Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2013 - Syria Special Weapons News
- US to Give Aid Directly to Syrian Rebels for 1st Time RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2013 -- The US will send the Syrian opposition an additional $60 million and for the first time, provide rebel forces with direct aid meant to pressure Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to step down, US Secretary of State John Kerry said Thursday.
- US to Provide $60 Million for Syrian Opposition VOA 28 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Thursday announced $60 million in additional aid to the Syrian opposition and also for the first time an unspecified amount of non-lethal aid to some of its military forces.
- Reports: US Considering Directly Aiding Syrian Rebels VOA 27 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is reportedly close to announcing a major policy shift to expand non-lethal assistance to Syrian rebels. The issue will be addressed in Rome on Thursday where nations supporting the Syrian opposition will gather.
- Kerry: Syrian Opposition Needs More Help VOA 27 Feb 2013 -- Amid reports Washington is considering offering military assistance to Syrian rebels, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says Syria's opposition needs more help from the international community to oust President Bashar al-Assad.
- Kerry hints renewed US efforts to intervene in Syria Iran Press TV 27 Feb 2013 -- New US Secretary of State John Kerry has underlined American 'determination' to intervene in Syria in favor of foreign-backed opposition forces seeking removal of the Damascus government.
- 150,000 Syrians fled from crisis in February alone, UN says Iran Press TV 27 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations says that only a record 150,000 people have fled from violence in Syria so far in February.
- US vows major expansion of its support for armed militants in Syria Iran Press TV 27 Feb 2013 -- The US is planning a major expansion of its support for terrorist gangs in Syria engaged in a foreign-backed armed insurgency aimed at toppling the government of President Bashar al-Assad.
- UN agency condemns attacks on Palestinian refugees in Syria UN News Centre 27 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations today strongly condemned attacks on Palestinian children in Syria and renewed its call on all parties to the conflict in the Middle Eastern country to cease violence in residential areas to prevent harming refugees and civilians.
- Kerry, Lavrov to Discuss Syria VOA 26 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is set to meet in Berlin with his Russian counterpart, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, for talks expected to focus on future prospects for war-torn Syria.
- Kerry, Lavrov Tackle Syria, Adoptions in ‘Constructive’ Talks RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- The United States and Russia will do “everything possible” to facilitate a dialogue between the Syrian government and the armed opposition, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Kerry, Lavrov Seek Common Ground on Syria VOA 26 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov held lengthy talks in Berlin, seeking common ground on how to deal with the civil war in Syria and other issues of contention.
- Kerry hints renewed US efforts to intervene in Syria PressTV 26 Feb 2013 -- New US Secretary of State John Kerry has underlined American ‘determination’ to intervene in Syria in favor of foreign-backed opposition forces seeking removal of the Damascus government.
- Russia condemns Syria opp. extremists PressTV 26 Feb 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has condemned “extremists” in Syria opposition who blocked the start of dialogue to end months-long conflict in the Arab country.
- Fierce Fighting Near Historic Aleppo Mosque VOA 26 Feb 2013 -- Fierce fighting has broken out between Syrian government forces and rebels near a historic mosque in Aleppo.
- Dozens Killed In Aleppo Fighting RFE/RL 26 Feb 2013 -- Dozens of rebels and Syrian government troops have reportedly been killed in fighting near a police academy in Syria's northern province of Aleppo.
- Syrian Government Ready For Talks With Rebel Fighters RFE/RL 26 Feb 2013 -- Syria has offered to hold talks with the armed rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
- Syrian army clears more districts of militants PressTV 26 Feb 2013 -- The Syrian army has cleared several neighborhoods in the capital and the northern city of Aleppo of militants fighting against the government.
- Saudis supply militants in Syria with Croatian arms: Report PressTV 26 Feb 2013 -- A new report has revealed that Saudi Arabia has supplied foreign-backed militants in Syria with large cargos of infantry and heavy weapons through Jordan.
