Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2013 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Hollande Thanks Moscow for Mali, Afghanistan Support RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2013 -- French President Francois Hollande thanked his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on Thursday for Russia's support for the military operation in Mali and assistance in the withdrawal of French troops from Afghanistan.
- Defense Minister Slams Property Service Company RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2013 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu on Wednesday criticized the performance of some defense-related agencies, as well as mistakes made by his predecessor Anatoly Serdyukov.
- Putin Orders Defense Ministry to Get House in Order RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2013 -- President Vladimir Putin instructed the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces on Wednesday to sort out issues related to housing for soldiers and the problems affecting garrison towns.
- Airborne Forces to Take on Rapid Response Role - Minister RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2013 -- Russia's Airborne Forces (VDV) should expand the scope of their mission and be prepared to operate as a rapid reaction force, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Wednesday.
- Strategic Balance Being Disrupted - Putin RIA Novosti 27 Feb 2013 -- Systematic attempts are being made to undermine the existing strategic balance of forces, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday at a meeting with senior military staff at the Russian Defense Ministry.
- Litvinenko family lawyer accuses UK of coverup Iran Press TV 27 Feb 2013 -- The lawyer for the family of former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko says Britain and Russia are conspiring to try to close an inquiry into his murder for the sake of bilateral trade ties.
- Russian Paratroopers to Receive Indigenous Armored Vehicles RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Airborne Troops will be mainly equipped with domestically-designed armored vehicles.
- Aircraft Industry Should Use Local Suppliers – Medvedev RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- The Russian aircraft industry should use local suppliers and reduce dependence on imported parts and components.
- ‘Faulty Ukrainian Parts’ Blamed for Zenit Launch Failure RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- The crash of a Russian Zenit-3SL rocket earlier this month was caused by defective components manufactured in Ukraine.
- Kerry, Lavrov to Discuss Syria VOA 26 Feb 2013 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is set to meet in Berlin with his Russian counterpart, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, for talks expected to focus on future prospects for war-torn Syria.
- Kerry, Lavrov Tackle Syria, Adoptions in ‘Constructive’ Talks RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- The United States and Russia will do “everything possible” to facilitate a dialogue between the Syrian government and the armed opposition, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Russia Upbeat, US Cool on Success in Lavrov-Kerry Talks RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- Russian diplomatic sources have expressed optimism about a possible breakthrough in missile defense negotiations at Tuesday's foreign ministers’ meeting in Berlin.
- No Grounds for New ‘Cold War’ Says PM Medvedev RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has again dismissed speculations that the Russian-US relations are entering a new stage of the Soviet-era ‘Cold War’ and reiterated that Moscow and Washington can successfully cooperate on a variety of issues.
- Russia Finances Lithuania’s Nuclear Waste Site RIA Novosti 26 Feb 2013 -- Russia is currently financing the construction of a radioactive waste storage facility at Lithuania’s Ignalina nuclear power plant.
- New Arms Program to Change Russia by 2020 - Rogozin RIA Novosti 23 Feb 2013 -- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said the implementation of Russia's ambitious arms procurement program will bring drastic changes to the country by 2020.
- Russia Plans Black Sea Fleet Rearmament – Ukrainian Minister RIA Novosti 23 Feb 2013 -- Russia has announced plans to rearm its Black Sea Fleet and has asked Ukraine to settle the issues regarding the planned deliveries of new weapons to the naval force, Ukraine's defense minister said on Saturday.
- Police Carry Out Searches in Space Firm Fraud Case RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- Police have conducted searches as part of an investigation into alleged fraud at a satellite communications company, the Interior Ministry's Moscow branch said on Friday, but did not give further details.
- Surprise Check Reveals 'Systemic Problems' in Russian Military RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- A series of random checks in the Russian Armed Forces this week revealed a number of systemic shortcomings, General Staff chief Valery Gerasimov said on Friday.
- Defense Ministry to Buy Tigr Armored Vehicles RIA Novosti 22 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is interested in buying Russian-made Tigr (Tiger) armored vehicles, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Friday.
- Russia, NATO to Hold Gulf of Aden Anti-Piracy Exercise RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Navy's Udaloy I class anti-submarine destroyer Severomorsk will take part in a NATO anti-piracy exercise in the Gulf of Aden, Navy spokesman Capt. First Rank Vadim Serga said on Thursday.
