Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2017 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 29 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria between Dec. 22 and yesterday, conducting 46 strikes consisting of 93 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Mattis: US will send more diplomats, contractors to Syria Press TV 29 Dec 2017 -- Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says he is expecting to see a larger US civilian presence in Syria, where there are already 2,000 American troops without the authorization of the Syrian government.
- Mattis Says Operations Against ISIS Will Change in 2018 AFPS 29 Dec 2017 -- The destruction of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria's physical caliphate will change the way the coalition will go after the terror group, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis told Pentagon reporters here today.
- Pentagon Preparing for Shift in Syrian Strategy VOA 29 Dec 2017 -- The United States is preparing to shift its approach in Syria, pledging to help with the initial recovery following the collapse of the Islamic State's self-declared caliphate.
- Syria advances in Idlib as evacuations continue in Eastern Ghouta Press TV 29 Dec 2017 -- Evacuations continue of critically-ill patients out of an area to the east of the Syrian capital, Damascus, as the Syrian army has made new advancements against Takfiri terrorists in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Russian foreign minister says American forces must leave Syria Press TV 29 Dec 2017 -- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says the presence of American troops in Syria is unlawful, and that they must completely leave the Syrian soil.
- Syrian Army Takes Control Over Strategic Settlement in Hama Province - Source Sputnik 29 Dec 2017 -- The Syrian government forces have pushed terrorists from the strategically important Abu Dali settlement in Syria's western Hama province, a source told Sputnik Friday.
- Inherent Resolve Official Describes Defeat-ISIS Campaign Progress AFPS 28 Dec 2017 -- The coalition's efforts against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria have been successful, but there is still much to do to eradicate the group, British army Maj. Gen. Felix Gedney told Pentagon reporters yesterday.
- U.S.-led coalition forces make decisive gains against ISIS in 2017 Army News 28 Dec 2017 -- 2017 was a momentous year for the U.S.-led coalition's fight against ISIS, as the Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve broke the group's three-year stranglehold on Mosul, Iraq, and also liberated the group's self-proclaimed capital in Raqqa, Syria.
- Syrian army, allies make new territorial advances in Idlib Press TV 28 Dec 2017 -- Syrian government forces, backed by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have made fresh territorial gains against terrorists from the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham Takfiri group, formerly known as the al-Nusra Front, in the country's northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syrian Kurdish Leader Says Russia Invited Militia To Sochi Peace Talks RFE/RL 28 Dec 2017 -- Russia has promised leaders of the autonomous region controlled by Kurds in northern Syria that they can send representatives to a peace forum it is hosting next month, the commander of the main Syrian Kurdish militia has said.
- Top UN Official Fears Damascus Using Children as 'Bargaining Chips' VOA 28 Dec 2017 -- A top U.N. official says he fears Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is "using children as bargaining chips" in a deal to evacuate critically ill patients, mainly children, from a besieged opposition-held town on the outskirts of the capital, Damascus.
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing By Maj. Gen. Gedney Via Teleconference DoD 27 Dec 2017 -- Presenter: U.K. Army Major General Felix Gedney, Deputy Commander, Strategy and Support, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve
- Coalition Partner Forces Clear ISIS Caves in Southern Syria AFPS 27 Dec 2017 -- In partnership with coalition forces, the Maghawir al-Thawra conducted a series of ground clearance operations Dec. 23 to drive Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terrorists out of the Hamad Desert in southern Syria, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US runs training camps for Syria militants: Russian general Press TV 27 Dec 2017 -- The Russian military top brass says militants, including those with the Takfiri Daesh terror group, are receiving training in US bases in Syria, adding the terrorists have been instructed to "destabilize" the Arab country.
- Syrian army urges surrender of militants encircled near Lebanon border Press TV 27 Dec 2017 -- Syrian government forces and their allies have reportedly given a 72-hour deadline to militants encircled in a strategic border area near Lebanon and Israel to either leave or face military defeat.
- Syrian Kurds will be invited to Sochi talks in Russia Press TV 27 Dec 2017 -- Syria's Kurdish militants are assured that they would be represented in an upcoming round of talks mediated by Russia on the future of Syria.
- Syrian Rebel Groups Reject Russia-Sponsored Peace Talks RFE/RL 27 Dec 2017 -- Syrian rebel and opposition groups have rejected Russia's proposed peace talks next month, accusing Moscow of what they called "war crimes" in Syria and failing to put pressure on the Syrian government to end the six-year civil war.
