned against any violation of its airspace, emphasizing that such an encroachment will be treated as a "foreign act of aggression" and duly confronted.
- Syria: US dismayed at Aleppo liberation due to terrorist plot failure Press TV 23 Feb 2020 -- Syria says the US is "dismayed" to see the return of normal life to the northern Aleppo province because of the "humiliating defeats" suffered by Washington-sponsored terrorists at the hands of pro-Damascus forces.
- Syria reopens Damascus-Aleppo highway to traffic after years of conflict Press TV 22 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian government forces have recaptured a strategic highway connecting the capital city of Damascus and the northern city of Aleppo after years of conflict in an offensive against foreign-backed militants.
- Erdogan announces 4-way summit on Syria's Idlib Press TV 22 Feb 2020 -- Turkey's president says his country is to join a quadrilateral meeting with Russia, Germany, and France to address the situation in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, where Damascus' anti-terror advances have posed a threat to the Turkish military presence.
- Syrian army forces inflict heavy losses on Turkish-backed militants in Aleppo Press TV 22 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, supported by fighters from allied popular defense groups, have carried out a major counterattack against Turkish-backed Takfiri militants in the country's embattled northwestern province of Aleppo, inflicting losses on them.
- 'Russia, Turkey to intensify consultations on Syria's Idlib' Press TV 22 Feb 2020 -- The Russian and Turkish heads of state agree during a phone call to step up their bilateral consultations concerning the situation in the terrorists-infested northwestern Syrian province of Idlib.
- UN chief appeals for end to Syria's 'man-made humanitarian nightmare' UN News 21 Feb 2020 -- In a tersely delivered statement on Friday, the UN Secretary-General appealed for an end to the "man-made humanitarian nightmare" currently unfolding in Syria, where ongoing military operations in the north-west have displaced hundreds of thousands amid bitter winter temperatures.
- Russia says Turkey sends large amounts of ammo to Syria's Idlib ahead of large-scale op Press TV 21 Feb 2020 -- Russia says Turkey has sent large amounts of ammunition and armored vehicles into Syria's Idlib province, apparently in preparation for its anticipated large-scale operation in the Arab country.
- Kremlin Scrambles to Avoid Open Conflict With Turkey VOA 21 Feb 2020 -- The Kremlin was scrambling Friday to reach a stopgap agreement with Ankara to halt fighting in northwest Syria amid growing fears that Russia and Turkey are on the brink of open warfare.
- UN Chief Calls for Immediate Cease-Fire in Syria's Idlib VOA 21 Feb 2020 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called Friday for an immediate cease-fire in Syria's northwestern region of Idlib to end a humanitarian crisis "and avoid an uncontrollable escalation" in the area.
- Russia-backed Syrian troops repel attacks of Turkey-supported militants: Russian military People's Daily 21 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government troops covered by Russian warplanes on Thursday repelled several massive attacks of militants supported by Turkey in Syria's Idlib, according to the Russian military.
- Two batches of US troops arrive at Remailan air base in northeastern Syria: Report Press TV 20 Feb 2020 -- Two batches of American troops belonging to the US-led military coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have reportedly arrived at an air base in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Russia urges Turkey to halt support of 'terrorists' in Syria's flashpoint Idlib province Press TV 20 Feb 2020 -- Russia has called on Turkey to stop "supporting terrorists" in northern Syria, as Russian warplanes conducted airstrikes against targets of Turkey-backed militants and Syrian army troops repelled an attack by terror outfits in flashpoint Idlib province.
- Russian Air Strikes In Syria Kill Two Turkish Troops, Prompting Retaliation RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has said two of its soldiers were killed and another five were wounded in Russian air strikes near the northwestern region of Idlib in Syria on February 20, signifying an escalation in the civil war in which Ankara and Moscow support opposing sides.
- End hostilities, 'preserve lives': UN refugee chief makes appeal for people trapped in Syria's Idlib UN News 20 Feb 2020 -- As the already dire situation in north-west Syria dramatically continues to worsen in Idlib province, the head of the United Nations refugee agency called on Thursday for an end to the hostilities and appealed for urgent action to allow the people trapped there to move to places of safety.