- Cost of Oboronservis Fraud Now at $433 Mln Say Investigators RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2013 -- The estimated cost of fraud from the illegal sale of Russian Defense Ministry property in the Oboronservis case has risen to over 13 billion rubles ($433 mln), Investigative Committee head Alexander Bastrykin said on Thursday.
- Serdyukov's Refusal to Testify Legal - Chief Military Prosecutor RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2013 -- Russia's chief military prosecutor, Sergei Fridinsky, said on Wednesday he saw no violations in former defense minister Anatoly Serdyukov's refusal to answer investigators' questions.
- Ilyushin Signs $2.6 Bln Deal for 32 Bombardier Airliners RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2013 -- Russian leasing company Ilyushin Finance Co. (IFC) has signed a $2.56 billion deal with Canadian airplane manufacturer Bombardier to buy 32 CS-300 medium-haul aircraft, Bombardier said on Thursday.
- Russian Military to Develop Anti-Meteorite Defenses RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Aerospace Defense Forces will develop a series of measures aimed at protecting the Russian soil from falling meteorites and other dangerous space objects, commander of the western military district's aviation Maj. Gen. Igor Makushev said on Wednesday.
- Russian Military Plans to Buy New Aerial Tankers – Source RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2013 -- The Defense Ministry and Russia's United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) are close to signing a deal for new Ilyushin Il-78 Midas aerial refuelling tankers for the Russian Air Force, a UAC source told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.
- Later Borey Class Subs to Carry Only 16 Missiles – Source RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2013 -- Russia's upgraded Project 955A (Borey-A) class nuclear-powered strategic submarines will carry only 16 Bulava ballistic missiles each rather than the 20 missiles previously reported, a senior defense industry source said on Wednesday.
- Russia Probes 25 Defense Ministry Fraud Cases RIA Novosti 20 Feb 2013 -- The Russian authorities are investigating about 25 separate instances of fraud in the widely-publicized Oboronservis case involving illegal sale of the Russian Defense Ministry's property, Prosecutor General Yury Chaika said on Wednesday.
- Russia sends four more warships to Mediterranean Sea near Syria Iran Press TV 19 Feb 2013 -- A flotilla of four Russian warships is heading to the Mediterranean Sea near the Syrian waters, Russian Defense Ministry says.
- S-1000 submarine - joint Russian-Italian development Voice of Russia 19 Feb 2013 -- Russia and Italy are resuming their joint development S-1000 submarine, which is an export version of the Amur class submarine. The joint development is between Rubin Design Bureau of Russia and Fincantieri of Italy.
- Russian Officials Say City Survived 'Space Attack VOA 18 Feb 2013 -- The governor of Russia's meteorite-hit Chelyabinsk region wants world leaders to come to his remote region to discuss how the international community can defend against such threats in the future.
- Modernized S-300 Missiles in Air Defense Exercise RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2013 -- Modernized S-300 surface-to-air missiles will shoot down "enemy" fighters in an exercise in Russia's Western Military District, the district's press service said on Monday.
- Russian Terminators at Abu Dhabi Arms Fair Voice of Russia 18 Feb 2013 -- Over 200 best samples of guns and military equipment are represented at the world's largest IDEX-2013 arms fair in Abu Dhabi. The Russian T-90C tank took part in the ceremonial parade on the occasion of opening the fair. Experts also noticed the Russian Terminator, a tank support fighting vehicle.
- NATO Secretary General Discusses Cooperation with Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov NATO 18 Feb 2013 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen discussed strengthening NATO-Russia cooperation with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Monday 18 February.
- Russian FM Says Moscow Not Smuggling Tank Parts to Syria RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2013 -- Following Finland's seizure last week of tank parts reportedly bound for Syria from Russia, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday that Moscow had not tried to smuggle arms components to Syria via Finland.
- Lavrov, Kerry Talk Syria Settlement, North Korea Test RIA Novosti 17 Feb 2013 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his US counterpart John Kerry discussed measures to end the Syrian crisis, and also Pyongyang's third nuclear test, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
- Deputy Prime Minister Backs New Space Defense System RIA Novosti 16 Feb 2013 -- Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on Saturday backed calls to establish a new system to identify and neutralize threats in space.