- Syria's PYD Has No Plans to Break Ties With PKK - Spokesman Sputnik 27 Dec 2017 -- The Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) has no intention to break its ties with the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in response to Turkey's opposition to the PYD's participation in the Syrian National Dialogue Congress, a member of the PYD's Media Committee told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Moscow Has Data al-Nusra Front Militants Getting Support From Outside - Lavrov Sputnik 27 Dec 2017 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday that al-Nusra Front terrorists were getting help from the outside.
- Russian General Staff Calls US Explanations on At-Tanf Base 'Unintelligible' Sputnik 27 Dec 2017 -- US explanations about its base in southern Syria's At-Tanf are still "unintelligible", Chief of the Russian General Staff Valery Gerasimov told the Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper in an interview issued on Wednesday.
- US Base in At-Tanf Fully Blocked by Syrian Troops Sputnik 27 Dec 2017 -- Russian General Staff Chief Army General Valery Gerasimov said that there was movement of militants from the US base in Syria's At-Tanf, which is currently fully blocked by the Syrian army.
- Russian Foreign Minister Defends Syria Peace Conference VOA 27 Dec 2017 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Wednesday that next month's Russia-led peace talks in Sochi have "broad support" among the Syrian people and are meant to lay the groundwork for a U.N.-brokered peace process.
- Syrian Air Force warplane goes down in northern Hama, pilot killed Press TV 26 Dec 2017 -- The Syrian military said one of its jet fighter aircraft has crashed in the country's west-central province of Hama as Syrian government forces, backed by fighters from allied popular defense groups, continue to make territorial gains in battles against foreign-backed Takfiri militants.
- Syrian 'opposition' dismisses initiative to hold congress in Sochi Press TV 26 Dec 2017 -- Forty Syrian "opposition" groups have rejected a Russian initiative for holding a congress with the participation of Syria's conflicting sides in the Black Sea resort of Sochi next month.
- Nusra militants, under increasing battlefield pressure, agree to move to Syria's Idlib, Dara'a Press TV 26 Dec 2017 -- Members of the al-Nusra Front militant group have agreed to surrender the southwestern outskirts of Syria's Rif Dimashq Governorate and move to the provinces of Idlib and Dara'a.
- Syrian Army Halts Operation Near Damascus After Terrorists' Defeat - Reports Sputnik 26 Dec 2017 -- The Syrian government forces have ceased their offensive operation southwest of Damascus after al-Nusra Front (Jabhat Fatah al-Sham terrorist group, banned in Russia) terrorists surrendered and started engaging in talks, Al Mayadeen reported on Tuesday.
- Russia has begun forming permanent presence in military bases in Syria: Defense minister Press TV 26 Dec 2017 -- Russia's Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu says the country has begun establishing a permanent presence in its two military bases in Syria.
- Russia Starts Forming Permanent Groups in Syria's Tartus, Hmeymim Bases - Shoigu Sputnik 26 Dec 2017 -- Russia has started forming a permanent group in Syria's Tartus and Hmeymim, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said during a conference call.
- Russia Establishing Permanent Presence At Bases In Syria RFE/RL 26 Dec 2017 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu says Russia has started establishing a permanent presence at its two military bases in Syria -- the Russian naval facility in Tartus and the Russian-run Khmeimim air base near the city of Latakia.
- Syrian forces, allies advance against militants in area near Israel Press TV 25 Dec 2017 -- Syrian army troops and their allies have made significant territorial gains in the last militant-held enclave near a strategic border area with Israel and Lebanon.
- Syrian Army Advances on Rebel-Held Bastion Near Israel-Lebanon Border Sputnik 25 Dec 2017 -- The enclave of Beit Jin is the last rebel-held bastion in Western Ghouta. The Syrian Army and its allies began an operation to retake the area two months ago.
- Syrian Army Surrounds Terrorist Stronghold Near Damascus - Reports Sputnik 25 Dec 2017 -- The Syrian government forces surrounded a stronghold of militants from Jabhat al-Nusra in a settlement south-west of Damascus, local media reported on Sunday.
- Australia Ending Role in Airstrikes Against IS in Iraq and Syria VOA 23 Dec 2017 -- Australia will end its airstrikes against Islamic State militant targets in Iraq and Syria after being part of a U.S.-led international coalition for more than two years.
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 22 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria between Dec. 18 and yesterday, conducting 11 strikes consisting of 21 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Australia's Defense Chief Declares End of Air Campaign Against Daesh Sputnik 22 Dec 2017 -- Australian Defense Minister Marise Payne on Friday declared an end to the nation's airstrike operations in Syria and Iraq, although she admitted the challenge was not over yet, local media reported.
