Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2013 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russia, US Neck and Neck in Hypersonic Research – Rogozin RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2013 -- Russia and the United States are running neck and neck in their research of hypersonic military technologies.
- New Naval Communication Ship Floated Out in St. Petersburg RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2013 -- A state-of-the-art communication ship for the Russian Navy was launched in St. Petersburg.
- Crackdown on Greenpeace Is Part of Russia’s New Cold War in the Arctic? VOA 30 Sep 2013 -- Russia increasingly is flexing its military muscles in what some call a new Cold War in the Arctic.
- Russian Rocket Successfully Puts Telecom Satellite Into Orbit RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2013 -- Russia’s first successful launch of a Proton-M carrier rocket since a July disaster has successfully put a European telecom satellite into orbit.
- Shipyard Chief to Be Sacked After Submarine Fire RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2013 -- The director of a Far Eastern shipyard, where a nuclear submarine recently caught fire during maintenance operations, will lose his post next week.
- Defense Minister Unveils Russia's Wartime Plan RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2013 -- The Russian defense minister unveiled Russia's wartime plan on Friday, saying that private and state companies should be ready to provide the Russian armed forces with everything they need in case of a military conflict.
- Russian Priests to Get Military Training RIA Novosti 27 Sep 2013 -- A group of Russian Orthodox priests will undergo military training at a Defense Ministry university in Moscow, the Russian army said Friday.
- U.S. Congressman: Washington 'Should Not Countenance' Russian Pressure On Neighbors RFE/RL 26 Sep 2013 -- A senior U.S. lawmaker says Washington 'should not countenance' an apparent increase in Russian pressure on its neighbors as they seek closer ties with the European Union.
- NATO, Russia Complete 'Vigilant Skies' Anti-Terror Drills RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2013 -- NATO and Russia have successfully completed a live three-day joint exercise to test their capacity to counter terrorist threats in the skies over NATO and Russian territory.
- Russian Landing Ship Nikolai Filchenkov in Syria – Ministry RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2013 -- Russia's assault landing ship Nikolai Filchenkov, scheduled to visit the Syrian port of Latakia, has been met by two Syrian missile boats on the border of Syria's territorial waters, a Syrian Defense Ministry spokesman told RIA Novosti.
- Russian Admiral Faces Trial for $840,000 Scam RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2013 -- Investigators have compiled and sent to court a 27 million ruble ($840,000) fraud and abuse of office case against a senior military official, a spokesman for Russia's Investigative Committee said Thursday.
- Russia's Prime Minister Gets Sneak Preview of Top Secret Tank RIA Novosti 26 Sep 2013 -- Russia's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and a select group of senior officials got a sneak peek at a secret prototype of the country's new-generation battle tank in a closed viewing at an arms show in the Urals region on Thursday.
- Russia Unveils 'Terminator-2' Tank Support Vehicle RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2013 -- Russia's Uralvagonzavod defense manufacturer on Wednesday unveiled the BMPT-72 tank support fighting vehicle, dubbed the "Terminator-2," at the Russia Arms Expo 2013 in Nizhny Tagil.
- Russia, France Develop New Infantry Fighting Vehicle RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2013 -- Russia's Uralvagonzavod and France's Renault are jointly developing a new infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) with an increased firing range of up to 16 kilometers, the Russian company said Wednesday.
- India to Get Refitted Russian Ship in November – Official RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2013 -- A Russian-built aircraft carrier is to be handed over to the Indian Navy on November 15, and will reach India by February 2014, a senior official at the Russian arms exports monopoly said Wednesday.
- Russia Starts Building 2 Frigates for Vietnamese Navy RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2013 -- A Russian shipyard on Tuesday started work on a second pair of frigates for the Vietnamese navy, the shipbuilding company said.
- Russian Army to Accept Armored Vehicles Rejected in 2010 RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2013 -- An order for the delivery of BMP-3 infantry fighting vehicles that the Russian Defense Ministry suspended three years ago over inferior quality will be completed, a defense industry official said Tuesday.
