Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2020 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syrian army forces liberate new areas in southern Idlib countryside Press TV 31 Jan 2020 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have managed to establish control over new areas in the southern countryside of the country's northwestern province of Idlib during the ongoing campaign against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in their last major stronghold.
- Moscow denies reports of attacking civilians in Syria's Idlib Press TV 30 Jan 2020 -- Russia says it did not conduct airstrikes on a bakery and a medical clinic in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, branding foreign media reports as a "provocation."
- Syrian govt. forces liberate more areas in Idlib province from terrorists' grip Press TV 30 Jan 2020 -- Syrian army soldiers, backed by fighters from allied popular defense groups, have liberated more areas in the country's northwestern province of Idlib from the clutches of foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists, further tightening the noose around the extremists in their last major bastion.
- Russia Denies Involvement In Deadly Syria Air Strikes RFE/RL 30 Jan 2020 -- Russian air strikes have killed at least 10 civilians in Syria's Idlib Province, the opposition's last stronghold, activists say, an allegation quickly rejected by Moscow.
- Syrian army soldiers liberate key town of Khan Tuman in Aleppo: Report Press TV 29 Jan 2020 -- Syrian army forces are in full control of a strategic town in the country's northwestern province of Aleppo following an intense military operation against foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants.
- Syrian forces fully recapture main militant stronghold in southern Idlib Press TV 29 Jan 2020 -- Syrian army soldiers, backed by pro-government fighters from popular defense groups, have fully liberated a strategic city in the country's northwestern province of Idlib as they continue to gain more ground in battles against foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists.
- Turkey's Erdogan Says Russia 'Not Honoring' Syria Deals RFE/RL 29 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey is losing patience with the military assault in Syria's Idlib Province, the opposition's last stronghold, and accuses Russia of "not honoring" agreements aimed at stemming the violence there.
- End Syria fighting to avoid 'even greater humanitarian catastrophe' UN News 29 Jan 2020 -- The "dire and deteriorating humanitarian situation" affecting women and children in northwest Syria was the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator's top concern on Wednesday morning as he briefed the Security Council in New York.
- Erdogan Warns Moscow on Idlib Amid Fears of Refugee Exodus VOA 29 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan issued a rare warning to Moscow to rein in the Syrian government's Idlib offensive. The capture of a critical town Wednesday by regime forces is stoking fears in Ankara of a new exodus of refugees into Turkey.
- Syrian army troops seize control of most of strategic city in Idlib Press TV 28 Jan 2020 -- Syrian government troops and allied fighters from popular defense groups have manage to establish control over most neighborhoods of a strategic militant-held city in the country's northwestern province of Idlib as they continue to score more territorial gains in the last major stronghold of foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants.
- Pompeo Urges Syrian, Russian, And Iranian Forces To Halt Idlib Offensive RFE/RL 28 Jan 2020 -- The United States has expressed concern and called for an immediate cease-fire in northwestern Syria where the combined forces of Russia, Iranian proxies, and the Syrian government are reportedly conducting an assault on the Idlib and Aleppo provinces.
- Turkey Will Respond If Syrian Army Endangers Idlib Observation Posts – Defence Ministry Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- Ankara will take decisive retaliatory measures should the Syrian Arab Army threaten its observation posts in the Syrian province of Idlib amid an uptick in violence in the region, Turkey's Ministry of National Defence said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Syrian Troops Liberate Strategic City of Maarat al-Numan in Idlib Province - Source Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- The Syrian military began a new military operation in Idlib - the last stronghold of terrorist militants in Syria, late last year. Damascus has declared that freeing the area is essential to put an end to the country's long, foreign-backed civil war.
- US, Russian forces skirmish in northeast Syria Press TV 27 Jan 2020 -- US forces present in areas controlled by Kurdish militants in northeastern Syria have clashed with Russian troops amid accusations that Washington is stealing Syria's oil.
- Syrian army troops clear more towns of Takfiri terrorists in Idlib province Press TV 27 Jan 2020 -- Syrian government forces have liberated more areas during a large-scale counter-terrorism offensive in the country's northwestern province of Idlib from the clutches of foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists, tightening the noose around the extremists operating in the troubled region.
