Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2014 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russia, Japan Start Peace Treaty Talks in Tokyo RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2014 -- Senior Russian and Japanese diplomats started consultations Friday in Tokyo in a bid to end a territorial row that has kept the two nations from signing a World War II peace treaty.
- Russia Arms Sales Grew Sharply in 2012 – Report RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2014 -- Russian defense companies saw a large increase in arms sales in 2012 due to growing domestic procurement, an independent think tank said Friday.
- Russian Women Urged to Join Army Ranks RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2014 -- More women should serve in the Russian army as professional soldiers, Deputy Defense Minister Nikolai Pankov said Friday.
- Russia to Give Kazakhstan Air Defense Systems Free-of-Charge RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2014 -- Russia is set to supply fellow former Soviet nation Kazakhstan with S-300 air defense systems free-of-charge, a top Russian military official said Friday.
- Russia to Float Out Stealth Sub for Black Sea Fleet in May RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2014 -- A St. Petersburg shipyard said Wednesday it will float out in May the second of six Varshavyanka-class diesel-electric submarines to be delivered to Russia's Black Sea Fleet in the next two years.
- US Alleges Russian Missile Treaty Violation - Report RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2014 -- The United States notified NATO allies earlier this month of Russian tests of a new missile that could be in violation of a nuclear disarmament treaty, the New York Times reported Thursday.
- Russia to Create Cyberwarfare Units by 2017 RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2014 -- Russia plans to create special cyber-defense units to protect the country against online warfare in the coming years, a senior military commander said Thursday.
- Russian Senators Back Putin's Military Police Bill RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2014 -- Russia's upper house of parliament Wednesday passed a Kremlin-backed bill clarifying the broad role to be played by the fledgling military police, whose ranks will as a result have to swell substantially.
- Bangladesh Buys Russian Combat Training Jets Worth $800M RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2014 -- Bangladesh ordered 24 Russian Yak-130 light fighter jets worth $800 million in the final quarter of last year, a Russian newspaper reported Tuesday.
- Russian Arms Exporter Sold $13.2Bln in 2013 RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2014 -- Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport sold $13.2 billion in weapons and military equipment to foreign buyers last year but expects no short-term growth, its director said in an interview published Monday.
- Russia, US Plan to Jointly Fight Space Threats RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2014 -- Russian and US experts are planning to join efforts in protecting our planet against thousands of potentially hazardous near-Earth space bodies, Russia's emergencies minister said.
- U.S. Will Help With Olympics Security If Needed, Hagel Says AFPS 24 Jan 2014 -- Top Defense Department officials have offered the Russian government U.S. help with security during the Feb. 7-23 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, but have received no requests, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said this afternoon.
- Russia Begins Nuclear-Powered Missile Cruiser Overhaul RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2014 -- The refit of one of Russia's four heavy nuclear-powered missile cruisers has begun after years of delays, the country's largest shipbuilder said Friday.
- Russian Carrier Group Conducting Exercises in Mediterranean RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2014 -- A Russian carrier group that entered the Mediterranean earlier this month has begun a series of naval aviation exercises, a navy spokesman said Friday.
- Sochi Security 'Very Impressive' But Risks Remain – US Lawmaker RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2014 -- A senior US congressman on Wednesday lauded the scope of the Russian government's security measures for next month's Winter Olympics but said the risk of a possible lone attacker remains a concern.
- US Offers Russia Anti-Terrorism Technology for Sochi Olympics RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2014 -- The United States and Russia on Tuesday discussed using US technology to combat terrorism at next month's Winter Olympics in Sochi amid concerns that extremists could target the games, the Pentagon's news service reported.
- Criminal Case Launched Against Ex-Defense Minister's Relative RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2014 -- A criminal case was launched Wednesday against a brother-in-law of former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov, the Russian Investigative Committee said.
- Russia Plans Cruise Missile Tests, Bomber Patrols for 2014 RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2014 -- The Russian Air Force is preparing to conduct a series of tests of new cruise missiles, as well as carrying out strategic bomber patrols including stops in other countries, the commander of its long-range fleet said Wednesday.
