Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2019 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Turkey mulling sending allied militants from Syria to Libya: Report Press TV 31 Dec 2019 -- Turkey is reportedly considering sending militants from an allied, anti-government militia group in Syria to Libya as part of planned military support for the government in Tripoli.
- Battle in Syria's Idlib aims to eliminate terrorism: President Assad Press TV 31 Dec 2019 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the army's operations against terrorist groups in the northwestern province of Idlib are aimed at eliminating terrorism as a threat to security and safety of the Arab country's nation.
- Turkey says it will not withdraw from observation posts in Syria's Idlib Press TV 29 Dec 2019 -- The Turkish defense minister says Turkey will not withdraw from its observation posts in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib as the Damascus government's ground forces have recently advanced in several areas during a large-scale counter-terrorism operation there.
- Ankara Says Turkish Observation Posts in Syria's Idlib Will Respond to Any Attack Sputnik 29 Dec 2019 -- Turkish observation posts in the Syrian province of Idlib are ready to respond to any possible attack, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said on Sunday.
- Syria repels militant drone attack on army air base in Hama Press TV 28 Dec 2019 -- Syrian air defense forces have reportedly managed to foil an attack by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants against an air base in the country's west-central province of Hama.
- Syrian Forces Repel Terrorist Attacks In Idlib, Up to 30 Militants Killed, Russian Military Says Sputnik 28 Dec 2019 -- According to the Russian Reconciliation Center, terrorists attacked Syrian Forces' positions twice in Idlib, with each time involving up to 50 militants. The province remains a major stronghold of militants from various factions.
- Militants Attempt Attack on Syrian Airfield in Hama With Drones – Reports Sputnik 28 Dec 2019 -- Militants tried to attack a military airfield in the Syrian city of Hama with unmanned aerial vehicles, media reported.
- Russian Military Police Continue Patrolling Syria's Aleppo Sputnik 28 Dec 2019 -- The Russian military police have conducted patrols of Syria's Aleppo province along two routes, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's centre for Syrian reconciliation, said on Friday.
- Russia, Turkey Conduct Joint Patrols in Syrian Province of Aleppo Sputnik 27 Dec 2019 -- Russia and Turkey have conducted joint patrols in Syria's Aleppo province along the Syria-Turkey border, Major General Yuri Borenkov, the head of the Russian Centre for Syrian reconciliation, said on Thursday.
- Russian military police enter base in Syria's Raqqah as US troops leave Press TV 26 Dec 2019 -- Russian military police have taken control of a base near Syria's northern city of Raqqah only a few days after US servicemen left the site, which lies in a strategic area at a crossroads linking the strategic city with the central and northern regions of the war-ravaged country.
- Syrian forces retake more terrorist-held towns in Idlib Province Press TV 26 Dec 2019 -- Syrian troops have liberated several key villages and adjoining farms during a large-scale counter-terrorism offensive in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syria says planning to sue US for stealing its oil resources Press TV 26 Dec 2019 -- A senior advisor to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says Damascus plans to file a lawsuit against Washington for plundering the Arab country's oil resources.
- Syrian Army Liberates Several More Settlements in Eastern Idlib - Source Sputnik 26 Dec 2019 -- Syrian government troops on 26 December liberated several villages and smaller settlements in the eastern part of the Idlib province during a large-scale counterterrorism offensive, a Sputnik correspondent reported, citing a military source.
- Syrian Militants Refuse to Peacefully Surrender City in Idlib Province - Official Sputnik 25 Dec 2019 -- The militants controlling the Syrian city of Maarat al-Numan in the Idlib province have refused to give it up peacefully during negotiations with the Syrian government, Omar Rahmon, a member of the National Reconciliation Committee, said on Wednesday.
- Syrian air defense forces shoot down terrorists' explosives-laden drone in Hama Press TV 24 Dec 2019 -- Syrian government forces have captured and dismantled an unmanned aerial vehicle rigged with explosives in the country's west-central province of Hama.