- NATO-Russia military-to-military direct line NATO 15 Feb 2013 -- On 14 February 2013, General Knud Bartels, Chairman of NATO’s Military Committee and Chairman of the NRC Military Representatives, initiated an historical phone call with Colonel-General Valeriy Gerasimov, Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation.
- Russian Draftees not to Take Part in Warfare – General Staff RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- Russian draftees will not take part in combat operations, a top Russian defense official said.
- Almaz-Antei to Showcase New Battlefield Radars RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- Russia’s air-defense systems manufacturer Almaz-Antei will for the first time show mockup models of advanced battlefield surveillance radar systems.
- Aviation Watchdog Restarts Aeroflot’s Superjet-100 Flight Certificates RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- Russian aviation watchdog Rosaviatsia has restored airworthiness certificates to three of four Sukhoi SSJ-100 airliners operated by Russia's largest airline Aeroflot.
- Russian Meteor Fall Injures Hundreds RFE/RL 15 Feb 2013 -- Officials says hundreds of people have sought medical assistance in central Russia's Ural Mountains after a meteor burned up in the lower atmosphere.
- Meteorite Hits Central Russia, Hurting Hundreds RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- A hail of meteorite fragments fell in central Russia on Friday morning, hurting hundreds of people and damaging thousands of buildings.
- Meteor Causes Panic in Russia VOA 15 Feb 2013 -- Russian officials say a meteor hit in the Chelyabinsk region, near the country’s Ural Mountains, setting off blasts that injured more than 750 people, mainly by broken glass.
- Russian Nuclear Sites Unharmed by Meteors – Atomic Agency RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- The hail of meteor pieces that hit Russia fell in a region with a cluster of major nuclear facilities, including the country’s largest nuclear fuel-processing plant.
- Russian Meteorite Not Asteroid Debris – Space Agency RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2013 -- The meteorite that hit Russia’s Urals morning was not debris from the 2012 DA14 asteroid which is due to pass close by the Earth later the same day.
- Russia ‘Ready’ to Consider Further Nuclear Arms Cuts - Ministry RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- Moscow has not received any specific proposals from the United States concerning deeper cuts in strategic nuclear arsenals.
- Russian Navy Warplanes Start Arctic Patrols RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- Russian Northern Fleet aircraft have started patrolling the Arctic Ocean on a regular basis.
- Post-Soviet Integration is Unstoppable – Putin RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- Nothing can stop or slow down the reintegration of the post-Soviet space, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
- Russian Military Chief Predicts Resource Wars Soon RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- The level of existing and potential military threats for Russia may increase significantly by 2030, and wars for natural resources should be expected.
- Russian Army Aims to Recreate Prometheus Liver RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- The Russian military plans to enter the rapidly developing field of bioengineering with a tender for creation of an artificial human liver from human stem cells and animal tissue.
- FSB Chief: US Steps Up Geopolitical Pressure on Russia RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- Federal Security Service chief Alexander Bortnikov said the United States has increased geopolitical pressure on Russia in 2012.
- Putin Murder Plot Suspect Testifies, Alleges Torture RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- A man accused of planning to kill President Vladimir Putin ahead of last year’s presidential elections alleged in court that he had been tortured into confessing to the plot.
- Iran keen to cooperate with Russia on aerospace IRNA 14 Feb 2013 -- Iran is interested in cooperation with Russia in the field of aerospace, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said.
- Putin Orders FSB to Set Up Anti-Hacker Defense RIA Novosti 14 Feb 2013 -- President Vladimir Putin personally instructed the Federal Security Service to promptly set up a unified system to detect and counter computer-hacking attacks on Russia's IT resources.
- Russia Continuing Arms Sales to Syria VOA 13 Feb 2013 -- The head of Russia's state arms export agency says it is continuing to send weapons to the Syrian government, but that none of the equipment can be used offensively.
- Russia Vows To Continue Syria Arms Supply RFE/RL 13 Feb 2013 -- Russia’s state arms exporter says Moscow is still delivering weapons to Syria and has no intention to stop, despite the country's civil war.
- ‘No Warplanes’ for Syria Says Russian Arms Sales Boss RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2013 -- Russia’s state-run arms dealer Rosoboronexport is supplying air-defense missile systems and maintenance and servicing equipment to Syria but not combat aircraft.