- Eighth round of Syria peace talks starts in Kazakh capital Press TV 21 Dec 2017 -- The eighth round of Syria peace talks mediated by Iran, Russia and Turkey, has kicked off in Kazakhstan's capital of Astana with the aim of finding a diplomatic solution to the six-year conflict in the Arab country.
- Aid has not reached 'a single soul' in Syria's besieged areas in December, says UN advisor UN News 21 Dec 2017 -- The list of people requiring life-saving medical help in Syria is getting shorter not because they were evacuated, but because they died, a senior United Nations advisor warned Thursday.
- Deaths Mount as Syria Refuses Permit for Medical Evacuation VOA 21 Dec 2017 -- A senior U.N. official says people are dying because the Syrian government will not give the green light for an urgent medical evacuation from eastern Ghouta, a suburb of Damascus.
- Russian MoD Denies Allegations of Strikes in Syria's Idlib Sputnik 20 Dec 2017 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has denied allegations of carrying out airstrikes in Syria's Idlib province.
- Coalition Removes ISIS Leaders From Battlefield AFPS 19 Dec 2017 -- In Iraq and Syria, coalition airstrikes killed three senior Islamic State of Iraq and Syria leaders in the past three weeks, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials announced today.
- Syrian Democratic Forces Continue to Drive Out ISIS, OIR Spokesman Says AFPS 19 Dec 2017 -- The Syrian Democratic Forces continue their momentum to drive the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria out of Syria in their advance against the enemy in the Khabur River area of the Middle Euphrates River Valley, Army Col. Ryan S. Dillon, spokesman for the Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve, told Pentagon reporters today.
- Security Council renews Syrian cross-border relief convoys amid ongoing challenges for aid workers UN News 19 Dec 2017 -- The Security Council today renewed the authorization for United Nations relief agencies and their partners to use routes across conflict lines and border crossings to deliver lifesaving assistance to millions in north-west and southern Syria through Turkey and Jordan.
- UN Extends Authorization for Cross-border Aid Deliveries in Syria VOA 19 Dec 2017 -- The U.N. Security Council approved cross-border aid deliveries to Syria for another year Tuesday, despite some concerns from Russia.
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 18 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria between Dec. 15-17, conducting 19 strikes consisting of 26 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US-backed Kurdish armed militants 'traitors' to Syria: President Assad Press TV 18 Dec 2017 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says all US-backed Kurdish armed militants are "traitors" to the Syrian nation, ramping up the rhetoric particularly against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), which are mainly active in northeastern areas of the Arab country through receiving vital substantial air and armament support from Washington.
- French President Macron says Assad will remain in power in Syria Press TV 18 Dec 2017 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says the reality in Syria is that President Bashar al-Assad will continue to stay in power because his opponents have lost "the war on the ground."
- Syria's Assad Meets Russian Official, Calls U.S.-Backed Militias 'Traitors' RFE/RL 18 Dec 2017 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has called U.S.-backed Kurdish fighters "traitors," according to an online statement from his office on December 18.
- France's Macron Sees Victory Over IS By February, Talks With Assad RFE/RL 18 Dec 2017 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says the military campaign against Islamic State (IS) insurgents in Syria should be completed in February, coming just weeks after victory was declared against the extremists in Iraq.
- Macron: Assad Will Stay in Power as Russia, Iran 'Won on the Ground' in Syria Sputnik 18 Dec 2017 -- French President Emmanuel Macron said that the international coalition will have won in Syria in February and that France will seek a political solution to the crisis.
- Assad Hopeful About Upcoming Russian-Sponsored Talks on Syria VOA 18 Dec 2017 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad expressed regret for the stalemate of U.N.-brokered intra-Syrian talks in Geneva last week but says he expects better results during the Russian-sponsored Sochi peace process to be held in February.
- Mattis Says Close U.S.-Russian Jet Encounters Over Syria May Not Be Accidental RFE/RL 17 Dec 2017 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is questioning whether recent close encounters between Russian and U.S. warplanes over Syria were mistaken or the result of what he called "dangerous" maneuvers by some Russian fighter-jet pilots.
- Syria retakes village in Idlib, make gains against militants Press TV 17 Dec 2017 -- Syrian government forces have managed to retake a key village in the militant-controlled province of Idlib in the northwest.