- Russia, Belarus Begin Second Stage of Strategic Drills RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2013 -- The second stage of international strategic exercises, Zapad 2013, began at five locations in Russia and Belarus.
- Vigilant Skies 2013 NATO 23 Sep 2013 -- A live exercise, Vigilant Skies 2013, to test the NATO-Russia Council’s Cooperative Airspace Initiative (CAI) Information Exchange System (IES) will take place on 23 – 27 September 2013.
- Norwegian Military Inspectors to Fly Over Russia, Belarus RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2013 -- Norwegian military inspectors are set to fly above Russia and Belarus starting from Monday under the international Open Skies Treaty.
- Russian Navy to Get New Missile Systems Next Year RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2013 -- The Russian navy will receive new advanced surface-to-air missile systems next year.
- Su-25 Attack Aircraft Crashes in Russia, Pilot Ejects Safely RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2013 -- A Soviet-era Su-25 Frogfoot ground attack aircraft crashed during a routine training flight in Russia’s Krasnodar region.
- Kalashnikov Corp. Sells 49% Stake for $75M – Rostec RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2013 -- State-owned Russian Technologies, or Rostec, confirmed on Monday the sale of a 49 percent stake in arms maker Kalashnikov Corporation to private investors for 2.5 billion rubles ($75 million).
- Russia to Exhibit 2 New Helicopters at London Airshow RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2013 -- Two new Russian helicopters will be shown at the Helitech International helicopter exhibition in London.
- Russia Plans Next Rokot Launch in November RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2013 -- Russia is planning to launch a light-class Rokot carrier rocket with three research satellites from the Plesetsk space center in November.
- Russia Boosts Security For Sochi Olympics With Pantsir-S Systems RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2013 -- Six Pantsir-S short-range air defense systems have been delivered to the Russian military ahead of schedule to ensure security during the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014, a senior defense ministry official said.
- Moscow Again Warns Kyiv Over EU Deals RFE/RL 22 Sep 2013 -- A senior Russian official has issued a strong warning to Ukraine against signing a trade and cooperation agreement with the European Union.
- Russia Opens Landmark N.Korean Rail Link RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2013 -- Russia reopened Sunday a 54-kilometer (33-mile) railway link connecting the North Korean port city of Rajin with the Russian border town of Khasan as part of the project that is expected to speed shipments and trade in the region, Prime news agency reported.
- Consequences for Russian Missile Crash Will Be Harsh – Official RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2013 -- The people responsible for the crash of a Bulava intercontinental ballistic missile at the start of September will be held accountable and possibly fired.
- Moskva Missile Cruiser Leads Russia’s Mediterranean Force RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2013 -- The Russian Black Sea Fleet’s Moskva warship has arrived to lead Russia’s naval task force in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Russia, Belarus Begin Strategic Biannual Exercises RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2013 -- About 12,000 Russian servicemen will take part in joint biannual military exercises of Russia and Belarus beginning on Friday.
- Interview: McCain On Russia, Putin, And His Pravda.ru Op-Ed RFE/RL 20 Sep 2013 -- U.S. Senator John McCain (Republican-Arizona) has defended an opinion piece he wrote this week that was critical of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Russian Missile Forces to Adopt New Command System in 2016 RIA Novosti 19 Sep 2013 -- Russia’s Strategic Missile Forces will use a new-generation automated command and control system from 2016.
- Meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club President of Russia 19 Sep 2013 -- Vladimir Putin took part in the final plenary meeting of the Valdai International Discussion Club. The theme of the club’s anniversary session is Russia’s Diversity for the Modern World.
- 2nd Missile Cruiser May Join Russia’s Mediterranean Force RIA Novosti 19 Sep 2013 -- The flagship of Russia’s Pacific Fleet, the Varyag missile cruiser, could join the country’s naval task force in the Mediterranean while on a mission in the Indian Ocean.