- Russia still relies on nuclear triad - Putin Voice of Russia 22 Jan 2014 -- Russia's President Vladimir Putin has said that the nuclear triad, a three-legged nuclear capability that is traditionally comprised of strategic bombers, intercontinental ballistic missiles and submarine-based ballistic missiles, continues to be the bedrock of the country's military defense.
- Security Concerns Mount As Sochi Olympic Opening Nears RFE/RL 21 Jan 2014 -- Security forces in the Black Sea Russian city of Sochi are looking for a woman from the North Caucasus whom they believe might be planning a terrorist attack during next month's winter Olympic games.
- US Offers Russia Security Support for Sochi Olympics RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2014 -- American military assets have been offered to bolster security for the upcoming Sochi Olympic Games scheduled to open in less than three weeks, the Pentagon said Monday.
- Russia Searches for 'Black Widow' Suicide Bomber in Sochi VOA 21 Jan 2014 -- Russian police are on the hunt for a potential female suicide bomber in the Black Sea resort city of Sochi, where the Winter Olympics are set to begin next month.
- Russian Military Research Agency to Get $100M in 2014 RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2014 -- Russia's prospective rival of the US breakthrough military research agency DARPA will receive 3.3 billion rubles ($100 million) of state funding this year, its spokesman said Monday.
- Russian, Chinese sailors to have joint exercises in Mediterranean – Defense Ministry Voice of Russia 19 Jan 2014 -- The Russian Ministry of Defence reports that Russian and Chinese sailors taking part in the international operation of providing safe transportation for Syrian chemical weapons may carry out joint tactical exercises in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Russia steps up military aid to Syrian government Iran Press TV 18 Jan 2014 -- Russia has reportedly increased its military aid to the Syrian government which is engaged in fighting against foreign-backed Takfiri militants.
- Moscow officials visit Guantanamo in bid to release Russian detainee Voice of Russia 18 Jan 2014 -- ?A delegation of Russian officials has visited the Guantanamo detention camp on Friday in a bid to have the only Russian national there released.
- Our priority is to ensure Russian national's soonest release from Gitmo - Dolgov Voice of Russia 18 Jan 2014 -- A Russian delegation of high-ranking officials has visited Ravil Mingazov, a Russian national who is being held at the Guantanamo detention camp, the Russian Foreign Ministry's Commissioner for Human Rights, Konstantin Dolgov, said on his Twitter account.
- Sukhoi Plans to Market New SuperJet Plane in 2016 RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2014 -- Russia's Sukhoi aircraft maker said Friday that it is planning to start series production of a stretched version of its Superjet 100 passenger aircraft in 2016.
- Russia Forms Helicopter Squadron for Armenian Base RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2014 -- The Russian military has formed a helicopter squadron to strengthen its air contingent at the Erebuni air base in Armenia, the press service of Russia's Southern Military District said Friday.
- U.S. Congressman Presses Officials On Russian Blacklist RFE/RL 16 Jan 2014 -- A U.S. lawmaker who spearheaded legislation punishing accused Russian rights abusers plans to meet officials from the Obama administration to press for answers as to why it has failed to blacklist more Russian officials under the law.
- Russian Pacific Fleet airbase supplied with drones Voice of Russia 16 Jan 2014 -- Several drone systems and a ground control station have been delivered to an airbase of the Russian Pacific Fleet in Kamchatka, fleet spokesman Capt. 1st Rank Roman Martov told Interfax-AVN on Thursday.
- Foreign Investors Wrecked Russian Defense Companies – Official RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2014 -- Foreign investors deliberately bankrupted defense firms in the 1990s and Russia must act to prevent a recurrence, the head of Russia's Investigative Committee said.
- Kalashnikov Concern plans to sell up to 200,000 weapons to US a year Voice of Russia 13 Jan 2014 -- The Kalashnikov Concern of the Rostec State Corporation is due to sign an exclusive agreement with Russian Weapon Company (RWC) on the sidelines of the Shot Show 2014 in Las Vegas, the US, on January 14-17 with the purpose of the delivery of its sport and hunting rifles to the United States.
- Russian Arms Exporter Denies Links to Greece Bribe Scandal RIA Novosti 12 Jan 2014 -- Russia's state arms exporter denied Sunday any involvement in a multi-million dollar corruption scandal in Greece related to arms sales that led to the arrest of a former top defense official.
