Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2013 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russia Plans to Have 4 'Massive' Military Training Ranges RIA Novosti 30 Nov 2013 -- Each of Russia's four military districts will have its own training range capable of hosting large-scale exercises involving all branches of the armed forces, a senior defense official said Saturday.
- Russia Announces Development of Unmanned Arctic Radars RIA Novosti 29 Nov 2013 -- Russia plans to develop fully automated air defense radars and deploy them to the Arctic, a senior aerospace defense official said Friday.
- Moscow, Minsk to Discuss Russian Airbase in Belarus RIA Novosti 29 Nov 2013 -- A senior Russian defense official said Friday that talks will be held next month on the planned deployment of an airbase in Belarus.
- Russia Opens Criminal Case Against Former Defense Minister RIA Novosti 28 Nov 2013 -- A criminal case on negligence charges has been opened against former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov, Russian investigators said Thursday.
- Russian Nuclear Subs' Entry Into Service Pushed Back to 2014 RIA Novosti 28 Nov 2013 -- The Russian navy will take delivery of two Borey-class nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarines in 2014, the Defense Ministry said Thursday.
- Russia Floats Out 'Stealth' Submarine for Black Sea Fleet RIA Novosti 28 Nov 2013 -- A St. Petersburg-based shipyard on Thursday floated out the first of six Varshavyanka-class diesel-electric submarines to be delivered to the Black Sea Fleet in the next two years.
- Russia to Deploy 3 New S-400 Air Defense Regiments in 2014 RIA Novosti 28 Nov 2013 -- Three new regiments equipped with S-400 Triumf air defense missile systems will be put in service with the Russian armed forces next year, President Vladimir Putin said Thursday.
- Moscow Air Defenses Get New Short-Range Pantsir-S Systems RIA Novosti 27 Nov 2013 -- Russian air defense forces have taken delivery of six Pantsir-S short-range air defense systems to be used by a new missile regiment formed to protect the skies over Moscow, military officials said Wednesday.
- Russia to Deploy 22 New Ballistic Missiles in 2014 RIA Novosti 27 Nov 2013 -- Twenty-two land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles will next year be added to Russia's nuclear arsenal, President Vladimir Putin said Wednesday.
- Nicaragua Lets Russian, US Navies Conduct Coastal Anti-Drugs Ops RIA Novosti 27 Nov 2013 -- Nicaragua's parliament has allowed Russian and US warships and servicemen to operate in its contested territorial waters to conduct anti-drug missions, local daily La Prensa reports.
- Russia Denies Plans to Place Strategic Bombers in Kyrgyzstan RIA Novosti 26 Nov 2013 -- Russian defense officials denied Tuesday that they plan to deploy strategic bombers at an air base in Kyrgyzstan, addressing speculation over what military analysts had seen as an effort by Moscow to project its geopolitical influence across the region.
- US Knew Russia Violated Nuclear Treaty – Report RIA Novosti 26 Nov 2013 -- Senior US officials say Russia has violated a Soviet-era arms-control treaty with the United States but have worried about political fallout that could imperil future arms-reduction deals should the alleged violation become widely known, a US website reported Tuesday.
- No need for US missile system after Iran deal: Lavrov Iran Press TV 25 Nov 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says Iran's nuclear deal with the West leaves no place for the deployment of the long-touted US missile system in Europe.
- Russia's Putin Praises Iran Nuclear Deal RIA Novosti 24 Nov 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Sunday praised a last-minute agreement between Iran and the six international negotiators on the Islamic Republic's nuclear program.
- Russia to Deliver Fighter Jets to South African Country RIA Novosti 23 Nov 2013 -- Russia's state arms export monopoly said Friday that it will deliver 12 Su-30K fighter jets to a nation in southern Africa.
- Court Gives Back Fuel Base to Russian Navy in Fraud Case RIA Novosti 22 Nov 2013 -- A Russian court has ordered the return of a strategically important naval fuel installation to the navy after it was allegedly sold off illegally by a key suspect in a massive property scam, military prosecutors said Friday.
- Russia to Offer Conscripts Two Year Professional Service Option RIA Novosti 22 Nov 2013 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has proposed offering conscripts the choice of two years professional military service instead of the existing one year of mandatory service, a media report said Thursday, in a bid to increase the number of full-time soldiers.
