Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2014 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Iraq Drives New US Policy in Syria VOA 30 Jun 2014 -- One direct byproduct of the rapid advancement of militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Iraq is a revamped U.S. policy in Syria.
- ISIL executes several rival militants in Syria Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2014 -- Terrorists from the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have publicly executed and crucified eight rival militants in Syria.
- Bomb Blast Hits Busy Damascus Market VOA 28 Jun 2014 -- A powerful car bomb blast in the rebel-held Damascus suburb of Douma killed over a dozen people, wounding dozens of others, according to Arab language media. Opposition activists are accusing the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant of being behind the bombing.
- Remarks With Syrian Opposition Coalition President Ahmad al-Jarba During Their Meeting US Dept. of State 27 Jun 2014
- Kerry Meets with Syrian Opposition Leader in Saudi Arabia VOA 27 Jun 2014 -- Meeting with U.S. Secretary John Kerry Friday in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Syrian opposition leader Ahmad al-Jarba asked for more foreign aid from the United States and Saudi Arabia as his rebels attempt to push back both Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces and the al-Qaida offshoot group, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
- Humanitarian needs outpacing response amid ongoing obstacles to aid delivery in Syria - UN UN News Centre 26 Jun 2014 -- Four months after the Security Council adopted a resolution demanding unimpeded access to people in need of assistance in Syria, relief agencies continue to face obstacles to aid delivery while the needs continue to grow and are now outpacing response efforts, the United Nations humanitarian chief reported today.
- White House Asks Congress for $500M to Equip, Train Syrian Opposition VOA 26 Jun 2014 -- The White House is asking the U.S. Congress for $500 million to equip and train selected members of the armed moderate Syrian opposition.
- Syria, Iran Join Fight Against Iraq's Militants VOA 26 Jun 2014 -- Top Western diplomats are focusing on the crisis in Iraq and pressing their calls for the country to unite in the face of a surge by Sunni Islamist militants, as Syria and Iran join the fight.
- NATO Chief Says Alliance Must Deal With Russia's 'New Warfare' RFE/RL 25 Jun 2014 -- NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen has opened a meeting of alliance foreign ministers by noting Russia's use of 'ambiguous' warfare in Ukraine while saying its door 'remains open' to aspirant countries.
- Statement from Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby on the Departure of M/V Cape Ray DoD 25 Jun 2014
- Removal of Syrian chemical weapons UK MOD 25 Jun 2014 -- HMS Diamond has begun the next phase of the operation to destroy chemical weapons materials removed from Syria.
- Removal of Declared Chemical Materials from Syria US Dept. of State 23 Jun 2014
- Statement by Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel on Syria DoD 23 Jun 2014
- Last Batch of Chemical Stockpiles Exits Syria – OPCW RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2014 -- The Organization for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) confirmed Monday the withdrawal of the last consignment of chemical stockpiles from Syria.
- Removal of Syria's chemical weapons material complete, announces OPCW-UN mission UN News Centre 23 Jun 2014 -- The Joint Mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and the United Nations (OPCW-UN) announced today that the removal of Syria's chemical weapons material is now complete.
- UAE Jails 7 Men for Funding Syrian Militants VOA 23 Jun 2014 -- A court in the United Arab Emirates has handed down sentences to seven men convicted of operating an al-Qaida linked terror cell within the country and channeling funds to militants fighting the Syrian government of Bashar al-Assad.
- Syrian Refugees In Iraq Face New Uncertainties RFE/RL 20 Jun 2014 -- Having taken control of several Iraqi towns, including the country's second largest city, Mosul, ISIL is moving southward, toward the capital, Baghdad. This has led hundreds of thousands Iraqis to flee the fighting. Some, have headed north, bringing competition and new uncertainties to the some 220,000 Syrian refugees, most of them Kurds, living in Iraq's northern Kurdish region.
- 'UN will not give up trying to restore peace to your country,' Ban tells Syrian people UN News Centre 20 Jun 2014 -- Spotlighting the worsening of the already horrifying war in Syria, "which continues to bleed beyond its borders," Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today delivered a strong rebuke to the world's indifference to the bloodshed and rejected the notion that a military solution is the only way to end it, offering instead a "principled and integrated" approach that would end the violence, jumpstart political talks and sow the seeds for a better future for the Syrian people.