- Syrian army makes fresh gains against terrorists in Idlib Press TV 24 Dec 2019 -- The Syrian government forces have made fresh gains against foreign-backed terrorists in Idlib province, the last major stronghold of militants in Syria, as the army tightens the noose around the extremists operating in the region.
- At Least 10 Dead In Russian Air Strikes In Syria, War Monitor Says RFE/RL 24 Dec 2019 -- At least 10 people, including six children, have been killed in Russian air strikes on a school sheltering displaced civilians in northwest Syria, a monitoring group said.
- Israel Using 'Weak' Arguments to Justify Airstrikes on Syria - Foreign Minister Sputnik 24 Dec 2019 -- Damascus considers the argument that the presence of Hezbollah and the Iranian military in the country justifies Israeli airstrikes on Syria unacceptable and "weak," Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem told RT broadcaster in an interview.
- Iran Ready to Help with Withdrawal of US Forces if Damascus Asks - Adviser to Supreme Leader Sputnik 24 Dec 2019 -- Iran is ready to help Syria with the withdrawal of the US forces that are in the country illegally if Damascus asks for help, Ali Akbar Velayati, an adviser to Iran's supreme leader, told RT Arabic.
- Amidst uptick in violence and displacement, UN chief calls for 'immediate cessation of hostilities' in Syria UN News 24 Dec 2019 -- "Deeply concerned" over a recent military escalation in northwest Syria, Secretary-General António Guterres called for an "immediate cessation of hostilities".
- Syrian forces take control of strategic village as army advances in Idlib Press TV 23 Dec 2019 -- Syrian government troops and allied fighters from popular defense groups continue to score more territorial gains in the country's northern province of Idlib, the last major stronghold of foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants.
- Syrian Armed Forces Enter Jarjanaz in Province of Idlib Sputnik 23 Dec 2019 -- The Syrian Armed Forces on Monday entered the town of Jarjanaz in the Syrian province of Idlib, a Sputnik correspondent confirmed.
- Militants Attempted to Attack Russian Airbase in Syria with Drones - Russian Reconciliation Centre Sputnik 23 Dec 2019 -- For months, militants have continued their attempts to attack Russian facilities from the Idlib de-escalation zone but Russian air defence systems repelled the attacks, according to Russian defence ministry's reports.
- Syrian air defenses repel Israeli missile attack Press TV 22 Dec 2019 -- Syrian air defense forces have repelled an attack launched from "the occupied territories", according to Syrian state media.
- Turkey's Erdogan Warns Europe Of New Syrian Migrants, Awaits Russian Talks RFE/RL 22 Dec 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned of the effects on Europe of a new influx of conflict-driven migration as people flee Russian and Syrian bombardments in northwestern Syria.
- Syrian army troops clear more villages of Takfiri terrorists in Idlib Press TV 22 Dec 2019 -- Syrian government military troops have liberated more areas in the northwestern province of Idlib from the grip of foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants, as they are tightening the noose around the extremists operating in the region.
- Syrian Government Army Takes Control of Flashpoint Idlib Village Sputnik 22 Dec 2019 -- The Syrian government has reclaimed control of Alteh, a flashpoint village in the Idlib province, according to a source in the Syrian military.
- West blocks Syria aid resolution after Russia, China veto rival plan Press TV 21 Dec 2019 -- The Western countries have blocked a UN Security Council resolution sponsored by Russia and China on cross-border aid deliveries to Syria, after the pair vetoed a rival motion.
- Pompeo Says Russia, China Have 'Blood On Their Hands' For Veto Of Syrian Aid RFE/RL 21 Dec 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said that Russia and China "have blood on their hands" for vetoing a UN Security Council resolution that would have extended the delivery of cross-border humanitarian aid to war-torn Syria for a year.