- Armenia Says It's Ready to Host Russian Combat Helicopters RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2013 -- Armenia will allocate additional space at the Erebuni air base to host a Russian helicopter squadron being formed to strengthen the Russian air contingent in the former Soviet state, Armenia's deputy defense minister said Thursday.
- Russia's Baltic Fleet to Receive New Transport Plane RIA Novosti 21 Nov 2013 -- A new military transport plane will be put in service with Russia's Baltic Fleet by the end of this year, a spokesman for the Western Military District said Wednesday.
- Russia Concerned at US Plans for Bases in Afghanistan RIA Novosti 20 Nov 2013 -- A senior Russian diplomat has voiced concerns over US plans to retain nine military bases in Afghanistan after their planned withdrawal from the country.
- Russian Defense Ministry Blames Makers for Failed Missile Launch RIA Novosti 20 Nov 2013 -- The latest failed launch of Russia's new submarine-launched ballistic missile was caused by a manufacturing glitch, the Defense Ministry said Wednesday.
- Russia to Start Producing New Main Battle Tank in 2016 RIA Novosti 20 Nov 2013 -- The development of Russia's new-generation main battle tank will be completed in 2015, and mass production is slated to being in 2016, the tank maker said Wednesday.
- Russia to Boost Spending on Defense Contracts by 25% in 2014 RIA Novosti 20 Nov 2013 -- Government spending on orders for military equipment will increase by 25 percent next year, Deputy Defense Minister Yuri Borisov said Wednesday.
- Russian Military Gets 67 Combat Aircraft This Year RIA Novosti 20 Nov 2013 -- The Russian military is getting a total of 67 new combat aircraft this year, an official from the United Aircraft Corporation said Wednesday.
- Russia to Boost Joint Air Defenses with Ex-Soviet States RIA Novosti 19 Nov 2013 -- Russia is planning to strengthen its integrated regional air defense network with Belarus and set up similar joint networks with Armenia and Kazakhstan, President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday.
- Russian Arms Exporter to Sell $13Bln Worth of Weaponry This Year RIA Novosti 18 Nov 2013 -- Russia's state arms exporter will deliver more than $13 billion worth of military equipment to foreign customers in 2013, a senior defense industry official said Monday.
- Russia Delivers 4 Mi-171E Helicopters to China RIA Novosti 18 Nov 2013 -- A Russian helicopter maker has delivered four more Mi-171E multipurpose helicopters to China under a 2012 contract.
- Russian Foreign Minister Upbeat On Sealing Iran Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 17 Nov 2013 -- China, Russia, the United States, Germany, France, and Britain -- are due to hold another round of negotiations in Geneva next week.
- Russia Passes Refitted Aircraft Carrier to India After 5-Year Delay RIA Novosti 16 Nov 2013 -- Russia handed over to India its aircraft carrier renamed INS Vikramaditya on Saturday after a much-delayed refit and cost escalations that led to disagreements between Moscow and New Delhi.
- Russian Navy Demands Ready-to-Assemble Warships RIA Novosti 14 Nov 2013 -- New warships for the Russian navy should be built from ready-to-assembly blocks, navy chief Adm. Viktor Chirkov said Wednesday.
- Russia Unveils New High-Precision Air Defense System RIA Novosti 14 Nov 2013 -- Russia's Almaz-Antey defense corporation said Thursday that it had developed an advanced version of the Tor-M2 air defense system, featuring an extended firing range, improved precision and greater ammunition-carrying capacity.
- Russia Starts Construction of 2 New Warships RIA Novosti 14 Nov 2013 -- Russia's Severnaya Verf shipyard on Thursday began construction of a frigate and a reconnaissance ship for the Russian navy.
- Russia-Led Security Bloc Looks to Boost Peacebuilding Role RIA Novosti 14 Nov 2013 -- The head of the Moscow-led Collective Security Treaty Organization said Thursday that the military bloc should boost its peacekeeping capabilities in response to developing internal threats.
- Russia, Egypt Vow to Boost Military Ties RIA Novosti 14 Nov 2013 -- Russia and Egypt agreed Thursday to start drafting documents to lay the foundation for close cooperation in the defense sector, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said.
