Syrian Army Conducting Major Offensive Against Militants to North-East of Aleppo
Three quarters of Bustan al-Basha neighborhood to the north-east of Syria's Aleppo are under control of the Syrian government forces after the launch of large-scale offensive against extremist groups, according to militia source.
DAMASCUS (Sputnik) – The Syrian government forces supported by local militias have launched a large-scale offensive against extremist groups in Bustan al-Basha neighborhood to the north-east of Syria's Aleppo, a militia source told RIA Novosti on Friday.
"The Syrian government forces with strong fire support are advancing in Bustan al-Basha district. By now, three quarters of the territories of this strategic district are under control of the forces. The Lebanese Hezbollah movement's troops provide support in the offensive," the source said.
Earlier this week, Syrian troops supported by local militias managed to break through the key terrorist positions in another strategic district of Masaken Hanano.
On Tuesday, Syrian Army's General Command called on militants to lay down arms in accordance with an amnesty decree, to stop the bloodshed, bombing of residential areas as well attacks on civilians.
Over the recent months, Aleppo has been a major battleground in Syria, engaging government forces, jihadists, and numerous opposition groups. Eastern Aleppo is held by militants, encircled by government forces, and the fighting has affected thousands of civilians still trapped in the city.
Between 200,000 and 300,000 civilians are still held by terrorists in the eastern neighborhoods of Aleppo, according to Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and United Nations Emergency Relief Coordinator Stephen O'Brien.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|