- Turkey's Erdogan 'Determined to Transform Idlib Into a Safe Place' VOA 20 Feb 2020 -- Less than a day after Russian warplanes continued their bombing campaign in northwest Syria, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told his party's parliamentary group in Ankara Wednesday that he is "is determined to transform Idlib into a safe place at any cost for the sake of both Turkey and the region's people."
- Turkish Soldiers' Deaths Ramp Up Tensions With Moscow VOA 20 Feb 2020 -- Tensions between Turkey and Russia escalated Thursday with the killing of the two Turkish soldiers in a Syrian airstrike. Moscow, which backs the Damascus government, accused Ankara of supporting terrorists in Syria.
- UN envoy urges Turkey, Russia to de-escalate situation in Syria's Idlib Press TV 19 Feb 2020 -- UN Special Envoy for Syria Geir Pedersen has called on Moscow and Ankara to de-escalate the situation in the Arab country's Idlib province after the Turkish president threatened "imminent" operation in the last stronghold of terrorists in northern Syria.
- Amid 'devastating scale' of suffering in Syria's north-west, UN Security Council urged to find political way forward UN News 19 Feb 2020 -- With progress stalled on both the peace and political fronts in Syria, UN Special Envoy Geir Pedersen urged ambassadors in the Security Council on Wednesday to "put their weight" into finding a solution to end nearly nine years of conflict.
- UN Fears Fighting Will Follow Fleeing Syrians VOA 19 Feb 2020 -- As the number of civilians fleeing Syrian and Russian bombardments in northwestern Syria approaches the one million mark, the United Nations warned Wednesday that if fighting follows them, the result will be catastrophic.
- Turkey's Erdogan threatens 'imminent' Syria operation, sparks Russian warning Press TV 19 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has threatened to launch an "imminent" operation in Syria's Idlib Province if Damascus fails to withdraw behind Ankara's military positions, sparking a warning from Russia.
- Erdogan Says Talks With Russia Unsatisfactory, Turkish Offensive 'Matter Of Time' RFE/RL 19 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned that a military operation in the northwestern Syrian region of Idlib was a "matter of time" if President Bashar al-Assad's forces fail to withdraw behind Turkish military positions - prompting criticism from Moscow.
- UN chief calls for immediate ceasefire in Syria's war-battered north-west UN News 18 Feb 2020 -- Alarmed by the rapid deterioration of the humanitarian situation in north-west Syria and the tragic suffering of civilians, UN Secretary-General António Guterres on Tuesday called for an immediate ceasefire in the ongoing fight that has displaced more than 900.000 civilians since early December.
- Turkey Deploys 300 Military Vehicles to Idlib Amid Conflict With Syria - Reports Sputnik 18 Feb 2020 -- The situation in northern Syria remains tense since Damascus clashed with Ankara-backed militants, and later with the Turkish Army, as both sides accuse each other of breaking a ceasefire agreement.
- Turkey beefs up military presence in Syria amid Russia spat Press TV 18 Feb 2020 -- Turkey significantly beefs up its military presence in northwestern Syria amid continued disagreement with Russia over Damascus' counterterrorism operations in the area.
- UN Rights Chief Horrified by Violence Against Civilians in Syria VOA 18 Feb 2020 -- The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michele Bachelet, has expressed horror at the scale of the humanitarian crisis in northwest Syria, which has resulted in mass deaths and injuries of civilians and hundreds of thousands of displaced.
- Liberation of Aleppo not end of Syrian army's anti-terror campaign: Assad Press TV 17 Feb 2020 -- President Bashar al-Assad has congratulated the Syrian nation and government forces over major territorial gains made in the country's embattled northwestern province of Aleppo following intense battles with foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants, emphasizing the achievements do not mark the end of the campaign against terrorism that has plagued the country.