- Attacks on the People of Idlib US Dept. of State 27 Jan 2020 -- "The United States is monitoring with grave concern the situation in northwest Syria where the combined forces of Russia, the Iranian regime, Hizballah, and the Assad regime reportedly are conducting a large-scale assault upon the people of Idlib and western Aleppo provinces. "
- Syrian forces advance towards key Idlib city as terrorists block civilians' exit Press TV 26 Jan 2020 -- Syrian forces inch closer to a key city in the northwestern Idlib Province as part of a counter-terrorism operation, but foreign-backed Takfiri militants prevent civilians from leaving through humanitarian corridors.
- Syrian Government Troops Advance In Last Rebel Stronghold RFE/RL 26 Jan 2020 -- Syrian government forces have captured several rural settlements in the northwestern province of Idlib, as they continue an offensive into the country's last rebel stronghold, state media and a war monitor said on January 26.
- UN Agency Scales Up Food Delivery to Syria's War-Torn Idlib VOA 26 Jan 2020 -- The World Food Program reports it is scaling up its operation to provide emergency food to tens of thousands of homeless, hungry people in Syria's war-torn province of Idlib.
- Turkey urges more support from Europe to assist displaced Syrians People's Daily 25 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged European countries on Friday to take on their share of providing support for displaced Syrians.
- Syrian Army Liberates 3 Villages in Idlib Province, Combating Militants in Aleppo – Reports Sputnik 25 Jan 2020 -- Syrian government troops have liberated three villages in the northern province of Idlib, and are also fighting militants in the province of Aleppo, media reported.
- Syria forces close in on key militant-held city in Idlib: Monitor Press TV 24 Jan 2020 -- Syrian forces have made decisive advances towards a key city in the northwestern province of Idlib, which contains the largest remaining concentrations of Takfiri terrorists in the Arab country, a monitor says.
- Car bomb kills several Turkish soldiers in northern Syria: SANA Press TV 23 Jan 2020 -- Several people have lost their lives when a car bomb explosion struck a northern Syrian village seized by Turkish military forces and their allied militants in the aftermath of a cross-border incursion against militants of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).
- 40 Syrian forces killed, scores wounded in militant attack in Idlib Press TV 23 Jan 2020 -- Up to 40 Syrian soldiers have been killed and 80 others wounded in a multi-pronged attack by militants in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Special Representative for Syria Engagement and Special Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS James Jeffrey US Dept. of State 23 Jan 2020 -- Special Briefing
- Focus Remains on Enduring Defeat of ISIS, Military Official Says DoD News 22 Jan 2020 -- Even amid significant successes, the enduring defeat of ISIS remains the focus of U.S. forces and partners in Iraq and Syria, an effort that is vital to U.S. national security, the deputy commander of Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve said.
- US troops block Russian forces' way to oil fields in northeastern Syria Press TV 22 Jan 2020 -- US military forces present in areas controlled by militants of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah have reportedly stopped a Russian military convoy from reaching oil fields there.
- In Syria, Captured Islamic State Fighters, Followers Going Home VOA 22 Jan 2020 -- A growing number of fighters and followers captured during the final battles to defeat the Islamic State terror group's self-declared caliphate are being released in Syria, with some facing justice and others being given a chance to restart their lives.
- Russian, Syrian naval forces hold joint drills in eastern Mediterranean Sea Press TV 21 Jan 2020 -- Russian and Syrian naval forces have staged a joint exercise in the eastern Mediterranean Sea with the aim of defending international maritime economic activity at the sea.
- Russia repels drone attack on Hmeimim base in Syria Press TV 20 Jan 2020 -- Russian air defenses have repelled a drone attack launched by unidentified militants on the strategic Hmeimim airbase in Syria's western coastal province of Latakia.
- Syrian Militants Launch Drone Attack Against Hmeimim Base, Air Defence Repels Strike - Russian MoD Sputnik 19 Jan 2020 -- Unidentified militants using unmanned flying vehicles launched an airstrike on Sunday targeting the Russian Hmeimim airbase in Syria. Air defence systems successfully thwarted the attack, and the military installation suffered no damage, according to the Russian Defence Ministry.
