Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 August 2022 - Russia Special Weapons News
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00, on August 5, 2022 Ukraine MOD 05 Aug 2022
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 05.08 Ukraine MOD 05 Aug 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00, on August 5, 2022 Ukraine MOD 05 Aug 2022
- Russia Scrambling To Compensate For Destroyed Bridges In Southern Ukraine, Satellite Imagery Suggests RFE/RL 05 Aug 2022 -- Russia has begun using a makeshift ferry crossing to move military equipment across the Dnieper River to supply forces holding the occupied Ukrainian city of Kherson as Kyiv's forces press forward, an examination of satellite imagery by Schemes shows.
- Ukraine, Russia Trade Blame On Shelling At Nuclear Power Plant As Fighting Rages In Donetsk RFE/RL 05 Aug 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said Russia must take responsibility for an "act of terror" after Kyiv and Moscow traded blame for strikes at the Zaporizhzhya nuclear plant in Ukraine.
- Ukraine, Russia Trade Blame Over Damage to Nuclear Plant VOA 05 Aug 2022 -- Three more ships carrying thousands of tons of corn left Ukrainian ports Friday, part of a grain deal between Kyiv and Moscow, as the two countries accused each other of damaging a major Ukrainian nuclear power plant.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia's aerospace force wipes out US-trained militants in Syria: Moscow Press TV 05 Aug 2022 -- The Russian Defense Ministry says it has eliminated a group of US-backed militants in Syria as they were hiding in shelters in the country's Badia deserts near the Iraqi border, from where they carried out sabotage attacks against the civilian population and civilian infrastructure in the Arab country.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's statement and answers to media questions following ASEAN ministerial meetings, Phnom Penh, August 5, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's opening remarks at a meeting with Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China Wang Yi, Phnom Penh, August 5, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's conversation with Foreign Minister of the People's Republic of China Wang Yi Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministers of the Kingdom of Cambodia and the Russian Federation Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with Second Minister of Foreign Affairs of Brunei Darussalam Dato Erywan Yusof Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meetings with Prime Minister of Cambodia Hun Sen and Deputy Prime Minister - Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Prak Sokhonn Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with Deputy Prime Minister, Foreign Minister of Thailand Don Pramudwinai Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Statement by Mr. Andrey Belousov, Deputy Head of the Delegation of the Russian Federation at the Tenth Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (Cluster I, Nuclear Disarmament) Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Putin, Erdogan Agree To Boost Economic Ties At Sochi Meeting RFE/RL 05 Aug 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan agreed during a meeting on August 5 to boost cooperation in the transport, agriculture, and construction industries.
- Meeting with President of Turkiye Recep Tayyip Erdogan President of Russia 05 Aug 2022 -- Vladimir Putin held talks with President of Turkiye Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Sochi.
- Putin, Erdogan Agree on Ruble Payment Scheme for Part of Russian Gas Exports to Turkey: Deputy PM Sputnik 05 Aug 2022 -- The Russian and Turkish presidents met in Sochi, Russia on Friday to discuss a range of pressing issues, including the implementation of the Turkish and UN-mediated Russian-Ukrainian grain deal, the situation in Syria, trade, and other matters.
- Kremlin calls on Turkey to keep it calm in northern Syria ahead of Putin-Erdogan summit Press TV 05 Aug 2022 -- The Kremlin's spokesman has called on Turkey not to carry out a military offensive in northern Syrian regions, saying such an action will be destabilizing.
- Russia, U.S. Say They're Ready For Talks On Prisoner Swap After Griner Sentenced RFE/RL 05 Aug 2022 -- Moscow and Washington appeared ready to discuss a possible prisoner exchange after U.S. basketball star Brittney Griner was found guilty of drug smuggling and sentenced to nine years in prison, a punishment that U.S President Joe Biden called "unacceptable."
- European Commission Rejects Russian Claim That Sanctions Are Holding Up Gas Turbine RFE/RL 05 Aug 2022 -- A European Commission says Western sanctions against Moscow are not an impediment to the delivery of a gas turbine from Germany to Russia.
- Press release on countermeasures in relation to declaring employees of Russian diplomatic missions in Bulgaria personae non gratae Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 05 Aug 2022
- Russia Expels 14 Bulgarian Diplomats In Tit-For-Tat Move RFE/RL 05 Aug 2022 -- Russia says it is expelling 14 Bulgarian consular and embassy staff in response to Sofia's "unfounded" decision to expel Russian diplomatic personnel as tensions rage over Moscow's ongoing unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list