- Syrian army intercepts, downs militant drone near Homs refinery Press TV 17 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces have intercepted and shot down an unmanned aerial vehicle operated by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants as it was flying in the skies close to a major refinery in the country's central province of Homs.
- Trump Calls For Russia To Stop Backing Syrian 'Atrocities' On Eve Of Ankara-Moscow Talks RFE/RL 17 Feb 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump spoke by phone with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on February 16, "expressing concern over the violence in Idlib, Syria," according to White House press secretary Judd Deere.
- UK to Maintain Syria Sanctions After Transition Period – Foreign Office Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- The United Kingdom will keep sanctions on Syria in place after it unbinds its laws from those of the European Union, the Foreign Office said Monday.
- Russian, Turkish Military Conduct Patrol in Syria's Hasakah Province Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- The Russian military police are continuing to patrol the Syrian-Turkish border at several routes in the provinces of Aleppo, Hasakah and Raqqa, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's centre for Syria reconciliation, Rear Admiral Oleg Zhuravlev said on Monday.
- Syrian Forces Continue Lightning Advance in Country's North, Free Most of Aleppo Province – Reports Sputnik 17 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian Army completed the liberation of the city of Aleppo, the Arab Republic's second-largest population center, in late 2016, but militants continued to control much of the province of Aleppo in the years since, their de-facto control ensured in a 2017 peace deal.
- Assad: Aleppo Will Return as Strong as Ever VOA 17 Feb 2020 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the city of Aleppo, the economic center of Aleppo province, will "return stronger than ever," after Syrian forces retook complete control from rebel fighters.
- Assad Presses Offensive, as Humanitarian Crisis Worsens in Idlib VOA 17 Feb 2020 -- Hundreds of thousands of civilians, many women and children, are trapped in northwestern Syria with little food or adequate shelter for sub-zero temperatures in what the United Nations says is the greatest humanitarian crisis in the region since war erupted in Syria almost nine years ago. Dozens of makeshift medical facilities and aid warehouses have been struck in relentless sorties by Syrian and Russian jets, say UN officials and independent watchdogs.
- As north-west Syria violence reaches 'horrifying' new level, UN relief chief says ceasefire is only option UN News 17 Feb 2020 -- The crisis in north-west Syria has reached a "horrifying new level", the UN Humanitarian Affairs chief warned on Monday.
- President Assad says Syrians will liberate whole country from grips of terrorists Press TV 16 Feb 2020 -- President Bashar al-Assad says Syrians are determined to liberate the whole country from the clutches of foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists, amid a full-scale offensive by the army in the northwestern province of Idlib, the last militant bastion in a nine-year war.
- Syrian army advances in fierce battles against militants in Idlib Press TV 15 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have advanced in the battles against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the country's northwestern province of Idlib, wresting full control over a number of villages.
- Turkey fulfilled responsibilities under Sochi deal with Russia over Syria's Idlib: Ankara Press TV 15 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has hit back at Moscow that blamed Ankara for failing to honor a 2018 buffer zone deal, insisting that the Turkish government has so far carried out its responsibilities in Syria's volatile province of Idlib, which militant groups have been using as a launch pad for attacks against Syrian forces and civilians.
- Aleppo stepping toward full liberation thanks to Syria army gains Press TV 14 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, are apparently riding high following the liberation of more areas from the clutches of terrorists in the northwestern province of Aleppo.
- Vital Idlib aid deliveries resume after 'heavy bombing' - WFP UN News 14 Feb 2020 -- Urgently-needed aid deliveries to embattled civilians in north-west Syria have started again after a day-long break in distributions caused by escalating hostilities, the World Food Programme (WFP) said on Friday.
- Turkey says 5 soldiers killed as Syrian army advances in Idlib Press TV 10 Feb 2020 -- Five Turkish soldiers have been killed in an attack by advancing Syrian government forces against a Turkish military post in northwest Syria, Turkey's Defense Ministry says.
- Turkish Troops Killed In Attack In Northwest Syria RFE/RL 10 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says five of its soldiers have been killed and five others wounded as a result of shelling by Syrian government forces in Syria's northern province of Idlib.
