Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2011 Saudi Arabia Special Weapons News
- F-15 Sale to Saudi Arabia Part of Broader Effort AFPS 31 Dec 2011 -- The recently announced $29.4 billion sale of F-15SA fighter aircraft to Saudi Arabia is just one part of a broader U.S.-Saudi military sales and defense cooperation effort that's central to regional security, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said.
- Boeing Statement on Saudi Arabia Purchase Agreement Boeing 29 Dec 2011 -- Boeing Chairman, President and CEO Jim McNerney today welcomed the announcement by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia that it has reached an agreement to purchase from the U.S. government 84 new Boeing F-15 fighter aircraft and to upgrade 70 of its existing F-15s.
- U.S. to Sell F-15 Fighters to Saudi Arabia AFPS 29 Dec 2011 -- The United States will sell 84 new F-15 fighter jets and upgrades for 70 existing aircraft to Saudi Arabia under a nearly $29.4 billion agreement, U.S. officials announced today.
- U.S. inks $29.4 bln F-15 deal with Saudi Arabia RIA Novosti 29 Dec 2011 -- The U.S. has concluded a $29.4 billion deal with Saudi Arabia to supply 84 new F-15 fighter jets and upgrade 70 other F-15s already in service with the Saudi air force, White House Principal Deputy Press Secretary Joshua Earnest said.
- Saudi Arabia to buy 270 German Leopard 2 tanks: daily IRNA 07 Dec 2011 -- Saudi Arabia is to buy 270 German-made Leopard 2 tanks, the Hamburg-based weekly newspaper Die Zeit reported Wednesday.
- UN condemns Saudi ambassador's assassination plot RIA Novosti 19 Nov 2011 -- The UN General Assembly has approved a resolution condemning an assassination attempt on the Saudi ambassador in Washington, which U.S. says could be plotted by Iranian special forces.
- Prince Salman named Saudi new Defense Minister RIA Novosti 05 Nov 2011 -- Prince Salman bin Abdul Aziz was named Saudi Arabia's new defense minister, SPA news agency reported on Saturday.
- How Might Saudi Arabia Retaliate Against Iran For Alleged Plot? RFE/RL 24 Oct 2011 -- Iran's alleged plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States - on U.S. soil - brought swift vows of revenge from Riyadh.
- Leaders Express Sympathy at Crown Prince's Passing AFPS 23 Oct 2011 -- U.S. leaders expressed their sympathy to the Saudi royal family and all Saudi Arabians on the death of Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdul Aziz yesterday.
- SECDEF Statement on Crown Prince Sultan DoD 22 Oct 2011
- Saudi crown prince dies aged 83 RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2011 -- Saudi Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdul Aziz al-Saud died at age 83 in a New York hospital after a long illness with intestinal cancer, Saudi Arabia's official news agency SPA said on Saturday.
- Saudi Arabian Crown Prince is Dead VOA 22 Oct 2011 -- Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdul-Aziz has died. The half-brother of King Abdullah was in his mid-80's and died in New York City, where he had gone for treatment of recurring medical problems.
- German police training Saudi secret service IRNA 20 Jul 2011 -- Germany's federal police are also involved in training Saudi secret service officers.
- Saudi Arabia to build 16 nuclear reactors by 2030 RIA Novosti 01 Jun 2011 -- Saudi Arabia is planning to build 16 nuclear reactors by 2030, Arab media reported on Wednesday citing an official in the country's nuclear agency.
- Anniston Army Depot upgrading tanks for Saudis Army News 12 May 2011 -- Anniston Army Depot is upgrading 57 M1 Abrams tanks for Saudi Arabia's Royal Saudi Land Forces through a partnership with General Dynamics Land Systems' facility at Lima Army Tank Plant in Ohio.
- Saudi navy Commander, Zardari discuss defence ties IRNA 25 Apr 2011 -- Pakistani President Zardari received Vice-Admiral Dakheel Allah Bin Ahmed Al Waqdani, Commander, Royal Saudi Naval Forces.
- Majlis: Saudi should not play with fire IRNA 31 Mar 2011 -- Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission issued its second statement to warn Saudi Arabia not to play with fire in the Persian Gulf and advised Saudis to pull their forces out of Bahrain.
- Saudis Say Not Yet Ready For Women Voting RFE/RL 29 Mar 2011 -- Authorities in Saudi Arabia say they are not yet ready for women citizens voting in elections in the Gulf Arab kingdom.
- Saudi King Promises Reform, Offers Residents Cash VOA 18 Mar 2011 -- Saudi Arabia's king, seeking to keep unrest sweeping the Arab world at bay, promised reforms on Friday and cash incentives to residents.
- Saudi Troops Enter Bahrain to Help Rulers Boost Security VOA 14 Mar 2011 -- Saudi Arabian officials say Saudi troops have entered the neighboring island state of Bahrain to help its minority Sunni rulers.
- Gulf Military Force Enters Bahrain RFE/RL 14 Mar 2011 -- A military force from Saudi Arabia and other Gulf nations entered Bahrain today following continuing unrest in the island nation.
- Riyadh confirms dispatch of 1,000 troops to Bahrain IRNA 14 Mar 2011 -- A Saudi official on Monday confirmed that his country dispatched some 1,000 troops to Bahrain as part of a plan dubbed ‘Shield Force of Peninsula’.
- Japan to help Saudi Arabia build nuclear power plants RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2011 -- Japan and Saudi Arabia agreed on Saturday to cooperate in building nuclear power plants, Japanese officials said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list