2008 Syria Special Weapons News
- IAEA Frustrated Over Lack of Transparency in Iran, Syria VOA 27 Nov 2008 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency expressed frustration Thursday that neither Iran nor Syria been completely transparent about their alleged nuclear activities.
- ElBaradei urges more nuclear transparency from Syria RIA Novosti 27 Nov 2008 -- The head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog urged Syria on Thursday to show maximum transparency to ease international concerns over its suspected nuclear weapons program.
- UN nuclear inspector calls on Syria, Israel to fully cooperate with probe UN News Centre 27 Nov 2008 -- The head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency today said “it is baffling” that satellite pictures necessary for his investigation into an alleged nuclear reactor site in Syria were not available, as he called for complete cooperation from all sides.
- US Hits IAEA's El-Baradei Over Syria Nuclear Assistance VOA 24 Nov 2008 -- The Bush administration has rebuked International Atomic Energy Agency Chief Mohamed ElBaradei over the U.N. agency's plans to help Syria with a civilian nuclear-power program.
- GOV/2008/60: Implementation of the NPT Safeguards Agreement in the Syrian Arab Republic International Atomic Energy Agency 19 Nov 2008
- IAEA: Syrian Uranium Traces Inconclusive VOA 17 Nov 2008 -- The chief of the U.N. nuclear agency confirms that traces of uranium were found at a suspected Syrian nuclear site, but says their source is not clear.
- Riot Fears Close U.S. Embassy In Damascus RFE/RL 30 Oct 2008 -- The U.S. Embassy has closed its doors in Damascus as thousands of people marched in protest against a U.S. raid on a Syrian village
- Syrian Ambassador Criticizes Suspected US Military Raid VOA 30 Oct 2008 -- The Syrian ambassador to the US lashed out at the Bush administration following a deadly suspected US military raid inside Syria.
- Syria Warns it May Close US Embassy VOA 29 Oct 2008 -- The US embassy in Syria's capital issued warning to Americans in country to be alert following raid on Syria that Damascus blames on US forces.
- US Embassy in Damascus May Close After Raid VOA 29 Oct 2008 -- The US embassy in the Syrian capital Damascus may be closed to the public indefinitely, following a raid in eastern Syria.
- Syria Protests Alleged US Raid on Syrian Border Town VOA 26 Oct 2008 -- Syrian officials are protesting a raid on the Syrian border village of Sukkariya, summoning the U.S. and Iraqi Charge d'affaires in Damascus.
- Syrian President Assad Signs Decree Establishing Diplomatic Relations With Lebanon VOA 14 Oct 2008 -- Syrian President al-Assad has given final approval to the establishment of diplomatic relations with Lebanon.
- Syria Massing Troops Along Border with Lebanon VOA 7 Oct 2008 -- Eyewitness reports say that Syria is continuing to mass troops along its border with Lebanon, prompting warning from the United States.
- Car Bomb Kills 17 in Syrian Capital VOA 27 Sep 2008 -- A car bomb has exploded in the Syrian capital, Damascus, killing at least 17 people and wounding 14 others.
- Syrian President Assad Hosts Four-Party Summit VOA 04 Sep 2008 -- The leaders of France, Syria, Turkey and Qatar met in Damascus Thursday to discuss the burning issues of peace between Israel and Syria, Iran's nuclear program, and the situation in Lebanon
- Sarkozy seeks Syrian help in Iran nuclear standoff RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2008 -- The French president has asked his Syrian counterpart to use his country's ties with Iran to ensure the Islamic Republic does not produce nuclear weapons, and urged Syria to seek direct peace talks with Israel.
- French President Visits Syria VOA 03 Sep 2008 -- French President Nicolas Sarkozy arrives in Damascus Wednesday, in the first visit to Syria by a Western head of state in five years
- France's Sarkozy to Meet With Syrian President in Damascus VOA 02 Sep 2008 -- French President Nicolas Sarkozy will fly to Damascus for meetings Wednesday with Syrian President Bashar Assad in an effort to restore diplomatic ties that were cut three years ago
- Syrian Leader Highlights Solidarity, Seeks Arms, In Visit To Russia RFE/RL 21 Aug 2008 -- Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad, in Russia on a two-day visit, backed Moscow's military action against Georgia at talks with President Dmitry Medvedev that were expected to cover purchases of Russian arms.