- Mattis warns of unsafe Russia flights in Syria amid Moscow's rejection Press TV 17 Dec 2017 -- US Secretary of Defense James Mattis has warned against Russian jet fighters flying "dangerously" over what he views as "a safe zone" in Syria, a country that has repeatedly censured violation of its ground and air space by American military forces.
- OIR Officials Report Details of Latest Strikes Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 15 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria between Dec. 11-14, conducting 42 strikes consisting of 53 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Coalition Partner Forces Kill More than 20 ISIS Terrorists in Southern Syria AFPS 14 Dec 2017 -- Coalition-partnered forces in southern Syria killed more than 20 Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terrorists near At-Tanf, yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials said today.
- US F-22 aircraft intercept Russian jets, fire flares at them over Syria Press TV 14 Dec 2017 -- American fighter jets have intercepted Russian military aircraft over Syria, the Pentagon has announced, claiming the Russian pilots were flying over a banned area.
- U.S. Jets Fire Flares In Tense Encounter With Russian Jets Over Syria RFE/RL 14 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and Russian air force jets have had a tense midair encounter in eastern Syria, with the Americans firing flares and deploying chaff in an effort to persuade the Russian jets to leave, the Pentagon says.
- US, Russia Militaries Discuss Close Call Between Their Jets Over Syria - CENTCOM Sputnik 14 Dec 2017 -- The incident involving Russian and US aircraft has taken place in the Syrian airspace east of the Euphrates river, according to the Washington Examiner.
- UN Envoy Urges Russia To Prod Syria To Accept Peace Deal RFE/RL 14 Dec 2017 -- UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura has urged Russia to convince the Syrian government to reach a peace deal to end the nearly seven-year-old war.
- Geneva-8 Talks on Syrian Settlement 'Big Missed Opportunity' - De Mistura Sputnik 14 Dec 2017 -- UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura has called the latest round of talks on Syrian settlement in Geneva a "big missed opportunity".
- Moscow Denies Russian Jets Intercepted By US F-22s in Syria Sputnik 14 Dec 2017 -- The Russian Defense Ministry released a statement Thursday denying reports of an alleged "intercept" of Russian Su-25s by US F-22 fighter jets in Syria.
- 'Golden opportunity' missed for progress on intra-Syrian talks, says UN envoy UN News 14 Dec 2017 -- A "golden opportunity" has been missed to decide the future of Syria at the end of the latest round of United Nations-supported talks in Geneva, UN Special Envoy Staffan de Mistura said on Thursday.
- Western, Gulf Weapons Supplied to Syria Rebels Leaked to Islamic State VOA 14 Dec 2017 -- A significant quantity of weapons supplied by Western and Gulf states to opposition factions battling the regime of President Bashar al-Assad in the Syrian conflict were transferred to the Islamic State, according to a study funded by the European Union and Germany's foreign ministry.
- Latest Round of Syrian Peace Talks Seen as 'Missed Opportunity' VOA 14 Dec 2017 -- The eighth round of Syrian peace talks have ended on a sour note with the United Nations mediator describing them as a "missed opportunity."
- U.S. Officials Skeptical Of Putin's Announced Troop Withdrawal From Syria RFE/RL 13 Dec 2017 -- U.S. officials are voicing skepticism about Russian President Vladimir Putin's announcement of a partial withdrawal of Russian troops from Syria, in particular saying that his declaration of victory against the Islamic State (IS) extremist group seems premature.
- Russia begins troop withdrawal from Syria People's Daily 12 Dec 2017 -- MOSCOW, Dec. 12 (Xinhua) -- Russia has begun a partial withdrawal of its troops in Syria under the order of President Vladimir Putin, local media reported on Tuesday.
- UN warns of new Syria refugee flow into Europe Press TV 12 Dec 2017 -- The United Nations has warned that Europe should anticipate droves of Syrian refugees if aid programs in Syria's neighboring countries and other places are not sustained.
- Russian troops return home as part of partial withdrawal plan Press TV 12 Dec 2017 -- A group of Russian troops deployed to Syria has returned home as part of Russia's partial withdrawal of its forces from the war-torn country.
- Putin's Syria Envoy Says No Reason Assad Should Not Seek Reelection RFE/RL 12 Dec 2017 -- Russia's envoy for Syria peacemaking efforts says that President Bashar al-Assad should be allowed to run for reelection, a stance that runs counter to Western governments that say he should have no place in politics after a postwar political transition.
- Iraqi Army Spokesman Denies Alleged Plans to Create Coordination Center With SDF Sputnik 12 Dec 2017 -- Last week, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi declared victory over Daesh and the restoration of control over the border with Syria.