- Displacement in Syria giving way for serious gender-based crimes, warns UN official UN News Centre 26 Feb 2013 -- A senior official with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees warned of the enormous humanitarian impact of the ongoing Syria crisis.
- 25 Russians Evacuated From Syria’s Aleppo RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Embassy in Syria evacuated 25 Russian nationals from the northern city of Aleppo, where fierce clashes continue between government forces and rebels.
- Kerry Urges Syrian Opposition To Come To Rome, Warns Of 'Terrible Consequences' On Iran RFE/RL 25 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has urged the Syrian opposition to reconsider its threat to boycott talks with foreign powers scheduled for later this week in Rome.
- Kerry Issues Blunt Warnings to Syria, Iran VOA 25 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has sent a stern warning to both Iran and Syria, telling the governments of both countries they will have to embrace change or suffer the consequences.
- UN Human Rights Council Concerned About Syria VOA 25 Feb 2013 -- Gross and systematic human rights violations around the world, including torture, arbitrary detention and disappearances will come under review by the United Nations Human Rights Council during the next four weeks.
- Foreign powers send influx of arms to militants in Syria: Report Iran Press TV 24 Feb 2013 -- The foreign-backed militants in Syria have reportedly been supplied with a large new consignment of weapons, including heavy armaments, over the recent weeks.
- UK urges Syrian opposition coalition not to reject talks Iran Press TV 24 Feb 2013 -- Britain calls on the foreign-backed Syria opposition coalition to reconsider pulling out of international talks on the crisis, after the group said it would not attend the upcoming Friends of Syria meeting in Rome and scheduled talks in Washington and Moscow.
- Foreign-backed militants responsible for Syria violence: Assad Iran Press TV 24 Feb 2013 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has blamed foreign-backed militants for almost two years of violence in his country, saying the government forces are only retaliating terrorist attacks.
- Syrian Troops Target Rebels in Damascus, Aleppo VOA 24 Feb 2013 -- Syrian opposition activists say government warplanes have attacked rebel districts in Damascus and Aleppo, while rebels captured a suspected former nuclear site destroyed by Israeli warplanes in 2007.
- Syrian Opposition Says 'No' To Conference RFE/RL 23 Feb 2013 -- The main Syrian opposition group says it has turned down invitations to visit Moscow and Washington.
- Syrian Opposition to Form Government in Rebel Areas VOA 22 Feb 2013 -- Syria's Opposition National Coalition has announced plans to form a provisional government in rebel-held areas of the country.
- Death Toll Rises in Damascus Blasts VOA 22 Feb 2013 -- A Syrian expatriate rights group says a series of bombings in Damascus has killed at least 83 people, including more than 60 near the headquarters of the nation's ruling Ba'ath party.
- Failed Services, Infectious Diseases Threaten Syria VOA 21 Feb 2013 -- First there is the ongoing civil war. Now freezing winter weather is further threatening the health of hundreds of thousands of Syrians driven from their homes by the fighting and forced to take shelter in the nation's mosques, empty schools and abandoned construction sites.
- Syria Dominates Kerry's First Trip Abroad as Secretary of State VOA 21 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry leaves Sunday for Europe and the Middle East - his first trip abroad as America's top diplomat.The conflict in Syria tops Kerry's agenda.
- Diseases spreading in Syria as WASH systems collapse IRIN 21 Feb 2013 -- In Salqin, a small town in Syria's northeastern governorate of Idlib, three members of the Islamist rebel group Ahrar al Sham are lying sick with a contagious fever characterized by an inflammation of the intestinal tract.
- Car Bombing Kills Scores in Syrian Capital VOA 21 Feb 2013 -- Syrian state media say at least 53 people have been killed and more than 200 wounded in a car bombing near the headquarters of Syria's ruling Ba'ath Party in central Damascus.
- Lavrov Offers Russia As Platform For Syrian Dialogue RFE/RL 20 Feb 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says his country is still prepared to act as a platform for talks between Syria's government and the opposition.