- Russia says ready to supply Syria with defensive weapons RIA Novosti 21 Aug 2008
- Syria says ready to consider Russian air defense deal - paper RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2008 -- Syria ready to discuss missile-defense systems on its territory, but it has not received proposals from Russia.
- Israel, Syria Agree to Continue Peace Talks in August VOA 30 Jul 2008 -- Turkish officials say Syria and Israel have completed a fourth round of indirect peace talks in Istanbul with an agreement to hold further negotiations next month.
- Iran seeks closer ties with Syria in countering external threats RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2008 -- Tension in the Mideast region requires active cooperation between Iran and Syria, the Iranian parliament speaker said Tuesday.
- Turkey Says Syria, Israel Show 'Will' for Peace VOA 16 Jul 2008 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Ali Babacan says Ankara believes both Israel and Syria have the "political will" to reach a peace agreement and end tensions between them.
- Assad Says Syria is 'Integral' to Resolving Mideast Problems VOA 13 Jul 2008 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says any country that wants to solve Middle East problems must hold talks with his government.
- UN team begins work to verify Syrian nuclear reactor claim UN News Centre 23 Jun 2008 -- A team from the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency has arrived in Syria to probe allegations that an installation destroyed by Israel last September was a nuclear reactor.
- Wide Gaps Emerge in New Israel-Syria Peace Talks VOA 03 Jun 2008 -- Wide gaps have emerged in new negotiations between Israel and Syria
- Syrian President Says US Sponsorship Critical for Talks With Israel VOA 03 Jun 2008 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says the United States will have to be involved if Syria and Israel are to sign a lasting peace agreement.
- UN nuclear watchdog chief dispatches team to Syria UN News Centre 02 Jun 2008 -- The head of the United Nations atomic watchdog announced today that he is sending a team to visit Syria this month after expressing regret that his agency had not received information sooner alleging that a Syrian installation destroyed by Israel last year was a nuclear reactor.
- US Urges Syrian Cooperation with Nuclear Inspectors VOA 02 Jun 2008 -- The United States Monday urged Syria to fully cooperate with an International Atomic Energy Agency investigation of charges it was secretly trying to build a nuclear reactor
- France's Sarkozy Resumes Contact With Syria VOA 29 May 2008 -- France says President Nicolas Sarkozy telephoned his Syrian counterpart Thursday to discuss recent political developments in Lebanon and peace negotiations with Israel.
- Olmert Says Peace Talks with Syria Are 'Serious' and 'Secret' VOA 25 May 2008 -- New peace talks between Israel and Syria topped the agenda at the weekly Cabinet meeting in Jerusalem
- Israel in peace talks with Syria RIA Novosti 21 May 2008 -- Israel is holding indirect peace talks with Syria with the mediation of Turkey, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's office said in a statement Wednesday.
- Israel, Syria Confirm Holding Peace Talks Mediated by Turkey VOA 21 May 2008 -- Both Israel and Syria confirmed on Wednesday they are holding indirect peace talks mediated by Turkish officials
- Syrian military delegation arrives in Moscow RIA Novosti 19 May 2008 -- A group of Syrian military officials arrived in Moscow on Monday to discuss prospects for bilateral military and technical cooperation, a Russian Air Force spokesman said.
- Middle East: Are Iran, Syria Playing Any Roles In Lebanon Fighting? RFE/RL 12 May 2008 -- The resurgence of violence in Lebanon has again raised the question of the motives and aims of Iran and Syria, which support Hizballah, one of the groups involved in the fighting
- Analysis: The Syrian Nuclear Puzzle cfr.org 01 May 2008 -- On matters of nonproliferation, policymakers and weapons inspectors share a disdain for secrets
- Bush Reveals Reasons for Disclosure of Syrian Nuclear Program VOA 30 Apr 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush says the recent disclosure to members of Congress about alleged nuclear cooperation between North Korea and Syria was meant to send a tough message to both countries.