- Despite Cease-Fire, Clashes Continue in Syria's Idlib VOA 19 Jan 2020 -- Fierce clashes continued Sunday between Syrian government forces and rebel fighters in the northwestern province of Idlib, despite a cease-fire brokered last week by Russia and Turkey.
- Civilian Killings Mount in Idlib as Cease-fire Breaks Down VOA 17 Jan 2020 -- The cease-fire in Syria's Idlib apparently broke down before it even began.
- Bomb attack kills ten in Turkish-controlled northern Syria town Press TV 16 Jan 2020 -- Nearly a dozen people have lost their lives when a powerful car bomb explosion ripped through a northern Syrian border town seized by Turkish military forces and their allied militants in the aftermath of a cross-border incursion against militants of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).
- Around 350,0000 people have fled Syria's Idlib since Dec. 1: UN Press TV 16 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations says around 350,000 Syrians, mostly women and children, have been displaced in the country's northwestern province of Idlib since early December last year.
- UN: Millions of Syrian Children Subject to Brutality VOA 16 Jan 2020 -- A report by the U.N. Commission of Inquiry on Syria presents a picture of the many violations and atrocities millions of children have been forced to endure over eight-and-a-half years of civil conflict. The report is entitled "They Have Erased the Dreams of My Children."
- Syrian conflict has 'erased' children's dreams: new UN report UN News 20 Jan 2020 -- Nearly nine years of conflict in Syria have robbed boys and girls of their childhood and subjected them to "unabated violations of their rights", including being killed, maimed, displaced, forced to fight or subjected to torture, rape and sexual slavery.
- Turkey Wants to Negotiate Establishment of Safe Zone in Syria's Idlib With Russia - Ankara Sputnik 15 Jan 2020 -- Ankara wishes to discuss with Moscow the creation of a safe zone in the Idlib province of Syria, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar told reporters on Wednesday.
- Turkish Leader Threatens Action in Libya, Syria VOA 14 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is threatening action in both Libya and Syria as rhetoric ramps up in the face of looming regional setbacks and growing frustrations with Moscow.
- Syrian army says confronts Israeli aggression on T4 airbase in Homs Press TV 15 Jan 2020 -- The Syrian army says it has intercepted and shot down several Israeli drones and missiles targeting a major military airport in the country's central province of Homs.
- Syria opens 3 humanitarian corridors for civilians from militant-held areas in Aleppo, Idlib Press TV 13 Jan 2020 -- Syrian authorities have opened three humanitarian corridors for civilians from areas controlled by foreign-sponsored militants in the northwestern provinces of Aleppo and Idlib to leave and move to government-controlled parts of the country.
- Warring Sides in Syrian Province of Idlib Cease Military Activities Starting Sunday Sputnik 12 Jan 2020 -- All conflicting parties in the Syrian province of Idlib ceased military activities starting Sunday midnight.
- UNSC extends cross-border aid delivery into Syria, halves crossings, time Press TV 11 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations Security Council has extended a six-year-long system for a cross-border delivery of humanitarian aid to people in Syria, halving the crossing points and the length of time.
- UNSC Adopts European Resolution on Cross-Border Humanitarian Aid Deliveries to Syria Sputnik 11 Jan 2020 -- The United States, the United Kingdom, China, and Russia abstained from voting on the resolution, while other 11 members voted in favour.
- Several Hashd al-Sha'abi forces killed in Israeli raids on Syria: Report Press TV 10 Jan 2020 -- Israel has launched several airstrikes on eastern Syria near the Iraqi border, killing at least eight fighters of Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU), a key player in the fight against Daesh and other Takfiri groups in the region.
- UN Approves Syrian Aid Effort, Scaled Back To Appease Russia RFE/RL 10 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations has renewed a six-year-long cross-border aid operation to Syrian civilians, but the scale of the effort was significantly reduced to avoid another veto by Russia.
- Security Council beats midnight deadline, renews Syria cross-border aid in contentious vote UN News 10 Jan 2020 -- The Security Council on Friday evening renewed a UN operation delivering humanitarian aid across the Syrian border to millions of civilians, but some of the body's members expressed disappointment that the "watered down" measure cut in half the number of crossing points and duration of the authorization.