- Government Airstrike Destroys Damascus City Block VOA 20 Feb 2013 -- A Syrian government airstrike over a Damascus suburb on Wednesday destroyed parts of a city block, killing or wounding dozens. The strike came amid intensified government shelling of rebel-held districts in and around the capital in recent days.
- Russia to Evacuate More Nationals From Syria RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2013 -- Two Russian Emergencies Ministry planes will deliver humanitarian aid to Syria on Tuesday and evacuate Russians and nationals of former Soviet republics from the war-stricken Middle East country, an Emergencies Ministry official said.
- Arms Supplies to Syrian Rebels Expanding - Moscow RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2013 -- Foreign military supplies to Syria's armed opposition have been growing, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov said on Tuesday.
- Securing access to millions of Syrians in need a major challenge – UN official UN News Centre 19 Feb 2013 -- Humanitarian agencies are trying to keep up with the rising needs stemming from the ongoing conflict in Syria, the top United Nations relief official said today, while noting that limited access is preventing everyone who requires assistance from receiving it.
- Activists Say Syrian Missile Hit Aleppo VOA 19 Feb 2013 -- Syrian opposition activists say a missile attack late Monday leveled several buildings in the northern commercial city of Aleppo. They say at least 19 people were killed in the strike on the city's Jabal Badro district. The dead include women and children.
- Russia supplies only defensive weapons to Syria - official Voice of Russia 19 Feb 2013 -- Russia will continue fulfilling its contractual obligations as part of military-technological cooperation with Syria as long as international sanctions in relation to this country are absent, Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, deputy director of the Russian Federal Service for Military-Technological Cooperation, said.
- Russia sends four more warships to Mediterranean Sea near Syria Iran Press TV 19 Feb 2013 -- A flotilla of four Russian warships is heading to the Mediterranean Sea near the Syrian waters, Russian Defense Ministry says.
- Assad says confident of winning Syria conflict Iran Press TV 18 Feb 2013 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says he is confident that the country's Army will win the conflict against the foreign-backed militants who are fighting the government.
- Syria ready for talks with opposition: Reconciliation Minister Iran Press TV 18 Feb 2013 -- Syrian Minister for National Reconciliation Ali Haidar has reiterated the Syrian government's readiness to hold talk with all opposition groups.
- EU Renews Syria Sanctions, Makes Amends To Protect Civilians RFE/RL 18 Feb 2013 -- The European Union has renewed sanctions against Syria, while amending them to enable member states to provide more 'nonlethal' support to help protect civilians.
- Independent UN panel urges action amid ongoing human rights abuses in Syria conflict UN News Centre 18 Feb 2013 -- A United Nations independent panel investigating human rights violations in Syria today called for urgent action to ensure justice for the crimes committed, adding that it will submit a list of names next month of those believed to be most responsible for the atrocities.
- UN Rights Inquiry Alleges Syrian War Crimes VOA 18 Feb 2013 -- A United Nations Commission of Inquiry on Monday alleged possible crimes of war by both pro- and anti-government supporters in Syria.
- Russian FM Says Moscow Not Smuggling Tank Parts to Syria RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2013 -- Following Finland's seizure last week of tank parts reportedly bound for Syria from Russia, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that Moscow had not tried to smuggle arms components to Syria via Finland.
- Lavrov, Kerry Talk Syria Settlement, North Korea Test RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his US counterpart John Kerry discussed measures to end the Syrian crisis, and also Pyongyang's third nuclear test, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
- 'Syria Army deals heavy blow to militants' Iran Press TV 17 Feb 2013 -- The Syrian Army says it has inflicted heavy losses on foreign-sponsored militants who are fighting against the government of President Bashar al-Assad in several parts of the country.
- 'UNHCR yet to receive funds for Syrians' Iran Press TV 17 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations refugee agency says it has not received the recently-pledged funds for the Syrians displaced during nearly the two year of violence in the Arab country.
