Hague reiterates support for US on Syria war
Iran Press TV
Sun Sep 8, 2013 12:57PM GMT
British Foreign Secretary William Hague has reiterated support for the US on a military strike against Syria while claiming that London is not "gung ho" for a war on the Arab country.
Speaking on BBC1's Andrew Marr Show on Sunday, Hague said the US remained 'very committed' to the so-called special relationship despite a Commons No vote on Syria attack on August 29.
He also stressed that a second parliamentary vote on the country's involvement in a potential military intervention in Syria would be considered if circumstances changed "dramatically".
Moreover, he acknowledged that there was "a lot of public unease" in the UK about intervention overseas in the wake of its involvement in the Iraq war.
'Be reassured that we have learned lessons of Iraq. We are not seeking to be drawn into wars in the Middle East. We now make decisions in a completely different way," Hague said.
The British foreign secretary is expected to hold talks in London on September 8 with US Secretary of State John Kerry as Washington seeks to muster support for its war plans.
Earlier this week, in a meeting with leaders of the so-called Syrian National Coalition (SNC) in London, Hague expressed the UK's support for the opposition group and claimed it is "the sole legitimate representatives of the Syrian people".
Recently, he also said London will provide its allies with diplomatic and political support for a potential foreign military intervention in Syria.
The war rhetoric against Syria intensified after foreign-backed opposition forces accused President Bashar al-Assad's government of having launched a chemical attack on militant strongholds in the suburbs of Damascus on August 21.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|