- UN and partners launch $4.4 billion regional appeal for more than five million Syrian refugees UN News 12 Dec 2017 -- A more than $4 billion appeal has been launched to support what one senior United Nations official called on Tuesday "a lost generation" of Syrian refugees caught up in the ongoing conflict.
- Putin Declares 'Mission Accomplished' on Syria; but, Could It Prove Premature? VOA 12 Dec 2017 -- Vladimir Putin confirmed last week he would seek a fifth term as Russia's president next March – and this week, he kicked off his re-election campaign, not in his home country, but overseas in the Middle East.
- Multibillion-dollar Appeal Launched for More Than 5 Million Syrian Refugees VOA 12 Dec 2017 -- U.N. and private aid agencies are appealing for $4.4 billion to support more than five million destitute Syrian refugees and the impoverished communities hosting them in five neighboring countries.
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Target ISIS in Syria, Iraq AFPS 11 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria over the last three days, conducting 14 strikes consisting of 27 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Iraqi, Syrian Democratic Forces Destroy ISIS' 'Caliphate' AFPS 11 Dec 2017 -- While Iraqi security forces and Syrian Democratic Forces have destroyed the idea of an Islamic State of Iraq and Syria 'Caliphate,' much work remains to be done against the terror group, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Robert Manning said today.
- Daesh terrorists driven out of Syria's Idlib province in fight with rival outfit: Monitor Press TV 11 Dec 2017 -- The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has been pushed out of Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, after it made an incursion into the region bordering Turkey two days earlier, a monitoring group says.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 11 Dec 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Russian president orders troops to begin pullout from Syria Press TV 11 Dec 2017 -- Russia's President Vladimir Putin has ordered Russian forces to begin withdrawing from Syria during a surprise visit to the Arab country, RIA Novosti news agency reported.
- Putin Visits Syria Base, Orders Partial Russian Withdrawal RFE/RL 11 Dec 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has made a surprise visit to Syria, declaring victory and ordering the Russian military to start withdrawing a "significant portion" of its forces from the war-ravaged Middle Eastern country.
- Pro-Syrian Government Forces Aim to Seize Last Opposition-controlled Stronghold City VOA 11 Dec 2017 -- The Syrian army and Iranian-backed forces including Afghan fighters backed by Russian air power launched a new offensive against Syrian regime opposition's strongholds in Idlib province.
- Putin Says Russia to Withdraw 'Significant Part' of Troops from Syria VOA 11 Dec 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has indicated he has ordered his military to withdraw a "significant part" of Russia's forces from Syria, after regaining control of most of the country. Russia would now focus on talks between the Syrian opposition and the government.
- Syrian army forces, allies capture areas in Hama province Press TV 10 Dec 2017 -- Syrian army soldiers, supported by allied fighters from popular defense groups, have flushed members of the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham Takfiri terrorist group out of their last positions in the western-central province of Hama as they continue to make territorial gains across the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Syrian government delegation returns to UN-brokered Geneva peace talks Press TV 10 Dec 2017 -- The Syrian government's delegation has returned to Geneva in a bid to resume the UN-organized peace talks for Syria with the representatives of the foreign-backed opposition groups, more than a week after Damascus left the negotiations, arguing that the other side had made the road to peace impassable.
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 08 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, conducting 18 strikes consisting of 40 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria between Dec. 4 and yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Russian mission to defeat Daesh terrorists in Syria accomplished: Top general Press TV 07 Dec 2017 -- A high-ranking Russian commander says his country's military campaign against the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria has been accomplished, and there are now no remaining settlements controlled by the extremists in the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Russian Armed Forces Complete Mission to Destroy Daesh in Syria - Gen. Staff Sputnik 07 Dec 2017 -- The Russian Armed forces have fulfilled their objective of destroying the military forces of the Daesh terrorist group in Syria, the head of the Russian General Staff Col. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi said on Thursday.
- Children not a 'bargaining chip' in tug of war between Syrian parties - UN advisor UN News 07 Dec 2017 -- The United Nations advisor for Syria said Thursday that obstacles stopping humanitarians from delivering aid and carrying out medical evacuations in besieged parts of the war-ravaged country are not being lifted, and "children are dying" as a result.
- Russia Says IS Has Been Defeated in Syria VOA 07 Dec 2017 -- Russia's military said Thursday that its mission to oust the Islamic State group in Syria had been accomplished and that the country was "completely liberated" from the group.
