Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2014 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Turkey Fears ISIL Radicalism Could Spill Over From Syria, Iraq VOA 31 Jul 2014 -- With the Sunni jihadist group ISIL stepping up attacks in Syria along the border with Turkey, concern is growing in Turkey that the violence could spill over.
- The United States Contributes $378 Million in Additional Funding to Syria US Dept. of State 30 Jul 2014 -- Press Statement by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Fact Sheet: United States Announces Additional Humanitarian Assistance for Syria Crisis US Dept. of State 30 Jul 2014
- 'Flagrant' violations of international law continue in Syria, Top UN relief official warns UN News Centre 30 Jul 2014 -- 'Flagrant' violations of international law continue in Syria, Top UN relief official warns With the United Nations and its partners in Syria begin to ramp up aid deliveries across battle lines, the Organization's Emergency Relief Coordinator warned today that attacks on civilians by all parties to the conflict and human rights abuses continue "in flagrant violation of the most basic principles of…international law."
- Lebanon Cracks Down on Syrian Refugees VOA 30 Jul 2014 -- Lebanese authorities have started to enforce new measures that would limit the number of Syrians entering Lebanon as part of efforts to reduce the more than one million refugees from the war-shattered nation already within their borders.
- Security Council concerned about illicit oil trade as revenue for terrorists in Iraq, Syria UN News Centre 28 Jul 2014 -- Voicing grave concern over the reported access to and seizure of oilfields and pipelines in Syria and Iraq by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and Jabhat Al-Nusra, the Security Council today underscored that there should be no trade in oil with these terrorist groups.
- UN Security Council Warns Against Oil Sales by Terrorist Groups in Iraq, Syria RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2014 -- As the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant and Jabhat Al-Nusra take over oil fields in Iraq and Syria and move to sell the oil, the UN Security Council on Monday unanimously adopted a Presidential Statement calling on member states not to trade in oil with these entities.
- Syria Retakes Homs Gas Field from Hardline Group VOA 27 Jul 2014 -- Syrian army said on Sunday it recaptured a gas field east of the central city of Homs that was seized by hardline Islamic State fighters earlier this month.
- Video: ISIL beheads 50 Syrian soldiers, puts heads on poles Iran Press TV 27 Jul 2014 -- Newly-released video footage shows the ISIL Takfiri terrorists summarily executing at least 50 Syrian government soldiers in the troubled northern Syria.
- Lebanon Deploys Troops to Halt Syrian Jihadist Spillover VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- Lebanese security forces say a tip from U.S. intelligence agencies enabled them to pre-empt an assault planned by Syrian jihadists on predominantly Shi'ite Muslim villages in the Bekaa Valley. The intelligence disclosure is part of a mounting Western effort to help Lebanon's army curb violent sectarian spillover from Syria's civil war, analysts say.
- Cape Ray Crew Continues Neutralizing Syrian Chemical Materials AFPS 25 Jul 2014 -- Teams aboard the U.S. ship MV Cape Ray continue to neutralize materials from Syria's declared chemical stockpile, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren said today.
- Arms race in Syria must be stopped to reduce civilian suffering, says head of UN panel UN News Centre 25 Jul 2014 -- As 'gross human rights violations' continue in Syria, the head of a United Nations-appointed human rights probe today implored Member States to stop supplying weapons to both sides.
- Turkish Kurds want Ankara to Declare Stance on ISIL VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- The leadership of the Kurdish rebel group PKK has called on Ankara to 'declare its stance on ISIL.'
- Turkey Feeling Strain From Hosting Syrian Refugees VOA 24 Jul 2014 -- Turkey has maintained an open door policy for people fleeing the conflict in neighboring Syria, but recent violent protests in several cities indicate many Turks are feeling the strain from harboring the one million refugees. Authorities say they may soon force the tens of thousands of Syrians living on the streets into camps.
- Cape Ray Continues Neutralizing Syrian Chemical Materials AFPS 18 Jul 2014 -- Teams aboard the U.S. ship MV Cape Ray continue to neutralize materials from Syria's declared chemical stockpile, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby told reporters today.
- UN chief, special envoys pledge to 'spare no effort' to end Syria bloodshed UN News Centre 17 Jul 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, flanked by his new special envoys for Syria, today pledged to "spare no effort" to help end the bloodshed and bring about a peaceful resolution to the conflict that brought untold suffering to millions.
- ISIL militants seize gas field in central Syria Iran Press TV 17 Jul 2014 -- Takfiri ISIL terrorists have taken control of a gas field in Syria's central region of Palmyra, an opposition source says.
- Syrian army makes fresh gains in Hama Iran Press TV 17 Jul 2014 -- The Syrian army makes fresh gains in the province of Hama in its fight against the foreign-backed militants operating in the country.
- Syrian President Begins Third Term VOA 16 Jul 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al Assad took the oath of office Wednesday for a third seven year term in office, amid a three-year-old civil war across much of the country.
- Assad sworn in for third term as Syrian president VoR 16 Jul 2014 -- Bashar al-Assad was sworn in for a new seven-year term as President of Syria for the third time on Wednesday, media reports. 'I pledge to respect the constitution and protect the people of Syria,' he said during a live broadcast on Syrian television at a red carpet ceremony held at the presidential palace in Damascus.