- Russia, NATO to Hold Joint Military Drills in September RIA Novosti 19 Sep 2013 -- Russia and NATO will hold joint military exercises in late September, the NATO-Russia Council has reported.
- Senator John McCain: Russians deserve better than Putin Pravda.ru 19 Sep 2013
- US Senator McCain Slams Putin in Pravda Op-Ed RIA Novosti 19 Sep 2013 -- US Senator John McCain, well-known for his vociferous criticism of the Russian leadership, has slammed Russian President Vladimir Putin and his regime.
- Putin Urges Russian Weaponry Makers to Keep Up With Demands RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin urged his country’s arms manufacturers to produce weapons that are superior to those of possible adversaries.
- US Attorney Gen. Urged to Back Russian Helicopter Investigation RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2013 -- A group of US lawmakers is urging Attorney General Eric Holder to assist the Pentagon’s criminal investigation into contracts for the maintenance and overhaul of Mi-17 helicopters.
- Tajik Parliament to Ratify Extension of Russian Base Lease RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2013 -- Tajikistan’s parliament is expected to promptly ratify a deal that extends Russia’s lease of a military base in the Central Asian nation that borders Afghanistan.
- Latvia Sounds Alarm Over Russian Warplane Flights RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2013 -- Latvia’s defense minister on Wednesday slammed frequent flights by Russian warplanes near the country’s airspace.
- Russian Military Officers Steal Fuel for Tank Biathlon – Prosecutors RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2013 -- No matter how exotic was the purpose of the drill, three Russian military officers managed to resort to the common crime of theft when arranging it.
- Russia plans to boost Mediterranean naval presence Iran Press TV 17 Sep 2013 -- Russia plans to further boost its naval force in the Mediterranean Sea by deploying another warship to its existing fleet in the region by the end of September.
- Russian Army to Receive New Kalashnikov Assault Rifles in 2014 RIA Novosti 17 Sep 2013 -- Various modifications of a new Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle as well as a host of other small arms will be put in service with the Russian armed forces in 2014, a senior government official said.
- No Syrian Scenario at Zapad-2013 Drills – Russian Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 17 Sep 2013 -- A scenario involving potential military action in Syria will not be part of the upcoming large-scale Russian-Belarusian military exercise Zapad-2013, a senior Russian defense official said.
- Criminal Case Opened Over Russian Nuclear Sub Fire RIA Novosti 17 Sep 2013 -- Russia's Investigative Committee announced Tuesday that officials, who have not been named, will be investigated on abuse of office charges over a recent fire on a nuclear submarine.
- Russia Puts Some 20,000 Internal Troops on Training Alert RIA Novosti 17 Sep 2013 -- More than 20,000 of the Russian Interior Ministry's internal troops have been put on alert in preparation for upcoming Russian-Belarusian drills, a senior ministry official said Tuesday.
- Russia’s Troubled Bulava Missiles Returned to Maker RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2013 -- All Bulava missiles from the same batch as the one that failed on September 6 will undergo additional tests by their manufacturer.
- Russian Nuclear Sub ‘Safe’ After Fire – Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2013 -- There is no danger of a radioactive leak from a nuclear submarine in Russia’s Far East after a fire broke out during repairs.
- Fire on Nuclear Submarine in Russia’s Far East Extinguished RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2013 -- A fire that broke out on the K-150 Tomsk nuclear-powered submarine has been extinguished.
- Russia Reopens Military Base to Control Key Part of Arctic – Putin RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2013 -- Russia will reopen a military base in the New Siberian Islands, an Arctic archipelago north of Yakutia, to secure control of the strategic region.
- Putin Orders More Snap Checks of Army, Civil Services RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin, supreme commander-in-chief of the nation’s armed forces, ordered a new series of snap checks of the military as well as civil services.