- Russian Federation's and China's Veto of UNSCR 2449 Aid to Syrian Refugees US Dept. of State 21 Dec 2019 -- "The Russian Federation's and China's veto yesterday of a Security Council resolution that allows for humanitarian aid to reach millions of Syrians is shameful."
- Pompeo Slams Russia, China for Opposing Syrian Aid Resolution VOA 21 Dec 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo denounced Russia and China on Saturday after the two countries vetoed a U.N. Security Council resolution on allowing cross-border humanitarian aid to Syria.
- U.S. Praises Kazakhstan For Leading the Repatriation Of Citizens From Syria RFE/RL 21 Dec 2019 -- The United States has praised Kazakhstan for leading the international effort to repatriate citizens, including fighters, from war-torn Syria.
- Syrian Oil Ministry Claims Terrorists Attacked Oil and Gas Facilities in Homs Province Sputnik 21 Dec 2019 -- Syria's Ministry of Oil and Mineral Resources said that terrorists had carried out three attacks on oil and gas facilities in the central part of Syria.
- Saudi Arabia deploys dozens of troops to key oil field in eastern Syria: Report Press TV 21 Dec 2019 -- Saudi Arabia has reportedly deployed dozens of combat troops to a major oilfield in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr as the United States and some of its regional allies are vying with one another to seize oil reserves and plunder natural resources in the war-battered country.
- Militant rocket attack targets refinery, gas facilities in Syria's Homs, disrupts production Press TV 21 Dec 2019 -- The Syrian Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources says foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants have launched a barrage of rockets at the main refinery and two gas facilities in the country's central province of Homs, causing minor damage and disrupting production.
- Passage of the Caesar Syria Civilian Protection Act of 2019 US Dept. of State 20 Dec 2019 -- "Today, the President signed into law the "Caesar Syria Civilian Protection Act of 2019" (the Caesar Act), an important step in promoting accountability for the large-scale atrocities Bashar al Assad and his regime have carried out in Syria."
- Bosnians Suspected Of Supporting Islamic State Deported From Syria RFE/RL 20 Dec 2019 -- Twenty-five Bosnian citizens have been sent home from camps in Syria, including women, children, and suspected fighters of the Islamic State (IS) extremist group, Bosnia-Herzegovina's authorities say.
- Syria: Lack of consensus following face-to-face talks, underscores need for broader process UN News 20 Dec 2019 -- The second session of the Syrian Constitutional Committee, aiming to create a new post-war political road map for the country, failed to get off the ground due to lack of consensus over the agenda, the UN Special Envoy for the country told the Security Council on Friday.
- Bomb attack leaves five dead in Turkish-controlled northern Syrian town Press TV 19 Dec 2019 -- At least five people, including three children, have lost their lives and several others sustained injuries when a car rigged with explosives went off in an area of Syria's northeastern province of al-Hasakah, controlled by Turkish military forces and their allied militants ever since they launched a ground offensive against militants from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG).
- Iran's Rouhani slams US plan to control Syria oil Press TV 19 Dec 2019 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has expressed concern about the US plan to gain control over Syrian oil reserves, urging more cooperation from Turkey to help the government in Damascus.
- 'Who has given the Americans the right to be in Syria?' China asks Press TV 19 Dec 2019 -- China's special envoy for Syria says the United States' pretext for extending its military presence in the Arab country, namely to protect Syrian oil fields, is untenable.
- Bringing coordinated relief to the people of Syria UK FCO 19 Dec 2019 -- Statement by Ambassador Karen Pierce, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- Life for civilians in Syria 'worse than when the year began' UN News 19 Dec 2019 -- The humanitarian situation facing civilians in many parts of Syria is "worse than when the year began", the UN deputy Emergency Relief Coordinator told the Security Council on Thursday.