- Expanding reach of relief efforts, UN refugee agency opens office in southern Syria UN News Centre 19 Jun 2014 -- As part of an ongoing plan to expand the reach of its humanitarian efforts in Syria, the United Nations refugee agency has opened a field office and warehouse in the southern city of Sweida and stocked it with aid items for onward delivery to thousands of internally displaced civilians.
- Deploring continued use of heavy weapons, Ban urges Syrian parties to end violence UN News Centre 19 Jun 2014 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today strongly condemned the continued heavy shelling, aerial attacks and use of barrel bombs by the Syrian Government, and renewed his appeal to all parties to the conflict to end violence and seek a political solution.
- Syria army pounds militant strongholds in Lebanon's Arsal Iran Press TV 19 Jun 2014 -- Syrian military forces have pounded the strongholds of foreign-backed militants of the notorious al-Qaeda-linked al-Nusra Front in the Lebanese border village of Arsal.
- Russia's contribution to UN humanitarian motion on Syria will rule out military measures VoR 19 Jun 2014 -- While Moscow has agreed to work over a United Nations Security Council's (UN SC) draft resolution on humanitarian access to Syria, authored by Australia, Jordan, Luxembourg, it warned against attempts to pass military measures in conducting humanitarian operations in that country.
- Several killed as fresh Takfiri infighting erupts in Syria Iran Press TV 17 Jun 2014 -- Militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) terrorist group have engaged in fierce fighting with other militant groups in various parts of Syria.
- Syrian army continues clean-up operations in Kassab Iran Press TV 17 Jun 2014 -- Syrian soldiers continue their clean-up operations in Kassab near the border with Turkey after recapturing the strategic town from foreign-backed militants, Press TV reports.
- Impunity, unprecedented violence, denial of aid hallmarks of Syria conflict – UN rights panel UN News Centre 17 Jun 2014 -- The majority of civilians in Syria continue to bear the brunt of the ongoing conflict, the head of a United Nations-appointed human rights panel said today, noting that violence has escalated to an unprecedented level, humanitarian aid is arbitrarily denied and perpetrators of crimes have no fear of consequence.
- Syrian Conflict Carries Threat of Regional War VOA 17 Jun 2014 -- U.N. investigators are warning the Syrian conflict is threatening the entire region. The four-member Commission of Inquiry on Syria says a regional war in the Middle East draws ever closer.
- Syria army recaptures strategic town near Turkish border Iran Press TV 15 Jun 2014 -- The Syrian army has recaptured the strategic town of Kassab near the country's border with Turkey in the northwestern province of Latakia.
- Syria ready to help Iraq fight terrorism: Ministry Iran Press TV 11 Jun 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's government says it is prepared to help Baghdad in its fight against terrorism, a day after the takeover of Iraq's Mosul by al-Qaeda-linked militants.
- Syrian gov't ready to help Iraq fight jihadist terror VoR 11 Jun 2014 -- The regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Wednesday it is willing to help Baghdad in the fight against 'terrorism,' a day after jihadists overran Iraq's second city Mosul. 'The foreign-backed terrorism that our brothers in Iraq are facing is the same that is targeting Syria,' said the foreign ministry.
- 'Dialogue' to define Assad's new term in office: paper People's Daily 11 Jun 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says national dialogue will characterize his new term in office, according to his recent interview with the Lebanese al-Akhbar newspaper published Wednesday.
- Syria army tightens noose around militants Iran Press TV 11 Jun 2014 -- The Syrian army has stepped up its operations against the foreign-backed Takfiri militants operating inside Syria, inflicting heavy losses on them.
- Syria troops find militants' tunnel near capital Iran Press TV 10 Jun 2014 -- Syrian army units have found a secret tunnel in the countryside of Damascus that was used by foreign-backed militants to transfer forces and arms in and out of the capital's suburbs.
- Syrian president announces general amnesty Iran Press TV 09 Jun 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has issued a decree granting a 'general amnesty' for crimes committed during the Syria crisis which erupted in 2011.
- Syrian President Assad Declares General Amnesty RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad declared a general amnesty shortly after being reelected for another presidential term, AFP reported Monday citing state TV.