- Brahimi Urges Syria's Government, Opposition to Meet at UN Offices VOA 17 Feb 2013 -- International peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi is urging Syria's government and opposition to meet on U.N. premises to discuss a political solution to the two-year rebellion against President Bashar al-Assad.
- Red Cross: Syria 'Catastrophic' RFE/RL 16 Feb 2013 -- The Red Cross says the humanitarian situation in Syria is now "catastrophic."
- Finnish Customs Seizes Syria-Bound Tank Parts RIA Novosti 16 Feb 2013 -- Finnish authorities are investigating a suspected attempt to deliver tank parts from Russia to Syria in breach of EU regulations, the Finnish Customs said on Friday.
- NATO Reassures Russia Over Turkey Patriot Deployment RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- NATO representatives have assured Russia the deployment of Patriot missile systems in Turkey is not preparation for an offensive operation against Syria.
- Syrian Rebel Town Empties After Government Bombing VOA 15 Feb 2013 -- The Syrian government's bombing and shelling campaign in rebel-held areas and elsewhere in the country has caused tens of thousands to flee their homes.
- No Russian Troops in Syria Says Foreign Minister RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- There are no Russian troops in Syria apart from several dozen technical staff at the Tartus naval support facility, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- John Kerry Has No Plans to Visit Syria – US State Dept. RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- The United States does not plan to hold talks with Syrian President Bashar Assad on the regional settlement, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.
- Health Crisis Threatens Displaced Syrians VOA 15 Feb 2013 -- The estimated two million people displaced by Syria's civil war are fighting health issues in the heart of winter.
- Syria’s Civil War Could Drag On Much Longer VOA 14 Feb 2013 -- For more than a year, Syria experts have been predicting the imminent fall of the 42-year-old Assad regime.
- Syrian Opposition Denies Leader's Plan to Visit Moscow RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- Syria's opposition coalition denied on Thursday that its leader, Moaz al-Khatib, is due to visit Moscow.
- Syrian Foreign Ministry Ready for Reconciliation Talks in Syria RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- The Syrian Foreign Ministry said in a statement othat reconciliation talks with rebel forces should be held “on the Syrian soil.”
- Becoming refugees once more: Palestinians from Syria return to Gaza IRIN 14 Feb 2013 -- Ahmed Dweik’s family knows a thing or two about the refugee experience.
- Kerry: Syria's Assad Still Doesn't Realize He Has to Go VOA 13 Feb 2013 -- Secretary of State John Kerry says the United States has to change what he calls Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's "calculation" about his situation.
- Lebanese Fear Syria Civil War Spreading VOA 13 Feb 2013 -- The Lebanese have been bitterly divided over the civil war in Syria since it started two years ago, but now they worry that the fighting next door will spread into their own country, upsetting its fragile ethnic and religious balance.
- Russia Continuing Arms Sales to Syria VOA 13 Feb 2013 -- The head of Russia's state arms export agency says it is continuing to send weapons to the Syrian government, but that none of the equipment can be used offensively.
- Russia Vows To Continue Syria Arms Supply RFE/RL 13 Feb 2013 -- Russia’s state arms exporter says Moscow is still delivering weapons to Syria and has no intention to stop, despite the country's civil war.
- ‘No Warplanes’ for Syria Says Russian Arms Sales Boss RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2013 -- Russia’s state-run arms dealer Rosoboronexport is supplying air-defense missile systems and maintenance and servicing equipment to Syria but not combat aircraft.
- Ban condemns attack on Turkish-Syrian border UN News Centre 13 Feb 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban has condemned a deadly attack on the border between Syria and Turkey.
- US Shifts Syria Stance as Afghan Scenario Unfolds - Deputy RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2013 -- The United States is shifting toward Russia's position on Syria, in fear of a repeat of the "Afghan scenario" with an Islamist regime coming to power there.
- Displaced Syrians Struggle in Internal Camps VOA 13 Feb 2013 -- On a winter day in the Bab al-Salama camp in northern Syria, more than 10,000 Syrians are struggling to survive.
