Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2013 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Church vs. Nukes: The Dilemma of a Secret Russian Town RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- The city of Sarov, surrounded by a thick forest, is one of the most secretive places in the former Soviet Union.
- NATO Hopes for Missile Defense Accord with Russia RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen expressed hope again on Thursday for progress in missile defense talks with Russia in 2013.
- Russia to Prioritize Military Industry - PM Medvedev RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- Russia will pay special attention to the development of aircraft construction and shipbuilding, as well as the radio-electronic, space and nuclear industries in the next few years, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said.
- Russia, Armenia Agree to Set up Joint Defense Enterprises RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- Russia and Armenia have agreed on defense cooperation, including building joint defense enterprises and maintenance centers for military equipment.
- U.S. 'Regrets' Russian Decision To End Law-Enforcement, Drug Agreement RFE/RL 31 Jan 2013 -- The United States says it "regrets" a decision by Russia to terminate a bilateral agreement on cooperation in law enforcement and drug control.
- US ‘Regrets’ Russian Exit From Crime-Fighting Deal RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- The United States said that it regrets the Russian government’s decision this week to scrap a decade-old bilateral agreement under which it received financial aid from Washington to fight crime, including drug trafficking.
- Investigators to Probe Lack of Flight Ban After Tu-204 Crash RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2013 -- Russian investigators intend to question Transport Ministry officials to determine whether Tupolev Tu-204 airliners should have been grounded after one such plane crashed in December.
- Russia, Kazakhstan Sign Air Defense Agreement RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- Russia and Kazakhstan signed a deal to create a joint regional air defense system, Kazakhstan's Defense Ministry said.
- Russia Sends Naval Chaplains to Baltic Fleet RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- Eight military clergymen will be assigned to Russia’s Baltic Fleet in 2013.
- Russia Pulls Out of US Anti-Drug Agreement VOA 30 Jan 2013 -- Russia has announced it is pulling out of an agreement with the United States to work together on controlling illegal drugs.
- Russia Scraps Deal on US Crime-Fighting Aid RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- Russia has scrapped a decade-old agreement with the United States that granted Moscow financial aid to fight crime, including drug trafficking, the Russian government said.
- Pirelli Launches 2nd Tire Facility in Southwest Russia RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2013 -- Italian tire manufacturing giant has launched its second tire production line at its Voronezh facility in southwest Russia, the company said.
- IL-476 Airlifter Makes First Long Test Flight RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2013 -- A prototype Ilyushin Il-76MD-90A (also known as the Il-476) heavy-lift transport plane completed its first prolonged test flight.
- No Crisis in the Russian Space Industry – Roscosmos Head RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2013 -- Despite a number of failures in the past few years, rumors of a crisis in the Russian space industry are “absolutely wrong,” Federal Space Agency Roscosmos chief Vladimir Popovkin said.
- Russia’s Troubled Rocket Cleared for Launch RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2013 -- Russia’s Proton-M carrier rocket will orbit a Mexican communication satellite, SatMex-8.
- Russia Expands ‘Blacklist’ Targeting Americans - Lavrov RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2013 -- Russia confirmed it is extending its "Dima Yakovlev" blacklist to include more US citizens deemed to be human rights violators, who will be banned from entering the country.
- Putin's Little Helper RFE/RL 29 Jan 2013 -- When Vladimir Putin decided to detain reputed crime boss Semyon Mogilevich back in January 2008, he didn't use regular police, special forces, the Investigative Committee, or even the Federal Security Service.
- Russia to Buy 7 AW139 Helicopters RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2013 -- Russia’s Defense Ministry is planning to buy seven multirole AgustaWestland AW139 helicopters for 630 million rubles (about $20 million) this year.
- Who Is Ramazan Abdulatipov? RFE/RL 28 Jan 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has named former Russian Nationalities Minister Ramazan Abdulatipov as acting head of Abdulatipov's home Republic of Daghestan.
- Kremlin Reshuffles Dagestan Leadership RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2013 -- One of the most troubled regions in Russia’s restive North Caucasus got a new leader, in a Kremlin-backed reshuffle that garnered a wide range of early interpretations.
- 'No flexibility' in US Missile Talks - Medvedev RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2013 -- Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Sunday he sees "no flexibility" in a dispute over US missile defense plans, warning that a new arms race could emerge if talks fail.
- French Warship for Russia 'Won't Work in Cold' - Minister RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2013 -- Two amphibious assault ships bought for the Russian Navy from France in a 1.2 billion euro deal will not be able to operate in temperatures below seven degrees centigrade, Russia's Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin admitted on Saturday, in critical comments about the contract.