- Syrian Kurds Under Increased Pressure From Jihadists VOA 07 Jun 2014 -- Following military successes earlier this year against jihadist fighters, an ethnic Kurdish militia that has been carving out a de facto Kurdish state in northeastern Syria is now facing a renewed challenge from a powerful al-Qaida offshoot.
- Hezbollah Chief: No Solution to Syrian Conflict Without Assad VOA 06 Jun 2014 -- The head of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah says this week's re-election of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad proves that any political solution to the country's bloody conflict 'begins and ends' with Assad.
- Syrian troops make fresh advances near Damascus Iran Press TV 06 Jun 2014 -- The Syrian army has made new gains in the Damascus countryside as foreign-backed militants continue their atrocities in the country.
- China urges political settlement on Syria issue People's Daily 05 Jun 2014 -- China on Thursday called for all parties involved to adhere to a political settlement on the Syria issue after the country's incumbent President Bashar al-Assad was reelected.
- Supporters of Syria militants to lose power: Assad Iran Press TV 05 Jun 2014 -- President Bashar al-Assad says the clout of supporters of terrorists operating inside Syria is in decline.
- Rising levels of violence in Syria resulting in growing humanitarian needs – UN official UN News Centre 04 Jun 2014 -- The demand by the Security Council for aid access to war-torn Syria has not produced the intended result, the United Nations humanitarian chief said today, while warning that the needs of those affected are rising steadily as the conflict rages on.
- Syria's Assad Wins Presidential Election by Landslide VOA 04 Jun 2014 -- As expected, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has won a third seven-year term in office, with a reported 89 percent of the vote. Voting took place Tuesday in parts of Syria controlled by the government, but was boycotted by opposition groups in areas they control. Officials say voter turnout was 73 percent.
- UN, Humanitarian Group Seek to Step Up Syria Aid VOA 04 Jun 2014 -- The United Nations' humanitarian chief said Wednesday that a Security Council resolution aimed at expanding the reach of humanitarian aid in Syria is not working, while violence continues to rise in the country. Separately, the head of the mission to eliminate Syria's chemical weapons said they will not meet the June 30 deadline for the elimination of all chemical agents.
- As Syria deadline nears, OPCW-UN mission focuses on swift removal of remaining chemicals UN News Centre 04 Jun 2014 -- Given that the 30 June 2014 deadline for the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons programme will not be met, the focus now is on the immediate removal of the remaining materials, the head of the Joint Mission of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and the United Nations (OPCW-UN) said today.
- UN, OPCW press Syria on chemical weapons 'discrepancies' VoR 04 Jun 2014 -- Inspectors overseeing the destruction of Syria's chemical weapons arsenal have asked President Bashar al-Assad's government to clarify disparities in its original declaration on its cache of toxic gas, UN diplomats said on Wednesday. The envoys were citing remarks by Sigrid Kaag, head of the joint mission to Syria of the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, who was briefing the 15-nation UN Security Council.
- US Calls Syria Election a 'Disgrace' VOA 03 Jun 2014 -- U.S. State Department Spokeswoman Marie Harf described Syria's presidential election Tuesday as 'a disgrace,' saying President Bashar al-Assad 'has no more credibility today that he did yesterday.'
- NATO's Rasmussen Says Allies Never Recognize Outcome of Syria Vote RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2014 -- All the allies of the NATO do not recognize the results of the presidential election in Syria, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Tuesday.
- Syrian Opposition Says No Voting in Rebel-Controlled Areas VOA 03 Jun 2014 -- Syrians in parts of the country under government control are voting Tuesday in an election expected to give President Bashar al Assad a third seven-year term. Opposition leaders have denounced the vote, calling it a "farce", and no voting will take place in those regions of the country under rebel control.
- Syrians Vote With Little Contest Expected for Assad VOA 03 Jun 2014 -- Syria is holding presidential elections Tuesday, despite a deadly civil war that has left millions of Syrians unable or unwilling to vote.
- Losing Election Not an Option For Syrian President VOA 02 Jun 2014 -- As Syrians go to the polls this week amid civil war, the presidential victor is all but assured: Bashar al-Assad.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list