- Turkish Soldiers Killed in Syria as Tensions with Damascus Escalate VOA 10 Feb 2020 -- Turkish and Syrian forces engaged in a deadly clash Monday in Syria's northwestern Idlib province. The latest escalation in fighting comes as Ankara continues to reinforce its troops in Idlib, while Russian-Turkish diplomatic efforts to end the violence remain deadlocked.
- Syrian army captures strategic town in Aleppo People's Daily 10 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian government forces captured a strategic town in the south of Aleppo province in northern Syria on Saturday, a war monitor reported.
- US Forces Reportedly Building New Base in Northeast Syria VOA 09 Feb 2020 -- The United States military has begun building a new base in northeast Syria, according to local reports.
- Turkey warns of 'Plan B' amid Syria's anti-terror operation in Idlib Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it will change tack in northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, where an intensified anti-terror operation is underway by Syrian army against foreign-backed militant outfits, if the deal reached with Russia is violated.
- Syrian army gains control of 600 sq.km., several towns, villages in Aleppo, Idlib: Statement Press TV 09 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have made significant advances against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the northwestern provinces of Aleppo and Idlib.
- Turkish forces build military base in Syria's Idlib as govt. forces advance: Report Press TV 08 Feb 2020 -- Turkish military forces have reportedly constructed a base in Syria's embattled northwestern province of Idlib, and a Turkish army convoy consisting of dozens of military vehicles, troop carriers, tanks and soldiers has arrived at the installation.
- Support Crumbling for Plan to Try IS Foreign Fighters in Syria VOA 08 Feb 2020 -- Syrian Kurdish officials determined to bring captured Islamic State foreign fighters to justice may have to do so without assistance from the international community.
- Turkey reinforces outposts in Syria's Idlib: Report Press TV 07 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has sent nearly 150 vehicles with commandos and ammunition to bolster its observation outposts in Idlib, where an intensified offensive is underway by the Syrian army forces against foreign-backed militant outfits
- Exclusive: Govt. forces seize key region from al-Qaeda-linked militants in northern Syria Press TV 07 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied militants from popular defense groups, have managed to establish full control over a strategic region in the southern countryside of the country's northern province of Aleppo from the al-Qaeda-linked militants.
- Israel uses civilian flight as shield to raid Damascus after Syrian troops liberate Saraqib Press TV 07 Feb 2020 -- An Israeli airstrike, carried out as Syria troops were liberating the terrorist-held town of Saraqib in northwestern Idlib province, has endangered a civilian flight carrying 172 passengers, according to the Russian Defense Ministry.
- Russia Says Syrian Air Defenses Nearly Hit Airliner Near Damascus RFE/RL 07 Feb 2020 -- An Airbus A320 airliner with 172 passengers on board has made an emergency landing in the Russian-controlled Khmeimim air base after Syrian air defenses nearly hit it, Russian news agencies have quoted a Defense Ministry spokesman as saying.
- Syrian Forces Advance on Rebels Despite Warnings from Turkey VOA 07 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian army is advancing on Idlib, the last rebel enclave, in the face of renewed Turkish military threats. But with the looming danger of confrontation, Ankara is facing increasing international and domestic pressure to change its stance towards Damascus.
- UN Warns Humanitarian Catastrophe Unfolding in Syria VOA 07 Feb 2020 -- United Nation agencies warn a humanitarian catastrophe is unfolding in northwest Syria and many more civilians will be killed and injured, with infrastructure destroyed unless hostilities stop.
- Russian Defence Ministry Says Turkey Skipped Joint Patrol With Russian Forces in Syria Sputnik 07 Feb 2020 -- Units of the Russian military police carried out a patrol in Syria's northeastern Hasakah province on Thursday on their own, as their Turkish counterparts failed to arrive at the mission starting point, Major General Yuri Borenkov, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Reconciliation Centre in Syria, said.