- Military Servicing Work Must be Outsourced - Minister RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2013 -- The Russian forces should hand over maintenance and support services to suitably-experience commercial enterprises, and will consider buying equipment abroad if local suppliers fail to come up to scratch, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Saturday in an interview with the Rossiya TV channel.
- Russia's Forces Are Ready for War - Army Chief RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2013 -- Russia's armed forces are ready for a major war, Chief of the military's General Staff Col. Gen. Valery Gerasimov said on Saturday.
- Russian Rear Admiral Assesses Pirate Threat RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2013 -- At least five well organized pirate groups are currently operational off the Somali coast, Rear Admiral Vasily Lyashok said in an interview with the Ekho Moskvy radio station on Saturday.
- Sukhoi Delivers 5 Su-34 Bombers to Russian Air Force RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2013 -- The Novosibirsk aircraft plant, part of the Sukhoi holding, delivered five multirole Su-34 strike aircraft to the Russian Air Force on Friday, the manufacturer said.
- Missile Forces Scam Cost Russia $3 Mln - Prosecutors RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2013 -- A fraud in Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN) has cost the state over 90 million rubles (about $3 million), the Prosecutor General's Office (PGO) said on Friday.
- Russia Denies Probe Into Soldiers' Sex Lives RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2013 -- Russia's Defense Ministry dismissed on Friday media reports that it would seek to determine the sexual orientation of its soldiers by inspecting their tattoos, and insisted it was only concerned with protecting their health.
- Russian Police Probe $17 Mln Missile Forces Fraud RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2013 -- Police have uncovered the embezzlement of hundreds of millions of rubles of state funds from Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN), the Interior Ministry said on Thursday.
- Defense Industry Boss Slams 'Absurd' French Ship Deal RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2013 -- A senior Russian defense industry official described as "absurd" on Thursday a previously-agreed deal to purchase two French-built Mistral assault ships for the Russian Navy.
- Russian Paras Get IT-Phone Digicoms RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2013 -- Russia's Airborne Forces (VDV) have begun using its new Tsivik digital telecommmunications system which uses IT-Phone software, VDV spokesman Alexander Kucherenko said on Thursday.
- Russia Ratifies Eurasian Antiterror Agreement RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2013 -- The Federation Council, the upper house of the Russian parliament, ratified on Wednesday an agreement with the Eurasian Group on Combating Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism (EAG) in the presence of the EAG Secretariat in Russia.
- Russian Navy to Get Dugon Landing Ships This Year RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2013 -- Russia's Navy is to receive its first three Project 21820 Dugon-class assault landing ships in 2013-2014, a navy representative said on Wednesday.
- Russia to Sign Final Mars Probe Deal in March RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2013 -- Russia's space agency Roscosmos and its European counterpart the European Space Agency (ESA) will sign a final agreement on March 15 on the ExoMars project, whose goal is to send unmanned probes to Mars, Roscosmos spokeswoman Anna Vedisheva said on Tuesday.
- Russia Sells Record $15 Bln of Arms in 2012 RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2013 -- Russia sold a record $15.16 billion worth of weaponry in 2012 while expanding its foreign client list.
- Italian Combat Vehicle in New Fight With Russian Tigr RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2013 -- A controversial contract for the delivery of Italian light multirole vehicles to Russia appears to have survived the recent reshuffle of the Russian Defense Ministry's leadership.
- Russia to Hold Black Sea Antiterror Drills RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2013 -- A Russian naval force will hold antiterrorism exercises in the Black Sea within the next few days.
- FSB to Beef Up Cyber Defense RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2013 -- President Vladimir Putin has ordered Russia’s Federal Security Service to create a system designed to detect and prevent cyber-attacks against information resources in Russia.
- FSB Tenders for Micro-UAV Sensor Package RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2013 -- Russia’s Federal Security Service announced a tender for research on a potential sensor system for a micro-unmanned air vehicle project.
- Russia Set for Year’s First Baikonur Space Launch Feb. 5 RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2013 -- In the first space launch from the Baikonur space port this year, a Russian carrier rocket Soyuz-2.1a is to orbit six Globalstar-2 communication satellites on February 5.
- Russia 'Flexes Muscles' in Mediterranean Amid Syrian Crisis RIA Novosti 20 Jan 2013 -- Russia has started the largest naval exercises in the past few decades in the Mediterranean and Black Seas as a civil war in Syria continues to gain momentum.