- Bush Defends Late Disclosure Of Syria-N. Korean Nuclear Link VOA 29 Apr 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush says last week's intelligence briefings to Congress on the Syrian-North Korean nuclear link were designed to send a message to North Korea
- Alleged Syria-North Korea Nuclear Cooperation Raises Questions VOA 28 Apr 2008 -- U.S. intelligence officials last week outlined details of what they said was North Korean nuclear assistance to Syria
- US Envoy Says Syria Evidence Highlights Need For N. Korea Nuclear Verification VOA 28 Apr 2008 -- The United States Ambassador to South Korea says the public disclosure of nuclear cooperation between Syria and North Korea should not impact talks aimed at ending the North's nuclear weapons program
- US Lawmakers Criticize Bush Administration Over Intelligence on Syria VOA 27 Apr 2008 -- U.S. legislators of both political parties are criticizing the Bush administration for only recently disclosing intelligence it possessed about an alleged secret Syrian nuclear reactor that Israel bombed last year
- UN nuclear agency to probe claim on Syrian installation bombed by Israel UN News Centre 25 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations atomic watchdog pledged today to conduct an investigation after receiving information from the United States alleging that a Syrian installation destroyed by Israel last year contained a nuclear reactor.
- Syria Promises to Cooperate With IAEA VOA 25 Apr 2008 -- Syria's U.N. envoy says his country will continue to cooperate with the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency, as he again dismissed U.S. allegations that North Korea was helping Syria build a secret nuclear reactor
- Mullen: Nuclear Project Reaffirms Proliferation Dangers AFPS 25 Apr 2008 -- Syria's building of a secret nuclear facility with North Korean help reinforces the need to prevent the spread of weapons of mass destruction, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said today.
- U.S. gives 'proof' that N.Korea helped build Syrian nuclear plant RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2008 -- The United States has released previously classified video and photographic evidence that it said proves North Korea helped Syria build a nuclear reactor.
- UN Official Criticizes US for Withholding Syrian Nuclear Intelligence VOA 25 Apr 2008 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency has criticized the United States for withholding intelligence the U.S. says shows North Korea was helping Syria build a nuclear reactor.
- Transcript: Background Briefing with Senior U.S. Officials on Syria's Covert Nuclear Reactor and North Korea's Involvement Office of the Director of National Intelligence 24 Apr 2008
- Statement by the Press Secretary The White House 24 Apr 2008
- US Lawmakers Discuss North Korea's Possible Nuclear Ties to Syria VOA 24 Apr 2008 -- U.S. officials briefed members of Congress Thursday on intelligence indicating that North Korea may have provided nuclear assistance to Syria
- Bush, Abbas Meet on Mideast Peace Efforts VOA 24 Apr 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas met at the White House Thursday to discuss Mideast peace efforts
- Syria Says Israel Willing to Return Golan Heights for Peace VOA 24 Apr 2008 -- In an interview published in a Mideast newspaper, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said Turkey is mediating between Israel and Syria on a possible peace deal.
- US Lawmakers to See Video of North Korean Assistance at Syrian Nuclear Site VOA 24 Apr 2008 -- U.S. intelligence officials will meet with congressional lawmakers on Capitol Hill Thursday to discuss North Korea's alleged nuclear cooperation with Syria.
- US Secretary of State Rejects Immunity for Syria in Hariri Probe VOA 09 Apr 2008 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Wednesday rejected the notion of excusing Syrian leaders from scrutiny in the 2005 assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri
- Syria Plans Emergency Drill amid Fears of War with Israel VOA 09 Apr 2008 -- Syria is beefing up security on its home front in a sign of escalating tension with Israel
- Syria says offer made to trade Lebanon polls for UN investigation RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2008 -- Syria has said it has rejected an offer to freeze a UN investigation into the assassination of ex-Lebanese premier Rafik Hariri in exchange for 'allowing' presidential polls in Lebanon.
- Cheney Accuses Hamas, Syria and Iran of Trying to Torpedo Mideast Peace VOA 24 Mar 2008 -- U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney said Monday that Hamas militants, backed by Syria and Iran are trying to "torpedo" current peace negotiations between Israel and moderate Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|