- Turkey's Erdogan Warns of New Syrian Refugee Exodus as Tensions With Moscow Loom VOA 19 Dec 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is warning of another refugee exodus from Syria as government forces there conduct airstrikes against rebel targets in Idlib province. With Russian forces backing the assault, Ankara and Moscow face a looming threat to their recent warming ties.
- UN: Ability to Get Lifesaving Aid to 4 Million Syrians at Risk VOA 18 Dec 2019 -- The U.N. humanitarian chief is urging the Security Council to authorize a one-year extension of cross-border aid operations into Syria, warning there is no backup plan for reaching millions of vulnerable civilians without it.
- Russia proposes own Syria aid resolution to UN Press TV 17 Dec 2019 -- Russia has drafted a resolution outlining the manner of aid delivery to Syria, urging the United Nations to adopt it in place of a Western-backed one, which Moscow finds lacking in terms of transparency.
- Armed Groups Plan Attacks on Syrian Forces - Reconciliation Centre Sputnik 17 Dec 2019 -- Armed groups are planning attacks on Syrian forces, as Russia has revealed the transfer of militants and armored vehicles to the Idlib de-escalation zone, Maj. Gen. Yury Borenkov, head of the Russian centre for Syrian reconciliation, said at a briefing on Tuesday.
- Syrian Army May Begin Wide-Scale Operation in Idlib Province – Reports Sputnik 17 Dec 2019 -- The Syrian army is pulling military reinforcements into the country's northwestern province of Idlib and might start a large-scale offensive there, Syrian state-run media reported, citing a military source.
- Russia, Syria navies stage joint military drills in Mediterranean Press TV 17 Dec 2019 -- Russian and Syrian naval forces are holding their first-ever joint military exercises in the Mediterranean Sea with the aim of boosting cooperation in the counter-terrorism battle.
- Russian, Syrian Forces Start Joint Exercise in Mediterranean – Rear Admiral Yuldashev Sputnik 17 Dec 2019 -- The Russian and Syrian naval forces are starting joint drills in the Mediterranean on Tuesday, Rear Admiral Alexander Yuldashev, the commander of the military exercises, says.
- US military convoy enters oil fields in northeast Syria Press TV 16 Dec 2019 -- A large US military convoy has entered oil fields in northeastern Syria despite widespread condemnation of the deployment as being tantamount to robbery.
- Turkey-backed terrorists steal property of Syrian locals: SANA Press TV 16 Dec 2019 -- Turkey-backed terrorist groups continue to steal and plunder the property of local residents on the outskirts of the Kurdish town of Ra's al-Ayn in the northeastern Syrian province of Hasakah, state media report.
- No prospect for future US presence in Syria: Assad Press TV 16 Dec 2019 -- President Bashar al-Assad has ruled out a future US military presence in Syria, warning of a popular resistance against American troops.
- Syria Negotiating Inclusion in China's Belt and Road Initiative - Assad Sputnik 16 Dec 2019 -- Syria is seeking to join China's Belt and Road Initiative, and Damascus has already proposed six projects to Beijing that could become part of this infrastructure and development concept, Syrian President Bashar Assad has said in an interview with China's Phoenix Television.
- Assad Accuses US of Selling Oil Stolen From Syria's Fields to Turkey Sputnik 16 Dec 2019 -- President Donald Trump previously noted that despite troop withdrawals from Syria, US forces would stay in the Middle Eastern country to "keep the oil", causing an uproar, as it contradicts international laws against pillaging.
- Erdogan Says Russia, US Failed to Clear Safe Zone in Syria's North of Kurdish Forces Sputnik 16 Dec 2019 -- Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday that Russia and the United States failed to fulfill their obligations to Ankara on the withdrawal of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) from the security zone in northern Syria, and Turkey will do it on its own.
- OPCW probe team rejects watchdog's report on Syria 'chemical attack': WikiLeaks Press TV 15 Dec 2019 -- WikiLeaks has released a new cache of internal documents revealing that members of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), tasked with investigating a suspected "chemical attack" on Syria's Douma, had protested the watchdog's final report, saying it misrepresented their conclusions on the incident.