- Lavrov: Russia Sees Gain in Stable Egypt VOA 14 Nov 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says his country could gain from a return to stability in Egypt, as he and Russia's defense chief make a landmark visit to Cairo for talks with their Egyptian counterparts.
- Russia, Serbia Ink Military Cooperation Agreement RIA Novosti 13 Nov 2013 -- Russia and Serbia signed an agreement Wednesday on military cooperation as part of further development of the strategic partnership between the two countries.
- No Submarine-Launched Bulava Missile Tests Seen Until 2014 RIA Novosti 13 Nov 2013 -- The Russian Navy has postponed any further trials of the troubled submarine-launched Bulava ballistic missile until 2014, Navy Commander Adm. Viktor Chirkov said Wednesday.
- Russia to Start Building 5th Borey Nuclear Sub in 2014 RIA Novosti 13 Nov 2013 -- The construction of a fifth Borey-class nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarine is expected to begin in late 2014, Russia's navy chief Adm.Viktor Chirkov said Wednesday.
- Cairo Considering Russian Arms Deal – Egyptian Minister RIA Novosti 12 Nov 2013 -- Egypt's foreign minister said ahead of a Russian delegation's visit that Cairo is considering deliveries of Russian arms.
- Nuclear Cruiser Leads Russian Task Force in Mediterranean RIA Novosti 11 Nov 2013 -- The Russian Northern Fleet's nuclear-powered missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky was assigned on Monday to lead the country's permanent naval task force in the Mediterranean.
- Russian Warship Visits Egypt for First Time in Decades RIA Novosti 11 Nov 2013 -- The flagship of Russia's Pacific Fleet, the Varyag missile cruiser, docked on Monday at the Mediterranean port of Alexandria, making it the first Russian warship to visit Egypt since 1992.
- Russian Shipbuilder Outlines Concept of Future Attack Submarine RIA Novosti 11 Nov 2013 -- Russia's fifth-generation strategic and attack submarines will most likely be non-nuclear-powered, more compact and less "visible," a senior designer at the Rubin design bureau said Monday.
- Russia, Italy Complete Joint Naval Drills in Mediterranean RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2013 -- Russian and Italian warships completed Saturday the joint Ioniex-2013 exercise in the Ionian Sea, a spokesman for Russia's Black Sea Fleet said.
- Russian Navy Likely to Receive 2nd Borey Nuclear Sub by Year-End RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2013 -- A second Borey-class nuclear-powered submarine, the Alexander Nevsky, will most likely be delivered to the Russian Navy around the end of November or early December this year, Russia's United Shipbuilding Corporation said Friday.
- Defense Minister Shoigu Outlines Security Threats to Russia RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2013 -- Terrorism and NATO expansion near Russian borders pose key threats to Russia's national security, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Saturday.
- Russia's Spies Say Cooperating With British on Olympics RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2013 -- Russian security services said Friday that they are working with their British counterparts in the run-up to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.
- Colombia Protests Alleged Airspace Violation by Russian Bombers RIA Novosti 07 Nov 2013 -- Colombia has demanded an explanation from Russia over an incident last week in which two Russian bombers allegedly violated the country's airspace.
- Russia's Interior Ministry Plans to Buy Superjet for $25M RIA Novosti 07 Nov 2013 -- Russia's Interior Ministry on Wednesday revealed plans to buy a used Superjet for up to 800 million rubles ($25 million) to transport special forces around the country.
- Chinese and Russian militaries hold 16th round of strategic consultation of general staff People's Daily 07 Nov 2013 -- The 16th round of strategic consultation between the general staff headquarters of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) and the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation was held on the afternoon of November 5, 2013 in Beijing.
- Russia, Italy Begin Active Phase of Ioniex Naval Exercise RIA Novosti 07 Nov 2013 -- Russian and Italian warships started joint training missions Thursday in the Mediterranean Sea as part of the Ioniex-2013 exercise, a spokesman for Russia's Black Sea Fleet said.
- Colombian President Says Russian Bombers Violated Airspace RIA Novosti 06 Nov 2013 -- Colombian officials will issue a note of protest to Moscow after two Russian Tupolev Tu-160 strategic bombers entered the country's airspace without permission last week, the Latin American nation's president has said.
