Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2011 - Russia Special Weapons News
- FBI Releases Video On Russian Spy Ring RFE/RL 31 Oct 2011 -- The FBI has released video showing members of an alleged former Russian spy ring apparently secretly exchanging information and money.
- Russian 'Slave-Labor' Soldier Charged With Desertion RFE/FL 31 Oct 2011 -- A Russian soldier who claims he spent more than a decade in forced labor has been officially charged with desertion.
- Russian submarine test-fires Bulava missile successfully RIA Novosti 28 Oct 2011 -- The Russian Navy successfully test-fired an experimental Bulava (SS-N-X-30) intercontinental ballistic missile on Friday from its Yury Dolgoruky submarine in the White Sea, the Defense Ministry said.
- Flight safety body denies Mi-8 grounding order RIA Novosti 26 Oct 2011 -- Russian flight safety authority Rosaviatsia denies it has any plans to temporarily ground the nation’s fleet of Mil Mi-8T helicopters.
- Suspected Russian husband-wife spy team detained in Germany RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2011 -- Special Forces in Germany have detained an alleged Russian husband-wife spy team in the cities of Marburg and Balingen, Deutsche Welle reported on Saturday.
- No missile defense cooperation without guarantees – Lavrov RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2011 -- Moscow will not cooperate with NATO on a joint European missile defense network until it receives legally binding guarantees .
- Russia may exonerate Katyn victims – Lavrov RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2011 -- Moscow is ready to consider the exoneration of thousands of Polish officers, police and civilians killed by the Soviet secret police in 1940 in the Katyn massacre.
- Why Does The Russian Army Need A Lot More Snipers? RFE/RL 20 Oct 2011 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is planning crash courses to train large numbers of snipers - and train them fast.
- Russia offers help in fighting sea piracy in Gulf of Guinea RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2011 -- Russia is ready to join international efforts to curb sea piracy in the Gulf of Guinea.
- Two killed in Su-24 fighter-bomber crash in Russia's Far East RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2011 -- Two aircrew were killed on Thursday when a Russian Su-24 Fencer attack aircraft crashed at the Ukrainka military airfield in Russia's Far East.
- Russia confirms plans to rent pilot training facilities in Ukraine RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2011 -- Russia is ready to rent facilities on Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula for naval pilot training.
- U.S.-Russia missile defense talks deadlocked RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2011 -- Missile defense talks between Russia and the United States are deadlocked, but Moscow will not make concessions at expense of its security.
- Russia Cool To U.S. Invitation To Track Missile Tests RFE/RL 19 Oct 2011 -- Moscow has responded coolly to a U.S. invitation to monitor missile-defense flight tests.
- Russia wants missile shield 'thought out' first, then deployment RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2011 -- Russia’s foreign minister has said Russia, the US and others should work out new missile defense shield before building it.
- U.S. ready to provide Russia with written missile shield guarantees RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2011 -- The US is ready to provide Moscow with written assurance that defense shield is not directed against Russia.
- Defense Ministry claims 'misquoted' over order to withhold pay RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2011 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has dismissed claim Defense Minister instructed it to deprive contract servicemen of their pay.
- Russian soldier, mom convicted of spying for Georgia RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2011 -- The North Caucasus District Military Court found a Russian serviceman and his mother guilty of spying for Georgia.
- US and missile defense guarantees RIA Novosti 18 Oct 2011 -- The US is ready to provide Moscow with written assurance that the NATO-backed Euro missile defense shield is not directed against Russia.
- Russia interested in space missile defense system RIA Novosti 18 Oct 2011 -- Russian President Medvedev is interested in the so-called Strategic Earth Defense concept proposed by Russian NATO envoy Rogozin.
- Space industry workers’ negligence caused Russian spacecraft loss RIA Novosti 18 Oct 2011 -- Negligence by space industry enterprises’ employees was the reason for the loss of an satellite and freighter.
- Russia develops new long-range mobile radar RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2011 -- Russian scientists have developed and tested a new mobile radar which will soon become part of the country’s aerospace defenses.
- Second stealth corvette joins Russian Navy RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2011 -- St. Petersburg's Severnaya Verf shipyard will deliver a new stealth corvette to the Russian Navy at an official ceremony on Friday.
- Russian-U.S. naval anti-terror exercises begin in Pacific RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2011 -- The Russian and the United States navies began joint anti-terrorism exercises near the Mariana Islands on Thursday, a Russian Pacific Fleet spokesman said.
- Russian Air Force gets six new attack helicopters RIA Novosti 12 Oct 2011 -- A new batch of Mi-28N Night Hunter attack helicopters has been delivered to a pilot training center near Moscow, Defense Ministry spokesman Col. Vladimir Drik said on Wednesday.
- Kudrin to lose all government posts - Kremlin aide RIA Novosti 11 Oct 2011 -- Alexei Kudrin, former Russian deputy prime minister and finance minister, will lose all the seats on bodies and organizations he held in his capacity as a Russian government official, presidential aide Arkady Dvorkovich said on Tuesday.