- Two Gas Fields With Capacity of 1Bln Cubic Meters Put Into Operation in Syria - Ministry Sputnik 16 Dec 2019 -- Two gas fields with a capacity of one million cubic meters, located to the east of the Syrian city of Homs, were put into operation, the Syrian Ministry of Petroleum and Mineral Resources said on Sunday.
- Russian Military Police Patrol Syria's Aleppo, Hasakah Provinces Sputnik 14 Dec 2019 -- Russian military police continued on Saturday to patrol Syria's provinces of Aleppo and Hasakah, Major General Yuri Borenkov, the head of the Russian Defence Ministry's Reconciliation Centre in Syria, said.
- US Never Promised Kurds Assistance in Establishing Autonomous State in Syria - Esper Sputnik 13 Dec 2019 -- The United States has never pledged to the Syrian Kurds that it will help them create an autonomous Kurdish state in Syria, US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said on Friday.
- US Military Evacuate 300 Relatives of Daesh Militants From Syrian Camp to Iraq - Reports Sputnik 12 Dec 2019 -- The US military evacuated about 300 family members of militants of the Daesh* terrorist group from the Al-Hawl camp in northern Syria to Iraq, Syrian state television reported on Wednesday.
- U.S. Will Withdraw From Syria When Local Forces Can Keep ISIS in Check DoD News 11 Dec 2019 -- U.S. forces in Syria will leave when local forces are capable of keeping ISIS in check on their own, Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper said.
- Milley Details DOD Operations Throughout the Middle East DoD News 11 Dec 2019 -- The Middle East remains a challenge to U.S. national security interests, as terrorist groups thrive on the region's instability as they try to export violent extremism around the world, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
- US Military Leaders, Congress Spar Over Syria Pullout VOA 11 Dec 2019 -- U.S. lawmakers and military leaders sparred Wednesday over the U.S. decision in October to pull troops out of northern Syria amid the threat of a Turkish offensive.
- Iran, Russia, Turkey call for restoration of peace to Syria's Idlib Press TV 11 Dec 2019 -- The three mediators of the Astana peace process on Syria – Russia, Turkey and Iran – have expressed their concerns about the presence of Takfiri terrorist groups in Idlib, underlining the need for the restoration of peace to the northwestern Syrian province, which is the last main militant bastion in the Arab state.
- Israeli Satellite Intel Co Unveils Alleged 'Iranian' Weapons Tunnel in Syria Near Iraqi Border Sputnik 11 Dec 2019 -- In recent years, Israel has repeatedly accused Iran of deploying forces and weapons in Syria as part of a proxy war against Tel Aviv, and has carried out hundreds of airstrikes against alleged 'Iranian' or 'Iran-backed' forces in the war-torn country. Tehran says its assistance has been limited to helping Damascus in its fight against terrorism.
- Syria's Idlib Must Eventually Be Freed From Terrorists - Russian FM Sputnik 11 Dec 2019 -- Syria's Idlib has been taken over by the Jabhat al-Nusra* but eventually has to be liberated and returned under the country's government control, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told reporters.
- Putin, Erdogan Call for Greater Anti-Terrorism Effort in Syria Sputnik 12 Dec 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke in favour of stepping up efforts to combat terrorism in Syria, including in Idlib province, during phone talks on Wednesday, Kremlin's press service reported.
- Russia, Turkey, Iran Hold 14th Round Of Talks On Syria War In Kazakhstan RFE/RL 10 Dec 2019 -- The delegations of Turkey, Iran, and Russia have arrived in Kazakhstan's capital, Nur-Sultan, for two days of trilateral talks, Kazakh Foreign Ministry spokesman Aibek Smadiyarov has told reporters.