- IAEA to Study Environmental Impact of Russian Power Plant in Baltic RIA Novosti 16 Sep 2013 -- Russia’s nuclear corporation, Rosatom, has requested that the International Atomic Energy Agency assess the environmental impact of a Russian nuclear power plant.
- Russia to Resume Bulava Tests by Year End RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2013 -- New test launches of the troubled Bulava missile will start later this year following a recent unsuccessful launch that forced the Russian military to suspend sea trials of new Borey-class subs.
- Russian Naval Force Start of Permanent Presence in East Arctic RIA Novosti 14 Sep 2013 -- With the arrival of Russian military ships in the eastern part of the Arctic Laptev Sea off Russia’s northern coast in recent days the Ministry of Defense.
- Russian navy announces plan to boost eastern Mediterranean naval force Iran Press TV 13 Sep 2013 -- Russia's Navy Commander Admiral Viktor Chirkov has announced plans to build up Russian naval presence in the Mediterranean Sea near Syrian coastal waters to as many as ten battleships.
- Russian Navy Sending 3 More Ships to Mediterranean – Admiral RIA Novosti 13 Sep 2013 -- The Russian Navy is bolstering its strength in the Mediterranean Sea from seven to ten warships, its top commander told journalists on Friday.
- The Syrian Alternative Kremlin - President of Russia 12 Sep 2013 -- The article by Vladimir Putin published in The New York Times.
- Russia Orbits 3 Telecoms Satellites – Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 12 Sep 2013 -- Russia has orbited three communications satellites, a Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday.
- Russian, Iranian Leaders to Discuss S-300 Deliveries Deadlock RIA Novosti 12 Sep 2013 -- Russia is hoping to settle Iran's litigation with Moscow over a failed S-300 air defense system deal during a Friday meeting between President Vladimir Putin and his Iranian counterpart, Hassan Rouhani, a Russian presidential aide said Thursday.
- Russia deploys 3 more warships to Mediterranean Iran Press TV 11 Sep 2013 -- Russia's Defense Ministry says three more warships will join the permanent junction of the Russian navy in the Mediterranean.
- Russia to Arm Warships With Pantsir Air Defense System RIA Novosti 11 Sep 2013 -- A naval variant of the Pantsir short-range air defense system will enter service with the Russian Navy in about two years, one of the system's developers said Wednesday.
- Development of S-500 Air Defense System on Schedule – Maker RIA Novosti 11 Sep 2013 -- The development of Russia's formidable S-500 air defense system will be completed in 2015, and the system could be put in service with the Russian military as early as in 2017, the manufacturer, Almaz-Antey, said Wednesday.
- Russian Army to Receive Vityaz Air Defense Systems in 2016 RIA Novosti 11 Sep 2013 -- Russia's Almaz-Antei defense corporation is planning to start deliveries of its newest S-350E Vityaz mid-range air defense system to the Russian army in 2016, the company said Wednesday.
- Russia Set to Launch Rokot Rocket After Long Suspension RIA Novosti 11 Sep 2013 -- Russia will launch a light-class Rokot carrier rocket early on Thursday following a nine-month suspension due to attempts to fix a glitch in the rocket's booster, a Russian Defense Ministry's spokesman said Wednesday.
- Iran, Russia presidents set to discuss military ties Iran Press TV 11 Sep 2013 -- Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov has confirmed that President Vladimir Putin will discuss military-technological cooperation with his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani.
- Russia to Deliver More Air Defense Systems to Belarus in 2013 RIA Novosti 11 Sep 2013 -- Russia will deliver a third battery of Tor-M2 air defense systems to Belarus by the end of this year, Belarusian Defense Minister Yuri Zhadobin said Wednesday.
- Kiev Confirms Russia to Stop Using Carrier-Based Pilot Training Site RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2013 -- Kiev confirmed on Tuesday that Russia had provided official notification that it would stop using the only land-based training facility for pilots of carrier-based fixed-wing aircraft, the so-called Nitka Center, located in Crimea.