- Russian Army Felt Boots Making Last March RIA Novosti 06 Nov 2013 -- Servicemen in European Russia will no longer wear felt boots during field exercises from this winter, defense officials said Wednesday.
- Russia Extends Investigation Into Ex-Defense Minister – Report RIA Novosti 06 Nov 2013 -- Russian authorities have extended an investigation involving ex-Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov until 2014, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
- Russia to Deploy Arctic Escort Squadron by 2014 – Minister RIA Novosti 06 Nov 2013 -- The Russian military is planning to form a squadron of warships with ice-breaking capability by 2014 to protect vital shipping routes in the Arctic, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Wednesday.
- Russian Army Improves Quality of Combat Training RIA Novosti 06 Nov 2013 -- The quality and intensity of combat training in the Russian Armed Forces has received a significant boost this year through a series of regular exercises and large-scale snap-alert drills, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Wednesday.
- Russia to Deploy More Yars Ballistic Missiles by Year-End RIA Novosti 06 Nov 2013 -- Russia will arm two more regiments of the Strategic Missile Forces with Yars mobile ballistic missile systems by the end of 2013, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Wednesday.
- Russian Strategic Bombers Complete South American Mission RIA Novosti 05 Nov 2013 -- Two Russian Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack strategic bombers returned on Tuesday from a tour-of-duty in South America, where they carried out a series of patrols in line with a combat training program.
- Russia, Italy Hold Naval Drills in Mediterranean RIA Novosti 05 Nov 2013 -- Russia and Italy are holding naval drills in the Mediterranean to improve interoperability in joint operations, a spokesman for Russia's Black Sea Fleet said Tuesday.
- Russia Unprepared for War in Arctic RIA Novosti 05 Nov 2013 -- Russia is unprepared for a war in the Arctic, a government report says.
- Half of Russian Arms Trade With Asia - State Exporter RIA Novosti 04 Nov 2013 -- Almost half of all Russia's military hardware exports are sent to Asian and Pacific region countries, Russia's state-controlled arms trader Rosoboronexport said Monday.
- Critics Call New Russian Counterterror Law A Return To 'Collective Justice' RFE/RL 04 Nov 2013 -- Critics say a new law designed to quell the insurgency in Russia's restive North Caucasus region revives the Stalin-era principles of collective guilt and collective justice.
- Putin Signs Law Punishing Terrorists' Relatives RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2013 -- President Vladimir Putin signed a law Sunday forcing the relatives of terrorists to pay for the damages caused by their attacks.
- Russian-Japanese Talks Focus on US Missile Defense Plans RIA Novosti 02 Nov 2013 -- Russian concern over the deployment of elements of a US missile defense network in Japan was the subject of "special attention" during talks in Tokyo this week between Russia's defense and foreign ministers and their Japanese counterparts, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Saturday.
- Russia Boosting Arms Shipments to Syria – US Officials RIA Novosti 02 Nov 2013 -- Russia has increased its weapons shipments to Syrian President Bashar Assad's government since last year, military aid that is likely "more significant" than Iranian arms supplies to Damascus, according to senior US diplomats.
- Russian Bombers to Continue Patrols Over South America RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2013 -- Two Russian Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack strategic bombers currently on a tour-of-duty in South America will carry out a series of patrol missions over the region in line with the program of combat training, the Defense Ministry said.
- Russian Navy's Newest Missile Subs Not Operational – Source RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2013 -- The Russian Navy's newest ballistic missile submarines are not ready to begin operations in their primary role of carrying out nuclear deterrent patrols due to a failed test firing of the Bulava missile last year, a high command source told RIA Novosti on Friday.
- Investigators Seize Over $20M from Defense Ministry Fraud Suspects RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2013 -- Russian law enforcers have confiscated over 750 million rubles ($23.3 million) from the managers of a Defense Ministry services company they suspect were involved in a military real-estate fraud, the Investigative Committee spokesman said.
- Russia, Japan Agree to Hold Peace Treaty Talks Next Year RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2013 -- The top diplomats of Russia and Japan on Friday agreed to hold peace treaty consultations early next year, the Japanese foreign minister said after meeting with his Russian counterpart.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list