- First Day of Astana-14 Talks on Syria Kicks Off With Russia-Iran Meeting Sputnik 10 Dec 2019 -- The first day of the 14th round of Astana-format talks on Syria in the Kazakh capital has started with a bilateral meeting between the Russian and Iranian delegations.
- Europe Faces Refugee Crisis Because of Supporting Terrorists in Syria - Assad Sputnik 10 Dec 2019 -- 'Syrian War Resulted From Government's Excessive Tolerance of Terrorists'
- Kurdish-led SDF militants move children of Daesh terrorists to own camp in northern Syria: Report Press TV 09 Dec 2019 -- Militants from the Kurdish-led and so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have reportedly transferred dozens of children born to Daesh Takfiri terrorists from a refugee camp in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah to their own training camp.
- Russia warplanes intercept Israeli jets over southern Syria: Report Press TV 09 Dec 2019 -- Russian fighter jets have intercepted Israeli warplanes that were flying over southern Syria, media reports say.
- Russian, Syrian Regime Forces Step Up Attacks on Rebel Stronghold Idlib VOA 08 Dec 2019 -- A recent military escalation by Russian and Syrian government forces in the rebel-held northwestern Syrian province of Idlib is likely to continue in the coming weeks, experts say.
- Hundreds of displaced Syrians leave the al-Hol camp Press TV 08 Dec 2019 -- Hundreds of displaced Syrian citizens are heading towards their hometowns and villages from an overcrowded desert camp in the northeast of the conflict-hit country.
- Turkish Military Will Stay in Syria Until Syrians Say 'Thank You, You May Leave Now' - Erdogan Sputnik 07 Dec 2019 -- Turkey launched a major offensive in the northern part of Syria in October in order to move the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) further away from its border.
- Pentagon Chief Says U.S. Military Has 'Sufficient Capability' In Middle East RFE/RL 07 Dec 2019 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper says he sees no need to boost the number of U.S. forces in the Middle East, a day after a Pentagon official suggested Washington was considering sending additional troops to the region.
- US Doesn't Rule Out Sending Additional Troops to Syria - Esper Sputnik 07 Dec 2019 -- US Secretary of Defence Mark Esper commented on a variety of issues on Saturday while delivering remarks at the Reagan National Defense Forum. The forum is an annual event that takes place at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper DoD 06 Dec 2019 -- As the Department has stated repeatedly, we were never discussing or considering sending 14,000 additional troops to the Middle East.
- Unidentified armed men attack US military base in eastern Syria: Report Press TV 06 Dec 2019 -- A group of unknown gunmen has reportedly attacked a US military base inside an oil field in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, prompting American forces at the site to respond.
- 'Daesh Has Absolutely Not Been Defeated' - Head of UK Military Sputnik 06 Dec 2019 -- The United Kingdom's chief of the defence staff, General Sir Nick Carter, delivered the annual State of Defence speech on Thursday evening at the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) in London.
- 2 Syrians killed, 6 injured as double bomb attack hits Ra's al-Ayn Press TV 05 Dec 2019 -- At least two Syrian civilians have been killed and six others sustained injuries as a result of two bomb attacks in the northeastern province of Hasakah.
- US forces transfer Daesh families from Syria to Iraq: SANA Press TV 05 Dec 2019 -- US military forces have transported to safe sanctuaries hundreds of family members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorists from Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah to neighboring Iraq over the past 24 hours, a local media report says.
- Militant shelling kills 10, mostly children, in Syria's Aleppo: Russia Press TV 05 Dec 2019 -- Russia says terrorists have launched a mortar attack on Syria's northern Aleppo Province, killing 10 civilians, mostly children, and wounding over a dozen more.
- Mortar Attack by Militants in Syria's Aleppo Province Kills 8 Children - Russian Military Sputnik 04 Dec 2019 -- A total of 10 civilians, including eight children, were killed and 13 were wounded in a mortar attack by militants in the city of Tall Rifat, in northern Aleppo province on Wednesday, Maj. Gen. Yuri Borenkov, the head of the Russian Centre for Syrian reconciliation, said.