- Syria: 'Massive waves of civilian displacement and loss of life must stop now': UN Special Envoy UN News 06 Feb 2020 -- Air and ground strikes in the region of Idlib, northwest Syria, are causing "massive waves of civilian displacement and major loss of civilian life", causing unacceptable human suffering which must stop now, Geir Pedersen, the UN Special Envoy for Syria, told the Security Council on Thursday.
- Syrian Government Whittles Away at Turkish-supported Rebel Enclave of Idlib VOA 06 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces continue to whittle away at Turkish-supported rebel forces inside Syria's besieged Idlib enclave, gaining more ground along the strategic Damascus-to-Aleppo highway. Despite warnings by both Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and French President Emmanuel Macron to halt the offensive, the Syrian army appears poised to capture another strategic town.
- Suspected Israeli Airstrikes Reportedly Kill 23 Syrian Combatants VOA 06 Feb 2020 -- A British monitoring group says Israeli missile strikes killed at least 23 pro-Iranian fighters near Damascus Thursday. Israel is not commenting, but Syrian state media said their air defense repelled a number of attacks.
- Militants attack Russian forces from Turkey's zone in Syria's Idlib: Moscow Press TV 06 Feb 2020 -- Russia says a number of its troops have been killed during attacks launched by militants from Turkey's de-escalation zone in Syria's Idlib province, where an intensified offensive is underway by the Syrian army forces against foreign-backed militant outfits.
- Turkey military convoy enters Idlib to protect terrorists, impede Syrian forces advance: Army Press TV 06 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian army says a Turkish military convoy has passed into Syria to protect foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists and impede army advances in the country's northwestern province of Idlib simultaneously with the recent Israeli air aggression against the Arab country.
- Turkey Expects Russia To Immediately Stop Syrian Regime Attacks In Idlib RFE/RL 06 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it expects Moscow to put an end to the Syrian government forces' attacks in the northwestern province of Idlib immediately.
- Syria's air defense system intercepts Israeli missiles over Damascus Press TV 06 Feb 2020 -- Syrian air defense forces have intercepted several missiles launched from the occupied Golan Heights, according to Syrian state media.
- Syrian govt. forces give chance to militants in northwestern Saraqib city to surrender Press TV 05 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian army has given Takfiri foreign-backed militants holed up in Saraqib city of the country's embattled northwestern province of Idlib a chance to lay down their weapons and surrender, as it further tightens the noose around the extremists in their last major bastion.
- Erdogan Threatens Response to Syrian Gov't Troops if They Fail to Exit From Turkish Posts in Idlib Sputnik 05 Feb 2020 -- On Monday, Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan described the current developments in the Syrian province of Idlib as "unmanageable", adding that about one million refugees from the province have started moving north, towards the Turkish border.
- Erdogan Issues Ultimatum to Damascus on Idlib VOA 05 Feb 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has issued an ultimatum to Damascus warning of military action if the Syrian government does not withdraw its armed forces from Turkey's observation posts in Syria's Idlib province. Erdogan's threat is the latest ratcheting up of tensions following Monday's killing of Turkish soldiers by Syrian forces.
- UN: Scale of Idlib Humanitarian Crisis 'Overwhelming' VOA 05 Feb 2020 -- U.N. agencies report hundreds of thousands of civilians in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib are facing a humanitarian emergency and are in desperate need of life-saving assistance. The United Nations is appealing for $336 million to assist 800,000 people over the next six months.
- Islamic State Poised for Comeback, US Defense Officials Report VOA 04 Feb 2020 -- U.S. defense and intelligence officials say the special forces operation that killed former Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in Syria last October has done little to hinder the terror group.
- Turkish-Russian Tension Over Syria Opens Door to Washington VOA 04 Feb 2020 -- Questions about the future of Turkey's rapprochement with Russia are growing as fallout continues from Monday's killing of at least five Turkish soldiers by Russia-backed Syrian government forces.
- Escalation of Violence in Idlib US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2020 -- "The United States once again condemns the continued, unjustifiable, and ruthless assaults on the people of Idlib by the Assad regime, Russia, Iran, and Hizballah."
