18 August 2022 - Russia Special Weapons News
Defense Policy / Programs
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00, on August 18, 2022 Ukraine MOD 18 Aug 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00, on August 18, 2022 Ukraine MOD 18 Aug 2022
- Ukraine Says Kherson Attack Repelled, Kharkiv Hit By Deadly Russian Bombing RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- Ukraine's military says that its forces have beaten back a Russian attack in the southern region of Kherson, while shelling by Moscow's forces in the northeastern city of Kharkiv killed seven people and wounded 16.
- Russia Calls UN Proposal To Demilitarize Zaporizhzhya Nuclear Plant 'Unacceptable' RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- Moscow has rejected a proposal by United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres to demilitarize the area around the Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant in southern Ukraine.
- Ukraine preparing 'provocation' during UN chief's visit to nuclear plant: Russia Press TV 18 Aug 2022 -- Russia has accused Ukraine of planning a "provocation" at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, which is under Russian control.
- Russian MoD: Kiev Preparing Provocation at Zaporozhye NPP During UN Secretary General's Visit Sputnik 18 Aug 2022 -- Earlier this month, the Russian Foreign Ministry slammed the Ukrainian army's shelling of the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant as an "act of nuclear terrorism".
Defense Policy / Programs
- Meeting on developing shipbuilding industry President of Russia 18 Aug 2022 -- The President held a meeting, via videoconference, on developing the shipbuilding industry.
- Russia relocates three warplanes to Kaliningrad near Lithuania Press TV 18 Aug 2022 -- The Russian army has relocated three warplanes equipped with nuclear-capable hypersonic missiles to its exclave of Kaliningrad on the coast of the Baltic Sea, with the goal of being on "round-the-clock combat duty," according to Russia's Defense Ministry.
- Moscow Reportedly Moves Three Warplanes With Hypersonic Missiles To Kaliningrad Exclave RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has deployed three MiG-31E warplanes equipped with Kinzhal hypersonic missiles to the far western Kaliningrad exclave, according to Russian media.
- State Dept: US Prepared to Begin Negotiating New Arms Control Framework If Russia Willing Sputnik 18 Aug 2022 -- The United States is prepared to begin negotiating a new arms control framework with Russia once the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (New START) expires if Moscow is willing to engage, State Department spokesman Ned Price said on Thursday.
- Russia Begins Supplies of Second S-400 Regiment to Turkey: Defense Cooperation Agency Sputnik 18 Aug 2022 -- Russia has started the supplies of the second regiment of its S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems to Turkey after the signing of a relevant contract, Russian Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation (FSMTC) Director Dmitry Shugaev told Sputnik on Thursday.
- China to join Vostok-2022 Russia with other countries; closer China-Russia ties 'crucial to defend global stability to counter US hegemony' Global Times 18 Aug 2022 -- Chinese troops will go to Russia to participate in the joint military exercises Vostok-2022 with Russia and other countries, according to China's Defense Ministry and experts pointed out that one focus of this year's combined training is to deal with potential threat from the direction of the Pacific Ocean. The cooperation in military and other fields between China and Russia will be further improved despite the increasing hype that the US and the West are the only ones committed in the mission of defending regional and global stability.
- Briefing by Deputy Director of the Foreign Ministry Information and Press Department Ivan Nechayev, Moscow, August 18, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 18 Aug 2022
- Telephone conversation with President of Indonesia Joko Widodo President of Russia 18 Aug 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of Indonesia Joko Widodo.
- Finnish, Estonian FMs discuss Russian visa issue People's Daily 18 Aug 2022 -- The foreign ministers of Finland and Estonia met in Helsinki on Wednesday to discuss restrictions on visas for Russian citizens.
- Vienna talks final result hinges on how US reacts: Ulyanov IRNA 18 Aug 2022 -- Mikhail Ulyanov, Top Russian Negotiator to the 2015 Iran nuclear deal revival talks, said on Wednesday that the final result of the negotiations depends on how the United States reacts to the latest Iranian reasonable suggestions.
- Russia Respecting One China Principle on Taiwan Issue, US Strategy Will Fail - Ministry Sputnik 18 Aug 2022 -- Russia is respecting the One China principle when it comes to Taiwan, Pyotr Ilyichev, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry's Department of International Organizations, told Sputnik, adding that the US strategy on the matter will fail.
- Russia says 'likely' to close Jewish Agency amid tensions with Israel over Ukraine Press TV 18 Aug 2022 -- Russia has expressed the likelihood of dissolving a so-called Jewish Agency that works to encourage the emigration of Jews to Israel after the country's Ministry of Justice accused the Moscow-based agency of violating Russia's privacy laws.
- American Investor Known For Russian Nightclub, Pro-Ukrainian Stances, Found Dead In Washington RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- An American stockbroker, who made a fortune in the Russian market in the 1990s and 2000s and later co-founded a posh Moscow nightclub before leaving the country, died after being found lying on a sidewalk in Washington, police said.
- Russian Billionaire Deripaska Sues Navalny Over Report About Lavrov Links RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- Russian billionaire Oleg Deripaska has filed a lawsuit against jailed opposition leader Aleksei Navalny, his team, and several foreign entities over an investigative report they produced about alleged corruption links between the tycoon and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
- Estonia Repels Massive Cyberattack Linked To Removal Of Soviet Memorial RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- Estonia says it was targeted by "the most extensive cyberattacks since 2007" shortly after removing a Soviet-era monument in a region with a sizeable ethnic Russian majority.
- Russian Sought By U.S. Over 'Ryuk' Ransomware Extradited From Netherlands RFE/RL 18 Aug 2022 -- A Russian national sought by U.S. prosecutors for allegedly laundering cryptocurrency tied to a notorious ransomware gang has been extradited to the United States from the Netherlands.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|