- Russian Military Inspectors to Fly Over France RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2013 -- Russian military inspectors will begin monitoring flights over France starting on Monday under the international Open Skies Treaty, a Russian Defense Ministry official said.
- Russian Troops Set off to Belarus for Joint Military Drills RIA Novosti 09 Sep 2013 -- Over 2,500 Russian troops set off on Monday to Belarus for large-scale joint strategic military exercises code named Zapad 2013 (West 2013), the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement.
- Russia's Navalny Calls for Protest Following Election Defeat VOA 09 Sep 2013 -- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has called for his supporters to protest the results of Moscow's mayoral election, which saw Kremlin ally Sergei Sobyanin elected to the post.
- Acting Moscow Mayor Wins Vote, Navalny Comes 2nd, Urges Runoff - Polls RIA Novosti 08 Sep 2013 -- Acting Moscow head Sergei Sobyanin predictably won Sunday's mayoral election in the Russian capital, but his main rival, opposition leader Alexei Navalny, came second with an unexpected third of the vote, according to exit polls. A preliminary vote count, however, gave Navalny some than 24 percent.
- Russian Armata Tank to Enter Testing in November RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2013 -- The prototype of Russia's next generation Armata main battle tank is ready for testing, which will begin by November, the head of the Russian Tank Forces said Saturday.
- Russia Puts Submarine Trials on Hold After Bulava Failure RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2013 -- Russia has put trials of two nuclear subs on hold following an unsuccessful launch of a Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) on Friday, a Russian defense ministry spokesman said on Saturday.
- China to Get Russian Su-35 Jets in 2014 – Rosoboronexport RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2013 -- Moscow and Beijing expect to seal the deal on the sale of Russian Su-35 fighter jets to China in 2014, a senior official at the Russian arms exports monopoly said Saturday.
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Caitlin Hayden on National Security Advisor Rice's Meeting with Russian Presidential Foreign Policy Advisor Ushakov The White House 06 Sep 2013
- Putin: Bilateral Talks With Obama Yield Little On Syria RFE/RL 06 Sep 2013 -- The United States and Russia say they have not bridged their differences over the issue of possible military operation in Syria.
- Russia Sets ‘New Rules’ For Naval Shipbuilders – Report RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2013 -- A senior Russian defense official has unveiled “new rules” for the country’s military shipbuilding industry.
- Military Official Slams Russia's 'Outdated' Technology RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2013 -- Russia’s defense industry technology is still largely outdated, lagging decades behind.
- Russia Sends 1 More Warship to Mediterranean Sea Fleet – Official RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2013 -- Russia will send another warship to the Mediterranean Sea next week.
- NATO ‘Satisfied’ With Russian Transit Hub Deal – Official RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2013 -- NATO is “satisfied” with an agreement to use a transit hub in Russia's Ulyanovsk to help in NATO’s pullout from Afghanistan.
- NATO Open to Joint Drills With Russian Warships in 2014 RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2013 -- NATO does not rule out the possibility that Russian warships will participate in exercises next year.
- Defense Ministry Builds Dam for Aircraft Factory in Flood-Hit Far East RIA Novosti 06 Sep 2013 -- The Defense Ministry is building a six-meter-high, three-kilometer-long dam around a Sukhoi aircraft factory in the far-eastern Russian city of Komsomolsk-on-Amur.
- U.S., Russia Can Make Bilateral Progress, DOD Official Says AFPS 05 Sep 2013 -- The United States and Russia disagree on some aspects of their bilateral relations, but there are many areas where the countries can and do cooperate.
- Putin Agrees With Japan to Seek Judo-Style Peace Treaty RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed with Japan’s PM that a post-World War II peace deal could finally be reached only under the judo principle of hikiwake – “no winner, no loser.”
- Russia Edges Closer to UK Nuclear Reactor Market RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2013 -- Russia’s nuclear giant Rosatom signed two deals that could help smooth its path to entering the UK’s market for new-build nuclear power plants.