- Militant drone strike targets refinery, gas facilities in Syria's Homs, causes damage Press TV 04 Feb 2020 -- Syrian Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Ali Ghanem says foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants have launched a drone strike against a gas field and a number of energy facilities in the country's central province of Homs, causing fire and material damage.
- Turkey takes up its Syria accusations with Russia Press TV 04 Feb 2020 -- Turkey accuses the Syrian military of targeting its observation posts in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, claiming it is up to Russia to "stop" Damascus.
- Erdogan, Putin Discuss Recent Attack on Turkish Military in Syria's Idlib Over Phone Sputnik 04 Feb 2020 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry said on Monday that five Turkish military officers and a civilian staffer had been killed in an attack by the Syrian army in the province of Idlib.
- UN chief sees Turkey-Syria clashes as threat to int'l peace, security People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is "very much alarmed" by reports of clashes between Turkish and Syrian troops in northwest Syria seen as a "threat to regional and international peace and security," his spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Monday.
- We will not hesitate to take actions against any threat: Turkey to Syria Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it will not hesitate to act against Syrian forces pressing ahead with a counterterrorism offensive to liberate the last major terrorist-held territory in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syrian forces discover network of long tunnels once used by militants in Idlib Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- Syrian government forces have discovered a network of long tunnels as well as underground makeshift facilities once used by militants in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syrian army liberates two more towns in southeastern Idlib Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian army has retaken control of two more towns in the northwestern Idlib province during the ongoing campaign against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in their last major stronghold.
- Contradictory reports as Turkey claims bombing Syrian troops Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- Turkey says it launched airstrikes against Syrian troops advancing in the last terrorist bastion in Idlib, with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claiming the raids were in response to attacks on Turkish forces.
- Syria intercepts, shoots down terrorist drones near Russian air base in Latakia Press TV 03 Feb 2020 -- Syrian air defense forces have managed to foil an attack by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants against the country's strategic Hmeimim air base in the western coastal province of Latakia.
- Kremlin Says Putin-Erdogan Talks Can Be Arranged After Turkish Strikes In Syria RFE/RL 03 Feb 2020 -- The Kremlin says talks between President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan can be arranged if "necessary" after Turkish forces killed dozens of Russian-backed Syrian government troops.
- Syria: UN health agency highlights 'critical health threats' facing Idlib civilians UN News 03 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) raised the alarm on Monday over critical health threats facing hundreds-of thousands of Syrians forced to flee due to intensified hostilities in Syria's northwest, where health facilities and workers have increasingly come under attack.
- Turkey Hits Syrian Government Forces in Escalating Violence Over Idlib VOA 03 Feb 2020 -- Turkish forces using artillery and jets hit Syrian government military targets across Syria's Idlib province Monday. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the offensive was in retaliation for a deadly attack by Damascus on Turkish soldiers.
- Turkey dispatches large military convoy to Syria's Idlib province: Observatory Press TV 02 Feb 2020 -- Turkey has reportedly brought in a new column of military forces and hardware to be deployed in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, only two days after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey may launch a military operation there if the ongoing offensive by Syrian government forces against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants continues.
- Syrian troops liberate more towns, villages in Idlib, Aleppo Press TV 02 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian army has retaken control of three more villages in the northwestern Idlib province as part of an operation to liberate the last major terrorist-held territory in the Arab country.
- UN chief 'deeply concerned' by military escalation in northwest Syria UN News 01 Feb 2020 -- The UN Secretary-General has called for an immediate cessation of hostilities in northwest Syria.
- Syria liberates two villages in Idlib eastern countryside Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- The Syrian army has retaken control of two villages in the eastern countryside of the northwestern Idlib Province as part of an operation to liberate the last major terrorist-held territory in the Arab country.
- Turkey may launch Syria offensive if Idlib attacks continue: Erdogan Press TV 01 Feb 2020 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey may launch a military operation in Idlib if the ongoing offensive by Syrian government forces against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants continues there.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list