- UN Security Council Authorizes Scaled-Back Cross-Border Aid into Syria VOA 10 Jan 2020 -- The U.N. Security Council voted Friday to allow scaled-back cross-border humanitarian aid operations to continue into Syria, adopting a resolution just hours before the operations were due to expire.
- Syrian air defenses down hostile drone in Hama province Press TV 09 Jan 2020 -- Syrian government forces have captured and dismantled an unmanned aerial vehicle launched by "terrorists" in the west-central province of Hama.
- Erdogan, Putin issue joint statement on Libya, Iran and Syria People's Daily 09 Jan 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on Wednesday issued a joint statement on the civil war of Libya, crisis in Iran and developments in Syria after their consecutive meetings in Istanbul.
- Turkey Says Its Four Soldiers Killed in Car Bombing in Syria - Reports Sputnik 09 Jan 2020 -- The Turkish Defence Ministry has given no further details as to the exact area of the explosion or who is responsible for the attack.
- UN urges global powers to renew cross-border air delivery system into Syria Press TV 07 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations (UN) has called on world powers to renew a system for a cross-border delivery of humanitarian aid to people in Syria that is due to expire later this week, stressing that there is no alternative to the current method.
- Syria: Civilians face 'daily nightmare' in Idlib, says top UN official UN News 07 Jan 2020 -- Following a sharp escalation of hostilities in southern Idlib, "at least 300,000 civilians have fled their homes" since mid-December, the UN Deputy Regional Humanitarian Coordinator for the Syria crisis said on Tuesday, voicing concern for their well-being.
- Humanitarian Conditions Worsen for Millions in Syria's Idlib VOA 07 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations says conditions are deteriorating at an alarming rate for millions of civilians trapped in Syria's embattled northwest province of Idlib.
- Putin Visits Damascus For Talks With Syrian President Assad RFE/RL 07 Jan 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has made a surprise visit to Syria's capital, Damascus, where he met with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and held consultations with Russian military officials.
- Russian President Putin Makes Visit to Damascus Sputnik 07 Jan 2020 -- Putin's visit to Syria comes amid heightened tensions in the Middle East following the US killing of Iran's top military commander Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad last week.
- UNICEF Appeals to Syria's Warring Parties to Protect Children from Carnage in Idlib VOA 05 Jan 2020 -- The United Nations Children's Fund is appealing to the warring parties in Syria to protect hundreds of thousands of children at risk of death and displacement from the carnage in and around the northwest province of Idlib.
- Syrian Army Seizes Al Tah Village in Idlib Province Sputnik 04 Jan 2020 -- Al Tah is located 45 kilometres (28 miles) away from the province's capital.
- Nearly 300,000 Syrians displaced from Idlib since mid-December, Security Council hears UN News 03 Jan 2020 -- Amidst concern for the safety and protection of more than three million civilians in Syria's last rebel-held enclave, the UN's most senior humanitarian and political affairs officials briefed the Security Council on Syria behind closed doors on Friday.
- Syria's Assad expresses condolences over Soleimani's assassination Press TV 03 Jan 2020 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has condoled Iran over the assassination of Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani, saying that the late commander's support for Syria will always be remembered by the Syrian nation.
- Turkey dispatches new military convoy to Syria's Idlib: SOHR Press TV 02 Jan 2020 -- Turkey has brought in a new column of military forces and hardware to be deployed in its observation posts in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, only days after Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said the Turkish military will not leave the posts, a Britain-based war monitor says.
- UNICEF chief hopes 2020 will be 'a year of peace' for Syria's children UN News 02 Jan 2020 -- Only an end to the war in Syria can bring safety to children there, the head of the UN child rights agency said on Thursday.
- Russia foils militant rocket attack on its airbase in Syria's Latakia Press TV 01 Jan 2020 -- The so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says Russian surface-to-air missile systems have managed to foil an attack by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants against the strategic Hmeimim airbase in Syria's western coastal province of Latakia.
- Surge of IS Violence Seen in Syria VOA 01 Jan 2020 -- Islamic State militants have increased their terror activity in recent weeks in Syria, carrying out deadly attacks against Syrian regime troops and U.S.-backed forces.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list