Israeli missile hits village in southwestern Syria; no casualties reported
Iran Press TV
Thu Aug 1, 2019 02:20PM
Israeli military has launched a missile at an area in Syria's southwestern province of Quneitra near the border with the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights.
Syria's official news agency SANA reported that the projectile slammed into the small village of Tal Bariqa, and that the attack left no casualties.
The report added that the missile strike caused only material damage.
A spokesperson for the Israeli army said it does not comment on foreign reports.
Meanwhile, the London-based so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that forces loyal to the Syrian government were present in the area of the attack, though it did not report any casualties.
The Syrian province of Quneitra includes the Golan Heights, most of which has been occupied and annexed by Israel despite the international outcry against the Tel Aviv regime.
Israel has carried out hundreds of air strikes in Syria, including in the area of the Golan Heights, most of them against what the Tel Aviv regime claims to be positions of pro-Syrian forces.
The state-run al-Ikhbariyah Syria television news network said in a newsflash early on June 24 that several civilians had lost their lives and sustained injuries, when Israeli fighter jets launched an airstrike against a strategic area in Syria's southwestern province of Dara'a.
The report added that the air raid was directed on Tel Haraa, which overlooks the occupied Golan Heights.
Tel Haraa was for many years a major Russian military radar outpost, until foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants overran it in 2014. Syrian government forces managed to establish full control over the strategic area last year.
Syria has called on the United Nations to adopt necessary measures to stop Israel's repeated acts of military aggression on the Arab country
On July 2, the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates urged the UN action against Israel after Israeli warplanes fired missiles at areas in the capital, Damascus, and its countryside as well as the central province of Homs at 12.35 a.m. local time from Lebanese airspace the previous day.
Four people, including a baby, were killed and 21 others were injured, most of them women and children, in the attack.
In two identical letters to UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres and the head of the UN Security Council, the ministry slammed the air raids as a "flagrant violation" of UNSC Resolution 350 of 1974 on the disengagement of forces between the two sides.
It noted that the attacks were aimed at prolonging the crisis in Syria.
Tel Aviv would not have been able to push ahead with such a "dangerous hostile approach" if it had not been for the US administration's "unwavering support" as well as the regime's "immunity from punishment" provided by Washington and certain Security Council members.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|