- Activists: Syrian Rebels Seize Military Air Base VOA 12 Feb 2013 -- Syrian activists say rebels opposed to President Bashar al-Assad have captured a military air base in northern Syria.
- Syrian Rebels Reportedly Capture Air Base RFE/RL 12 Feb 2013 -- Syrian activists say rebels fighting against the regime in Damascus have overrun a military air base in the northern province of Aleppo.
- UN Says Syria Death Toll Nearing 70,000 VOA 12 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations says the death toll from nearly two years of fighting in Syria is nearing 70,000.
- UN agencies provide food aid to Syrian refugees in Egypt UN News Centre 12 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations World Food Programme is feeding more than 7,000 Syrian refugees in Egypt through a newly-launched food voucher operation that is underway in other parts of the region.
- Imposition of Nonproliferation Sanctions Against Foreign Entities and Individuals US Dept. of State 11 Feb 2013
- Syrian Rebels Claim Control Of Country's Largest Dam RFE/RL 11 Feb 2013 -- Syrian activists say rebels fighting against the regime in Damascus have taken control of the country's largest dam on the Euphrates River in the province of Raqa.
- Blast Kills 12 at Syria-Turkey Border VOA 11 Feb 2013 -- The explosion of a car near the border between Turkey and Syria has killed at least 12 people and wounded nearly 30 others.
- UN-Arab League envoy and Syrian opposition leader hold talks in Cairo UN News Centre 11 Feb 2013 -- The Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and the League of Arab States for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, held a meeting in Cairo with Syrian opposition leader Moaz Al-Khatib.
- Syrian Opposition to Expand US Presence VOA 11 Feb 2013 -- Syria’s main opposition coalition will soon open an office in New York City, not far from the United Nations.
- Syria to Stick to Principles Despite Outside Pressure - Assad RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2013 -- Syria will never forgo its principles and cave in to outside pressure, President Bashar Assad said.
- UN Peace Envoy Discusses Syrian Opposition's Offer for Talks RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2013 -- The UN and Arab League's envoy for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, met with Syrian opposition chief Ahmed Moaz al-Khatib in Cairo on Sunday to discuss his offer to talk with the Syrian government, Al Mayadeen TV has reported.
- Russia Set for Contacts with Syria Opposition Offices in US RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2013 -- Russia is ready to meet with heads of the Syrian opposition offices, which are planned to be set up in Washington and New York, Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin said.
- Disruption of sanitation services in Syria putting children's health at risk – UNICEF UN News Centre 08 Feb 2013 -- The severe disruption of water and sanitation services and a lack of access to basic hygiene in Syria have increased the risk of water-borne diseases among children, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) today warned, following a nationwide assessment.
- Islamic Summit Ends With Call for Dialogue in Syria VOA 07 Feb 2013 -- Leaders of Muslim nations meeting in Cairo called Thursday for greater effort to bring the war in Syria to a negotiated end.
- First US Patriot battery under NATO command and control NATO 05 Feb 2013 -- On a hillside overlooking the city of Gaziantep, the US Patriot missile launchers were activated under NATO command and control today.
- Islamic Summit Leaders Urge Action on Mali, Syria VOA 06 Feb 2013 -- Leaders of Islamic nations meeting in Egypt's capital have called for a negotiated end to Syria's civil war and commended France for its military intervention in Mali against Islamist militants.
- UN warns of deepening humanitarian crisis in Syria UN News Centre 05 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations humanitarian arm today warned that the ongoing conflict in Syria, which will soon enter its third year, will lead to a sharp spike in the number of people needing urgent aid, including food, clean water and vital medical services.
- UN Struggles to Provide Medical Care for Syrians VOA 05 Feb 2013 -- The World Health Organization reports the health situation in Syria has progressively worsened over the last six months. And, a WHO representative in Syria says there has been a marked deterioration in the ability to provide health care to the civilian population over the past month.