- Rosoboronexport steers clear of Kornet-E, Osa missile systems exports to Greece Voice of Russia 12 Jan 2014 -- Neither Russia's state arms trader Rosoboronexport, nor the companies once merged to form Rosoboronexport, have anything to do with the export of Kornet-E and Osa systems to Greece, Rosoboronexport spokesman Vyacheslav Davidenko told Interfax on Sunday.
- Cyprus allows Russian air forces to use Paphos airbase - media Voice of Russia 11 Jan 2014 -- Cyprus is allowing Russian military aircraft to use the Andreas Papandreou military airbase near Paphos, as well as opening Limassol port to its naval vessels, Cyprus Weekly said on Friday.
- Kazakhstan Wants Russia to Remain at Baikonur Forever - Space RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2014 -- Kazakhstan wants a permanent Russian presence at the Baikonur space center, the head of its space program said on Thursday, after years of argument between Moscow and Astana over Russia's use of the site.
- Russian, Iranian Presidents Discuss Upcoming Syria Talks RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2014 -- Russia's President Vladimir Putin spoke with his counterpart in Iran on Thursday about Tehran's nuclear program and the upcoming Geneva 2 international peace conference.
- Russia Blocks UN Move to Condemn Syria Bombing - Report RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2014 -- Russia has blocked an effort at the United Nation to condemn air strikes carried out by the Syrian government on cities inside the war-torn Middle Eastern country, according to media reports.
- Indonesia Considers Purchasing Russian Su-35 Jets RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2014 -- Indonesia is considering Russia's Sukhoi Su-35 fighter as a replacement for its Air Force's aging F-5 Tiger jet, the country's defense minister said.
- Russian Military to Strengthen Radar Defenses in 2014 RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2014 -- The Russian Aerospace Defense Force will add dozens of radars this year, a force spokesman said Wednesday.
- Russian strategic rocket forces to modernize security systems in 2014 Voice of Russia 06 Jan 2014 -- In 2014 the modernization of the automatic security systems at five facilities of the Russian strategic rocket forces will involve for the first time the Russian Defense Ministry's 12th main department responsible for maintaining, developing and servicing the Russian forces' nuclear arsenal and for controlling nuclear tests of other countries.
- Every Russian Region to Get Drones Department - Minister RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2014 -- Every Russian region is to have its own drones department, the Emergencies Minister said Monday.
- Russian Pilots to Train in Enhanced Il-38N Aircraft in 2014 RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2014 -- Pilots from Russia's Northern Fleet will undergo retraining in 2014 to master the modernized Ilyushin Il-38N anti-submarine aircraft, a military official told journalists Sunday.
- Readout of Secretary Hagel's Call with Russia's Minister of Defense Sergey Shoygu DoD 04 Jan 2014
- Russian Navy to Expand Air Patrols in Arctic RIA Novosti 03 Jan 2014 -- Combat aircraft from Russia's Northern Fleet will extend the ranges of their patrol flights over the Arctic in 2014 using a network of revamped Soviet-era airfields, the fleet's spokesman said Friday.
- Russian Navy to Get 40 New Ships in 2014 RIA Novosti 03 Jan 2014 -- Russia's Navy is expected to receive 40 new warships and auxiliary vessels in 2014, a high-ranking official said Friday.
- Russia to Test 70 New Rockets and Missiles in 2014 RIA Novosti 03 Jan 2014 -- The Russian military plans to test around 70 types of rocket and missile weaponry at a major testing site this year, a Defense Ministry spokesman has said.
- Russia Navy gets new nuclear attack submarine Iran Press TV 01 Jan 2014 -- Russian Navy has received a cutting-edge Severodvinsk nuclear attack submarine just on the eve of the New Year.
- Putin Stole The Headlines In 2013, But How Is He Positioned For 2014? RFE/RL 01 Jan 2014 -- At a press conference back in September, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry made a seemingly throwaway remark that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad could avoid outside military intervention by giving up all his chemical weapons.
- Russian President Denounces Bombings In Visit To Volgograd RFE/RL 01 Jan 2014 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has made a visit to Volgograd in the wake of this week's bombings that killed dozens of people in the southern city.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list