UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)

Iran Press TV

3 KSA border attackers identified as Saudi nationals: Ministry

Iran Press TV

Fri Jan 9, 2015 5:56PM

Three of the four gunmen involved in a cross-border attack in Saudi Arabia have been identified as Saudi nationals, the kingdom's Interior Ministry says.

Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Mansour al-Turki, revealed the names of the three militants in a statement which was issued on Friday.

The spokesman said the militants were in possession of grenades, pistols, rifles, tracking devices and significant sums of money in US, Syrian, Iraqi and Saudi currencies.

Saudi authorities are working on the identity of the fourth militant and have not confirmed his identity yet, Turki added.

On Monday, the four gunmen attacked a Saudi security patrol in the Swiff crossing in the Arar region near the Iraqi border, killing a senior officer and two soldiers and wounding at least three others.

All four gunmen were also killed in the Monday attack.

No group has claimed responsibility for the deadly attack yet.

Arar region borders Iraq's volatile Anbar Province, where the ISIL Takfiris have been actively operating.

ISIL terrorists are currently in control of large areas across Syria and Iraq where they have been carrying out horrific acts of violence, including public decapitations and crucifixions, against different Iraqi and Syrian communities such as Shias, Sunnis, Kurds, and Christians.

Saudi Arabia stepped up security on the frontier in July last year and deployed thousands of extra troops to support the border guards force after the ISIL terror group seized swathes of territory in Iraq, including Anbar Province.

This comes as senior Iraqi officials have blamed Saudi Arabia, Qatar and some other Persian Gulf Arab states for the escalating terrorism in their country.

IA/HMV/SS



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list