- G20 Planners 'Tweak Seating Order' to Keep Obama, Putin Apart VOA 04 Sep 2013 -- It's often the quiet moves that tell you about the real atmosphere of relations between heads of state.
- Putin 'Doesn't Exclude' UN Action On Syria RFE/RL 04 Sep 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said Moscow "does not exclude" supporting a UN resolution on military strikes against Syria if it is proved Damascus used poison gas on its own people.
- Russia’s Mediterranean Task Force to Rotate 4 Ships RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2013 -- A new group of ships from Russia’s Black Sea Fleet will join the country’s Mediterranean task force within days.
- Russian Defense Ministry Orders $90M Tanker RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2013 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has announced a tender for the delivery of a fuel tanker with a maximum contract price of 3.08 billion rubles ($90 million).
- Russian Space Industry to Be Consolidated Within Year – Rogozin RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2013 -- Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin confirmed plans to consolidate Russia’s space industry.
- With Belarus's Economy In Balance, Lukashenka Stands Up To Russia RFE/RL 04 Sep 2013 -- Perhaps the last thing Russian President Vladimir Putin expected was to be blindsided by his usually loyal ally, Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Suspect in Putin Murder Plot Pleads Guilty RIA Novosti 04 Sep 2013 -- A Kazakhstan national accused of plotting to kill Russian President Vladimir Putin admitted his guilt ahead of his upcoming trial in Moscow.
- Russia to Spend $650Bln on Arms Purchases by 2020 RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2013 -- Russia will spend $650 billion for the rearmament and modernization of its armed forces up to 2020.
- Russia Has No Plans to Expand Mediterranean Fleet RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2013 -- Russia’s naval force in the Mediterranean Sea will not be expanded despite the worsening situation in the region.
- Russian Naval Task Force Sets Sail for East Arctic RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2013 -- A naval task force from Russia’s Northern Fleet is heading to the eastern Arctic.
- Russia’s Finance Ministry Wants to Cut Defense Ministry Staff RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2013 -- Russia’s Finance Ministry said that it can cut Defense Ministry costs by at least 1.2 billion rubles ($36 million) next year.
- Completion of Russian Spaceport Facilities Delayed – Official RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2013 -- Completion of some facilities at Russia’s new Vostochny cosmodrome will be delayed by up to two months.
- Russia's Ombudsman Files NGO 'Foreign Agent' Law Appeal - Report RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2013 -- Russia’s Human Rights Commissioner has lodged an appeal against some provisions of a controversial law which brands NGOs as foreign agents.
- Over 80 Russian Warships on Sea Duty Across World RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2013 -- More than 80 Russian naval warships and support vessels are currently at sea at combat readiness.
- Russia sends reconnaissance ship to Mediterranean, Interfax says PressTV 02 Sep 2013 -- Russia has sent its Priazovye reconnaissance ship to the eastern Mediterranean tasked with collecting information in the tense region.
- Russian Coast Guard to Get New Missile Systems, Aircraft by 2020 RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2013 -- The Russian Navy’s Coast Guard Troops will receive about 20 new missile systems and over 70 aircraft and helicopters by 2020.
- UAE Firm Plans to Help Turn Russian Helicopter Into Attack Drone RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2013 -- Defense firms in the United Arab Emirates and Russia are planning to develop an unmanned combat aerial vehicle based on Russia’s Berkut VL helicopter.
- Russia Begins ‘Open Skies’ Flights Over US RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2013 -- Russian military inspectors will begin a series of monitoring flights over the United States Monday under the international Open Skies Treaty.
- Russian Defense Ministry to Hire Civilian Doctors RIA Novosti 02 Sep 2013 -- The Russian Defense Ministry will hire civilian staff on a contract basis to meet the current shortage of military doctors.
- Russia Orbits Israeli Communications Satellite RIA Novosti 01 Sep 2013 -- Russia has orbited an Israeli communications satellite.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list