FSA Partly Refuses to Participate in Ceasefire Deal Without al-Nusra Front
20:31 23.02.2016(updated 21:42 23.02.2016)
A part of the Free Syrian Army (FSA) will not participate in the ceasefire deal unless al-Nusra Front is involved, a commander of Ahrar ash-Sham militants said Tuesday.
MOSCOW (Sputnik) – On Monday, Russia and the United States announced an agreement on cessation of hostilities between the Syrian government of President Bashar Assad and the armed opposition factions had been reached. The agreement will come into force on February 27.
According to the deal, military action, including airstrikes conducted by Syria, Russia and the US-led coalition will continue against Daesh, al-Nusra Front, as well as other UN-designated terrorist groups.
'Several FSA brigades announced of the refusal to join the ceasefire in Syria, if it does not apply to the Nusra Front,' the commander was quoted as saying by Al Mayadeen television channel.
'There will be no ceasefire without Nusra Front,' the commander said.
The FSA is one of the groups labeled a 'moderate' opposition faction in the Syrian civil war, which broke out in 2011. Washington trained and equipped the FSA fighters in the hope that they would counter Daesh terrorists, but subsequently shut down this program in October after spending almost $500 million dollars without any tangible results.
On Monday, the Kremlin released details of the Syrian ceasefire plan the US and Russia agreed upon. The two countries had to conduct several rounds of secret negotiations before settling all details and making them public. According to Russian President Vladimir Putin, the plan of ceasing hostilities presents a 'real step that can stop the bloodshed.'
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|