- Russia Starts Third Borey-Class Sub Test RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2013 -- Russian submarine-builder Sevmash has begun moored tests of the third Borey-class submarine Vladimir Monomakh.
- Russia Plans to Revive Shipbuilding on Black Sea Coast RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2013 -- Russia is planning to construct shipbuilding and ship-repair facilities on the Black Sea coast to ensure proper maintenance of its civilian and military fleets in the region.
- Shoigu Orders Doubling of Air Force HQ Staff RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2013 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has ordered a doubling of staff at the Air Force headquarters in Moscow.
- Russian Army Says Goodbye to Earflaps RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2013 -- The Russian Army will drop its traditional fur hat with ear flaps in favor of modern winter headgear.
- Eurasian Integration No 'Reincarnation of USSR' - Nazarbayev RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2013 -- Former Soviet states' involvement in Eurasian integration does not herald a return to the Soviet Union, Kazakhstan's President Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
- Russia Confirms Existence of 'Guantanamo List' Against US RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2013 -- Russia confirmed on Friday the existence of its "Guantanamo List," which it said was a retaliatory measure for the US Congress' passage of the Magnitsky Act.
- Russian T-50 Fighter Jet Completes First Long-Range Flight RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2013 -- Russia's prototype fifth-generation Sukhoi T-50 fighter jet has carried out its first long-range flight.
- Putin Death Plot Suspect Retracts Testimony, Claims Torture RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2013 -- Adam Osmayev, a suspect in an alleged plot to assassinate Russian President Vladimir Putin last January who is currently on trial in Ukraine, claimed torture and retracted his earlier testimony as having been made under duress.
- German Court Allows Russian Spy Suspects Brief Reunion RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2013 -- A German-based couple accused of spying for Russia was allowed a brief reunion for the first time since their arrest in October 2011.
- Russia Conducts Simulated Missile Launch RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2013 -- The Central Command Post of Russia’s Strategic Missile Forces conducted a simulated missile launch.
- Russia Moves Ahead With ‘Kalashnikov’ Merger RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2013 -- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has visited small-arms maker Izhmash and discussed the prospects of the company’s merger with another leading small-arms manufacturer under the famed Kalashnikov brand.
- Fourth Suspect Arrested in Defense Fraud Case RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2013 -- A Moscow court has ordered the arrest of another senior Defense Ministry official in connection with a massive fraud probe at a state defense firm.
- Trial Against Alleged Russian Spies Begins In Germany RFE/RL 15 Jan 2013 -- A married couple has gone on trial in Germany for allegedly spying for Russia.
- Russia Pledges $1 Bln Arms Loan to Bangladesh RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2013 -- Russia will issue a $1 billion loan to Bangladesh for purchases of Russian-made arms and military equipment, Russian President Vladimir Putin said after talks with Bangladesh's Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
- HeliVert Flies First Russian AW139 Helicopter RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2013 -- The first Western helicopter to be built under license in Russia successfully performed its maiden flight last month.
- Russia Launches Three Military Satellites RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2013 -- Russia has launched three Cosmos series military-purpose satellites, the Aerospace Defense Forces spokesman said.
- Russia to Lend Bangladesh $500 Million for NPP Construction RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2013 -- Russia will allocate a $500 million loan to Bangladesh to finance the first phases of a joint project to build the country’s first nuclear power plant.
- Russia to Launch Lunar Mission in 2015 RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2013 -- Russia will launch a robotic lunar station in 2015, Federal Space Agency Roscosmos chief Vladimir Popovkin said.
- Russia to Lay Down Two Improved Borey Class Subs in 2013 RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2013 -- Russia’s Sevmash shipyard will lay down in 2013 two upgraded Borey class nuclear-powered strategic submarines.
- Russia Set to Launch Three Military Satellites RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2013 -- Russia will launch on Tuesday three Cosmos series military-purpose satellites, the Defense Ministry said.
- Russian Army: Footwraps Are Out, Socks Are In RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2013 -- Over many years, the cloth wrapping worn by soldiers under their heavy boots has become a symbol of Russian military tradition and a nostalgic memento for many former conscripts.
- Russian Defense Minister Declares War On Footwraps RFE/RL 14 Jan 2013 -- Russia's new defense minister has ordered the army to do away with footwraps, still widely used by Russian servicemen as a substitute for socks.
- Defense Minister Shoigu Fires Top Military Doctor RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2013 -- Russia’s Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu dismissed the acting chief military doctor following the deaths of a number of soldiers from pneumonia.
- Official Stripped of Real Estate over MiG Airframe Fraud RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2013 -- A court in Russia has ordered the seizure of real estate from a former official found guilty of fraud involving fighter jets for Syria.