- Russia Signs Record $17.6 Bln in Arms Contracts in 2012 RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2013 -- Russia signed a total of 1,309 arms contracts with 65 countries worth $17.6 billion in 2012.
- Iran, Russia to strengthen cooperation on space science IRNA 13 Feb 2013 -- In the 10th meeting of Iranian and Russian officials, the two sides agreed on strengthening mutual cooperation on space science.
- Kazakhstan, Russia Compromise on New Space Port RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2013 -- The new Kazakh-Russian space launch facility, Baiterek, will be modified for the launch of Zenit carrier rockets, Kazakhstan’s National Space Agency Kazcosmos head Talgat Musabayev said.
- Reports Say Obama To Announce Large Afghan Pullout RFE/RL 12 Feb 2013 -- Media reports say U.S. President Barack Obama will announce in his State of the Union address that he will bring 34,000 U.S. troops home from Afghanistan in the next 12 months.
- Russian Army Chief Visits Missile Academy RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2013 -- Russian Ground Forces chief Col. Gen. Vladimir Chirkin visited a military academy that trains Iskander missile crews, among other specialists.
- Russian Draftee Training to Be Reduced to 4 Months RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a decree reducing the duration of combat training programs for conscripts from six to just four months.
- Iran Wants to Develop Space Ties with Russia – Minister RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2013 -- Iran intends to develop space cooperation with Russia, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said.
- Sukhoi to Compensate Aeroflot for SSJ-100 Downtime RIA Novosti 12 Feb 2013 -- Russian aircraft maker Sukhoi will compensate national flagship airline Aeroflot for all losses resulting from periods of unserviceability affecting the airline’s new Sukhoi Superjet 100's.
- Russian Military Inspectors to Fly Over Italy RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2013 -- Russian military inspectors will begin a surveillance flight over the territory of Italy under the international Open Skies Treaty.
- Russian Defense Ministry Hands Back Orthodox Church Property RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2013 -- A seminary turned military aviation school is to be handed back to the Russian Orthodox Church, the Defense Ministry has announced.
- Russian President Sacks 6 Drug Police Generals, 1 Colonel RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin dismissed six generals and one colonel from the Federal Drug Control Service.
- Russia Orbits Progress Space Freighter RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2013 -- A Progress M-18M cargo spacecraft was launched from the Baikonur site in Kazakhstan and put into orbit.
- Russian Court Orders Udaltsov Under House Arrest RFE/RL 09 Feb 2013 -- A Moscow court has ordered the leader of the Left Front opposition movement, Sergei Udaltsov, placed under house arrest until April 6.
- Ex-Spy Service Officer Found Guilty of Coup Plot RIA Novosti 08 Feb 2013 -- The Moscow City Court found former military intelligence officer Vladimir Kvachkov guilty of masterminding an armed coup and sentenced him to 13 years in prison, the judge said at the end of the trial on Friday.
- Investigators Probe New South Russia Defense Property Sale RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2013 -- Investigators will question Defense Ministry officials over the alleged sale of real estate at artificially low prices at a Russian Black Sea coastal resort, Russian Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said on Thursday.
- Upgraded Ruslan Heavy Lifter to Start Testing 'Soon' RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2013 -- Modernization of the Antonov An-124-100 strategic heavylift aircraft Ruslan is nearing completion and the plane will soon undergo a series of standard trials, Russia's Aviastar aircraft plant said on Thursday.
- Japan Says Russia Violates Its Airspace, Moscow Denies It RFE/RL 07 Feb 2013 -- Japan says two Russian fighter jets have violated its airspace, just hours after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he favored a 'mutually acceptable solution' to a territorial dispute with Russia.
- Russian Navy Testing Missile Defense System in Caspian RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2013 -- The coastal missile unit of the Russian Navy's Caspian Flotilla is conducting a series of exercises to practice using the Navy's only Bal coastal missile system, a representative of the Southern Military District said Wednesday.
- Missile Sub Rejoins Russia's Northern Fleet After Refit RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Navy ballistic-missile submarine Verkhoturye has returned to service with the Northern Fleet after completing a refit, Fleet Spokesman Captain First Rank Vadim Serga said on Wednesday.