- Pentagon Questions Advances Made by Russia to Defeat Daesh in Syria Sputnik 07 Dec 2017 -- On Wednesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced that the Islamic State had been defeated on both banks of the Euphrates River in Syria, while Chief of the Russian General Staff Valery Gerasimov said that Syria was fully freed from terrorists.
- 2,000 US troops in Syria, Pentagon finally admits Press TV 07 Dec 2017 -- The US military has finally acknowledged that there are around 2,000 US troops in Syria, confirming reports that it previously disputed about the real troop levels in the Arab country.
- Putin declares 'complete victory' on both banks of Euphrates in Syria Press TV 06 Dec 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has declared a 'complete victory' over the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group on both banks of the Euphrates River in Syria, stressing the significance of switching to a political process to ultimately end the crisis in the Arab country.
- UN study uncovers horrors of sexual violence against Syrian refugee boys and men UN News 06 Dec 2017 -- A study carried out by the United Nations refugee agency has revealed disturbing details a little-known side to the Syrian conflict: sexual violence against boys and men.
- Putin Informed About Daesh's Total Defeat in Syria's Euphrates Valley Sputnik 06 Dec 2017 -- Over the past months, the Syrian government forces have achieved a major breakthrough in the province of Deir ez-Zor, and now the remaining terrorist units have been expelled from the Euphrates River Valley.
- Combat RPAs integral in defeating ISIS AFNS 05 Dec 2017 -- U.S. forces, coalition partners and Syrian Democratic Forces liberated Raqqah, Syria from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria's control in early October 2017. ISIS used the city as its capital for terrorist operations since January 2014.
- Pentagon declares 'conditions-based' presence in Syria Press TV 05 Dec 2017 -- The US military forces are poised to stay in war-ravaged Syria for "as long as we need to," says a Pentagon official.
- Officials Provide Details of Latest Strikes Against ISIS AFPS 04 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, conducting 33 strikes consisting of 49 engagements between Dec. 1 and yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Syria govt. still unsure to participate in Geneva talks Press TV 04 Dec 2017 -- A source close to the Syrian government says Damascus is still unsure whether to participate in the eighth round of the UN-mediated peace talks in Geneva.
- Ankara Steps Up Threats Against Syrian Kurdish Enclave VOA 04 Dec 2017 -- For security reasons, Turkey is ratcheting up its threat to intervene militarily against Kurdish forces in Afrin, a Syrian region on Turkey's border.
- 'Tens of Thousands' of Unexploded IEDs Remain in Raqqa VOA 04 Dec 2017 -- It will take years to remove improvised explosive devices left behind by Islamic State fighters who fled Raqqa, the Syrian city that served as the capital of the terror group's self-declared caliphate.<
- Kurdish YPG forces recapture eastern Dayr al-Zawr countryside from Daesh: Report Press TV 03 Dec 2017 -- The US-backed Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) say they have fully recaptured the eastern Dayr al-Zawr countryside from the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group with the help of airstrikes carried out by Russia's air force.
- Netanyahu Says Israel Won't Allow Iran to 'Entrench Itself Militarily' in Syria Sputnik 03 Dec 2017 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has posted a video on his Facebook page, explaining his policy on Iran as well as the Syrian conflict.
- Netanyahu Says Iran's Presence in Syria Won't Be Tolerated VOA 03 Dec 2017 -- Israel won't allow Iran to entrench itself militarily in Syria, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed Sunday.
- Top Syrian negotiator rejects Riyadh-2 communiqué Press TV 01 Dec 2017 -- Syria's ambassador to the United Nations and head of the Syrian delegation to the intra-Syrian peace talks in Geneva has strongly condemned the foreign-sponsored armed opposition over a communiqué, which demands the resignation of President Bashar al-Assad and his exclusion from governing Syria during a transitional period.
- Iranian Envoy Says U.S. Won't Succeed In Pushing Iran Out Of Syria RFE/RL 01 Dec 2017 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says U.S. efforts to push Iranian military advisers and fighters out of Syria as part of a deal to end the war-torn country's six-year civil war will not succeed.
- Military Strikes Continue Against ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 01 Dec 2017 -- U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, conducting 19 strikes consisting of 24 engagements between Nov. 27 and yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- 400 US Marines to leave Syria after Raqqah operation: Coalition Press TV 01 Dec 2017 -- The US-led coalition, which has purportedly been fighting Daesh, says it is to pull more than 400 American Marines out of Syria, where they helped Kurdish militants capture the northern city of Raqqah from the Takfiri terror group.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list