- UN: Syrian Humanitarian Crisis 'Catastrophic' VOA 05 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations says the humanitarian crisis in Syria has reached 'catastrophic' proportions and is dramatically expanding its aid operation to reach one million more people.
- Larijani voices Iran's all-out support for Syria IRNA 04 Feb 2013 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani here Monday stressed Tehran's all-out support for the Syrian nation and government against the existing conspiracies.
- Syria: UN begins delivery of safe water supplies for 10 million people UN News Centre 04 Feb 2013 -- A large-scale operation is under way in Syria to secure safe water supplies for more than 10 million people – close to half the population, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) said today, amid reports that the quality and quantity of water is continuing to deteriorate with negative impacts for children's health.
- Iran: Israel Will 'Regret' Aggression Against Syria VOA 04 Feb 2013 -- A top Iranian official says Israel will regret its latest 'aggression' against Syria.
- Zionist regime's support for Syrian terrorist groups evident: Assad IRNA 04 Feb 2013 -- Zionist regime's recent air raid on Syria proved this regime's support for the terrorist groups, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Sunday.
- Syrian Government Bombs Aleppo District, Killing 16 VOA 03 Feb 2013 -- Syrian rights activists say government forces have bombarded a rebel-held district of the northern city of Aleppo, demolishing a residential building and killing at least 16 people.
- Assad Says Israel's Air Strike Aimed at 'Destabilizing' Syria RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2013 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Sunday the Israeli air strike on a military research center near Damascus aimed at destabilizing his country.
- Israel Hints at Responsibility for Syria Strike VOA 03 Feb 2013 -- Israel is suggesting for the first time that it may have been responsible for an air raid last week in Syria.
- Biden, in Munich, Holds Syria-related Meetings AFPS 02 Feb 2013 -- Vice President Joe Biden, attending the Munich Security conference, today met with United Nations and Arab League Joint Special Representative Lakhdar Brahimi on the conference's margins.
- Jalili: Syria enemies desperately attempt to hit resistance IRNA 02 Feb 2013 -- Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili said attacks against Syria infra-structures and continuation of economic sanctions are desperate efforts of enemies to hit resistance.
- Syrian Chemical Weapons Under Control - FM Lavrov RIA Novosti 02 Feb 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday that the Syrian authorities keep chemical weapons under control and spoke against the removal of President Bashar al-Assad.
- Russian Foreign Minister Meets Syrian Opposition Leader RIA Novosti 02 Feb 2013 -- Moscow still hopes the Syrian opposition will start negotiations with the national government, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said after a meeting with opposition leader Mouaz al-Khatib on the sidelines of a security conference in Munich on Saturday.
- Syria Opposition Leader Meets with Russian FM VOA 02 Feb 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has held his first direct talks with Syria's opposition leader on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference.
- Biden Warns Iran: Diplomacy Won't Last Forever VOA 01 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has warned Iran that time is running out for a diplomatic resolution of the conflict over its nuclear program.
- Syria Asks UN Security Council to Condemn Israeli Airstrikes RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2013 -- The Syrian Foreign Ministry sent a letter to the UN Security Council asking the organization to condemn Israeli air strikes on a military research center near Damascus.
- Russia Denies Rumors of Planned Talks with Syrian Opposition RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry denied reports claiming that a four-party meeting between Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, senior US and UN officials and a Syrian opposition leader is being set up on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference.
- Urgently-needed UN relief aid reaches northern Syria for first time UN News Centre 01 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations refugee agency this week delivered emergency winter aid for the first time to the Azzas area of northern Syria.
- UN Delivers Aid to Northern Syria VOA 01 Feb 2013 -- The United Nations refugee agency says it brought winter emergency relief this week to thousands of internally displaced people in northern Syria.
- Breakdown of Syria aid pledges in Kuwait IRIN 01 Feb 2013 -- The international community pledged more than US$1.5 billion in humanitarian aid to Syria on 30 January, in the most successful fundraising conference in UN history.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list