- Army Probes Reports of Kurils Soldiers Starving RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2013 -- The Russian military has launched a probe into media reports that soldiers and officers based on the Kuril Islands in the country's Far East were left to starve after being given rotten food, local Military Prosecutor's Office spokesman Andrei Metchenko said on Wednesday.
- Russia Kills Last Terror Suspect Linked to 2010 Metro Blasts RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2013 -- Russian special services reported on Wednesday that the last remaining rebel allegedly involved in the 2010 twin suicide bombing attacks that left 40 dead on the Moscow metro has been killed.
- Top Court Upholds Sentences in China Missile Spy Case RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2013 -- Russia's Supreme Court has upheld jail sentences handed down to two Russian university professors who were convicted of passing secret information about the navy's Bulava ballistic missile to the Chinese secret services, the Prosecutor General's Office announced on Tuesday.
- Russian Air Force to Get 48 Il-476 Transports RIA Novosti 05 Feb 2013 -- The Russian Air Force's Military Transport Aviation (MTA) will receive a total of 48 Ilyushin Il-476 heavy transport planes by 2020, rather than the previously stated 39, its commander Col. Gen. Vladimir Benediktov said on Tuesday.
- Defense Ministry Fraud Suspect Released Under Plea Bargain RIA Novosti 05 Feb 2013 -- Yekaterina Smetanova, a suspect in a large-scale fraud at the Russian Defense Ministry, has been released from custody with travel restrictions after fully cooperating with investigation, Russia's Investigative Committee said.
- Russian Weapons Sales Shift Away From East – Arms Official RIA Novosti 05 Feb 2013 -- Russia is losing arms markets in Asia and the Middle East, two of its traditional strongholds, but gaining new ones in Latin America and Africa, a Russian arms official said this week ahead of an aviation expo in India, a major buyer of Russian weaponry that has recently been opting for Western hardware.
- No Fuel in Russia For French-Built Warship - Deputy PM RIA Novosti 05 Feb 2013 -- Russia does not produce the type of fuel necessary for the French-made Mistral-class amphibious assault vessels it has ordered, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Tuesday.
- Russia Starts Kuril Islands Exercises RIA Novosti 05 Feb 2013 -- Russia has started large-scale military exercises in the disputed Kuril Islands in the country's far east, a military official said on Tuesday.
- Russian Defense Chief Promises Soldiers Showers by Year End RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2013 -- Russian soldiers will be able to trade in weekly trips to bathhouses for regular showers by year's end, according to plans announced Monday by Russia's defense chief.
- Russia's New Stealth Corvette to Start Trials in March RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2013 -- The crew of new Russian stealth corvette the Boyky, the third Project 20380 (Steregushchy class) vessel, will begin state trials in March, Baltic Fleet spokesman Capt. 2nd Class Vladimir Matveyev said Monday.
- Brazil Wants to Buy Russian Anti-Aircraft Weaponry – Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2013 -- Brazil's Defense Ministry intends to discuss purchasing air defense systems from Russia during talks with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev later this month, the ministry said on Sunday.
- U.S.-Russian Differences Brought Into Sharp Relief In Munich RFE/RL 02 Feb 2013 -- Differences between the United States and Russia have gone on sharp display at the annual Munich Security Conference.
- Russian Navy Chief Attends Mistral Lay-Down Ceremony in France RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2013 -- The Commander of the Russian Navy, Admiral Viktor Chirkov, will attend an official keel laying ceremony for the first Mistral-class amphibious assault ship being built at a French shipyard for Russia.
- Russia Completes Indian Carrier Engine Repairs RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2013 -- Russia’s Sevmash shipyard has fixed the engine problems which caused a delay in the delivery of the refitted aircraft carrier Vikramaditya to the Indian navy last year.
- Russia, Armenia Set Up Joint Defense Enterprises RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2013 -- Russia and Armenia are to establish joint defense enterprises under the Collective Security Treaty Organization.
- Alleged Canadian Spy Sold Secrets to Russia for $72,000 RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2013 -- A Canadian naval officer on a court trial under espionage charges received almost $72,000 for passing classified information to the Russian military.
- Zenit Rocket Launch Fails as Engine Shuts Down RIA Novosti 01 Feb 2013 -- A Zenit-3SL rocket carrying an Intelsat-27 telecoms satellite crashed into the Pacific Ocean shortly after launch.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list