- Russian Space Industry to Double Output by 2020 – Program RIA Novosti 12 Jan 2013 -- An ongoing reform of Russia's ailing space industry should double its output by 2020, according to a new state program published on Saturday.
- Former Russian Defense Minister Refuses To Answer Questions RFE/RL 11 Jan 2013 -- Former Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov has again refused to answer investigators' questions over a multimillion-dollar property fraud case.
- Russian Navy Holds Syria Exercises RIA Novosti 11 Jan 2013 -- Ships of the Russian Black Sea Fleet and Baltic Fleets are to start exercises off the coast of Syria the Russian Defense Ministry said on Friday.
- Ex-Defense Minister Serdyukov Declines to Testify RIA Novosti 11 Jan 2013 -- Former Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov refused to testify on Friday when investigators questioned him over a massive fraud case at a state defense firm, citing his Constitutional right not to testify against himself.
- Associate of Arms Dealer Bout Arrested RIA Novosti 11 Jan 2013 -- A US-Syrian man accused of conspiring with convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout has been arrested in Australia at the behest of the United States, which is seeking to extradite the suspect.
- Russia Commissions First Borey Class Nuclear Sub RIA Novosti 10 Jan 2013 -- Russia's first Borey class ballistic missile nuclear submarine, the Yury Dolgoruky, was officially commissioned into the Russian Navy on Thursday.
- Russia, China Plan to Boost Cooperation on Missile Defense RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2013 -- Russia and China are planning to intensify their cooperation on missile defense in response to America's growing missile defense potential around the globe, Russian Security Council Secretary Nikolai Patrushev said on Wednesday.
- Invigorated Customs Union Presents Russia's Neighbors With Stark Choice RFE/RL 08 Jan 2013 -- Moscow seems to be growing frustrated with Ukraine's efforts to pursue closer ties with the European Union while simultaneously seeking benefits reserved for members of the Russia-led Eurasian Customs Union (ECU).
- Missile Forces To Double Number of Contract Soldiers RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2013 -- The share of contract soldiers in Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) will be more than doubled by 2017, an SMF spokesman said on Tuesday.
- Russia to Get 20 New Aerospace Defense Radars RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2013 -- Russia's Aerospace Defense Forces will received about 20 new radar stations this year, a Defense Ministry spokesman said on Tuesday.
- Russian Navy to Get 80 Support Ships by 2016 RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- The Russian Navy will receive about 80 support ships within the next three years, the Defense Ministry said on Sunday.
- 'Future Soldier' Uniform State Tests Slated for April RIA Novosti 06 Jan 2013 -- Russia will conduct in April state tests of military equipment sets Ratnik, nicknamed "future soldier uniforms," Defense Ministry ground forces spokesman Lt. Col. Nikolai Donyushkin said on Sunday.
- Russia, Sweden to Conduct Sub Rescue Drills RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2013 -- Russian and Swedish naval forces will hold a joint submarine rescue exercise, a Baltic Fleet spokesman said on Saturday.
- Russia's Caspian Flotilla to Get 5 Assault Ships RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2013 -- The Russian Caspian Flotilla will get two newest small-size missile ships and three Serna amphibious assault ships, a spokesman for the South military district said.
- US Says Remains Open For Missile Defense Talks With Russia RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2013 -- The United States is still interested in missile defense cooperation with Russia, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said on Thursday.
- Russia's Northern Fleet Looks Ahead to International Drills RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2013 -- Servicemen with Russia's Northern Fleet will take part in a series of joint international exercises in 2013, an official spokesperson for the fleet confirmed on Friday.
- Russian Navy to Get Over 50 New Warships by 2016 RIA Novosti 03 Jan 2013 -- The Russian Navy will get over 50 new warships by 2016, including strategic nuclear submarines and special operations support vessels, the Defense Ministry reported on Thursday.
- After The Storm: Trends To Watch In Russia In 2013 RFE/RL 02 Jan 2013 -- As 2012 wound down in Russia, the soaring expectations for change that accompanied the civic awakening and mass protests at the year's dawn had clearly faded. But the social, economic, and political forces that spawned them will continue to shape the landscape well into the new year.
- Russia to Hold Large-Scale Mediterranean, Black Sea Naval Drills RIA Novosti 02 Jan 2013 -- Russia will hold large-scale naval drills in the Mediterranean and Black Seas in late January with the involvement of warships from the Northern, Baltic, Black Sea and Pacific Fleets, the Russian Defense Ministry's press office reported on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list