- Trump Reveals US List of Daesh Donors From Raid That Killed Leader Al-Baghdadi Sputnik 03 Dec 2019 -- Data captured in the US raid that killed Daesh* chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi allowed the United States to compile a list of donors who supported the deadly terrorist group, President Donald Trump told reporters in London on Tuesday.
- Syrian Currency Plumbs New Lows Against US Dollar VOA 03 Dec 2019 -- The Syrian pound has been hitting new lows against the U.S. dollar in recent days, coming close to a record low of 1,000 pounds to the dollar, before pulling back Tuesday to about 920. Arab analysts are attributing the deteriorating exchange rate to economic and political crises in neighboring states, including Lebanon, Iraq and Iran, all of which have close economic ties to Damascus.
- Erdogan to Highlight Syrian Refugee Issue at NATO Summit VOA 02 Dec 2019 -- Syria is set to top the agenda of talks Tuesday between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and French, British and German leaders on the sidelines of the London NATO summit.
- Eight children among 11 killed in Turkish shelling on Syria's Aleppo: Observatory Press TV 02 Dec 2019 -- Turkish military forces have claimed the lives of at least 11 civilians, including eight children, in an artillery attack that struck near a school in the northwestern Syrian province of Aleppo.
- Bomb blast targets Russian armored vehicle in northwestern Syria, three servicemen injured Press TV 02 Dec 2019 -- Three Russian military police officers have sustained slight injuries when an explosion targeted their armored vehicle in Syria's northwestern province of Aleppo, as Russian and Turkish troops were conducting a new joint ground patrol under a deal that stipulates the withdrawal of Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militants from a "safe zone" along Syria's border with Turkey.
- Russian, Government Air Strikes Kill 15 Civilians In Northwest Syria RFE/RL 02 Dec 2019 -- At least 15 civilians were killed on December 2 when Syrian and Russian jets hit areas in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, a monitoring group says.
- Airstrikes in Syria Kill at Least 20 Near School, Markets VOA 02 Dec 2019 -- Separate airstrikes in Syria, suspected of being carried out by the Syrian government and Turkey, have killed at least 20 people, according to activists.
- Defence Ministry Dismisses NYT Report on Russia 'Bombing' Syrian Refugee Camp in August Sputnik 02 Dec 2019 -- The NYT wrote 1 December that "eyewitness photos and videos, flight logs and cockpit tapes obtained by The Times enabled reporters to trace an airstrike on a Syrian camp for displaced families to a Russian pilot."
- Russian Police Armoured Vehicle in Syria Targeted by Pipe Bomb - Defence Ministry Sputnik 02 Dec 2019 -- Kobane, officially known as Ayn al-Arab, was one of the centres of the self-proclaimed Kurdish autonomy in Syria's north. The US military left bases near Kobane following the launch of Turkey's Operation Peace Spring. After talks with the Kurds, the Syrian Army entered the city.
- Syrian government forces repel militant attack in Idlib Press TV 01 Dec 2019 -- Syrian government forces have managed to secure more victories in battles against Takfiri militants in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syrian Air Defences Repel Drone Attack on Airport Near City of Hama - Report Sputnik 01 Dec 2019 -- Terrorists carried out an artillery attack on residential areas of the southwest and centre of Aleppo, provoking the Syrian Armed Forces to respond with their own strikes on militant positions on 21 November, according to a source from a local forensic team.
- Russian Military Police on Patrol in Syria's Aleppo, Raqqa Provinces Sputnik 02 Dec 2019 -- The Russian military police continue patrolling Syria's provinces of Aleppo and Raqqa along the border with Turkey as part of the Russia-Turkey deal over the buffer zone in northern Syria, Major General Yuri Borenkov, the head of the Defence Ministry's Reconciliation Centre in Syria, said on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list