- Security Council authorizes UN, partners to use most direct routes for Syria aid delivery UN News Centre 14 Jul 2014 -- In response to the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Syria, the Security Council today adopted a resolution aimed at increasing access to civilians in difficult-to-reach areas by authorizing the delivery of assistance across borders and conflict lines.
- Syria: UN agency urges Europe to shoulder more of refugee challenge UN News Centre 11 Jul 2014 -- With Syria heading into its fourth year of conflict, a United Nations agency today called on Europe to do more to help Syrian refugees, after a new report found that some nations in the region are turning back asylum seekers and 'shouldering only a small part' of the challenges.
- Over 170,000 people killed in Syria crisis: Report Iran Press TV 11 Jul 2014 -- More than 170,000 people, one-third of them civilians, have been killed in the ongoing foreign-sponsored crisis in Syria, a report says.
- Syrian refugee mothers in 'spiral of hardship', UN reports UN News Centre 08 Jul 2014 -- One in four of all Syrian refugee families in Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan are headed by women who, on their own, are struggling to make ends meet and take care of their increasingly traumatized families, the United Nations today reported, calling for more resources to aid these single mothers.
- Syria: Besieged Palestinians in refugee camp 'will likely go hungry,' UN agency warns UN News Centre 06 Jul 2014 -- Unable for more than a month now to deliver food and other supplies to Palestinians trapped in a refugee camp near Damascus, the United Nations agency tasked with ensuring their well-being said today it is urgently seeking to resume its humanitarian activities, warning that the civilians would likely go hungry.
- Cape Ray Begins Neutralizing Syrian Chemical Materials AFPS 07 Jul 2014 -- Teams aboard the MV Cape Ray have begun neutralizing Syrian chemical materials, a Pentagon spokesman said here today.
- Syrian army soldiers advance in Aleppo Iran Press TV 07 Jul 2014 -- Syrian army soldiers have made fresh advances and laid siege to several militant-held parts of Syria's largest city, Aleppo.
- Russia Wants Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia to Join Syria Reconciliation Talks RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2014 -- Moscow has reiterated its proposal to engage Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia and other states in the Syrian reconciliation effort, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov said in an interview with RIA Novosti Monday.
- ISIL drives thousands of Syrian civilians out of homes Iran Press TV 06 Jul 2014 -- ISIL Takfiri terrorists have reportedly forced thousands of residents in the eastern Syrian province of Deir al-Zour to leave their homes.
- Syrian army plans new operaion in Aleppo VoR 06 Jul 2014 -- The opposition Syrian National Coalition said Sunday that regime forces are preparing to launch a major operation on rebel-held areas of the northern city of Aleppo. The group's leadership, meanwhile, was meeting in Istanbul to elect a successor to SNC chief Ahmad Jarba.
- ISIL militants seize major oil field in eastern Syria Iran Press TV 03 Jul 2014 -- Takfiri militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have seized control of a major oil field from a rival militant group in eastern Syria.
- McCain calls for arming of Syria militants against ISIL Iran Press TV 03 Jul 2014 -- US Senator John McCain presses for increased military aid to militant groups in Syria to fight a "two-front war" against both the government of President Bashar al-Assad and ISIL terrorists controlling large swaths of territory in Iraq and Syria.
- Transfer of Syria CW completed: Pentagon Iran Press TV 03 Jul 2014 -- The United States Department of Defense has confirmed that the process of transferring Syria's chemical weapons from a Danish container to an American vessel is completed off the Italian coast.
- Syrian Jets Bomb Border Areas With Iraq RFE/RL 03 Jul 2014 -- Syrian aircraft have bombed border areas between Syria and Iraq, killing three Iraq civilians according to local officials.
- Syria: UN agency warns of grave risks to refugees if funding gaps remain unmet UN News Centre 03 Jul 2014 -- Failure to close the funding gap to meet the needs of the growing number of people fleeing the conflict in Syria could mean grave risks for the refugees as well as for the stability of the region, according to the United Nations refugee agency.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby on the Transfer of Syria Chemical Material to Motor Vessel Cape Ray DoD 02 Jul 2014
- Who is 'Caliph Ibrahim' and How Dangerous is He? VOA 02 Jul 2014 -- To the United States, 43-year-old Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is the leader of the jihadist Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and a "specially designated global terrorist" with a $10 million bounty on his head.
- Royal Navy warship completes Syria chemical weapons mission UK MOD 02 Jul 2014 -- Type 45 destroyer HMS Diamond has completed her role escorting ships carrying Syria's chemical weapons stock for disposal.
- Cape Ray Arrives in Italy to Receive Syrian Chemicals AFPS 01 Jul 2014 -- The MV Cape Ray docked in the southern Italian port of Gioia Tauro today and will begin transferring Syrian chemical agents and precursor materials soon, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby told reporters today.
- Self-Proclaimed 'Caliph' Orders All Muslims to Move to New Islamic State VOA 01 Jul 2014 -- The self-appointed leader of the newly proclaimed Islamic state in Iraq and Syria is demanding that all Muslims emigrate there and take up arms.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list