- Iran says still puzzled over scrapped arms deal with Russia RIA Novosti 11 Oct 2011 -- The Iranian Foreign Ministry has expressed again its surprise over Russia's decision to scrap a deal to deliver S-300 air defense systems to Tehran but said this was unlikely to affect relations between the two countries.
- Kudrin dismissed from government's military and integration commissions RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2011 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin dismissed former Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Aleksei Kudrin from his posts in the government's military-industrial and economic development and integration commissions on Monday.
- Iran 'has no legal case' against Russia over scrapped S-300 deal RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2011 -- Iran has no legal grounds to receive damages from Russia over cancellation of a contract to deliver S-300 surface-to-air missile systems, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Russia relaxed about its security despite missile defense odds with NATO - Lavrov RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2011 -- Russia has its own defense projects that leave the country relaxed about its security despite the controversy with NATO over the European missile defense shield, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.
- Commentary - Vladimir Putin: Russia's Last Tsar? RFE/RL 09 Oct 2011
- NATO's view on cooperation with Russia in Europe's missile defense degraded - Rogozin RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2011 -- Positions of the Western negotiators on Russia-NATO cooperation about missile defense system in Europe became degraded, Russia's envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said.
- Russia sets priorities for federal space program RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2011 -- The Russian space agency Roscosmos has prioritized commercial use of its satellites as part of the federal space program until 2015.
- Kazakhstan lifts ban on launches of Russian ballistic missiles RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2011 -- Kazakhstan has lifted a moratorium on test launches of Russian intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) from the Baikonur space center, head of the Russian space agency Roscosmos Vladimir Popovkin said.
- Russia to lend Venezuela $4 bln to pay for arms deals RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2011 -- Russia and Venezuela have signed an agreement on a $4 billion loan for the oil-rich Latin American partner to buy Russian weaponry, Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez said on Thursday.
- Russia puts new Rus-M carrier rocket project on hold RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2011 -- The Russian space agency has dropped plans to construct a new Rus-M carrier rocket by 2015, Roscosmos head Vladimir Popovkin said on Friday.
- Russian army to form sniper units RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2011 -- Special sharpshooter units are being formed in Russia's ground forces brigades, Defense Ministry spokesman Lt. Col. Sergey Vlasov said on Friday.
- Russia threatens stop to missile defense cooperation RIA Novosti 06 Oct 2011 -- Russia warned on Thursday it may stop cooperation with the United States on a missile shield in Europe.
- Four Scenarios For Putin 2.0 RFE/RL 06 Oct 2011
- Development of S-500 air defense systems behind schedule - paper RIA Novosti 05 Oct 2011 -- The development of Russia's formidable S-500 air defense system is lagging behind schedule by at least two years, the Izvestia daily said on Wednesday citing a defense industry source.
- Russia arrests Chinese national for spying RIA Novosti 05 Oct 2011 -- Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) has detained a Chinese national they say was trying to gain access to secret information about the S-300 air defense system, the FSB said in a statement on Wednesday.
- Putin Calls For Eurasian Union In Former Soviet Space RFE/RL 04 Oct 2011 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has outlined a grand vision for integrating ex-Soviet states in his first major policy initiative since he announced his intention to return to the Kremlin.
- Defence ministers of India, Russia set to hold crucial talks IRNA 04 Oct 2011 -- India and Russia are set to hold crucial negotiations for speeding up deliveries of key weapons systems, including transfer of Nerpa class nuclear submarine on lease, and finalise the agenda for the bilateral summit scheduled for December-end.
- Russia to lease troubled nuclear sub to India in November RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2011 -- A Russian nuclear submarine in which 20 people died during a 2008 sea trial will be leased to India in mid-November, a source in the Russian defense industry said on Tuesday.
- Russia's Glonass Satellite Navigation System Hits Major Milestone RFE/RL 03 Oct 2011 -- A Soyuz booster rocket has successfully lifted a satellite for Moscow's prestige Global Navigation Satellite System (Glonass) into orbit, marking an important success for a project the Kremlin hopes will rival the United States' GPS and Europe's Galileo systems.
- NATO optimistic over European missile shield RIA Novosti 03 Oct 2011 -- NATO's missile shield for Europe is gradually becoming a reality, the alliance's Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Monday.
- Russia, U.S. will agree on missile defense data exchange system - U.S. envoy RIA Novosti 03 Oct 2011 -- Russia and the United States will sign an agreement on the information exchange system of the European missile defense shield during the NATO-Russia Council summit in Chicago in May 2012, Ambassador to Moscow John Beyrle said in an interview with Russian business daily Kommersant.
- Russia vows maximum efforts to scrap chemical weapons RIA Novosti 03 Oct 2011 -- Russia will do everything possible to destroy as soon as possible its remaining stockpiles of chemical weapons, the Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- Russian Pacific Fleet task force heads to Mariana Islands RIA Novosti 01 Oct 2011 -- A Russian Pacific Fleet task force led by the missile cruiser Varyag has completed its courtesy visit to the Japanese port of Maizuru and set sail for U.S. Mariana Islands, the fleet spokesman said on Saturday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list